Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why should I buy this game?

gdwitt's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Why should I buy this game?

It's the most moddable of any TW game so far. It has historical depth and many features that can be tooled with to make it seem historically accurate.

To me it's the last of the inspired games of TW. I particularly love that you can evolve many factions by acomplishing the missions. If you conquest certain territories (following the history happenings) your faction is renamed and you get powerful bonusses. The game feels dread and dangerous and you have constant fear of the huns. I suggest not to obsess to start with western roman empire (as it's absolutely nerfed and almost impossible to stabilize happiness unless you're veeeery experienced).

Should've read this thread before, probably I would've not buyed it.

Btw, I have just a few questions:

1) How do I select only some units to move from a settlement or to split an army? I'm using ctrl+left mouse click (same as in M2TW and previous Total War games), however the whole army moves out. Why?

2) Is it possible to remove mouse rotation during battles? I hate it.

Any help here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Rós View Post
    Should've read this thread before, probably I would've not buyed it.
    This is - as every CA game - a good and a bad game in one. It depends on what you are looking for.

How do I select only some units to move from a settlement or to split an army? I'm using ctrl+left mouse click (same as in M2TW and previous Total War games), however the whole army moves out. Why?
    Things changed from Rome II at least. You cannot do it any longer. Armies need general now. That is probably done to limit number of active armies due to global armies limit.

Is it possible to remove mouse rotation during battles? I hate it.
    There is an option button, try to look for alternative set. However i would start from checking your mouse, i didn't noticed any unusual "mouse rotation", if it really happened you would see a lot of complains about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgma View Post
    Things changed from Rome II at least. You cannot do it any longer. Armies need general now. That is probably done to limit number of active armies due to global armies limit.

I see. It sucks, though.

There is an option button, try to look for alternative set. However i would start from checking your mouse, i didn't noticed any unusual "mouse rotation", if it really happened you would see a lot of complains about it.
    My mouse works great I think it's a default option, maybe introduced from Rome II onward. In M2TW there wasn't such thing. And I tried to look for alternative set, would you be more precise? Thanks

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Cgma View Post
    That settles it then Atilla is not worth buying and I was tempted to buy Atilla for 9.99 € on Steam yesterday during the Steam sale, which ends tomorrow the 27th I think.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

In many ways, it is superior to Rome II. And in many ways, inferior to Rome II... So just wait until it's on sale and buy it. You might end up enjoying it more than Rome II. The game runs like though during big battles.

Can you recommend some good mods for it

Miles

Good discussion. I just discovered Attila TW, and dropped in with the same question posed in this thread. Presently I keep playing Medieval2 Grand Campaign, because I have to have the AI mod with no bugs by Lusted. I disliked Shogun2 and Rome2.

After reading all, I remain convinced by the positive rundown by Theramines at the start. Very informative. From later advice, it appears I will love Attila for one good play, but probably get frustrated by some silly aspects, like the “random holes” in walls that appear due to the siege-escalation system, as discussed a little heatedly but well by AnthoniusII and others. More compelling is the comment by AnthoniusII that good siege elements “require a good AI that CA/Sega developers can not develop” (capitalized), followed by criticism by Abdülmecid I of the campaign map and other strategic features that make victory a “a boring and painful chore.”

It looks like I shill have to get Attila for the beauty of the experience at least once. I’m also going to try the mod mentioned by Theramines for Rome2, Divide et Imperi. Thanks for the help.

I think Attila has some of the best mods in the franchise and probably has the most longevity also. Its deffinetly worth getting on a steam sale or regularly if you are a franchise fan.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Mods. Mods save this game. Settlements are huge eyesores, battles are arcady and the whole thing feels geared towards children under 15. The lack of detail is appalling. I wish CA made more detailed, grown up games.
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

it's the most easily moddable total war game except for shogun 2 and some very old total wars like medival 2 and rome 1

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

The game is very, very good. I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea but I personally love it, I find it a very solid game, better than Rome 2 in many aspects and also the Charlemagne DLC is a good precursor to Medieval times.

Bonus points - Empires of Sand DLC is excellent. Aksum Kingdom campaign was a joy.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

I don't know. I bought this game on Steam, but compared to MDV TW2 I found it much more difficult. The mechanics of diplomacy and trading I absolutely do not understand, as well as religion.

I have played Attila over 300 hours but I never seem to be able to return to the game properly over other total wars since it lacks many basic features of other total war games and still suffers from immersion breaking bugs and design choices. There are of course a lot of good mods but they never seem to fix these problems completely.

Attila does not have defence stance for units, which means for example in battle your archers will target and eventually follow enemy units until the ends of the battle map with a single target command which is a huge set back from other total wars where you could order units hold ground instead.

In Attila the bow animations are really immersion breaking: Arrows fly back to the hands of the shooter to be shot once again in the next volley.

In addition Attila does not have flags to mark units in battle or in campaign map but instead plain colored enemy/ally colors or simple floating symbols. Visually Attila is a bit messy and mixed in tones in comparison for example pleasant color world of Rome II.

To be honest, Attila should have been a expansion of Rome II and not a different release. Now whenever I want to play Attila I am forced to bargain away defence stance and archer animation immersion, flags, visuals etc while I can have all those and even more in Rome II especially when playing it with Divide et Impera mod. And frankly I seem to make a choice always for the Rome II these days since eventhough I fancy Attila's period and it's mods because the problems of Attila just bother me too much to enjoy the game completely

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123