Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should I buy this game?

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Why should I buy this game?

What a constructive criticism...
    And what to compare in the pic in AOE 2 where a noob has incorporated a Tower to be apart of the wall and not behind it vs Attila low tier level walled city ? Both tower designs are stupid overall just like it was for the barbarians in Rome 2 and the towers in low level siege maps in Shogun 2.A compromise where gameplay and pathfinding vs History. Ask next why the wrong sandals on the Romans next and you are got yourself in that 15+ years old meme on the TWC forums.Its the same...

Fantacy?? Where? let me see and count battles that had Siege escalation in Documented History:
    Siege of Constatinopole (1453)

Both Sieges of Masada and Jerusalem in the Jewish revolt in Nero's time.

Siege of Antioch in the first crusade.

Sieges of Preslav and Silistra in the 970ad...

Countless Sieges in the Mongol Invasions.

Siege of Naisus led by the Huns and Attila in the Balkan campaigns

And countless others.Sorry if I Forgot some in later Time periods and those in the Modern Period like Stalingrad,Leningrad in WW2 or Siege of Allepo in the Syrian Civil War with the heavy use of gunpowder and Artillery.

The ratio of sieges where there was siege escalation and those with not I Should say its quite even overall.
    In Total War terms translated to sieges who lasted only 1 turn an then the city is attacked vs Sieges who lasted for more than one turn.I see no problem here.

As for the 717-8 Siege it was more of a attacker Blocade vs defender`s counter Blocade.A Battle already won by kanasubigi or khan Tervel and the bulgarians and the greeks getting the upper hand after the Arabs were pinned down for months already on the european side of the siege.

As for the AI attacking from Different point of the Siege map I should say its the Same as with Shogun 2 where its 80% not the same and its all fine .But if you make 4 attacking Armies with 80 units in a custom Siege you can see something buggin out due to the optimisation of Attila.

As for the rest of your statements I see no constructive criticism and its only Ad hominem attacks due to a lack of good arguments.

Best of luck playing AoE 2 in 2018 mate.That Game isnt the same as the Total war games.Personaly I prefure Empire Earth 2.

Изпратено от моят GT-I9301I с помощта на Tapatalk
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; July 26, 2018 at 10:02 AM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

You mention so many sieges but in most of them walls NEVER have been damaged since the 1453 that cannons were used!
    Even Massada's walls did not damaged because Roman builded a earth ramp to carry a siege ram but when that ram reached the top of the hill the walls did not damaged because Romans went over them without resistance.
    Learn to read... Mongols and before them Avars had trebushets that did not exist in Attila time frame at all.
    Also the barbarians had no clue of how to build catapults and other siege equipment and used timbers as primitive ladders to climb the walls!
    The Crusader that wrote about the 1st Crusade mentioned how Crusaders were AMMASED when the Roman Emperor gave them siege artilery equipement that THEY NAVER SAW IN THEIR LIVES BEFORE!!!! And we are talking in 1095! Immagine what happened earlier. But for the game's sake barbarians have access to artilery to smash down walls.That is acceptable but without catapults HOW a wall can be dammaged?
    By magic? By rain and wind or by Jesus of Davi horns?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

@AnthoniusII I was thinking about your words. In theory it could be done better to depict sieges.

Sappers - these are long term mechanics, you cannot depict them dynamically on TW battles if you don´t want another suicide petard ala AoE II. Only possible solution here i can imagine is that with longer seiges (after more turns) you will have more undermined segment of walls, which could be triggered and destroyed..similar to deployable defenses or one time abilities. However this is very similar to how walls are damaged after previous sieges.

Ramps - Again, static feature with longer sieges you will have a few ramps will appear at random segments of wall to allow units to scale them.

This would probably require redone to siege maps, some scripts maybe and AI should be able in such situation to use is...you are creating holes in walls after all. Maybe ask Attila AE team. Honestly some script which will add a few features depending on length of siege, that could maybe works here. :-)

Can I imagine barbarian factions without proper artillery? Yes, but it is in game probalby mainly for balance issues. Both barbarian artillery and torches are fine with me as backup for AI.

EDIT: main point is it doesn´t matter if it is by magic or Jesus, we need to translate the reality into a fun game. Staring 18 months at walls is boring as are sieges ending without battles. Ye, it is historical probably but you need at least partially fun things to keep people happy.
    Last edited by Daruwind; July 28, 2018 at 05:28 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    @AnthoniusII I was thinking about your words. In theory it could be done better to depict sieges.

Sappers - these are long term mechanics, you cannot depict them dynamically on TW battles if you don´t want another suicide petard ala AoE II. Only possible solution here i can imagine is that with longer seiges (after more turns) you will have more undermined segment of walls, which could be triggered and destroyed..similar to deployable defenses or one time abilities. However this is very similar to how walls are damaged after previous sieges.

Ramps - Again, static feature with longer sieges you will have a few ramps will appear at random segments of wall to allow units to scale them.

This would probably require redone to siege maps, some scripts maybe and AI should be able in such situation to use is...you are creating holes in walls after all. Maybe ask Attila AE team. Honestly some script which will add a few features depending on length of siege, that could maybe works here. :-)

Can I imagine barbarian factions without proper artillery? Yes, but it is in game probalby mainly for balance issues. Both barbarian artillery and torches are fine with me as backup for AI.

EDIT: main point is it doesn´t matter if it is by magic or Jesus, we need to translate the reality into a fun game. Staring 18 months at walls is boring as are sieges ending without battles. Ye, it is historical probably but you need at least partially fun things to keep people happy.
    I will repeat my words when Attila was 1st released about siege escalation:
    "Siege Escalation is a prommising feature as long it will be followed by some additions".
    1st: Wall assault to the besieged city with proper siege equipment (it can be huge rams/hellepolis, simple rams) or more sophisticated like catapults, onagers etc with the option to retreat after some wall will be dammaged without the siege broken like so falsed made in M2TW/Kingdoms.
    2nd: Siege Camp. In case that in the besieged city is an army of the player and each turn sufairs wall assaults , the player must have the option to sally out and take down besiegers camp and force them to retreat.
    I know that siege equipment was given to barbarians for gameplay ballance but that was not the issue from the start.
    The issue was/is/will remain that sieg escallation recuires actions from both AI and Player alike.
    That would make the game extremly realistic and historical . Imagine that AI comes every turn and starts borbarding with rocks your walls but you can not repair them enough. Some time you will need to make a desision. Come out and brake the siege or wait death from hanger and with not enough walls to protect you. Even sapping would have a sence if the general or the army has that skill but would require several turns. If you are a player a pop up message would say to you that "sounds are comming from deep of the earth meaning that our walls are in danger and desisions must be made soon"...
    But all these REQUIRE SMART AI that CA/SEGA developers CAN NOT develop!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Ye but many of these ideas while being historical/realistic are unnecessarily repetitive.
    1st: Wall assault to the besieged city with proper siege equipment (it can be huge rams/hellepolis, simple rams) or more sophisticated like catapults, onagers etc with the option to retreat after some wall will be dammaged without the siege broken like so falsed made in M2TW/Kingdoms.
    This is depicted in that more siege turns mean more siege equipment
    2nd: Siege Camp. In case that in the besieged city is an army of the player and each turn sufairs wall assaults , the player must have the option to sally out and take down besiegers camp and force them to retreat.
    I know that siege equipment was given to barbarians for gameplay ballance but that was not the issue from the start.
    You can break siege any time or at least try it. Having skirmishes every turn will be boring after a few turns. Basically the army attrition can simulate this. We can debate whether only attacker or defender or both should get it and under what conditions...
    Imagine that AI comes every turn and starts borbarding with rocks your walls but you can not repair them enough.
    See this is easily represented with more damaged walls at the beginning of battle with longer the siege continuous.
    If you are a player a pop up message would say to you that "sounds are comming from deep of the earth meaning that our walls are in danger and desisions must be made soon"...
    And this would be nice to have as Ancilliary or maybe skill for besieger/sieger commander to gain ability to initiate lighting strike/ambush type battle of city garrison vs the attackers.

The question YOU NEVER ANSWER neither CA/SEGA is how someone damages walls if his armies have NOT artilery units in them!!
    That is the question....That is WHY CA/SEGA developers chosen unwalled settlements....Its seams that people of the past were idiots and CA/SEGA DEVS are smart because people of the past fortified their settlements from the smallest to the biggest!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    The question YOU NEVER ANSWER neither CA/SEGA is how someone damages walls if his armies have NOT artilery units in them!!
    The very first question should be how do you propose "barbarian" faction to play. To have at least some artillery or none. To give them another mechanics to capture town or how...because you need it else playing these factions would be really boring. If the romans always buld up walls and barbarian would sack/capture such town only in rare occasions, it would be historical but in game terms romans will usually conquer slowly whole game...

Look at sack of Rome in 390, after lost battle the Gauls sacked Room as there were nobody manning walls and gates were opened. So army without artillery sacked walled city...with just torches?

Damaged walls over time / breaches in walls are equal to having ramps to the walls. It is just another entry point, in-game function is the same as are sappers. Yeah it will be nice to depict them but in-game function is the same as damage to walls over time...

Question about unwalled/walled settlements is more likely about Province system. I like unwalled settlements as they are nice change. Having all settlements with walls is boring after time. Of course if we have only so much detailed map, some many cities are actually delegated into "minor" size...So the question is turning into do you like Province system or not. I do as it is another layer in settlement/region-province-empire system. Of course you can prefer Attila style where you can build walls in all settlements. For me, both system are working.

The very first question should be how do you propose "barbarian" faction to play. To have at least some artillery or none. To give them another mechanics to capture town or how...because you need it else playing these factions would be really boring. If the romans always buld up walls and barbarian would sack/capture such town only in rare occasions, it would be historical but in game terms romans will usually conquer slowly whole game...

Look at sack of Rome in 390, after lost battle the Gauls sacked Room as there were nobody manning walls and gates were opened. So army without artillery sacked walled city...with just torches?

Damaged walls over time / breaches in walls are equal to having ramps to the walls. It is just another entry point, in-game function is the same as are sappers. Yeah it will be nice to depict them but in-game function is the same as damage to walls over time...

Question about unwalled/walled settlements is more likely about Province system. I like unwalled settlements as they are nice change. Having all settlements with walls is boring after time. Of course if we have only so much detailed map, some many cities are actually delegated into "minor" size...So the question is turning into do you like Province system or not. I do as it is another layer in settlement/region-province-empire system. Of course you can prefer Attila style where you can build walls in all settlements. For me, both system are working.
    If there is no guarrison just enter city.
    But barbarians had ONLY ONE way to capture a fortified place. By besieging it untill water and food runs out. READ history do not listen me...just READ!
    In Attila age when Slavs invaded Balkans all Romans abandoned their villages and found refuge in fortified cities because Slavs could not capture them. That way decades after the so called Sclaveniae were created!

I know history, but I´m asking how do you tranlate history into balance fun game! If barbarians have to starve out any settlement for 10+ turns while romans can use artillery in one turn all the roman players have to do is running around and recapturing cities felt to the barbarians.

This is prime example of bad gameplay design. Faction A has spent 10 turns in siege, which prevent that army from any other activity while faction B can do it in one turn. Especially if faction B has also superior walls. If all factions have similar number of armies, faction B would be able to lift multiple sieges in time and still use some power for offensive expansion even versus multiple opponent factions...

I know history, but I´m asking how do you tranlate history into balance fun game! If barbarians have to starve out any settlement for 10+ turns while romans can use artillery in one turn all the roman players have to do is running around and recapturing cities felt to the barbarians.

This is prime example of bad gameplay design. Faction A has spent 10 turns in siege, which prevent that army from any other activity while faction B can do it in one turn. Especially if faction B has also superior walls. If all factions have similar number of armies, faction B would be able to lift multiple sieges in time and still use some power for offensive expansion even versus multiple opponent factions...
    Wrong all is in the total units unique stats...
    Romans may have artilery but steppe people have cappable horsearchers and much better bows. That delima was placed 10 years ago in TGC mod.
    I can ensure you that IF the development team of a game/mod focus in EACH unit or EACH Roster individualy and give it the historical skills it had the game wont need fantacy at all! No artilery saved my 10th Century Roman Army against the Magyars in open field and braking the siege against 2 or more AI armies the besiege your city , from outside is almost suicidal but it has to be done! Check our general discusion thread and see the images of glorius defeats by "Barbarians" that had no artilery!!! Its all how a developer set up the entire game in the units in it! Nothing is impossible and everythinng can reach historical accuracy as possible IF THERE IS SUCH A WILL.
    EDIT: These "peasants" have such strong bows with great accuracy and powerfull arrows (yes each culture/unit or bow may use different arrow) that can massacre my best cataphracts if my cataphracts wont find a way to reach them and smash their heads with their maces or brake them with their lances!

Artilery is usefull up to a point...
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; July 29, 2018 at 05:58 AM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

So you want a more asymmetrical game play as in Warhammer?

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Sure, so solution to "barbarian faction without catapults damaging walls" is having "peasants with magical bows killing all my heavy cavalry..." I prefer faction to have somewhat similar capabilites even if it is not historical to complete one side advantage. There is no discussion that romans had the best heavy infantry but you are heading into Legolas grade archers with nuclear arrows

And how exactly is this connected to "should I buy Attila?" This discussion is more about whole TW series... Attila has overally the best depiction of sieges from any modern TW. Any part of any TW could be in theory more realistical...

Asymetrical
    Magical
    What nonsence is this? REAL History has no magic -like walls that fall by rain or time- and no asymetrical...Steppe bow was for 4000 years the strngest bow in the world and the steppe people borned learning how to ride and how to use a bow!
    READ HISTORY before posting again...Do your selves a real favor.

History books might be inspiration for a game but you need a few "how to create a good game" books as well. Ask yourself what is better, bad game yet historical or good game yet not 100% historical ;-) Attila is definitely the second example..

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

And how exactly is this connected to "should I buy Attila?" This discussion is more about whole TW series... Attila has overally the best depiction of sieges from any modern TW. Any part of any TW could be in theory more realistical...
    I Agree It is so hard to go back to rome 2 after attila :|
    I mean all these updates are all nice a fine, but attila is the better of those 2 games.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Siege escalation is a historically inaccurate mechanic, for the simple reason that the defenders were never passive observers of the siege. If the walls had been damaged, then soldiers and civilians usually tried to repair them as soon as possible, before their eventual collapse. If a breach in the walls was achieved, then the besieged were usually doomed and would surrender to the attackers after (or even without) a brief fight. Unless there was a citadel for a possible last stand, but there is no such option for any TW game since Medieval II. Huge holes randomly dispersed across the wall are not convincing enough to generate an immersive experience, in my opinion. Sapping is an acceptable excuse, but that feature was much better (albeit not flawlessly) implemented in Rome I, where the player could directly order the undermining of the walls and could also enjoy their gradual crumbling. The rapidity of the process was obviously unrealistic, but not in the level of Attila's awkward compromise. I understand CA's motivation behind this decision, but for once, I would appreciate it if a professional company, whose products the consumers pay rather dearly, would figure out a more sophisticated solution to the problem, instead of resorting to artificial limitations.

In what concerns the peoples with zero access to siege trains, I agree that the only possibility should be starvation. Each faction should have its own weaknesses and advantages and, to be honest, I don't see why siege warfare should be an exception. Later on the campaign, if the Vandals, for example, settle in some urbanized provinces and choose to recruit locals in their armies, then they should also have the option to build siege engines or use sapping, because Total War games are first and foremost a sandbox experience. That being said, I get that anyone has his personal preferences, but siege escalation is not my biggest concern. On the contrary, I believe that the priority should be the campaign map and the various issues that make the task of creating a formidable empire, from administration and dynastic politics to infrastructure and military reform, feel like a boring and painful chore. Without an enjoyable empire-building in the background, battles are nothing but an empty shell, less important than "custom battles". Unfortunately, the campaign map is where Rome II and Attila suffer the most and why they are still considered so controversial by CA's loyal fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Siege escalation is a historically inaccurate mechanic, for the simple reason that the defenders were never passive observers of the siege. If the walls had been damaged, then soldiers and civilians usually tried to repair them as soon as possible, before their eventual collapse. If a breach in the walls was achieved, then the besieged were usually doomed and would surrender to the attackers after (or even without) a brief fight. Unless there was a citadel for a possible last stand, but there is no such option for any TW game since Medieval II. Huge holes randomly dispersed across the wall are not convincing enough to generate an immersive experience, in my opinion. Sapping is an acceptable excuse, but that feature was much better (albeit not flawlessly) implemented in Rome I, where the player could directly order the undermining of the walls and could also enjoy their gradual crumbling. The rapidity of the process was obviously unrealistic, but not in the level of Attila's awkward compromise. I understand CA's motivation behind this decision, but for once, I would appreciate it if a professional company, whose products the consumers pay rather dearly, would figure out a more sophisticated solution to the problem, instead of resorting to artificial limitations.

In what concerns the peoples with zero access to siege trains, I agree that the only possibility should be starvation. Each faction should have its own weaknesses and advantages and, to be honest, I don't see why siege warfare should be an exception. Later on the campaign, if the Vandals, for example, settle in some urbanized provinces and choose to recruit locals in their armies, then they should also have the option to build siege engines or use sapping, because Total War games are first and foremost a sandbox experience. That being said, I get that anyone has his personal preferences, but siege escalation is not my biggest concern. On the contrary, I believe that the priority should be the campaign map and the various issues that make the task of creating a formidable empire, from administration and dynastic politics to infrastructure and military reform, feel like a boring and painful chore. Without an enjoyable empire-building in the background, battles are nothing but an empty shell, less important than "custom battles". Unfortunately, the campaign map is where Rome II and Attila suffer the most and why they are still considered so controversial by CA's loyal fandom.
    Very well said.
    I would add the example of Armenian sappers that considered the best in the world and served to everyone oqupied their regions or simply was rich enough to pay them.
    Taking Abdul's examples further more , an automaticaly "sapping" that SUPPOSED is happening in the siege escalation as is today it could have a counter sapping effect for the defenders and so the result would be the same-UNHARMED WALLS-.
    Abdul said something I say constantly the last years, we paid PROFFESIONALS to deliver us a game as they were promised it to us , not as a caricature of a game 13years old that remains "revolutionary" in many aspects.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Sure, so solution to "barbarian faction without catapults damaging walls" is having "peasants with magical bows killing all my heavy cavalry..." I prefer faction to have somewhat similar capabilites even if it is not historical to complete one side advantage. There is no discussion that romans had the best heavy infantry but you are heading into Legolas grade archers with nuclear arrows

Im with Daruwind on this one.As I said the Siege Escalation mechanic is the best Feature for Total War Sieges since CA started doing Siege Battles 15+ years ago. Its also the best compromise between realism and gameplay to date.

You say there arent ramps in Attila??? Go do Siege of Constinopole siege escalation 1-2 on biggest city scale and you got your ramp over 2 out of the 3 walls the city had and Just as similar as an Idea as the ramp in the Siege of Masada in the Jewish revolt vs the romans.

You cry why a section of the walls is only 70 50 or 18% hp? Use your imagination/roleplay why it happened?? Problem?? You had artillery and you used all your ammo before the battle... or walls sapped... or siege ladders or towers that reached the walls and when they were destroyed in the skirmish the walls were damaged and so on and so on.
    Its a game not History simulator by 100%. As I Said we already got this conversation into nowhere with the same old same old TWC meme "Why the wrong sandals or buttons of the uniforms" Its childish...

You talked that the barbarians and nomads dont need artillery in Attila??Well Rome 2 got bigger reasons to remove them than Attila. In Attila time period both were learning roman technology at great speed - just look at the Vandals how they became naval power thanks to the romans. The Bigger problem was The new barbarian kingdoms didnt know how to keep the roman infrastructure and technologies long term due to multiple of factors and after some generations all was forgoten.

It was the same with siege tactics and artilery.The Huns were great masters and their siege experience was used well by their former subjects like the Gepids Ostrogoths and Bulgarians in the 5th century and beyond.

The simple reason why sieges in Attila are fun for the first time in Years is that it made the defender defend from only 10% to 90%+ of the city map and care for the settlement and not camp like a noob at the city centre an wait for 30 min the attacker to come like in the overrated Medieval 2 and Rome 1 where sieges were just camping at the city plaza with spartan, macedon or swiss pikes fo example.

GL HF.

Изпратено от моят GT-I9301I с помощта на Tapatalk

If you can wait for a steam sale (if you wanna buy it there) then you can buy the two mentioned games for less than the price of one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    I Agree It is so hard to go back to rome 2 after attila :|
    I mean all these updates are all nice a fine, but attila is the better of those 2 games.
    I disagree after 120 hours Attila it's quite easy to get back into Rome 2 with the improvements it's been getting.

Those 120 hours have mostly been on The Last Rome and Charlemagne with a few on the grand campaign. For me the main campaign is ok if you like Warhammer as in the fantasy end of the world vibe it has. I like Warhammer but those two campaigns dlc are pretty good. It's just a shame Attila wasn't an expansion to Rome 2 otherwise it would be getting some updates. Very pretty game though.
    Last edited by herne_the _hunter; August 02, 2018 at 06:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast