Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should I buy this game?

Icon5 Why should I buy this game?

I'm weighing buying this game or Rome 2, and would appreciate any opinions why this game is or isn't the better of the two.

Thank you

Default Re: Why should I buy this game?

Things to consider in order of importance:

1. PC specs. Attila is demanding for your graphics card and cpu. If framerates are important to you, buy Rome 2. If your PC isn't at least mid-range, it will chug in most battles. Even top end PCs struggle with Attila's battles, with framerates plummeting into the 20s and lower. Don't even bother if you play on a laptop.

2. The Era. Apparently some people aren't into the 5th century Roman collapse. Weird, I know. Personally, it's fascinating.

3. Story arc. If you want to build empires, then Rome 2 is your game. If you want to save, rebuild or destroy empires, Attila's your cookie.

4. Difficulty and depth. Do you enjoy staring at the screen wondering what the hell to do next? Cursing? Pulling out your hair? Rage quitting? Yes? Then Attila! It's frigging hard. Rome 2 is not. These two games are at the opposite ends of the Total War difficulty scale. Attila also has more engaging campaign management, with family trees, politics, diplomacy and economics far more nuanced and thoughtful than Rome 2's.

5. Balanced and logical gameplay. Rome 2 is eccentric at times but makes sense for the most part. Attila is CA's least balanced game. It's also unfair and likes to kick you when you're down. It hates you, really.

6. DLC and patching. Rome 2 continues to receive patching and DLC, with one more planned to be released soon. Attila has been abandoned, though there is an echo of a shadow of a hint of a glimmer of a patch to coincide with Thrones of Britannia. Age of Charlemagne is also a nice DLC campaign for Attila. However, Rome 2 has a greater number of DLC, even if their quality is at times spotty.

7. Mods. Divide et Imperi for Rome 2 is arguably the finest mod Total War has seen. Hellenika is also a favourite of mine based on the Wrath of Sparta DLC. However, there is, amongst some high quality productions, Fall of the Eagles for Attila, as well as exciting overhauls like Medieval Kingdoms and Ancient Empires nearing completion. Arguably, the modding scene for Rome 2 is more popular though.

8. Graphics. Rome 2 has its moments, but for me Attila looks fantastic, better than warhammer 1 even. Some don't like its drab colours and dreary, gloomy lighting and atmosphere. I love it. War should look like hell, and Attila with its burning villages and ghoulish figures brawling in the dust and smoke and fog and horror does just that.
    Last edited by Theramines; April 16, 2018 at 01:14 AM.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Everything Theramines said
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

Attila gameplay is a bit closer to classic total war which is a plus for me. The game generally feels more polished thus make it better both graphically and gameplay wise. Theramines sums it all very well

Agree with all the responses. It's an interesting game with a lot of flexibility for various play styles.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Instead of Attila by Age of Empires II...All that chnages is the graphics quality nothing else. Atleast the old AoE 2 will run smoothly on your PC.
    Attila has city wall towers that are not towers at all. Walls that are not walls at all that "melt" with rain and wind.
    The stupiest AI a TW game has to show...
    My other sugestion. Re-install your M2TW/Kingdoms and find a similar era mod. It will be much more pleasant to play with smarter AI and more chalenging gameplay. And if you are lucky to find a mod that changed the cities battle models too...THE NEVER BUY ATTILA in your life!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Instead of Attila by Age of Empires II...All that chnages is the graphics quality nothing else. Atleast the old AoE 2 will run smoothly on your PC.
    Attila has city wall towers that are not towers at all. Walls that are not walls at all that "melt" with rain and wind.
    The stupiest AI a TW game has to show...
    My other sugestion. Re-install your M2TW/Kingdoms and find a similar era mod. It will be much more pleasant to play with smarter AI and more chalenging gameplay. And if you are lucky to find a mod that changed the cities battle models too...THE NEVER BUY ATTILA in your life!
    I totaly advice to not recomend this comment. Age of Empires games got nothing connecting with the Total war gamesto be comperable at all if we just ignore the time settings. They are closer to games like Stacraft,Warcraft ect.Just like the strategy element connecting Chess with Poker.

Attila's sieges are maybe the best Creative Assembly ever created. Siege Escalation as siege mechanic is one of the best mechanics added to Total war where infact you ablsolutely change the rules in the siege battles. Instead for example in the overated Medieval 2 or Rome 1 where the defender basicaly only camps at the city center (for 30 mins or more of the fight) till the attacker reach him, by being shot by towers and so on, passively defending vs the attacker,now with Attila its proactive flexsible defence for the defender where he has to defend 100% of the city and not just the capture point and at max 10% of the hole city and if he doesnt he is penalised by the attacker at the max with bad morale,melee debuffs accordingly that I highly value. By this simple change the sieges are changed from upside down for the player with tons of options for both sides.It highly penalizes lazines and camping at the city centre.

Just look at this battle as a perfect example how 2 such defenders are penalised by basicaly using Rome 1,Medieval 2 defensive tactis by AFK camping the hole battle and the Attackers just controled the battlefield the hole battle.

The Sieges in Medieval 2 with its broken pathfinding along the streets(In Rome 1 it was the capture flags at the town plaza of each city map) and battles overall are totaly no go for a player who wants to be challenged by the game and its a waste of time just mindless grinding till the end without something to happen that changing the campaigns.AI is even more retarded and not attacking, getting shot by the towers for 3-30+ mins,units getting stuck on the siege towers and so on.There are some such bugs left in Rome 2 and Attila still, but those are found like in a finding a needle in a hay stack nowadays compared to medieval 2,rome 1 where those are common unfixed problems.There are also some problems with how Eastern Europe factions and regions were wrongly represented by CA,but thats a minor things over how the game is overall vs how Rome 1 and medieval 2 were(where more than 50% of the map was just rebel regions with noreal Campaign AI)

Playing All the older total wars before Shogun 2 is like a surgeon operating in the hospital without anesthetic - yes it does the job,but why all the pain when you can do it with a anesthetic. Campaigns in Rome 1 and Medieval 2 are totaly broken where the AI does absolutely nothing ( even with all the mods created over the years that havent fixed the problem).

What the AI only does is spamming 5-10 or 20 times more units and just runs around the map mindlessly back and forth for 100+ turns and with all the bonus money set by the campaign creator.And only by those AI cheats for the player its far easier and cheaper to rush the AI instead to turtle in and develope his own regions and capture all already developed cities from the Ai with the help of the Ai cheats. Just by saying people can conquer the Medieval 2 Vannila campaign map in just under 10 turns( just watch some of the Legend's of Total war's youtube campaigns - be it be hotseat ones or standard ones its the same and you got my point) speaks for itself how bad are those campaigns and how broken are they by the game design to its core. The province management is basicaly free cheat code for the player vs the AI where for the most part you develop 1 highly developed city at max and ignore all the other ones for the most part and you dont care if you will loose them or not.Another free cheat for the player are the Agents winning campaigns, with spies and assasins opening gates of the settlements,killing faction leaders and capturing cities in under 1 turn.

Until Shogun 2 the Agents there the bane of the the AI factions and it was never the other way around.With Shogun 2 onwards Creative Assembly finnaly fixed how the AI to use their agents and the end result was the other way around - free cheats for the AI vs the player. This exact chronic disease luckily is finnaly fixed in Thones of Brintainia by removing all the agents finnaly after how they were exactly implemented since Rome 1/Medieval 2 with its RNG that can be manipulated by both player and AI for the player till today.

My advice buy Attila 100%,if you personaly dont like the time period, you got basicaly Rome 3 and Medieval 3 with mods like Medieval Kingdoms 1212ad and Antient Empires,that starts in 202bc.Maybe another Third Age themed mod with a working campaign.I hope so.The only saving grace for Medieval 2 and Rome 1 are the soundtracks and the pushing mechanic somewhat.

GL HF
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; April 22, 2018 at 01:50 PM.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Attila is hard? I mean my archer garrison stopping 2 full stacks and getting 800+ kills was always amusing. I guess if you play vanilla then I'm not sure of what anyone can perceive as hard. Attila has its elements of fun, it is however largely poorly optimised and lacking in variety compared to its predecessor.

DeI Rome 2 on a higher difficulty, now you're talking!
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Attila's the game that Rome II should have been (even as Rome II has receved a ton of updates since its launch, it is still lacking features that should be in - and are found in Attila). Only thing that's keeping Attila from achieving its full potential are optimization issues: the game was marketed as being made for future rigs back in the day - yet the performance isn't optimal at all even with most powerful systems of today.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Guys,

It worries me a bit what you've been saying here. Is the Atilla's performance really so bad?

I haven't bought the game, yet, but I've been considering to do it in the near future, partly because of the imminent release date of the AE, partly because of the sheer interest in the Late Antiquity.

Some months ago I bought a new gaming laptop with some decent hardware. It is, however, still just a laptop. Here is the exact specification:

- Intel Core i5-7300HQ, 2.5 GHz
    - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    - 8 GB RAM
    - 256 GB SSD

I would normally hope to easily run Atilla on the aforementioned hardware, maybe not on the highest settings, but medium, medium-high, at least.

What would you say to it?

Just for the record, Rome 2 with DeI, which, as we know, is much more demanding than the vanilla Rome 2, I can comfortably run on the highest or nearly highest settings, using at the same time a pretty demanding GEM preset and a couple of other graphic submods such as enhanced particles, better vegetation, etc. With that setup, I get between 20 and 60 fps with the largest unit scale. Only when there are more than two full stacks involved in a battle I have to trim down the video settings a bit, otherwise the game is working pretty smoothly.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Nah, it is not such big problem. You just need to min/max some settings more carefully as they influence performance more than in other titles. I run R2 with all settings maxed out, WH1/2 as well but for Attila I have to go down in some settings even to medium. Not all, rest is comfortably being at highest... And my personal opinion is, the game still looks quite good. Highest textures,highest unit scale... are not problem at least not for me.

Okey I run i7-6700K (4.0 GHZ), GTX 1080Ti 6GB, 16 RAM but HDD, so probably little better PC.

EDIT: Even with my setup I still get FPS slowdown in Empire sieges due to AI doing moves around walls/breaches...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Turn down terrain, water, shadows, buildings to 'performance' and keep units sizes to 'large'. Attila looks great even if those settings are minimal as long as unit details and particles (fire and dust and stuff) are relatively high. For comparison with selukos99, I run a gtx 1060 with 6gb and an i7: with DEI maxed out I get slightly worse performance than Attila (with those performance suggestions above). Loading times in DEI are really long; in Attila they're less than 30 seconds. Attila maxed out sits in the 20-30 fps range.

I warned about performance because it seems to bother a lot of people. It doesn't bother me so much. I've played massive battles with 25,000 men slugging it out, fps chugging at single figures and I've had a ball. Considering films play at 25 fps (?). I really don't get the fuss about fps if it dips in large battles. Sure, it looks and feels nicer when it hits 60 fps, but not so much that I'd have given it a second thought if I hadn't read endless complaints about it.

Speaking of Empire, it was my first Total War, foisted on me by my brother as an unwanted gift. It sat on my shelf for a few weeks until he asked me about it and I reluctantly installed it. Oh boy. I hadn't played PC games since Civ3 back in the day and this game blew me away. It was incredible. Many a night I patiently sat through the Ottoman turn bug and 1fps siege battles. I didn't care, I was hooked. Then I bought medieval 2 and I don't think I'll ever again experience the same high from a game that I got from those first few weeks of playing England, then Byzantium, then Venice....

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Thank you, guys, for your answers! Then there is nothing really for me to worry about, I guess. I will simply lower some of the settings and I'm sure I'll be fine. In the worst case, I will compensate the loss of graphical quality with some nice, lightweight GEM preset. For me, as long as I can get 15-20 fps I'm entirely happy with it.

Suprised no one has mentioned the horde mechanic which for me is a big selling point. After playing the Chaos Warriors in Wahammer it's certainly a mechanic I enjoy using.

With a i5 3470s, 8 gig ram and a GTX750 I'm sure i'll be ok on max performance or performance settings with a large unit scale.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ancient Empires is on release.

Rise of Mordor currently in pre-alpha

Terminus Total War Mod

Medieval Kingdoms 1295 is also on steam workshop

Medieval Kingdoms 1212 is taking time.

It is a shame that CA did a good job on optimizing TOB (exactly same game as Attila is) and not updated Attila. I asked question about performance on official forums, reddit - no response. This kind of behavior from CA is just frustrating, they know people struggle with Attila even if you have top pc. They will probably give performance update to Attila when and if they will make new DLC for it, so people can buy it and run it as good as TOB. Nothing to add.

It automatically detected my settings as Quality at the maximum desktop resolution. Played for a while and yes I was getting getting the usual performance hits especially when zoomed in. Turned down the resolution to 1600 x 1200 and the worst performance hogs either off or down to "performance" turning the unit scale up to ultra and I'm getting buttery smooth Rome 2 game play even when zoomed in. What gets me is it still looks beautiful on these lower settings.

Chuffed

If you wanted a historical version of TW Warhammer 1 with the Huns as the forces of Chaos in the over arching meta story of the Apocalypse this is worth getting. But comparing Attila to what Rome 2 is now is really as of 2018 like comparing Fall of the Samurai to Shogun 2.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post

Stuff
    While nice points and all that, old games, which you so much despise have guard mode. Missing something so basic like that is just a huge no.

Quote Originally Posted by Vardano View Post
    It is a shame that CA did a good job on optimizing TOB (exactly same game as Attila is) and not updated Attila. I asked question about performance on official forums, reddit - no response. This kind of behavior from CA is just frustrating, they know people struggle with Attila even if you have top pc. They will probably give performance update to Attila when and if they will make new DLC for it, so people can buy it and run it as good as TOB. Nothing to add.
    We are waiting for the updates and new DLC since I do not even remember when... the game has no addition after release of Slavic Nations Culture Pack. That is really inappropriate just as Rome 2 TW is having constant additions and campaign packs and DLCs. And this everything for the sake of better sales... I got nothing to say...
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    I totaly advice to not recomend this comment. Age of Empires games got nothing connecting with the Total war gamesto be comperable at all if we just ignore the time settings. They are closer to games like Stacraft,Warcraft ect.Just like the strategy element connecting Chess with Poker.

Attila's sieges are maybe the best Creative Assembly ever created. Siege Escalation as siege mechanic is one of the best mechanics added to Total war where infact you ablsolutely change the rules in the siege battles. Instead for example in the overated Medieval 2 or Rome 1 where the defender basicaly only camps at the city center (for 30 mins or more of the fight) till the attacker reach him, by being shot by towers and so on, passively defending vs the attacker,now with Attila its proactive flexsible defence for the defender where he has to defend 100% of the city and not just the capture point and at max 10% of the hole city and if he doesnt he is penalised by the attacker at the max with bad morale,melee debuffs accordingly that I highly value. By this simple change the sieges are changed from upside down for the player with tons of options for both sides.It highly penalizes lazines and camping at the city centre.

Just look at this battle as a perfect example how 2 such defenders are penalised by basicaly using Rome 1,Medieval 2 defensive tactis by AFK camping the hole battle and the Attackers just controled the battlefield the hole battle.

The Sieges in Medieval 2 with its broken pathfinding along the streets(In Rome 1 it was the capture flags at the town plaza of each city map) and battles overall are totaly no go for a player who wants to be challenged by the game and its a waste of time just mindless grinding till the end without something to happen that changing the campaigns.AI is even more retarded and not attacking, getting shot by the towers for 3-30+ mins,units getting stuck on the siege towers and so on.There are some such bugs left in Rome 2 and Attila still, but those are found like in a finding a needle in a hay stack nowadays compared to medieval 2,rome 1 where those are common unfixed problems.There are also some problems with how Eastern Europe factions and regions were wrongly represented by CA,but thats a minor things over how the game is overall vs how Rome 1 and medieval 2 were(where more than 50% of the map was just rebel regions with noreal Campaign AI)

Playing All the older total wars before Shogun 2 is like a surgeon operating in the hospital without anesthetic - yes it does the job,but why all the pain when you can do it with a anesthetic. Campaigns in Rome 1 and Medieval 2 are totaly broken where the AI does absolutely nothing ( even with all the mods created over the years that havent fixed the problem).

What the AI only does is spamming 5-10 or 20 times more units and just runs around the map mindlessly back and forth for 100+ turns and with all the bonus money set by the campaign creator.And only by those AI cheats for the player its far easier and cheaper to rush the AI instead to turtle in and develope his own regions and capture all already developed cities from the Ai with the help of the Ai cheats. Just by saying people can conquer the Medieval 2 Vannila campaign map in just under 10 turns( just watch some of the Legend's of Total war's youtube campaigns - be it be hotseat ones or standard ones its the same and you got my point) speaks for itself how bad are those campaigns and how broken are they by the game design to its core. The province management is basicaly free cheat code for the player vs the AI where for the most part you develop 1 highly developed city at max and ignore all the other ones for the most part and you dont care if you will loose them or not.Another free cheat for the player are the Agents winning campaigns, with spies and assasins opening gates of the settlements,killing faction leaders and capturing cities in under 1 turn.

Until Shogun 2 the Agents there the bane of the the AI factions and it was never the other way around.With Shogun 2 onwards Creative Assembly finnaly fixed how the AI to use their agents and the end result was the other way around - free cheats for the AI vs the player. This exact chronic disease luckily is finnaly fixed in Thones of Brintainia by removing all the agents finnaly after how they were exactly implemented since Rome 1/Medieval 2 with its RNG that can be manipulated by both player and AI for the player till today.

My advice buy Attila 100%,if you personaly dont like the time period, you got basicaly Rome 3 and Medieval 3 with mods like Medieval Kingdoms 1212ad and Antient Empires,that starts in 202bc.Maybe another Third Age themed mod with a working campaign.I hope so.The only saving grace for Medieval 2 and Rome 1 are the soundtracks and the pushing mechanic somewhat.

GL HF
    LOAD AoE 2 and compare the settlements walls and their towers with the ones Attila has!

But if you like the escalation feature too much then i assume you like more the fantacy games rather than the historical ones.
    In 716-717 for more than 18 months Arabs besieged Constantinople and not A SINGLE BRICK from the walls was damaged! If you like the siege escalation system then we must ask CA/SEGA to add this feature in Attila in the future too:

EDIT: BTW how many AI controled armies have you seen in Attila to assault city walls from diferent directions and ussing their own siege equipment such ladders, rams and towers?
    NONE!!!!
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; July 24, 2018 at 02:55 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast