Thread: [WIP] Polished vanilla - Multiplayer and singleplayer balance/bug-fix compilation/mod

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

Icon3 [WIP] Polished vanilla - Multiplayer and singleplayer balance/bug-fix compilation/mod

Hi everyone,

Rome Total War is a great game but the vanilla version, even though it has a working advisor and it is less prone to CTD's as some mods, it is very unbalanced, several units don't make sense at all and it has several bugs that have been fixed in most mods.

If you're looking for a completely historically accurate overhaul of RTW with realistic unit skins and new environments, then stop reading and dowload EB, Roma Surrectum or RTR. Please continue if you can live with some minor inaccuracies as this mod will be slightly more accurate as vanilla RTW (Egypt will become Ptolemaic and arcani, head hurlers, etc. will be removed).

I'm currently working on a fix for RTW that will fix most issues without affecting the vanilla atmosphere, except for a background script and the removal of quotes (for the sake of bug and CTD-fixes).
    It will run on the Alex engine for better stability, bug-fixes to phalangites and the ability to make egypt and carthage ignore eachother without having to block the map.

Other features are:
    -This mod will run on alex for better stability and bug-fixes, it will also be mod-foldered.
    -3 roman houses.
    -AI armies will merge and retrain.
    -Phalangites will not 'do the moonwalk'.
    -Egypt and carthage will not attack each other when controlled by the AI.
    -No more bronze age egyptians. Egypt will be renamed to 'Ptolemaic Egypt' and will have hellenistic portraits, names and units.
    -6 turns per year.
    -Pines will be scaled sown and only appear in cold regions (they will be replaced by deciduous trees in temperate regions).
    -No more palm trees in cold deserts.
    -More stable alliances will be possible between certain factions.
    -We will use phalanxman's stat system for better balance.
    -Non-elephant/chariot units will get (invisible) secondary hitpoints too to fix autoresolve battles.
    -Scythia will be converted to nomad culture.
    -Barbarian UI from BI for barbarian and nomad factions.
    -No pirates on lakes.
    -Fatigue will be fixed.
    -Culture-appropriate advisors.
    -Barbarians except the germans and scythia will be able to build large cities and stone walls.
    -Sprites for all units. (some mods don't have correct sprites or don't have them at all).
    -4 lod levels for all unit models (some mods only use one lod level which introduces lag).
    -Urban cohorts will be renamed to late praetorian cohorts.
    -Deceres will be available to all roman factions, macedon, egypt and the seleucids, but only in Alexandria
    -Better skies.
    -Better lighting.
    -Fixed black spots on mountains.
    -The AI will create full stacks of ships.
    -Generals will not get childeren when campaigning outside their homeland, except when they are of Barbarian or Nomad culture.
    -New factions icons for several factions.
    -A fully working advisor.
    -several new macedonian units, including kestros slingers and royal peltasts.
    -Illyrian mercenaries will get an axe as secondary weapon.
    -Cretan archers will get a shield.
    -The model used by thracian warriors and bastarnae will be replaced by the one from Alexander.
    -Phalangites will hold their pike with two hands.
    -Removal of arcani, head-hurlers, screeching women.
    -Urban cohorts will be renamed to late praetorian cohorts.
    -Many other bug-fixes, balance improvements and quality of life tweaks.

The following mods will be included:
    -Player1's bug-fixer.
    -Sinuhet's AI formations, modified by Quinn Inuit.
    -Xeofox' 3D explosions mod
    -z3n's animations pack.
    -Icetorque's warmap, but with more accurate settlements, enhanced mountains and smoothed coastlines.
    -TuCoT's eastern hellenic portrait pack for EB (only the ptolemaic portraits will be added).
    -Epistolary Richard's client kingdoms mod.

I'm currently looking for people who want to help me finishing this mod.

More info and screens will come soon, so stay tuned!
    Last edited by 20ninescene; April 16, 2018 at 11:03 AM.

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: [WIP] Polished vanilla - Multiplayer and singleplayer balance/bug-fix mod

I have taken a model and a unit texture from an old mod named vlad mod and reskined officers for armenia,parthia,pontus,mercenary eastern troops and rebel eastern troops.This was made for my personal mod that i play.I can give them to you,but unfortunately vlad is inactive and i cant ask him for his permission.But maybe if we tell the original is vlad's work and i just made reskins there will be no problem ?If its illegal then i wont do anything.

Default Re: [WIP] Polished vanilla - Multiplayer and singleplayer balance/bug-fix mod

You could try to ask him and wait one month (just as a matter of respect) if he doesn't reply I think it would be fine to use it as long as we mention him in the credits and put a disclaimer that we'll ask him if he's fine with us using his stuff if he ever comes back to the forums and remove his content from the mod if he isn't (which is unlikely).

Player1 for example isn't around any more either but nearly every mod uses his bug-fixer. Same for Icetorque and many mods use his map.

I might be wrong but if a modder is not around any more it's generally not an issue to use their stuff as long as you mention them in the credits and if the modder in question has not explicitly stated that other mods can't use their stuff.

Ok i will send you the textures tomorrow to see if you like them.I dont remember anywhere reading from him that he didnt want others to use his textures etc.For example barebones mod used a lot of his stuff but i think back then he was active.
    Last edited by crazyroman; April 15, 2018 at 04:16 PM.

Default Re: [WIP] Polished vanilla - Multiplayer and singleplayer balance/bug-fix compilation/mod

Royal & Agema peltasts, a new unit with 2 tiers that will be added to the Macedonian faction in order to have some non-phalanx infantry to guard the flanks of the Macedonian infantry line, as well as to act as a bridge between the phalanx and the cavalry. (please don't mind the abscence of an alpha channel, I was in a hurry when I made this quick render).

Default Re: [WIP] Polished vanilla - Multiplayer and singleplayer balance/bug-fix compilation/mod

Prety nice .

Good news ! Vlad responded to an email i've sended to him and he is letting us use the textures.Tomorrow i will send the models and maybe the dmb and edu code,if you need it.

Great! Could you ask him if he still has his mod on his HDD (or SSD in case he has that) because the download link is broken iirc

There are other download links.But why you want to download it ? http://www.internetwars.ru/Rome/VladTW/VladTW.htm
    Last edited by crazyroman; April 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks but unfortunately I can't download from that site

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ad-links/page2 Try the download link on post #21.For me it works.