Thread: A Merry Monumental Multiplayer Moment!

Icon10 A Merry Monumental Multiplayer Moment!

Greetings everyone! We just had a groundbreaking thing happen! After much trial and error and a fair amount of frustration we made RTR8 multiplayer work! It was a wild ride, and after many stressful moments we figured out the very specific failsafe way of making it work. And the result was the first ever RTR8 multiplayer battle – a small one but a very significant one as well! We’ll be posting more info on multiplayer when we release the next RTR8 version, v4.0. Oh, by the way, the release date for RTR8 4.0 is April 29th

Here’s some screenshots

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and Head of Public Relations
    RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
    "Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
    Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

Default Re: A Merry Monumental Multiplayer Moment!

"Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.

ahowl11's elephants didn't go easy on me haha

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

are you using phalanxman's stat system? losses (even on the winner's side) seem pretty high

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

great job!

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Great work lads!

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Yes well done. I remember back in 2007 when I managed something similar. I don't recall if it was RTR or RS.

It did involve a number of attempts and a few pints of Japanese beer (I was staying in in the Honda owned hotel in Swindon while I was working on a nearby client site).

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Thank you, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    Yes well done. I remember back in 2007 when I managed something similar. I don't recall if it was RTR or RS.

It did involve a number of attempts and a few pints of Japanese beer (I was staying in in the Honda owned hotel in Swindon while I was working on a nearby client site).
    I completely understand the beer part, haha
    We tried to make it work a year ago, too, but it all flopped for a reason not entirely known to us, as the checksum was behaving seemingly random and wild. We picked it up again a few days ago and experimented and brainstormed a fair amount, and BHL 20 had an idea that just might work and it did. The damn map.rwm file was messing with the game's checksum just enough for it to show a mismatch although apparently everything was at it should be and the versions we had running were identical to the last file. Even our map.rwm files were completely identical yet still the checksum didn't want to behave. One of the prerequisites for making mod multiplayer possible, as we found out, is to ALWAYS erase the map.rwm file before AND after attempting to play multiplayer battles. We will release an in-depth guide and explanation once we release at the end of the month. We will also be setting up a discord server for the community to meet and play
    Last edited by Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs; April 06, 2018 at 09:04 AM.

And, of course, both the base game's checksum and the mod's checksum has to match for all the players, so even the slightest modifications to the vanilla files can render the mod multiplayer unplayable, apparently. Luckily, the checksum doesn't take into account the saves and preferences folders, as the experiments seemingly show; and the launch commands can differ, too, though this should be straightforward, we did try virtually everything. The first time ahowl11 and I ran the same launch commands, the second time I added a few and it ran fine again. It was a wild ride, haha.
    But I digress. More on all this at the end of the month, we want to make sure about everything regarding this.

MasterOfThessus's Avatar RTR Betateam Leader

Congrats guys, happy to see you still going strong!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfThessus View Post
    Congrats guys, happy to see you still going strong!
    Many thanks, MoT! I can't express how great it is to still have you visiting here after all these years, my friend! Hope all's well!

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Good job people!

MasterOfThessus's Avatar RTR Betateam Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs View Post
    Many thanks, MoT! I can't express how great it is to still have you visiting here after all these years, my friend! Hope all's well!
    I've got my eyes on you

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Good job people!
    Thanks, paleologos!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfThessus View Post
    I've got my eyes on you
    That means a lot to us, MoTtie!

Foxcon's Avatar Foederatus

Wow looking good. Can't wait. Nice campaign map, nice factions, nice units. I am really looking forward to Numidia and Saka

Quote Originally Posted by Foxcon View Post
    Wow looking good. Can't wait. Nice campaign map, nice factions, nice units. I am really looking forward to Numidia and Saka
    Thanks, Foxcon! Just 19 days until release

Any word on this? It's been a little over a year and I have not seen anything about getting multiplayer to work.