Thread: I've never seen an AI faction be this successful in any TW game...

Default I've never seen an AI faction be this successful in any TW game...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	542.0 KB 
ID:	352240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	891.5 KB 
ID:	352241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	893.2 KB 
ID:	352242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	892.6 KB 
ID:	352243

VH/VH

It appears Alexander's empire pulled itself back together and then some...

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: I've never seen an AI faction be this successful in any TW game...

And you've only got 10,000 mnai to spare in your budget!

It almost looks like you've created the later Western Roman Empire and Eastern Roman Empire, with the latter being much larger than it ever was given the amount of territory the Seleucids have in West Asia here. Are you planning on conquering Greece, Anatolia, the Levant, and Egypt anytime soon, cleaving them from your Seleucid rivals? Or are you going to go for the British Isles and Germania before then?

For the mnai situation, that's because all of my client states are set to auto-build. This actually makes the late game SO much less tedious because at that point, you have a lot of safe territories that can just build in any random order. All I have to do is build the core territories (which are mostly fully built up) and provinces which there aren't very much of. However, the main reason I have this on is to simulate client state control.

I'm just playing until I kill off the remaining victory condition factions like Aruernoi, Aedui, and Koinon Hellenon. So that means I'll be pushing up through the rest of Gaul and parts of Germania. Will probably take the isles because they're definitely gonna constantly harass me at that point.

About those Greeks though... they've been pushed to the western coast of the Caspian Sea. Taksashila have also expanded almost the the Black Sea. The finale of this campaign is going to be interesting.
    Last edited by XDeath007; April 03, 2018 at 10:57 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I've got a question: how did you manage to have 76 generals with 48 provinces? They were given by the game engine, or you've recruited them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I've got a question: how did you manage to have 76 generals with 48 provinces? They were given by the game engine, or you've recruited them?
    Client Rulers.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Client Rulers.
    What happened to the number of spouses and children given by the M2TW engine?

What happened to the number of spouses and children given by the M2TW engine?
    Recruitment of Client Rulers will override that. It might mean you struggle to get any new FMs by any other means, but as long as you have new provinces, you can get new Client Rulers for them.

Recruitment of Client Rulers will override that. It might mean you struggle to get any new FMs by any other means, but as long as you have new provinces, you can get new Client Rulers for them.
    Just to understand the system:
    - the M2TW engine gives as many new FMs (children, adoptions) to equate the number of generals with the number of provinces,
    - the Client Ruler don't count against this limit,
    - so you may struggle (ie no new spouses or children) if the number [all generals minus Client rulers] is higher than [provinces] ?

(or it works differently? is it that as you acquire a new province the engine would give you new FM?)
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Just to understand the system:
    - the M2TW engine gives as many new FMs (children, adoptions) to equate the number of generals with the number of provinces,
    - the Client Ruler don't count against this limit,
    - so you may struggle (ie no new spouses or children) if the number [all generals minus Client rulers] is higher than [provinces] ?

(or it works differently? is it that as you acquire a new province the engine would give you new FM?)
    Basically, the Client Ruler system ignores those limits and simply gives you a General for each province you construct an Allied Government in.

Your regular family will continue in parallel, but as a result of the hardcoded limitation on number of FMs, you may find that you stop getting FMs by any other means, because you're over your "limit".

I dont think it is an unusall number of generals. I have same number of provinces and even more generals. I wish I had less, my FM's are breeding like rabbits.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I have modded game so I can't really compare faction development, and I am 130 turns behind, but Seleukea became a threat in my game too, when they captured first province in Greece (Sparta) I went to war with them, reemerged Pergamon and gained some territories for allied democracy on Rhodes.
    Last edited by YourMadDoc; April 04, 2018 at 07:52 AM.

Basically, the Client Ruler system ignores those limits and simply gives you a General for each province you construct an Allied Government in.

Your regular family will continue in parallel, but as a result of the hardcoded limitation on number of FMs, you may find that you stop getting FMs by any other means, because you're over your "limit".
    Ok, so I understand that Client Ruler is similar to a recruitment of the "Bodyguards" units in vanilla or in various Medieval-times mods.

The system is then:
    - the M2TW engine gives children and spouses and adoptions
    - the player gets additionally a Client Ruler in the provinces with Allied Governments,
    - the M2TW engine stops giving (children, spouses adoptions) when the number of generals is roughly equal to the number of provinces. This is not a fixed number, there might be deviations of +/- a few generals, but still this is a rule established - due to my knowledge - by the community during 10+ years of playing the M2TW. Eg. Kull seems to share this opinion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    all factions eventually bump into a situation where birth-rates are impacted by settlement count. That's hard-coded and there's not much we can do about it.
    Or we were all wrong and YourMadDoc is right and the M2TW gives you more and more generals, even if you've got twice as many generals as provinces (in your case 81 generals with 44 provinces). Or YourMadDoc has found a way to mod the game so that it gives so many generals...
    Quote Originally Posted by YourMadDoc View Post
    I dont think it is an unusall number of generals. I have same number of provinces and even more generals. I wish I had less, my FM's are breeding like rabbits.

I have added agents so factions have more money so they can develop a bit differently as without this income.My modifications could alter AI development but in no way number of generals.

I had an army full of unwanted FM's even in unmodded EBII 400+ turns game, xDeath007 have also twice as many generals as provinces so I don't consider that to be unusual. What general/province ratio you usually have in EB2 late game?

Quote Originally Posted by YourMadDoc View Post
    xDeath007 have also twice as many generals as provinces so I don't consider that to be unusual. What general/province ratio you usually have in EB2 late game?
    xDeath007 didn't tell us how did he get those generals. I interpret the Quintus Sertorius answer to be: M2TW engine gave the normal number (= number of provinces), then the Client Rulers made for the high number.
    I might be wrong though.
    I've never made it to a late game with EBII yet.

I usually have more generals than provinces late game. Including Client Rulers. In fact, for a while I limit my expansion depending on the amount of generals I have, and I never end up putting it on hiatus because of that.

- the M2TW engine stops giving (children, spouses adoptions) when the number of generals is roughly equal to the number of provinces. This is not a fixed number, there might be deviations of +/- a few generals, but still this is a rule established - due to my knowledge - by the community during 10+ years of playing the M2TW. Eg. Kull seems to share this opinion:
    That comment was based on anecdotal reports from players. However, I've never seen a documented example which proves that province count is ultimately the key limiting factor. To the contrary, I've had 200+ test games as Pritanoi where I had only one province and yet over 30 FMs. It would be nice to know for sure what causes certain games to see FM births dry up while others are unaffected, but to this point we don't really know.
    EBII Council

In my notes from a few games with M2TW engine, the numbers are as follows (I never recruit bodyguards or adopt FM):
    Turns - provinces - generals
    73 - 14 - 9 (SS)
    156 - 18 - 17 (SS-BftB)
    235 - 20 - 13 (SSHIP)
    97 - 15 - 10 (SS-BftB)
    88 - 15 - 10 (WtnN - here I was offered a new general every turn)
    88 - 11 - 13 (BC)

So my experience seems to confirm the general thesis of a kind of link between provinces and generals.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; April 14, 2018 at 12:47 PM.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Makes me wonder, is it possible to create a small mod to remove the general-to-province limits entirely? It is always silly how people won't breed until the king conquers a new city for them.

Or perhaps not remove the limit entirely, but extend it to something like 4-6 family members per province, so that having a realistic dynastic gameplay is still possible...
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक