Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [New Course] American Constitutional Law For Beginners - Interest Check

Default Re: [New Course] American Constitutional Law For Beginners - Interest Check

Everyone who is interested should go ahead and apply to the student usergroup via the groups tab in your account page. Once Hader approve everything we will get started. For those who have free time right now, you can go ahead and start looking at our first case: Marbury v. Madison. This is a landmark decision from 1803 which established the doctrine of judicial review. Oyez is a great website to look at all the cases we will be discussing because it offers the full text of the case, a summary, and the syllabus all in one place. I highly recommend reading the full case and then the summary, but reading the summary will be good enough if you are crunched for time.

I have decided that participation in one Seminar will be a requirement from graduation from the course. At this point I plan on having three (dates/times heavily tbd) which will be recorded. I plan each one to last just one hour which will be meant to mimic a typical law school class. As such, please include your skype username here, unless I can get discord working in which case we will use that.

This makes the course requirements for graduation as follows, for those interested in the official designation:

(1) One Seminar participation, though everyone is encouraged to participate in all of them
    (1) One case brief
    Participation in all unit discussions (at least three posts, unless you have extenuating circumstances)

Dates are heavily TBD and will be decided on the basis of providing the maximum amount of flexibility to the largest number of people.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 09, 2018 at 09:17 PM.

Default Re: [New Course] American Constitutional Law For Beginners - Interest Check

Ok fellas we are live here! Can't see the forum yet? That's because you need to apply to the student permission group via your account drop down. See you there

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Good luck with the course Ponti.

Thanks, I'll need it

Is it too late to join in? I'm interested.

Not at all, just apply to the proper usergroup and you can jump right ni

Hey Pontifex,

I just sent the group request to Hader and hopefully should be enrolled soon! In the meantime I'll have a look at the material you've posted for the first case, and also peruse the syllabus a bit and see which of the left-over topics I'd like to present.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Still willing to follow through if there's interest

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

God- damnnnn if this isn’t something coming back from the dead

I’m in.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

I am still in. I have actually been thinking about this recently, and lamenting that it just drifted away. So yeah. Let's make it happen. But I think going forward it will be important that participants be genuinely interested in the course, and not have some passing motivation related to current events that then goes away in three weeks.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Why the heck not
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Let's go.

Anyone who doesn't do the reading will be beaten in front of the whole class. If we can agree to this, then I'll put together a modified timeline. Also, should probably give people more time or streamline things a bit.

I'm not sure if more time is really necessary. Last time this course was tried, it didn't seem an issue of people not being able to get things together quick enough, but rather them just bumming away like punks. I don't know for sure though. Maybe field some potential timelines, and see what everyone thinks.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Let's do it.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Easiest solution is to re-apply for "deadlines" already in place. These are not particular dates, not like a range for when discussion will occur.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

You've got a few people, lets get this thing going!

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

I am also happy to reboot this thing, if you are up for it Ponti (and enough of a crew can be put together). Just say the word, and I will add this to my studies
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I mean, 3 years later I'm still willing lmao
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Well, this is reassuring. It is certainly something I am still interested in doing, though the syllabus will need revision given how many users are interested. Without spending too much time revising the syllabus, a once per week hours long class would probably be the most realistic option. The classes and lessons outlined on the syllabus would not change, only their application. However, I am not even sure which Hex I would need approval of at this point with Hader being gone? Could someone advise?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast