Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [New Course] American Constitutional Law For Beginners - Interest Check

Default [New Course] American Constitutional Law For Beginners - Interest Check

Hello all,

I've recently been greenlighted by Hader to get the ball rolling on a new course and to seek some interested members for enrollment into this class. Of the three larger categories of Constitutional law we could investigate (either criminal matters, federalism or equal protection/liberty matters) I decided the area that would generate the most interest is equal protection/liberty issues. We will focus our attention on the constitutional dimensions of liberty and equality under the law. We will be going over Equal Protection, freedom of expression, the free exercise of religion, and the Establishment Clause.

The coursework will center around relevant landmark cases in a dual Socratic/lecture format. The purpose is to impart to the student a comprehensive understanding of the nature and boundaries of rights. Ideally I would like to have some sessions over skype or discord in order to more fully sample what would be a law school style Socratic seminar. We'll have to see how large the class gets. The class will follow the general format of atypical law school class, so I would advise that those interested in law school may find the process somewhat informative. We'll be dealing with identical cases and subject matter as you would take either your second or third year of school.

We can add topics by popular demand as they are demanded and if they are demanded. These topics were specially selected to be pertinent to discussions pertaining to the D&D forum right now, or other general areas of interest.

Goals

1. Develop an understanding of the dimensions of the rights outlined in the course
    2. Become conversant about the legal standards involved
    3. Gain a deeper understanding of Constitutional jurisprudence
    4. Consider multiple perspectives about these rights all the way from Supreme Court Justices to fellow students

Course Outline

Judicial Power
    Constitution: Articles 1, 2, 3 & Amends. Marbury v. Madison (1803)
    Introduction to Liberty, Rights, and Equality
    Equal Protection Foundations:
    Cruickshank (1876)
    The Civil Rights Cases (1883)
    Plessy v. Ferguson (1896)
    Equal Protection: Social and Economic Regulation/Rational Basis Review:
    Williamson v. Lee Optical, Inc. (1955)
    Massachusetts Bd. of Retirement v. Murgia (1976)
    City of Cleburne, Texas v. Cleburne Living Center (1985)
    Equal Protection, Race, and Strict Scrutiny
    Korematsu v. United States (1944)
    Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas (1954)
    Loving v. Virginia (1967)
    Affirmative Action on the Basis of Race:
    Adarand Constructors, Inc. v. Peņa (1995)
    Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin (2016)
    Classifications Regarding Aliens:
    Graham v. Richardson (1991)
    Ambach v. Norwick (1979)
    Freedom of Expression:
    Regulation of Fully Protected Speech:
    The strict scrutiny standard of review for content-based restrictions:
    Reed v. Town of Gilbert, Arizona (2015)
    United States v. Alvarez (2012)
    Time, place, and manner restrictions:
    Ward v. Rock Against Racism (1989)

Licenses, Pemits, and Fees:
    Shuttlesworth v. City of Birmingham (1969)
    Regulation of Lesser-Protected and Unprotected Speech:
    Incitement, Fighting Words, True Threats, Offensive Speech, Hate Speech:
    Incitement to illegal activity:
    Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969)
    Fighting words:
    Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire (1942)
    True threats, hate speech, and offensive speech:
    Virginia v. Black (2003)
    Freedom of Religion:
    Free Exercise:
    Reynolds v. United States (1879)
    Employment Division, Department of Human Resources of Oregon v. Smith (1990)
    Lemon v. Kurtzman, 403 U.S. 602 (1971)
    School Prayer:
    Lee v. Weisman, 505 U.S. 577 (1992)

FAQ

1. Will I have to read every one of those cases?

-No, as that would take way too long! I will be handling half the cases myself in the lecture format and outline to the class the biggest takeaways that we can then discuss. I may offer some hypothetical situations in order to drive discussion, which will be the main point of the course.

2. How long is this going to take?

-As long as it takes. We all have busy lives so the pacing will be whatever the needs of the class are.

3. Will I be able to ask questions as we go along?

-Absolutely, questions and discussions are encouraged. Reading the cases and understanding the law is only part of the course.

Professor Snape's Potions Constitutional Law Class Roster
    ​Axis Sunsoar
    Aexodus
    chesser2538
    Lord Oda Nobunaga
    King Athelstan
    NorseThing
    Gen. Chris
    Derpy Hooves
    bulgarpride
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 09, 2018 at 10:40 AM.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [New Course] American Constitutional Law For Beginners - Interest Check

Definitely interested

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [New Course] American Constitutional Law For Beginners - Interest Check

Sign me up!
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

I'd be interested depending on what date and time the Skype/Discord sessions were held.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

The schedule would be very TBD, but I couldn't imagine moving at a pace faster than one section heading per week at the absolute fastest. Some stuff may have to be cut for the purpose of saving time, but we will have to see.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Sounds interesting. Do you have all of these sources for us or do I need to go find them?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

They will be made available as they come up on a reading list, links included. Luckily everything can be sourced online for free.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

If you need to find something I can try.

Anyways I have never taken part in this but this time I want to join. Probably better than academia.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

You'll be very welcome.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I'm interested!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Welcome aboard!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Sign me up! I am glad there seems to be some life in the forum with a new course!!!!

Glad to have you!

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

You mentioned that you might conduct the courses via Discord or Skype. Any chance you could record what is said and release it after the course is finished so it remains for people who are too late to join?
    It'd probably be best to release it after so that people actually show up to the classes and you're not just sitting there talking to yourself if you do do it.

(I haven't decided whether I'll sign up or not, we'll see later)

I'm usually pretty hopeless with most technology, so if I can figure out a way to record those sessions that is something I would like to do. One of my goals for this course is to give those people who might be interested in law school the ability to test drive a law course in its format, so audio sessions in a socratic seminar would be crucial. I've also decided to assign one case to each student and have everyone do at least one case brief on one of the landmark decisions. So we'll be learning a bit about that as well. this will also allow some flexibility in the course itself. If someone is getting busy one week they can decide to do their case brief at a later or earlier date. Each brief will be used by the whole class as a template for discussion.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Tentative yes
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Noted, I hope you'll be joining us

Also, if anyone is interested in taking a slightly larger role in this, I will be needing a Teaching Assistant to aid in administrative needs. Let me know if you're interested.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I'm interested in this class

Count me in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast