Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: SUB-MOD SERIES PREVIEW: Twilight of a Third Age Volume II: Drums in the Deep

Default SUB-MOD SERIES PREVIEW: Twilight of a Third Age Volume II: Drums in the Deep

Greetings my dear readers. It is my pleasure to announce a new sub-mod for DaC today.....

Twilight of a Third Age Volume II: Drums in the Deep

Why?
    Drums in the Deep will be a small expansion to DaC that splits the current Orcs of the Misty Mountains faction into two distinct factions, each with their own unique units and flavour. These two factions will be the Goblins of the Misty Mountains and the Orcs of Gundabad.
    We have chosen to do this primarily because we feel the current Orcs of the Misty Mountains is too much of a 'blob' faction, being made up of 5 distinct groups and encompassing a huge amount of regions. Therefore, we feel it is in the spirit of DaC to split this blob into two smaller, more distinct and more unique factions. This has several benefits. If you play as them, you will find either of the factions should be harder as you no longer control the whole mountain range, and share it. We also believe this will help the AI, as currently we feel the AI suffers a lot playing this faction due to how spread out it is, and how many enemies it has, and so we predict that if we cut it into two, the AI will perform better as it will be more condensed and will border less enemies and thus, be able to focus better.

What?
    The Goblins of the Misty Mountains will occupy the same territory as the current Orcs of the Misty Mountains bar the northern regions such as Gundabad, Wrackyburg and Dain's Halls. Their main enemies should be Imladris, the Vale of the Anduin and Bree. Their playstyle will be much the same as the current Orcs of the Misty Mountains, with low tier hordes of trash; however we hope to spice them up by adding a few unique warg units and some elite archer units. They are composed of Goblintown, Moria and the Wargs of the Vale of the Anduin.
    The Orcs of Gundabad are a new faction composed of Gundabad and the Trolls of the Northern Mountains. They start with less territory than that of the Goblins and are set to dominate the Grey Mountains (The range to the north of Mirkwood and between the Misty Mountains and Erebor). Their main enemies will be the Woodland Realm, Erebor and the Vale of the Anduin. Their playstyle will revolve around trolls, and heavily armoured legions of orcs. As many of their regions contain lost dwarven strongholds, they have learnt to forge fine armour and weapons using dwarven forges, so we hope to give their elites the look from the Hobbit.
    This one:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

We also hope to give the two factions a unique script that links them, and as the only two pure orc factions, they will not get any human units unlike the other 'orc' factions that use sizeable amounts of humans.

Who?
    So far, our team consists of myself, Lordoflinks, El Monstero and Black Goldfish, MilesNDavis, Matsz, among others. The Undying Nephalim is responsible for the lovely Gundabad icon above.

When?
    I know the question that is on everyone lips. When will it come out? The truth is, we don't know; while we have already done a LOT of the framework and stuff that underlines a faction, we are lacking in one area, units. This will be the area that slows us down most, so if you can help us create the units we need, we would be eternally in your debt; any aid will speed up the development of this sub-mod. The more unit help we get, the faster we can release.

Preview Images:

Note:
    All the above information is subject to change, and the above images are from an older build, not everything in them is up to date.
    This mod will also be the second in a series entitled 'Twilight of a Third Age' that plans to overhaul various regions and aspects of DaC. A smaller taster focusing on Rhun will be released in the near future as Volume I: Flames in the East.
    Last edited by Link12; April 02, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

Celtic Magister's Avatar Miles

Default Re: SUB-MOD PREVIEW: Drums in the Deep

I recall the debate had on Discord about this. I'm glad it was decided to make an actual submod of it, using BOTFA themes for the Orcs of Gundabad.
    Reforged has actually made quite a few BOTFA-esque orc units that could be used by your submod.
    ---Unit Modelers and battle map creators wanted!--- Discord: https://discord.gg/7qwdgr4

This idea has been brewing for a very long time; if the debate is the one I am recalling, I believe I was using that to stealth gather ideas.
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

Very interesting. Thanks !

El Monstero29's Avatar Semisalis

I'd just like to clarify that this is actually a sub-mod series. The first episode of which will be a port of the flamethrower mod I made for version 1.2, only it's been much improved and has essentially turned into a small overhaul of Rhun.

After I release that, we'll be 100% focused on this project of splitting the Misty Mountains. But we have lots of other ideas for other changes we'd like to make as well. This won't just be a one off sub-mod, it will be a series of mods that build off each other.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: SUB-MOD SERIES PREVIEW: Twilight of a Third Age Volume II: Drums in the Deep

Good luck! Always interesting to see new ambitious projects!

FINALLY!!!! I love you for this. It was in my mind for so long, to the point i was thinking to try and learn how to mod and do this for my own version of DAC. OOTMM need some love as the main focus was always for Elves,Men and Dwarves. I wish you the best, i am so looking forward for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    Good luck! Always interesting to see new ambitious projects!
    Thank you! Our success really hinges on attracting another unit modeler or two our way. Black Goldfish is quite talented but he only has so much time in the day and we plan to essentially overhaul two faction's worth of units. Someone who can make unit cards would also be very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazaroth View Post
    FINALLY!!!! I love you for this. It was in my mind for so long, to the point i was thinking to try and learn how to mod and do this for my own version of DAC. OOTMM need some love as the main focus was always for Elves,Men and Dwarves. I wish you the best, i am so looking forward for this.
    Glad we have your support! There are several things we hope to do to make Misty(renamed as Goblins of the Misty Mountains) a bit more interesting. I won't go into any detail yet, but just know that this will be more than a just a unit overhaul.

You guys can expect our first release: Flames in the East, shortly after 2.2 comes out.

Default Re: SUB-MOD SERIES PREVIEW: Twilight of a Third Age Volume II: Drums in the Deep

im not really much of a modder, but a great fan of third age & dac.

splitting the factions you mention that trolls will mostly become a gundabad weapon,
    but i mostly feel that cave trolls are by lore (and as an ingame armour breaker) belong with moria and the goblin faction.

will these still be in there for the goblines but with less attention, or not at all?

Goblins will get cave trolls like they normally do and we are considering a way to allow the Goblins to have limited access to some Gundabad units and vice versa.

I losing my right now !

This is an epic project.

I wish you good luck as I am a giant orc fan ^^

I do not have to worry about the quality of the models!

Only the general on your preview looks incredibly good.

Announcement of part 2 before part 1..... Explain?

This is amazing, may the free time and luck be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaller View Post
    Volume I is a small side project that will release first; Volume II is our main project at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaller View Post
    Part 1 will be a port of this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-sound-effects!) Along with some other cool stuff for Rhun.

We decided to wait to release part 1 until after 2.2 is out. Mainly, because I don't want to have to update our mod immediately after releasing it. Pretty sure the DAC team is hoping to release 2.2 within the next couple weeks. Flames in the East will follow shortly after. Link made this post as both a preview and a sort of plea for help from the community.
    Last edited by El Monstero29; April 02, 2018 at 06:07 AM.

Really excited to see this love being spent on the OOtMM. Can't wait to see what you do with them and Gundabad.

The units slots are limited.

Will you remove a few units or whole factions?

There are enough slots. We are currently not focused on the Reunited Kingdom, as the original DaC team saved a few slots for them, but even then we have enough. It is all later talk, but for our current ambitions, we have more than enough slots without killing other factions and units.

Also coming, when I do not know, is my task on traits redone. Right now I am trying to create a rebellion script (quite known in SS mods and well received. I know I loved rebellions myself.) but my main point is just to overhaul the traits. Making authority a thing, as well as revamping the Fear/Respect into a Infamy/Renown, just a slight name change with possibly different symbols. A lot is up in the air, lots and lots of text, deleting, maybe some cheating copy and paste But this is definitely our first step, what Link posted. So glad to be here.

Edit: The rebellion script will most likely, definitely, be within evil/neutral nations only. Unless there's a sudden outcry for Dunedain to be morphed into backstabbing sons o' &%$&%^ I'm not really interested in making Gondor a death sentence.
    Last edited by MilesNDavis; April 02, 2018 at 09:44 AM.

Great work guys, this looks really promising.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast