Thread: Why is there 40 units in most scenarios?

Icon1 Why is there 40 units in most scenarios?

This is really breaking the game for me and my friend. NTW was created for 20 units, why add another 20 which obviously slow up the performance? It also makes them very hard to control since all of them can't be displayed in your units tab...

While I'm at it, most spawnpoints are horrible, too. Most of the time half of my army spawns somewhere in the rear and it takes them half an hour to travel to the actual battlefield. Has anybody even tested the scenarios?

Default Re: Why is there 40 units in most scenarios?

Thanks for the question and thoughts. I'll address them one by one...

Unit counts: For Scenarios, these are recreated Unit for Unit from the historical battles. These are not watered down NTW vanilla historical battles. Most Scenarios represent a regiment at 50% of it's actual strength and sometimes down to 40 or 35% based on the number of units etc. I did built these with a purpose and that was to replicate the actual battles as near as possible on maps designed between 70 and 100% actual scale. I have considered doing "Brigade" sized scenarios but that is a lot more work than it may be worth.

Unit display tab: There are mods available that will display up to 80 units, as far as I am aware. This is up to the user to install if they choose. Yes, there are a lot of units, sometimes up to 100 per side. Learn to manage them. These battles are not about rushing and charging in. You need to manage the battle slowly and with planning and keeping reserves. Scenarios are not meant to be 'easy' nor 'all at the front'. IF it was possible to delay entry of units by script, I would. However, CA does not allow for that in this game. Therefore, units start on the board as near the entry point historically, as I can possibly make it. Some maps are cut off, units left out, due to these issues.

It sounds like you expect these to be easy and well, easy. The historical scenarios are HISTORICAL scenarios. The units are where they were at that moment or as near as I can make them. What would be accurate about putting entire armies on the front lines at the beginning??? All I can really say is "don't play it if you don't like it". The scenarios are balanced within HISTORICAL context. Either side can win. It's up to the player to manage his forces.

There are countless Youtube videos of multiple players completing these scenarios in either version 1.0 or 2.0 and they seem to love them. This project is NOT vanilla NTW. Few are and even fewer give you historical battle scenarios like I do. Again, if you don't like them, don't play them.

I have made all of this and performance demands quite clear in all the documentation, for years. If your PC is not above average, you need to dial back settings, both video and sound. I have never developed products, having been a leading community map maker for countless games for some 20 years, by dumbing down things for moderate or low-end PCs.

If you have legitimate and thought out suggestions, I'm happy to hear them. What I get from your post comes off, in my perception, as someone that did not read through the documentation/user guide and expects this to be an easy mod like the vanilla game. If you'd like to rethink your comments and make valid suggestions instead of ranting half-informed protests, I'm happy to discuss your ideas. But as for what I've said, the scenarios are HISTORICALLY based and not for the insta-win, whining, everybody-gets-a-trouphy millennial crowd.
    ACW 2.6 - American Civil War Released:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ar-June-2-2019