Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: More building slots

Default Re: More building slots

Hi, do you really plan to finish this?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    I know about blocking character. Sorry for not telling you ahead but let´s say you confirm us that I´m not making some kind of silly mistake in process. :-)

Anyway I know how to bypass this blocking. However by doing so it is making game unstable and it will crash in matter of a few turns so it is not solution we are seeking.
    Is this a problem related to the garrison captain?
    I can make a script that will kill every garrison captain only (well, he will respawn next turn but maybe the killing window is enough to remove this block)
    Let me know if you want the script and give it a try.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Do you think you will come back to this and finish adding slots to Warhammer II? Or if you don't want to, could at least transfer some information explaining what you did to someone who could take over?
    This looked very promising from your screens, it's very frustrating not to see this UI finalized.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Vardano View Post
    Hi, do you really plan to finish this?
    Sure. Between different guys asking me about finishing Wh1/Wh2/R2 and Attila, yeah. Just finishing Kingdome Come: Deliverence hardcore run and ToB achievement hunt. This is simply not center of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Is this a problem related to the garrison captain?
    I can make a script that will kill every garrison captain only (well, he will respawn next turn but maybe the killing window is enough to remove this block)
    Let me know if you want the script and give it a try.
    It´s not. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Do you think you will come back to this and finish adding slots to Warhammer II? Or if you don't want to, could at least transfer some information explaining what you did to someone who could take over?
    This looked very promising from your screens, it's very frustrating not to see this UI finalized.
    Yes, I will. I should have again more time during summer and hopefully even mood to crack a few more stuff here and there. Wh1 part is almost done, Wh2 has not started but it is following Wh1 pattern mostly, R2....R2 is oscillating between almost done and impossible.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Patrician

R2....R2 is oscillating between almost done and impossible.
    I love uncertainty

Well, if you would ever do that you would save me a lot of time regarding a sort of "fake" more building slot I could do via script (not involving buildings)
    If you need help regarding something, let me know

Hi,

I'm not very familiar with startpos editing but is this possible to be imported directly in DeI when it's finished and how much work it requires? When creating a startpos you have to start from vanilla setup and work it as a "working version". When compiled intoa a pack, it becomes a version that cannot be altered by another user (he needs the working version to do that). As said Dresden has done quite a work to create DeI's startpos into what it is today and if this bonus building slot addons requires the work to be done all over again then I guess it would get too complicated?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I'm not sure about Rome, but for Warhammer, you need:
    - A simple edit of the startpos. It's just one column and one table.
    - A change in the DB, so that the settlement give the proper bonus to the slots. Easy to do and portable
    - The UI changes, which are the "magic" done by Daruwind, and I think this is portable to.

To sum up: making it work with DEI when it is ready should not be too hard, but requires editing the startpos, better if DEI team does it.

Except the fact that WH(s) and R2/Attila/ToB are different in case of handling startpos. What you describe as simple change to startpos is true in case of Wh(s) where such startpos can be build by AK it is not very much case for the other TW(s) where things are tied down to campaign map. As I said, it is working for me in Wh1, possibly Wh2 but there are still problems in older games... About UI, that is unique for each game and has to be reconstructed in way respecting particular game. So in short answer, portable no, similar ..kind of. While I can see now the evolution of UI R2->Attila->Wh(s)+ToB but it is not working that way.....easy try, go ahead and load game with settlement panel from different TW. I will crash 100% times no matter which two games you try. No it is not same..

To @MrTimbe68 questions. Current state is, UI part seems working independently on game state, aka number of slots in startpos. Previously I stated otherwise but quess what, people learn with errors This part is work for R2 is done. But on other hands , change that are possible in WH(s) due to AK are not working for R2 and even with manual insertion....R2 AK is simply not doing that stuff...and changes are still producing not fully working game. This is tied to startpos/campaign map itself and that´s why I´m saying it is oscillating between almost done and impossible.
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 24, 2019 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I'm not sure about Rome, but for Warhammer, you need:
    - A simple edit of the startpos. It's just one column and one table.
    - A change in the DB, so that the settlement give the proper bonus to the slots. Easy to do and portable
    - The UI changes, which are the "magic" done by Daruwind, and I think this is portable to.

To sum up: making it work with DEI when it is ready should not be too hard, but requires editing the startpos, better if DEI team does it.
    Thanks you for your answer!

I'm not going to interfere in this matter in anyway, let the smarter people handle this. I was just concerned about the wellbeing of Dresden when it comes to time when this addon is complete and he has to overhaul it to DeI

Except the fact that WH(s) and R2/Attila/ToB are different in case of handling startpos. What you describe as simple change to startpos is true in case of Wh(s) where such startpos can be build by AK it is not very much case for the other TW(s) where things are tied down to campaign map. As I said, it is working for me in Wh1, possibly Wh2 but there are still problems in older games... About UI, that is unique for each game and has to be reconstructed in way respecting particular game. So in short answer, portable no, similar ..kind of. While I can see now the evolution of UI R2->Attila->Wh(s)+ToB but it is not working that way.....easy try, go ahead and load game with settlement panel from different TW. I will crash 100% times no matter which two games you try. No iot is not same..
    Hi, I hope you complete this great venture one day and we can enjoy more building slots in R2 too! God speed, and much respect!

Sure. Between different guys asking me about finishing Wh1/Wh2/R2 and Attila, yeah. Just finishing Kingdome Come: Deliverence hardcore run and ToB achievement hunt. This is simply not center of my life.
    Hello, is this any close to become center of your life?

I wonder if it is possible to get a hold of someone that worked on the project and ask them some questions to clear the roadblocks or make it easier. They might be listed in the credits and have a Twitter handle or something. Do you want me to try my hand to find someone that worked on it originally?

Quote Originally Posted by Star Foth View Post
    I wonder if it is possible to get a hold of someone that worked on the project and ask them some questions to clear the roadblocks or make it easier. They might be listed in the credits and have a Twitter handle or something. Do you want me to try my hand to find someone that worked on it originally?
    I think it would awesome but we need modder who will work on it, since mister Daruwind ignores his own thread and words.

Patrician

Come on, Vardano, no need for such posts.
    Daruwind already said what he had to many times.
    When and if he'll solve those issues he'll come back.

Hey guys, sorry for lack of updates. In short, i spent year by poking R2 and found a lot stuff that is not working. Then I spent this year also arguing with a few guys who wanted to help, then asking for doing stuff for them and in the end everybody is asking for early access version for his favourite campaign/game. Steph is mad because he would like more slots in WH2. I haven´t had time to finish WH1 itteration at all.... Heck i had to reply to a few messages about Attila version which I said will be long after R2 and basically never ever started the UI alteration (i can just had no time so far) and this guy was convinced I promised it to him and was expecting to get the file "now"......This project is mostly fun for me and this year I found that while I enjoy modding I hate dealing with angry mob of people with various expectations. Like I´m not doing this to farm rep or anything..Most people already moved to newer games...

Getting input from anybody who worked on it would be great. But...there are always buts. It is already a few years after R2 (Attila,ToB are kinda similar but now Wh1/Wh2, 3K, Saga) and system is evolving. Have you try to look into 3k startpos and UI stuff? I already spoke with a few CA people and unless we got somebody responsible for creating engine part of stuff, who know how internal,backend function are working, it won´t help. Like we are not even speaking about building game, we are speaking about building blocks from which all other CA people were creating the game as we know it. There is so much trash data, trash code, trash duplicite stuff...I´m doing hex editing to some stuff...they have their nice editors and stuff. They tell me what they know and I try to find it in data and quess what is what. And basically even CA guys were like "huh, we never know how some parts work internally". This is kind of we are trying to hack.. Do you know PFM is not able to make all changes to some parts of startpos? That some parts are being displayed wrongly? It is nice fun..

To put is simple. WH1 is first game with Assembly Kit having option to chance number of slots in settlement. All previous game have it set somewhere in the code. Not like set by one digit limit somewhere, as there is no such number anywhere in the code. They just used those numbers like 3/4/5/6 because some engine guys set the game in this ways....I´m looking at various campaign files even trying to make sense from hex_map so sure, point me to somebody who is able to work with R2 campaign maps. Right....it is hardcoded. Except it means it is more likely just coded and nobody was ever expected to poke in those parts. And we just need right tool for decoding and altering.

but to end on positive side. I learned lot, I made sense from lot stuff (probably not important but it is nice when different numbers in startpos or data_pack are finally making sense ) and probably narrow down the stuff. I´m working on it slowly 5 years, I don´t care if it will take 5 more. But you can bet the minute it is working 100% i will say it. Then we can. I´m already working and discussing stuff with people and definitely can find right people for right stuff I need and when I need.

I fully understand how hard it is to mod.
    This project brings tons of interest, people are constantly checking this thread, so I think op just could give a formal update on what is going on.
    As I understand I have been just called "angry mob" which is quite nice thing to say. I like it. I had to play Black Sabbath's "Mob rules" to enjoy the moment.

I know that you don't owe anything to anyone if you are modder, right. Then again if you are able to build a hype around your work and you confirm that you will finish it, then, I guess, it requires to give some updates to people who are really interested in the development of your mod and have expectations because of what you have said. Do you agree, Jake?

Daruwind, good luck with this and I hope people will help you out greatly. As I said many times, this mod could be game changer alongside with POR.

People in this thread are very nice part of community trust me. There is nobody not even you Vardano I have bad opinion about or people I would ignore ... But cannot say the same about my discord and email.

Truth is, I´m also little dissapointed with my own progress. But then again I had to think about every information as some persons from WH development were saying contradict part to some others from R2/Attila/ToB and only after cross checking of details I was able to get any sense of it. I honestly don´t blame anybody. Lot people already tried to help. Every game is little different. They know what to put there for minor settlement or major, for port but have no explanation why or what might happen if.... For example just last week I got idea that maybe Attila might be actually way better then R2 enginewise. Because in Attila we have Hordes so engine somehow is understanding building slot 1-10 and because backend is different while R2 is trully dumb and has only 1-4 and 1-6 for minor/major settlements. But such simple idea for me to check is about month or two time just before I can make sense of it.

I personally was very hyped with your videos - it almost looked like a done deal. I wish I could give you some help. Did you talk to Jake? There are rumors he can do anything

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Man this is very interesting. How did you even edit UI? Would it be possible to edit other UI parts, say, swap skill slots with the trait slots?

Just to let you know guys, I´m spending time by decrypting the map files. Creating methodology (because R2/Attila/ToB are similar and I will probably continue with other campaigns with different point sizes...and I never know when it migh be important down the line) So extraction of map files, getting idea how to convert hexes into some excel tables and linking exact point to engine logic and recontruct maps at least in logical sense. For now I´m happy with knowing which hexes correspond with which point. Actual values and what does it mean...that is another question. (BTW I hate scripting anyway but learned powershell as bonus of all this fun ) Can we alter map itself this way? No idea. BUt there are multiple layers of logic information...probably like is water, is earth, hopefully city and especially designation for building slots and others...

All of this is simply because all my research is pointing me in that direction.

EDIT: blue is reconstructed inaccessible map part for main R2 campaign solely on map data.

Anyway about UI editing question. It is possible, it is hard. Let´s say alteration of existing elements should be possible for 75% (I found some obstacles that I was unable to solve like some kind of docking positions that simply won´t allow alteration...or I was dumb not to find right way...) adding new elements is like 30% possible and rare. Basically it might work if engine is already creating multiple objects, inserting another one is likely to work. Overally my advice would be to try scripting first. My UI alteration is dirty, low level thing that is requiring a lot time and result is not sure. On other hand I went this way because scripters said they cannot do it And because almost nobody si doing this kind of stuff, that is giving you impression how painful process
    Last edited by Daruwind; October 20, 2019 at 06:17 PM.

Patrician

Keep it up, Daruwind, let us know if you need something

EDIT: blue is reconstructed inaccessible map part for main R2 campaign solely on map data.
    are you tryng to check if the non-blue parts are editable?
    hell...