Thread: Any Tutorials for startpos.esf Editing?

Default Any Tutorials for startpos.esf Editing?

Used to extensively mod RTW and M2TW to death, and now want to try my hand with Rome2.

Have got PFM3.5.1 fired up and a copy of startpos.esf unpacked...but need tutorial on how to have strings open as text.
    I wanted to start my Rome mod-tweaking career with Epiros's starting units.

Anybody got tutorials?

Stuie's Avatar Laudir Agus Mir

Default Re: Any Tutorials for startpos.esf Editing?

A month with no answer? Ouch.

This is a good starting point, given that the basic structure of the file is the same as Empires.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...D-startpos-esf

That thread also has some good links to others that may help answer any startpos.esf questions.

Honestly I'm not certain the forum structure for modding makes complete sense; I constantly find myself having to go to R2 and S2 modding threads to find answers to questions about Attila. But I suppose that is a discussion for another thread...

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymos View Post
    Used to extensively mod RTW and M2TW to death, and now want to try my hand with Rome2.

Have got PFM3.5.1 fired up and a copy of startpos.esf unpacked...but need tutorial on how to have strings open as text.
    I wanted to start my Rome mod-tweaking career with Epiros's starting units.

Anybody got tutorials?
    It's much easier to edit the startpos using assembly kit.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Apologies for reanimating a dead thread, but:

I've been googling, searching manuals and just trying to brute force it on my own for a couple days now.

How do you open an existing startpos with the assembly kit? With BoB? Dave?

Could you please point me to the section of any existing English manual regarding opening an existing startpos?

Specifically, if it matters, the existing Startpos I want to edit is for Shogun 2

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

You asked how to open a startpos with the assembly kit, the Modding Guide for Novices says:
    2.3 Tools for ESF Editing

• Assembly Kit Beta: startpos.esf functionality (through "Tweak"), requires data to be in pack file format, best for startpos.esf editing (due to dealing with the tabulated ESF form)
    • EditSF: reads the raw file instead of pack file formats (EditSF Only), best for save file editing (due to not requiring pack files)
    • PFM + recent DB Schemata: startpos.esf functionality, requires data to be in pack file format
    • Savegame Parser: This was initially a support tool and is currently expanding into a editor itself as well.
    I don't know if the Modding Guide for Novices is up to date - if so, the answer is Tweak, and .Mitch provided a guide to using Tweak (as before I don't know if this still works).

Magnar's video may help too.

Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know - and good luck!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ignaeon View Post
    Specifically, if it matters, the existing Startpos I want to edit is for Shogun 2
    I suggest having a look at the guides to Campaign Map and Starting Positions modding, listed on the Shogun 2 Modding Index on the TWC Wiki.

(There is at least one guide to editing the startpos listed in the Modding Index under the Scripting heading, too).

Thank you, I've gotten a little further since asking that, but I'm still having the issue of there doesn't appear to be any way for me to "Import" the Startpos.esf I'm trying to edit in the Shogun 2 Assembly Kit, using TWeak. I'll watch that video and double check the threads and guides to see if they have the answer.