Thread: Tale of the Week 274: Slavery - SUBMISSION THREAD

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Tale of the Week 274: Slavery - SUBMISSION THREAD

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Picture of the Week | Tale of the Week | Monthly Writers' Study Competitions | Graphics Workshop Monthly Competition >>

Slavery

By Unknown - Museu Afro Brasil (Săo Paulo), Public Domain, source.

Key words
    Beasts
    Humanity
    Future
    Oppression
    Injustice

Rules - PLEASE READ

• The title and picture are there simply for inspiration, you do not have to use them if you don't want to - besides the keywords everything else is up to you!
    • Each theme will have a number of keywords that have to be used in your submission. They can be used in any way, but please place these words in bold so they can easily be seen by the competition organiser(s).
    • When using the keywords you may change singular nouns into plurals and vice versa; and you may change the tenses of verbs. No other changes are permitted.
    • The submission must have a minimum of 200 words. The title counts towards this minimum, but footnotes, explanatory notes, and other supplementary texts do not. The submission must also have a maximum of 500 words INCLUDING all titles, footnotes etc.
    • The submission must be placed in a spoiler.
    • The submission period will last at least two weeks. If we have three entries after two weeks, voting will begin. The submission period may be extended at the discretion of the competition organiser(s).
    • If you are a contestant you are honour bound to not read other contestants' writings until you have submitted yours.
    • If your entry is found to be substantially similar to another entry your submission will be disqualified. This is at the discretion of the competition organiser(s).
    • Contestants are not allowed to directly advertise their stories or ask for votes. If this is discovered you will be disqualified. Posting "Please vote for my entry in TotW" is NOT allowed. However, posting "Please vote for your favourite entry in TotW" is not only allowed, it is encouraged!
    • This thread is for submissions only. If you have any comments or questions then please post them in the commentary thread.
    • Please note that all rules including word count and key words will be strictly enforced. Rule breakers will be disqualified from the vote.

AwardsEach winning story will receive 1 Writers' Study Competition point. This point will be added to the total number of points you have won from TotW and other Writers' Study competitions, and recorded in the Writers' Study Hall of Fame. When you have accumulated enough points, you will be awarded the appropriate Writers' Study Competition Medal.

• 6 points - bronze medal
    • 12 points - silver medal
    • 24 points - gold medal

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Tale of the Week 274: Slavery - SUBMISSION THREAD

Submission TotW - 497 words

Slavery, then and now
    Note:I don't endorse slavery in any way, nor would I want to decrease its severity. I simply looked at the subject slavery and ethics from a pure rational angle. This is what I think and is therefore not the 'truth'. I added this note because I know slavery is a very sensitive subject and this text could be interpreted out of context.

Slavery, it is no stranger to humanity. From the ancient Egyptians to the British Empire, slavery existed. This inhumane practice had been the rise and fall of many a great empire. Slavery has been present in all cultures be they white, black, asian or other. Slave markets were strewn around the world and was not a thing to be frowned upon until the modern era. It had been part of many societies for ages and they considered it not to be wrong. It was just the way of life back then. Today however we condemn this practice as an oppression of people. With the modern age came the idea of equality of all human beings and slavery was therefore banned in the modern world. However, this injustice is still a part of this world and will probably always be part of this world.

Most agree that the practices employed in most of the developing countries is borderline slavery. Many of the employees there are still children and are working in a similar environment as the Europeans did at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century. But we are all slaves in a way. In most of the world, slavery is concealed behind supposed “choice”. However in the end it comes down to one simply thing. Money. You need money to survive. You earn money by working, at least for 99,99 percent of the population. Ergo, in order to survive you must work. Slavery is working in exchange for survival. I'm not comparing the slaves of old to our situation because they are two different things within the same subject. Other times, other circumstances. You now have the 'choice' to choose your labour and your 'master', your employer, as well that we enjoy certain freedoms the slaves of old never had. You get paid for this labour in money but that is just a middle ground as you require money to survive. Of course you 'willingly' sign the contract to your employer but do you have much of a choice in the matter? If you think about it, you don't.

The idea that slavery is evil is but a social construct that we as a species have agreed upon. It is just something we made. Ethics don't exist in the world beyond that of humans. We created good and evil and it has changed constantly over the ages. It would be nice to go to a future where slavery is a thing of the past, that we could overcome this, instead of staying the beasts that we really are.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

TotW Slavery Submission
    There are many ways to look at slavery when looking back from the 21st century. Many slave owners viewed the slaves as mere beasts. Many people now view the slave owners as mere beasts as well. It is easy to look back and see what we want to see. I admire people with dreams of a better future. Such was the vision that some had back in the 1950's and the 1960's. More importantly, they also had ideas on how to achieve their dreams.

For example, Rosa Parkas was one such dreamer of a better future. She refused to give up a bus seat to a white person in Mongomery Alabama. She saw the laws were imposing an injustice on many. This was the Jim Crow era. Colored people, a not so polite term as used, were kept from lunch counters where they would be able to sit next to a white person. This was the era of 'seperate but equal'. Seperate drinking fountains needed to be offered or blacks could not quench their thirst on a hot Alabama day. It was seperate or it was 'whites only' for all facilities and services. It was seldom equal.

Various people termed as 'freedom riders' road the Greyhound buses over the state line into Alabama. They were proud black men who did not acknowledge the local laws on giving up their seats to white people and moving to the backs of the bus. It was proper according to state law at the time that blacks do this, but many people were looking to a future when such legal obligations and actions would be held in contempt as a grave injustice.

Martin Luther King had a dream, again looking to the future, that all men would be judged by their character and not by the color of their skin. That skin color concept was a residue of the justification by some why the color could justify oppression. Skin color at birth could 'justify' in many white people this state of being.

Today we are about to see a new (private foundation) Memorial for Peace and Justice to open in Montgomery Alabama where much of this change happened. It will be a quiet setting for contemplation about the past as well as the future. The adjacent museum will remind us of the horrors of lynching and the humiliations that many had to endure in the Jim Crow era. This memorial and museum will be important to visit. It will be even more important for our children to visit. We all need to learn from the mistakes that were made in the past but we should not dwell upon those mistakes. Rather, we should dream of a better future for humanity as did Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks.

memorial link: https://museumandmemorial.eji.org/visit

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

A Letter of a Slave
    Spring 1863

My Love,

This letter that I write with assistance of a kind priest, is a testimony of my survival. After I was parted from you, I was carted off towards the northern borders. I was told that I was to fight for the gentlemen, our masters. But how could I fight for them? Knowing full well that all of our life, they had treated us little more than beasts. They chained us like beasts, and subjected us to cruel beatings. How they kept our child away from us, all because our master intended to sell him off once he was older.

But I did not fight for them. I escaped! I bid my time while they marched us towards their army camp. And on a quiet night in the forest, we took our chance. I overpowered the captain with my heavy chains, while the other men leaped at the guards. We showed them what it was like to be beaten without mercy. But we were discovered, for the fight with the guards was not silent. We were soon on the run from their patrols. Among our group were men who had lost their family to the injustice of their masters. They sacrificed their lives to aid our escape. And through many trials and suffering, we had crossed the border and broken the bonds of slavery.

It was then that I almost lost my faith in humanity. But it was not to remain so! It was here that I was called to a much nobler cause. The kind priest who now helps me write this letter spoke to me what our President proclaimed. That we should take up arms against this oppression. That any man, woman, or child should not live in servitude, while they were in the land of liberty.

So I enlisted! I come to you not as a slave, bowed and humbled with chains and beatings. But as a soldier of the Union army, fighting shoulder to shoulder with our brothers. We shall prevail! We may have lived a life of slavery, but the future of our children will not be the same. I was born a slave, but if I fall in battle, I shall fall as a free man!

When I will come to you, hide not but show me your wounds, so I am able to avenge your insult by repaying our master for his kindness. And even though you will not see this letter unless I come to you either in victory or having fallen in battle, I write this so you will know that I had you in my thoughts.

My regiment moves south! Wait for me…
    Last edited by m_1512; April 07, 2018 at 02:01 AM. Reason: grammar

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Tale of the week 274 submission - 367 words
    Slaves in the arena. That’s what we were. Taken from our homes, and sold to wealthy people for a pitiful sum of money. We were nothing but property. We were taken by a rival tribe after beating us in battle. They raped our women, killed our sons and sold us to the folks north of us, to the Empire. Where was the humanity? They were unused to our ebony skin, and they sent us to make a spectacle. People were amazed at our sight. We were forced to perform many grim tasks, all to the enjoyment of the pale owners. There is no end to the oppression. The free who see us both hate and love us. The men from my tribe had stuck together, working together to overcome the challenges thrown at us. All for the glory of the pale owners. Armed with spears, the future looked grim. We were sent out into what we had come to call our home. The red sand enveloped our sandals, and the sun blazed over us. With the crowd cheering all around us, we marched forward with gritty determination. We would fight for our freedom. Then we saw the beast.
    We had seen its like many times before. The spectators however had not, and were amazed by it. The size was massive, covered in thick grey skin, with a long nose, big ears, and two giant, white tusks. We were terrified. We had fought it before, but not like this. The crowd annoyed the animal by throwing rocks at it, sending it into a furious charge towards us. It was ripping us to pieces, and the crowd loved it. Then it pulled back, and prepared to charge again.
    The injustice was incredible. Our captors buy humans as objects, and base their economy on them. They capture animals, and torture them. As it charged towards us yet again, my comrades ran to the side. I however, stood still. I was tired of this long oppression by the pale owners. I couldn’t stand it anymore. This was all meaningless. Lives wasted in the arena, to please the masses. This is where lives ended. In the Coliseum. For the glory of Rome.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman