Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROTG Mod

Default ROTG Mod

Rise of the Goguryeo is a mod for the Rise of the Samurai campaign. It takes place during a time known as the Three Kingdoms period of Korea. Three kingdoms Silla, Baekje and Goguryeo fight amongst themselves and against the Chinese Commanderies for control of the Korean peninsula. This was a formative period of Korean history and the country's name itself is derived from 'Goguryeo'.

This mod will include:

• A brand new campaign map, covering Korea and parts of Manchuria.
    • Unit rosters for Chinese, Korean and Steppe culture factions.
    • Events and dilemmas unique to the time period.

The newest version of the mod has just been uploaded. With this update most of the gameplay elements have been implemented. The Chinese and Korean factions now have their own unit rosters. Most of what is left to do is cosmetic updates; this includes things like adding in custom unit models and textures, changing event and dialogue texts, creating new 2D art, adding in Korean sounds.

If you want to play this mod before the final version is released now is the best time.
    Since the majority of changes from now on will be superficial, your feedback is needed on the current state of the campaign. The earlier I receive feedback the more likely I will be able to incorporate it into the final version of the mod.

DOWNLOAD: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-0...3QoTSDe8oteHDk

(I made a mistake and uploaded the wrong file, if you still have the vanilla ROTS units you are using an old version of the mod, to get the new version you will have to download it again! sorry!)

The file ROTG_mod is all you need to play Rise of the Goguryeo. Of course, you will need Sinfonica Semplice (included in the zip file) in order to fix the bow sounds. Check the latest posts to see what I am hoping for in terms of feedback and please let me know of any bugs you encounter when playing. I am currently aware of some the big spikes that can appear on the campaign map.

Last edited by mauiaw; April 21, 2018 at 09:44 AM.

Default Re: ROTG Mod

Well, here is a big clue as to what the mod is about. I think the faction leader is borrowing a few assets that I will eventually replace.

I couldn't get the province map to work properly yet, but I ought to soon and the campaign map should be playable by the weekend. I am planning on releasing the mod as an 'alpha' so that you can play-test the map.

Holy Mauiaw. It has been a time. Is that Korea? Glad to see you back.

I had a few problems today but got most of them solved in the end. The last thing left to do is to get the lookup map to work. In the meantime here is a screenshot of the view from Gaya, looking towards Silla and the states of the Jinhan confederacy

Lets hope for something more tomorrow!

I'm pleased to announce that the first version of the mod is available to play. See the download link in the first post!

Great man. Whish i could +rep. But unfortunately, i already did and i can't anymore. Have you fixed the mini map problem (at least it looks like that in the pic)? Better ask for a hosted forum. As it is a big overhaul.

Yeah, thanks for all your help. The issue with the lookup map was an issue with GIMP. It worked fine when I saved it using photoshop.

I'm basing the unit cards off the tomb murals painted by the Goguryeo. Here is an example of the unit card for the Korean axemen:

I'm not at all an artist, but I hope it will do. And here is the mural he came from:

You can see a couple of other units from the Korean roster as well. Since it is going to take some time to complete the unit cards and models for the new units, I am planning on releasing an update for the mod this weekend including the new units in an unfinished (cosmetic) state. However, with the update all the gameplay elements should be set in place, and all that will be left to do is update the ui/text/etc. to fit the period.

Quote Originally Posted by mauiaw View Post
    -snip-
    Hey, all of that's pretty incredible. Axe units in Shogun 2 will be quite unique, to say the least. The fact that you've already made such large strides into creating a Korean campaign is quite awesome.

a great mod,how long will finish it?looking forward..

Hey, thank you both for your support. Its difficult to say how long it will take to finish as it depends heavily on my free time. Perhaps, 2 months to complete all the cosmetic/text updates I want, but like I said gameplay-wise the update this weekend would be a good time to give the campaign an early run.

If anyone would like to help, that would speed things along. Writing different event texts/dialogues doesn't require any modding experience and would be very useful to me.

These are a few of the models I will be adding to the campaign. The first is of a cavalry(?) helmet from the Han dynasty, you can see the photo I used as a reference:

Next, we have some Korean axemen, with the funny hats everyone seems to think were fashionable at the time:

and finally, I've ported OldFox's Qin dynasty models from Rome 2. These are heavily armoured Ji Halbediers:

They're looking pretty dark at the moment because they need a robe to cover their ninja pants!
    Last edited by mauiaw; April 17, 2018 at 07:16 AM.

These are a few of the models I will be adding to the campaign. The first is of a cavalry(?) helmet from the Han dynasty, you can see the photo I used as a reference:
    It'll be fine for lighter cavalry as well standard infantry but heavier armored soldiers by the timeframe of your mod utilized a hood shaped lamellar helmet.

References:
    Han Jingdi terracotta soldier
    Chu principality terracotta soldiers

Terracotta shields bearers
    Red Cliff movie cavalry

Next, we have some Korean axemen, with the funny hats everyone seems to think were fashionable at the time:
    The Eastern Han had similar headgear,though not with such a protruding back end. I'm hoping CA uses the correct type of turban for the upcoming Three Kingdoms game instead of the Western Han examples.
    Western Jin statue

and finally, I've ported OldFox's Qin dynasty models from Rome 2. These are heavily armoured Ji Halbedier:
    You might want to see if you can cannibalize 大汉西征(The Great Han's Western conquest) mod for Rome 2. On a side note,most Han soldiers seemed to have use a dagger staff known as a Pi according to this forum post.
    http://historum.com/asian-history/45...inventory.html
    Last edited by Wu Guo; April 18, 2018 at 12:21 AM.
    非我族類,其心必異

Oh wow! I've been using this site as a reference and it seems like they have already added in a lot of the armour that I had planned to do. I could only find the mod by searching for the Chinese characters, it's funny how separate the East and West modding communities are. Do you know how I could get hold of them for their permission to use the models?

I was also planning on adding in the Korean voicelines from the Imjin war of Korea mod for MTW2, once I had figured out a way to contact the mod creator.

The newest version of the mod has just been uploaded, the download link is in the OP. With this update most of the gameplay elements have been implemented. The Chinese and Korean factions now have their own unit rosters. Most of what is left to do is cosmetic updates; this includes things like adding in custom unit models and textures, changing event and dialogue texts, creating new 2D art, adding in Korean sounds.

If you want to play this mod before the final version is released now is the best time. Since the majority of changes from now on will be superficial, your feedback is needed on the current state of the campaign. The earlier I receive feedback the more likely I will be able to incorporate it into the final version of the mod.

Here is a list of things I am especially interested in:

- The Korean roster is quite limited compared to the Chinese (you can check this is custom battle). I do like the idea of Korean factions being somewhat the underdog, but am open to suggestions for new units.
    - Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to implement the Xiongnu hordes (a land based pirate-like faction) and the Wako Raiders aren't behaving perfectly. However, in their current state, are the pirates too oppressive or too easy to deal with?
    - Which faction has the hardest start (I suspect the Goguryeo, being sandwiched between the two Chinese factions)?
    - How do alliances between the various factions evolve? Which factions often ally with each other?
    - Any bugs, crashes?

I'd be grateful for any help you could offer!

I played a quick campaign to check everything ran smoothly. Here is a brief battle report:

I chose to play as the Goguryeo, since they begin in the North of Korea, where territories are large and towns far apart. I hoped that I would have less influence on the AI from here, as I intended to turtle and spam the end turn button. However within a few turns both the Xuantu commandery to the East and Yeonna-bu to my South declared war on me and I had to weather some moderately large stacks assaulting my capital. I noticed that Baekje's army had become stuck due to a pathfinding issue (that has been resolved) and so the Lelang commandery, free from distraction in the South could easily destroy my vassal and take my second starting province. By this point Silla and Gaya had allied and were occupying a significant portion of the South of Korea. Silla began to climb the East coast, and fairly quickly had claimed territories neighbouring the Lelang commandery. The Xuantu had now given up its attack on the Goguryeo and began to claim the lands of my softer neighbours, including that of Yeonna-bu. Finally, as the Lelang began to lose the war at its South border, it too relieved the pressure it had been putting on my capital and eventually, diminished under the might of the Silla-Gaya alliance, offered peace.

Let me know how your campaign goes! Good luck and have fun!

I uploaded the wrong file! The correct version should be up now (you will know it is correct if Sinfonia_Semplice is inside the zip file)!
    Last edited by mauiaw; April 21, 2018 at 09:48 AM.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

That campaign map looks spectacular. Well done! +REP!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

+rep

That said: Is the mod in the final form, or is this a beta? Are there any known bugs?

How many settlements are there? How many functions? Are naval battles possible? Is Japan on the map, or they have just a few regions in the Peninsula?

I have a friend that spent a lot of time in Korea (and married a Korean). I may buy him S2TW and RotS at some point (i.e. at a sale) when this mod is finished. He doesn't have much free time so I would prefer to give it to him once it's ready.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 29, 2018 at 11:52 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Hey, thanks for the support!

I would say that the mod isn't even in beta at the moment - none of the unit cards/event dialogues have been changed from vanilla yet. Still the campaign is playable and the gameplay close to its finalised. If you can stomach the dissonance of seeing so many Japanese-looking things in ancient Korea, its quite fun - I was hoping to recruit some testers about now. The mod may get its own subforum, at which point these things will be easier to coordinate.

If I remember correctly, there are 9 more settlements than vanilla ROTS, and (if you count the currently-not-doing-anything Xiongnu faction) one extra faction. There is no Japan, though maybe you can see the border of Kyushu if you sail South. Naval battles are possible, and the role of the pirate faction is played by the Japanese Wa Raiders.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Thank you.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast