Page 72 of 108 FirstFirst ... 224762636465666768697071727374757677787980818297 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2148

Thread: The catchphrase game

Default Re: The catchphrase game

Well, yeah, that is pretty obvious in the pic. Part of why I haven't guessed anything yet, because the only expressions I can think of are ones which are basically just neo-Nazi dog whistles.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Well, yeah, that is pretty obvious in the pic. Part of why I haven't guessed anything yet, because the only expressions I can think of are ones which are basically just neo-Nazi dog whistles.
    Forget those. Those Jewish features can only help you pinpoint the character. It's one of the most famous of such stereotypical Jewish villains. I've been thinking of finding and image of him from one of live-action adaptations, which were surprisingly many, as I learned when looking for the image...but that might make the issue even worse. All you want from that picture is the occupation.

But as I wrote, whole saying could be found in second image. Five words, two of them instances of the same word.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Aren't there any non-antisemitic pictures to encode your first part? I don't think I will participate in a riddle that uses antisemitic stereotypes lightly.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Aren't there any non-antisemitic pictures to encode your first part? I don't think I will participate in a riddle that uses antisemitic stereotypes lightly.
    You're overthinking it. A long time ago, someone wrote a famous novel where one of main characters was a stereotypical Jewish villain. Those features make the character recognizable as certain kind of criminal...and that's the word that the image depicts. I could use other images for the profession, but they'd be quite nondescript and vague. This one...I felt that it could click because you've heard the name in high school (unless you slept through the classes like I did) because it's used worldwide in schools to illustrate conditions of that period of time. I do not feel it's in any way anti-semitic, no more than teaching about the novel at schools is.

And if you're uncomfortable with it, just ignore it. You can get it from the second picture, the first one just points you in certain direction that's just as relevant as any picture was in last riddle.

Well, the first thought that came up with the image when you first posted it was Merchant of Venice, which seems to be 100% what you're getting at with the hints above. So that gives us "moneylender" as the first picture. But I unfortunately still don't see a phrase there.

"To lend a helping hand"?
    "A friend in need is a friend indeed"?

I don't think either of those are right, but I'm trying to come up with something that fits what I know.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Well, the first thought that came up with the image when you first posted it was Merchant of Venice, which seems to be 100% what you're getting at with the hints above. So that gives us "moneylender" as the first picture. But I unfortunately still don't see a phrase there.

"To lend a helping hand"?
    "A friend in need is a friend indeed"?

I don't think either of those are right, but I'm trying to come up with something that fits what I know.
    Not a moneylender. That's not a crime...unless you're talking about loan sharks. The novel was written close to halfway between Merchant of Venice and present day.

Things are dying around here, and not just in this thread.

So a heavy hint. The first picture is Fagin from Oliver Twist.

Been a long time since I was in Oliver, but from what I remember Fagin was a fence. So my guess would be something like "The best neighbor is a tall fence". It doesn't really use both pictures, or use them in the right order, but that's the best I got.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Been a long time since I was in Oliver, but from what I remember Fagin was a fence. So my guess would be something like "The best neighbor is a tall fence". It doesn't really use both pictures, or use them in the right order, but that's the best I got.
    Now what should I do with you. You got the meaning more or less right but...what I had in mind is actually a saying in English.

Oh what the hell...nobody is guessing anyway, so I'll take it. The actual phrase is "Good fences make good neighbors". The use of Fagin there was inspired by the same application of this phrase in one of Terry Pratchett's books.

Ah yes. I have actually heard it both ways, but for some reason the exact thing you had in mind just wasn't popping into my head. But they are indeed basically the same thing.

As to the next riddle, anyone is free to take the turn. I have been working all day already, and don't see myself being finished anytime soon. So feel free, whomever has a clever idea. If something isn't up be tomorrow, I will try to carve out a few minutes to think something up and post the relevant pics.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Well, since no one has posted yet, and since I have a few minutes while I drink my coffee, here is the next one:

| My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Mak has it. And I don't know what it is (maybe my brain just thinks in too straight of lines), but I feel like every one of mine is gone on the first guess. I will have to up the difficulty on my next one.

Anyway, the floor is Makanyane's.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I like the way you expressed "one"
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    I like the way you expressed "one"
    I thought you'd like that. I was planning on having it be more complicated, but got tired of finding the odd characters in the windows special characters panel.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Mak has it. And I don't know what it is (maybe my brain just thinks in too straight of lines), but I feel like every one of mine is gone on the first guess. I will have to up the difficulty on my next one.
    I think you had an excellent delivery here now that I compare the picture with the correct answer.

It very often comes down to whether an expression is very familiar and readily accessible in memory to one of the contestants. I don't think making it too abstract or convoluted is the way to go. I could not have gotten this without extensive research, because I was not aware of the saying at all.

This one is probably going to go the same way, if you're at all familiar with the saying it will be very obvious:

Is there any kind of hint you could give, Mak?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

That particular clock face in the first picture and the section the arrow is pointing at is relevant. The order of the pictures is also relevant.

Maybe another hint, mak?

So far, I am thinking of "hand", "six", and "sundown" or "down". But I can't think of anything to do with those individual items. A touch of help might get me further along.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources