Page 70 of 108 FirstFirst ... 204560616263646566676869707172737475767778798095 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 2148

Thread: The catchphrase game

Default Re: The catchphrase game

During my involvement with this competition, I have come to expect that if I deem something too easy, it is still hard as hell. This competition format is notoriously hard and one of the reasons I like it so much.

I have been trying to figure this one out, but no luck so far.

If you think of the first picture (top left) being two separate things it might help.

Reposting pic with big clue, because this seems to have killed thread:

I live in part of the area shown coloured in the map in 2nd pic, so therefore it could loosely be thought of as "My *******"

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Hmm "A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse"? Not sure about 3rd pic though
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Yep, that's the one.

Pic 3 is "fore" which is what golfers are meant to shout to warn people that they've just launched a ball towards them

that sequence of pics was about as literal as possible, in relation to the words in the phrase, which I thought would make it easy, apparently not so much!

over to you

Patrician Artifex

Tnx. I don't have a lot of inspiration today, so I'll continue your theme, including a phonetic element

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Is this just "Hors d'ouerves"? (or however one spells that French nonsense)
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Patrician Artifex

nope

Could you please provide a hint? I am trying hard but nothing seems to lead anywhere.

"Run its course" could fit but that is just an idiom and there is no phonetic element to it as far as I can tell.

Patrician Artifex

Just one course?

Horses for courses!

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Horses for courses!
    That's the one

Thank you! It is a bit unclear to me what the phonetic element was in that.

Here's the next one:

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Thank you! It is a bit unclear to me what the phonetic element was in that.
    four courses -> for courses

But of course. I had that as a working hypothesis too. As a hint, mine has a phonetic element too in the sense that the bottom two pictures combined sound like the actual word that I am looking for.

Patrician Artifex

Ok, I suppose there's every chance anyone reading this is going to say "how the hell did you get that" but let's give it a go anyway:

"resistance is futile"

Excellent! Muizer's got it!

Patrician Artifex