Page 69 of 108 FirstFirst ... 194459606162636465666768697071727374757677787994 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2148

Thread: The catchphrase game

Default Re: The catchphrase game

This might help out someone trying to crack this. I do not yet know what to make of it but I'll let in brew inside my brain while I take a little walk.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ht-2020-finale

I am getting very interested to learn what it could be. I've looked through all kinds of vocabulary for animals of that sort and thought about the guy igniting or blowing up something. It just refuses to come to me.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Spoiler for More hints
    The deer does not have horns/antlers. Find a specific word for such a deer.
    The second image is to be taken metaphorically/pars pro toto.
    The only thing relevant in the third image is what is being blown up.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Well, I still have no idea, but in case it is helpful for someone else, here are my thoughts for the three pictures.

1. doe, faun
    2. looking, spying, watching, seeing
    3. 2020 (that is what John Oliver is blowing up, if I remember correctly)

I don't know what to do with those elements ("A doe watching the year explode"?, "A doe sees with ...

Okay. I just figured it out. Apparently "hind" is a word for female deer. I didn't know that, but had an idea for an expression, and thought I'd check. But indeed "hind" can be used for that. So the expression is then almost certainly "Hindsight is twenty-twenty."

Is that it Iskar? Do I get all the rep?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Fascinating. A good riddle albeit it very hard. I think Kilo deserves a heap of rep for figuring that one out.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Kilo got it and has earned some well deserved rep. Maybe the riddle seems more plausible in hindsight?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Indefinitely Banned

I thought it was Do, Ri, Me so I was close.

It was a good one, Iskar. And honestly, once I started actually saying phrases out loud, it only took me a short moment to do some research and be sure. I never knew the word "hind" could be used for deer, but hey, I learned something!

Anyway, I don't really have the energy to put together a riddle right now, and tomorrow I am doing stuff with my lady (since she's a mom now, and it's mother's day). As such, if someone wants to take my turn, that is fine. If no one has by Monday morning, then I will post something then though.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Alright. Since no one has made one yet, here is the next riddle. For funsies, I tried to use almost entirely emoji style things.

| My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

I thought that this looks like another week of disturbed sleeping patterns and reduced productivity at work, but then, out of nowhere, the answer just "turned up like a bad penny".

Sept is on the ball this morning, totally turning up like a bad penny

The floor is yours.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Nice new take on the competition using emoji style! Here is a more traditional one but with a little local touch to spice things up.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As an initial hint, I would like to post the picture as I originally envisioned it but then deemed too easy (yeah, as if these are ever easy).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Not sure what exactly to do with these. I have experience climbing, and I know that sort of move is called a "bridge". That has me thinking things like "Bridging race and politics", or maybe going more generic like "Overcoming race and politics". But neither of these feel quite right to me. If one of those is correct, good on me, but I don't think they are. I just thought I'd share my initial impressions, in case they spark something for someone else.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

It has nothing to do with bridges, race, politics, or any serious matters. It is just an English-language idiom, and all three pictures indirectly represent either content words or prepositions. Articles are omitted. Very straight forward!

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    between a rock and a hard place?
    I knew the Mudpit was a dead giveaway. Good job, Maka! Your turn.

Indefinitely Banned

The Mudpit is an elementary school playground.

This is probably too easy... multi-image pic - read the pics left to right, line by line, like writing, not clockwise.