Page 56 of 108 FirstFirst ... 63146474849505152535455565758596061626364656681106 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2148

Thread: The catchphrase game

Default Re: The catchphrase game

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Ah, oui oui!
    Can you please explain your thought process in how exactly does a pair of people walking and an [or] operator followed by one translate into "once" in "I am only going to tell you once"?

If this was not a virtual environment, I would grab you by your clothing and not let you leave until you do.

Edit: I guess the people are going somewhere, so that explains the going part but not the [or].
    Edit2: when the going is in the speech bubble and not before the person telling, I understand it to follow the telling part. As in "I am (only) telling you to go once".
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; January 30, 2021 at 01:11 PM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Per aspera ad astra.
    Sorry, nowhere near with that.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Patrician Artifex

Has anyone identified where this kind of tile is used and what for?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Isn't that a sort of "Walk of Fame" ?

"The End" could refer to both a song and a movie afaik

@ Septentrionalis; this game is hard, and is very much cultural based, since phrases are usually idiomatic. Don't get mad at it, I myself I'm very bad at this game, but I still enjoy trying and if I can't, I just move on
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Isn't that a sort of "Walk of Fame" ?
    Indeed. Normally movie stars and such get their name (and a hand print?) on it. In this case "The End" takes that spot.

"The End" could refer to both a song and a movie afaik
    In this case, what marks the end of a story.

@ Septentrionalis; this game is hard, and is very much cultural based, since phrases are usually idiomatic. Don't get mad at it, I myself I'm very bad at this game, but I still enjoy trying and if I can't, I just move on
    For what it's worth, I couldn't exactly place everything from that quiz either. Basically got something like "listen carefully say one", filled in the blanks and checked if it was a phrase from a show.
    Last edited by Muizer; February 01, 2021 at 07:18 AM.

"All good things come to an end".

Apologies for the meta-discussion, but I was not angry at King A but reacting to the logic itself in a way that I think is humorous for a Nordic person (perhaps Swedes excluded). I'll try to be more culturally sensitive or at least use smileys to better convey that I am not really threatening anyone .

The end of the world? (as per stars signifying the universe)

Patrician Artifex

Nope. "End" is not part of the solution. Neither is "star".

The final frontier.

Patrician Artifex

Nope.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Can you please explain your thought process in how exactly does a pair of people walking and an [or] operator followed by one translate into "once" in "I am only going to tell you once"?

If this was not a virtual environment, I would grab you by your clothing and not let you leave until you do.

Edit: I guess the people are going somewhere, so that explains the going part but not the [or].
    Edit2: when the going is in the speech bubble and not before the person telling, I understand it to follow the telling part. As in "I am (only) telling you to go once".
    The two people walking is the poster for the movie "Once" - [or] was meant to signal that the picture could be interchanged with 1
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Patrician Artifex

The final frontier.
    P.S. The solution does contain a synonym for the word "final".

I'd say the Grand Finale.

"Famous last stand"?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    "Famous last stand"?
    ouch, so close ....

Oh. I get it now. "Famous Last Words"?

If that is wrong, I will feel like an idiot for announcing my "Ah-hah" moment
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Oh. I get it now. "Famous Last Words"?

If that is wrong, I will feel like an idiot for announcing my "Ah-hah" moment
    You got it

The end => 'last words',
    Printed on a walk of fame tile => 'famous'

Noice! Glad I didn't make myself look like an idiot by getting excited over an incorrect guess

Anyway, here is the next one:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

| My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

May the force be with you...
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

No no, Aex. May the force be with you.

But yes, you have it. The floor is yours.

EDIT: I need to spread some rep about Aex. Or if someone would be so kind as to throw a bone to the English boy on my behalf, I'd be most obliged!
    Last edited by Kilo11; February 03, 2021 at 03:58 PM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources