Page 84 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345974757677787980818283848586878889909192 LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1834

Thread: The catchphrase game

Default Re: The catchphrase game

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Hmm... I am grasping at straws here, but here's another go: "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster."
    Correct! Sadly, many who set out to do the right thing end up being swallowed up by the very injustices that they sought to destroy. A warning no less relevent today than when Nietzsche was alive.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

I would have never guessed that!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I would have never guessed that!
    The fact that the man in the 1st pic was wearing a suit and the labcoat worn by Lizard in the second pic are also subtle hints to this timeless piece of advice.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Kilo11's Avatar Philosopher
    Civitate Magistrate

Okay, so here is the next one.

Last edited by Kilo11; December 09, 2021 at 07:51 AM.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Looks interesting! Has to be the longest one so far.

Edit: and has great art in it like Kahlo, Munch, and whoever that Mona Lisa guy was.

I may be very wrong here but here goes:

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.
    - Sun Tzu

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

This one still up I see. Let me put you out of your collective misery (and put you straight back in probably)

Look upon | my works | ye Mighty | and despair!
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Civitate Magistrate

Oh, dang. Sorry guys! I totally forgot about this, and should have posted a hint days ago! That is very much my bad.

At any rate, it is now solved, as Muizer has it! And I must say, you nailed this quite thoroughly Muizer, even parsing out the images perfectly! The floor is yours, my good sir!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Patrician Artifex

I like how you did "works"

Ok, I hope the next one is guessable. It does kind of require an peculiar combination of knowledge.

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Patrician Artifex

Hint time I guess. The first pic contains a verb and a noun. For the second pic, find the name of the character.

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Patrician Moderation Mentor

Bat on a sticky wicket?

Civitate Magistrate

Well, that is Wicket. There's no confusion or trick there. And you've got a Post-It note. I don't know if the bat is relevant to it or not though

Is it possible that you're looking for the expression "sticky wicket"? I.e., a delicate and/or difficult situation.

EDIT: Ah, Abdül ninjaed me. That's what I get for opening a tab and then doing something else for 15 minutes before actually looking at said tab
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Bat on a sticky wicket?
    That's it

Thanks, it was that Star Wars character that really helped me. Next one shouldn't be too difficult, but I can't think of anything better:

Patrician Artifex

Fifth column

That's right! The depicted monarchs are (clockwise, from top left), Charles V of France, Philip V of Spain, Murad V of the Ottoman Empire and John V of Portugal.

Patrician Artifex

Didn't recognize them, but to confirm I guessed one of them had to be a "charles"

I think the following isn't too hard either.

Going down the rabbit hole?
    - Sun Tzu

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Going down the rabbit hole?
    Correct. Your turn!

- Sun Tzu