Page 68 of 108 FirstFirst ... 184358596061626364656667686970717273747576777893 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 2148

Thread: The catchphrase game

Default Re: The catchphrase game

It's not precious! Think about Gollums perception of the ring.

“It is mine, I tell you. My own. My precious. Yes, my precious.”
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; April 22, 2021 at 11:29 AM.

Okay, I am soon going to spell it out . What did the two gentlemen in the second picture just win?

Well, a trophy. Or perhaps a cup. And with Bible quotes, that makes me think of something like "Drink of my cup, and you shall have everlasting life". But that only sorta fits with the last pic (by being antithetical to it), and doesn't link Gollum in at all. I am still genuinely stumped. Enoch and Iskar should chime in here; they're the Bible boys here
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

You are so close that I can only assume that you are unfamiliar with the phrase itself if it does not present itself to you.

A final clue. What has someone done to another person in the third picture? Not in abstract fashion such as as "killed", but as a concrete action?

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    You are so close that I can only assume that you are unfamiliar with the phrase itself if it does not present itself to you.

A final clue. What has someone done to another person in the third picture? Not in abstract fashion such as as "killed", but as a concrete action?
    Probably not a New Testament Jesus quote, but given your last hint, I am gonna have to go with "My precious cup... oh no - I've run over a cyclist!"

More seriously, I am gonna wait for someone else to guess, because apparently I just have no idea what it is you have in mind here.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Haha, apparently you are not familiar with the phrase. Because you have it right there, bro. If you only could connect the dots.

Edit: I really appreciate your efforts and I did not intentionally make this too hard to annoy others.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; April 25, 2021 at 02:18 PM.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

My cup runneth over, Psalm 23:5, apparently. It seemed to be enough to search "My cup..." on the interwebz. Not sure I really deserved this, though, so I'll pass on the rep to everyone who guessed a part of it.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Yes. Yes! YES! Thank you; I am taking the liberty of repping you for getting it and Kilo for his continuing efforts and providing hints in his own speculations.

Once again I thought that it was an easy one, but it may have been a fluke that I know the phrase from an early age. It even has a Wikipedia page of its own that among other things lists some games in which it has been mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_cup_runneth_over

Don't be like one those filthy hobbitses, Iskar, but give us another nut to crack at your leisure.

EDIT: And what makes it a catchphrase is that it conveys the idea of having more than enough to many who are not really familiar with Psalms or the Bible.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; April 26, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

"Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

This one looks like a fun and challenging entry. Can you please confirm that it is a catchphrase and not something from popular music? All I can think of so far is the Beatles' "Dear prudence, why don't come you out to play?".
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; April 26, 2021 at 01:53 PM.

It is a catchphrase indeed.

EDIT: I just looked up the dictionary article on catchphrase, suddenly doubting my usage of the word, and it seems it is not a catchphrase in the strict sense, but from looking at this thread proverbs and idiomatic expressions are apparently ok as well. You're looking for one of the latter.
    Last edited by Iskar; April 26, 2021 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    My cup runneth over, Psalm 23:5
    Ahhhh. I do know that expression, having been a good Catholic boy as a kid, and learned all the stories and lessons. The first pic had me automatically adding in a second word from Gollum though (e.g. "My precious..." or "My own..."), and that derailed me. I did my best though, and for that I feel good!

As to the next one, I am gonna scratch my head for a bit.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

A deer in the headlights?

Nope, and it is not a deer, though I must admit I would not be able to tell the difference myself.

I must correct myself, it is a deer in general, though a more specific term is required, in some respect.
    Last edited by Iskar; April 27, 2021 at 08:26 AM.

Spoiler for Hint
    The first two images form a word. Try out different words for the animal.

This seems to be harder than I thought.
    Spoiler for Another Hint
    Who is the man in the last image and, more importantly, what is he blowing up?

Thanks for putting the hints in spoiler tags. I'll try without again. My brain may be today in that position where thinking becomes possible.

Bang for your buck?

That would be a very good guess for just the first and third pictures, but it ignores the middle one.

Yeah, and ignores the next two hints that I now read. And of course, it is a doe and not a buck.