Page 82 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3257727374757677787980818283848586878889909192107 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2148

Thread: The catchphrase game

Default Re: The catchphrase game

破釜沉舟 or breaking the pots and burning the boats. Turkafinwë was the genius who came up with it, but he didn't want to participate at this time (he can be such a baby sometimes ). If this is correct, feel free to rep him if you catch a glimpse.

Here is more information on the subject, anyway: https://www.tccii.com/blog/breaking-...ning-the-boats

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

That explains it. Never heard of that one.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    破釜沉舟 or breaking the pots and burning the boats. Turkafinwë was the genius who came up with it, but he didn't want to participate at this time (he can be such a baby sometimes ). If this is correct, feel free to rep him if you catch a glimpse.

Here is more information on the subject, anyway: https://www.tccii.com/blog/breaking-...ning-the-boats
    That is indeed correct! Over to Turk if he wants it, if not, Sept can put up the next one.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Sorry for the delay, guys. Here's the next one. Left to right, top to bottom.

Patrician Artifex

Evidently Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Evidently Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
    Right you are, Muizer. Good job; let me know for calibration purposes if it was way too easy.

Patrician Artifex

Right you are, Muizer. Good job; let me know for calibration purposes if it was way too easy.
    I find it's getting harder to come up with anything, so I won't fault anyone for either easy or hard as long as the outcome makes sense. Possibly the last pic made it easier than it could have been, but that's just me.

Oh goodness, do I have to come up with yet another one?!

Out in the sticks.

Patrician Artifex

Oh goodness, do I have to come up with yet another one?!

Out in the sticks.
    I'm afraid so. Sorry I couldn't come up with anything more difficult.

Don't worry! We have been running this game quite intensively and the source material is not infinite. Let's see how this one fares.

Feast for the eyes?
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Feast for the eyes?
    An excellent interpretation. It could have fit that one as well, but I had something else in mind.

Hint time. This is from the Bible, and the golf ball picture represents a figurative word for water used in some sports.

Patrician Artifex

Hint time. This is from the Bible, and the golf ball picture represents a figurative word for water used in some sports.
    I was wondering about that, but couldn't find it in connection with golf, but as an informal/slang word referring to the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    I was wondering about that, but couldn't find it in connection with golf, but as an informal/slang word referring to the sea.
    Wait, it sounds like you have the answer. Do you?

Are you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?

From Matthew 20:22
    - Sun Tzu

No, Realm, not that either unfortunately.

Patrician Artifex

Wait, it sounds like you have the answer. Do you?
    What I can tell you I do not have is inspiration for a new puzzle

Haha, we have a mutiny onboard the Catchphrase Game! And here I was, thinking that I am sailing on a happy ship.

Patrician Artifex

Haha, we have a mutiny onboard the Catchphrase Game! And here I was, thinking that I am sailing on a happy ship.
    You're not so innocent yourself, including two pics from the LOTR movies, when that is only relevant for the meaning of one