Page 20 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829304570 ... LastLast

Thread: The catchphrase game

Default Re: The catchphrase game

Yes

are you going to say it? or just dropping hints in the hope that someone else gets the next turn?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

I guess I'd better say it: "boom and bust"
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

I suppose you deserve to get this round too for being first to divine what was on makanyane's head...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ...or were you?

Patrician Artifex

All right. Be warned though, the next one isn't easy.

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Sailing orders.

Patrician Artifex

Not bad. You got one half almost right. The phrase is rather more common than that though.

Shipping order.
    I hope it's that one and not something risqué again.

Patrician Artifex

Sorry, no. It's not risque I assure you.

Look man, there is a phrase "sailing orders" and there is a phrase "shipping order", both of which are good matches for the images posted.
    Maybe next time you would choose something less ambivalent.

LOL, that's half of the point of this, to leave some ambiguous possibilities so you have to get into the clue setter's head

Knowing Muizer's past efforts; is the first pic Sails related or Sales? Or neither...

Patrician Artifex

@Mak neither! Looking for an adjective.

@Paleo I told you all it isn't easy.
    Last edited by Muizer; August 22, 2019 at 02:32 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Ok, let's try this then. Consider the following image:

This could not replace the first image I posted before. So what's the thing that makes the first image different from this one?

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Tall order?
    Correct!

Tall ships, order of the knights templar.

This should be very easy - so long as you've actually heard of the phrase...

Patrician Artifex

Shipshape and Bristol Fashion.

Tbh I only knew the shipshape bit, but it's the only idiom with shipshape and it fits the map of bristol (I presume) with the tailors on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Tall ships, order of the knights templar.
    The ships in the first image are taller than that in the second and, methinks, a basketball player might be a better hint than ships.
    Anyway, I am hoping your next post will be difficult to guess without being ambiguous.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    The ships in the first image are taller than that in the second and, methinks, a basketball player might be a better hint than ships.
    Anyway, I am hoping your next post will be difficult to guess without being ambiguous.

Perhaps you're not familiar with tall ship as a term used for a large, traditionally-rigged sailing vessel.

I'm sure you've come across the idiom 'tall order'. It's more commonly used than most phrases we go through here and certainly more so than the ones you suggested as answers. Had you known about tall ships, I think you'd have made the connection. Or am I wrong? Perhaps it's too oblique. I may have to rethink the next one I've noticed with these things there is a very thin line between ridiculously easy and practically unsolvable.
    Last edited by Muizer; August 23, 2019 at 03:41 PM.

Fair enough.