Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An ideal recruitment system

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: An ideal recruitment system

Quote Originally Posted by Gaku View Post
    I've never played SS without BGR4.
    Let's say you spend 6 turns in a castle training a unit. but it requires 7 turns. You step out for 2 seconds to deal with something (moving a unit, fixing another province, whatever). And then you come back, and have to spend another 7 full turns again training the unit. That's not gameplay - that's just tedium.
    So have I - only the first game was with vanilla SS (2011).
    There's no unit requiring 6 turns iirc. Perhaps there's 5, in the late campaign (cannons?).
    Most of units are 1-3, see discussion here (and comment, if you wish to).
    I find this solution ok both for gameplay, for roleplaying, and also for historical feeling.

Are you familiar with the situation in the US, whereby people living in poverty are better off in poverty than slightly above it? As an example, you can make $200 extra on your paycheck, and then lose $400 in benefits as a result. This is the situation in SSHIP. If your economy is slightly improved, you're punished more than the improvement, so you're better off hovering below what would otherwise be objectively better. Is this intentional?
    One necessitates the other. The AI has endless stacks, therefore the player needs an army.
    In the EU we've got many solutions dealing with the "withdrawal of support above thresholds" issues, as in the EU we give out many (to many?) checks for different occassions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    There's no unit requiring 6 turns iirc. Perhaps there's 5, in the late campaign (cannons?).
    Most of units are 1-3, see discussion here (and comment, if you wish to).
    I find this solution ok both for gameplay, for roleplaying, and also for historical feeling.

In the EU we've got many solutions dealing with the "withdrawal of support above thresholds" issues, as in the EU we give out many (to many?) checks for different occassions.
    I'm talking about the pool refill rates. Some can take 10 or more turns. And having 0 refill unless your general is in a castle, and then resetting if your general leaves for any reason, is stupid and tedious.

Well what's your solution in SSHIP? "You're making slightly more money per turn, so now there's an extra 2000 cost per turn."

I'm talking about the pool refill rates. Some can take 10 or more turns. And having 0 refill unless your general is in a castle, and then resetting if your general leaves for any reason, is stupid and tedious.

Well what's your solution in SSHIP? "You're making slightly more money per turn, so now there's an extra 2000 cost per turn."
    Ah, I've forgotten that also the pools wouldn't refill. It's to be thought out more thoroughly then.

The solution in the SSHIP is to make a few thresholds. Maybe it'll be made with more granularity in the future. But in any case, the anti-hoarding mechanism is to prevent hoarding.
    Code:
    	monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal		and Treasury > 200000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 200k treasury (50%)

console_command add_money -100000
    		historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_HUGE_TREASURY				; info for the player so that he's aware
    		set_event_counter player_treasury 53

end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    		and Treasury > 100000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 100k treasury (30%)

console_command add_money -30000

if I_EventCounter player_treasury < 53							; so that no more than 1 info a turn appears on the screen (needed becaus the monitors are consequtive)
    			historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_HUGE_TREASURY
    		end_if

set_event_counter player_treasury 52

end_monitor

and Treasury > 50000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 50k treasury (20%)

if I_EventCounter MONEY_MEDICI_FAMILY > 0
    		and I_EventCounter faction_turn_southern_european > 0

log ------ terminate monitor for SE after Medici Family
    			terminate_monitor
    		end_if

if I_EventCounter MONEY_FUGGER_FAMILY > 0
    		and I_EventCounter faction_turn_northern_european > 0

log ------ terminate monitor for NE after Fugger Family
    			terminate_monitor
    		end_if

console_command add_money -10000

if I_EventCounter player_treasury < 52
    			historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_LARGE_TREASURY
    		end_if

set_event_counter player_treasury 51

end_monitor

and Treasury > 20000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 20k treasury (20%)

if I_EventCounter MONEY_BARDI_BANK > 0
    		and I_EventCounter faction_turn_catholic > 0

log ------ terminate monitor for catholic after bardi
    			terminate_monitor
    		end_if

console_command add_money -2000

if I_EventCounter player_treasury < 51
    			historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_SIGNIFICANT_TREASURY
    		end_if

set_event_counter player_treasury 21

end_monitor

The solution in the SSHIP is to make a few thresholds. Maybe it'll be made with more granularity in the future. But in any case, the anti-hoarding mechanism is to prevent hoarding.
    20,000 isn't hoarding. That's 2 buildings' worth. That's 1 treaty.
    Last edited by Gaku; September 11, 2022 at 12:16 PM.

20,000 isn't hoarding. That's 2 buildings' worth. That's 1 treaty.
    Well, it's meant to make a difference. The player can hoard money also through founding the buildings and then just cancelling it - if it's needed. You cannot prevent it. I don't remember though if you get the full cost back or just part of it (eg. if you de-commiting it just 1 turn before the end of the building).

Well, it's meant to make a difference. The player can hoard money also through founding the buildings and then just cancelling it - if it's needed. You cannot prevent it. I don't remember though if you get the full cost back or just part of it (eg. if you de-commiting it just 1 turn before the end of the building).
    I'm pretty sure you don't get the full amount back.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

In this plan Main Native Roster must be separated into 2 sections (proffesional = Castle , militia = Urban centers) .
    Event through available units are separated by the era they must apear replacing older units.
    Event through available mercenaries are like the Varangian Guard. An event happens and that unlocks mercenaries.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

This is a good video, as usual, but I don't think we may reflect it in the Med2 engine:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12