Thread: Your favorite unit formations and strategies in different situations

Default Re: Best Formations

Play usually as France or England, my formation looks like this

----HC HC ------S S HI HI HI HI HI HI S S ------HC HC----
    -------------------HI------S--------HI-------------
    -------------------A--A----A_----A----A-------
    ------------------------G-------------------------------
    Where S = spearmen, HC = heavy cav, HI = heavy infantry, A = archers
    Don't usually use HA, but if i were using them, they'll be placed on the flanks ahead of the HCs

Most pointless sig ever

Quote Originally Posted by big_feef View Post
    Sieging formation

-------------------------AAAAAAA-AAAAAAA--------------------------
    HAHA------------------SSSSS-SSSSS-SSSSS------------------HAHA
    -------HCHC-HCHC-------HIHIHI---HIHIHI-------HCHC-HCHC-------
    ------------------GGGG-----SESE--SESE------------------------------
    Is there much benefit in having missile units in a sieging force? I haven't had much luck with them and usually leave them at the rear and out of harms so I can use them for garrison troops once I've occupied the settlement.

How do people go about formations for strong cavalry factions?

Quote Originally Posted by Hms-Clan View Post

NOTE* I`m still trying to perfect this strategy but archers seem to run on immediate sight of enemies so there farther back and I`m still testing where to place calvary.
    If your archers are safe and your sure they wont be melee'd select your archers and disable skirmish mode (click the circle with the sword in it in the bottom right hand corner) then they wont run when the enemy engages troops in front of them.

Be careful though as if your troops in front rout your archers take the follow on.

I always put cavalry on the flanks, sometimes on one flank only. once engaged in the front encircle and roll up the enemy from the flanks. They normally chain rout from the point of impact.

@ Lord snow. Do you mean missile cavalry factions like mongols/timurids and to a lesser extent turks/polish/hungary etc? if so then where you fight is probably as important as formation.

You will be hard pressed to pin them down to fight so choose your battlefield well and set up a defensive perimeter of spears and try to wear them down with missile/siege. Either way you'll likley take heavy casualties unless you are on a bridge, ford or siege defense.
    Hit them as hard as you can, as fast as you can, where its going to hurt them the most..... and preferably when theyre not looking!

big_feef's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snow View Post
    Is there much benefit in having missile units in a sieging force? I haven't had much luck with them and usually leave them at the rear and out of harms so I can use them for garrison troops once I've occupied the settlement.

How do people go about formations for strong cavalry factions?
    I use archers in siege situations to whittle the defenders before engaging them with my heavy infantry. Some archers do an excellent job at this; the longbow units being the perfect example as their shots can have a very high arc, letting them shoot over even huge walls. Other archers can still work, and crossbows and gunners are pretty much useless unless they enemy is lined up on the walls. Where archers shine is when you've already broken into the settlement and then position them them on a captured wall to plug away at the defenders... nothing is sweeter, especially in MP.

What I rarely use in siege assaults are cavalry units, except for bodyguards of course. I find them to be almost useless in assaults except for horse archers, who are a little more useful than heavy or light cavalry. Heavy infantry supported by archers are the main killers in my siege assault battles.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides

I ususally don't put my arty in the back, because enemy cavalry could easily flank me and destroy them all, especially if my infantry is engaged.I also put my billmen or other shock troops on far flanks.

Thank you for the advice loquar.

(If the main band of men isn`t behind the 1 st row just pretend it is )

I tested this out and what I do is

All Cavarly except for bodyguard------------------1st row-spearmen/bill men
    2nd row-sword or weaker spear militia
    3rd row-preferably longbowmen or archer militia
    4th row is my generals men/bodyguad and him
    5th row-artillery perferably trebeuchets

With the smiple switch on that I can encirle a enemy by moving the calavary like a door action covering all of the enemy.

And if the enemies infrantry or calvary begin to win/break I send my heavy calavary straight through and break down a good 30-100 enemies(yes on one circumstance the move of the bodyguard slaughtered a good 100 enemies in one sweep and one the victory).

I dont feel like explaining the counter flanking

I think I perfected my strategie. Thank you

And I`d still love to hear more of your strategies
    Last edited by Hms-Clan; January 08, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

big_feef's Avatar Ordinarius

Not to dampen your euphoria... but the only way to perfect your battle strategies and tactics is in MP battles against another human player. M2TW's battle AI sucks, to say the least, and doesn't react well to tricks a human player might have up their sleeve.

Now, consistently perform well (doesn't have to mean you pwn everyone) using your preferred strategies/tactics against other human players in different situations and you can then claim to have perfected it.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides

Moved to Battle Planning.

Sacc's Avatar Tiro

I like for defense

3-4 archers (who will retreat behind archers when enemy nears)
    maybe if possible some crossbow
    3-4 pike
    2 artillary

and the rest an even mixture of heavy inf/cavalry

of course this never works out and I usually go with what I have.
    Pentium C2Q 9550 OC'd at 3.4, nvidia 780i, 6gb ddr2 800 ram, EVGA 260 core216, OCZ 700 psu, Samsung 22"

Lord Gothmog's Avatar Libertus

I believe that there is no "one" better formation and that any General will need to incorporate many different formations depending on the situation.

One very effective formation against the AI or any player who likes to use the "line" formation is the echelon formation.

An echelon formation is a military formation in which members are arranged diagonally. Each member is stationed behind and to the right (a 'right echelon'), or behind and to the left ('left echelon'), of the member ahead. The name of the formation comes from the French word échelle, meaning ladder, which describes the staircase effect that this formation has when viewed from above.

Example:

1) Start deployment

------------------------------GG
    --------SSSSHISSSSHISSSSHISSSSHISSSSHISSSS
    -
    -
    --------SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    ----------HI HI----------------------HIHI
    --------------------------GG

2) Advance

-
    ---------SSS SSSS
    -------HI HI---------SSSS
    ---------------------------SSSS
    -----------------HIHI

3) Engage and flank

----HI--SSSSHISSSSHISSSSHISSSSHISSSSHISSSS
    ----HI--SSS SSSS
    ---------HI HI--------SSSS
    -------------------------------SSSS

The first line of "S" is the enemy's Spearmen and the second "echelon" line is your army. The idea here is to engage one corner of their line with overwhelming force, crushing it, while delaying contact with their main body. This is extremely effective against slow moving units as they take longer to engage.

When I attack an online player with this formation I do not start in the echelon formation, that would give away your advantage of surprise. I will attack with my leading side and only move up my supporting echelon troops. This way the other player thinks I am attacking full out and may get confused or hesitate to commit his idle troops, meaning more time for my troops doing the fighting.

This is a tactic that Alexander the Great used and should be kept in your stratagem bank for use when needed.

Another basic attack formation is the "V", although I really do not use it that much. This centers your heavy attack in one central point like the charge of Heavy Calvary. The problem is if you do not break through, you may find yourself enveloped (surrounded).

1) Advance

-
    ------------------------------HI HI HI
    -----------------------SSSS----------SSSS
    ----------------SSSS------------------------SSSS
    --------------------------------HC-HC
    ----------------------------------GG

2) Breakthrough

---------------------------------GG
    --------------------------SS----*HI*---SS
    ----------SSSSHISSSSHISS--*HI----HI*--SSHISSSSHISSSS
    ----------------------SSSS----HC--HC----SSSS
    ----------------SSSS---------------------------SSSS
    -----------------------------------GG

Some defensive formations I have used are the "U" when heavily outnumbered to protect my flanks and the "O" or "Square" I have used with pikemen to hold off the Mongolians.

The "U" formation protects both flanks, but leaves your rear open to attack. This is a good formation when you have calvary to support your troops.

The "U" formation.

------------------------------HI SSSS HI
    -----------------------SSSS--------------SSSS
    ----------------SSSS------A---A---A---A-------SSSS
    --------HC------------------------GG---------------------HC

The "O" formation.

------------------------------ SSSS
    -----------------------SSSS---------SSSS
    ----------------------S----A---------A----S
    ----------------------S---------GG--------S
    ----------------------S----A---------A----S
    -----------------------SSSS---------SSSS
    ------------------------------ SSSS

The "Square" formation.

-----------------------SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    -----------------------S--A--A--A--A--S
    -----------------------S------GG-------S
    -----------------------S---------------S
    -----------------------SSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Lord Gothmog

Libertus

HA = Horse Archer.
    X = Enemy.

Waiting...

-------XXXXXXXXXX
    ----------XXXXXXXXXXX

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA
    HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

Fighting...

--------------HA
    -------HA-------------HA
    ----HA-------------------HA
    --HA---------XXX-----------HA
    HA--------XXXXXXXXX----------HA
    --HA---------XXX------------HA
    ----HA-------------------HA
    -------HA-------------HA
    --------------HA

Totalitarian's Avatar Laetus

Boy... I haven't posted here in a while! But this article is too good to not post a comment on.

Ok, I prefer to play as England and I like to use a somewhat historical formation. I use it for both attacking and defending by placing my Longbowmen as my vanguard with a few supporting infantry, the main battle line with heavy infantry, then the rear guard with light cavalry

The Vanguard:

The first thing I do is that I take 4 units of Longbowmen and place them to the right or left flank (whichever has the highest ground) at a 35 degree angle to my main battle line. The end result is that my formation looks like a rough "V" shape. I'll have the Longbowmen place stakes in the ground and then disable their skirmish mode. The Heavy Billmen will check the outward flank of the Longbowmen (and there's a real good reason behind it).

The Main Battleline:

My main battle line will have about 4 units of Armored Swordsmen (a 5th unit could support the center) , and they would be stationed on the right side. 4units of Dismounted English Knights on the left to act as the shock troops. The 2 units of (Mounted) English Knights will be on the other flank (opposite of the Vanguard) spaced with a good distance way from the line.

The Readguard:

This is where I'll keep the General with the lighter supporting cavalry. They're the "Clean Up" crew after I've routed the enemy.

So here's the visual of my setup:

HB--LB-LB---AS-AS-AS-AS--DK-DK-DK-DK--------HC--HC
    ------------------AS
    HB--LB-LB-------------------LC--LC
    ------------------------CO

Legend:

AS= Armored Swordsmen
    DK= Dismounted English Knights
    HB= Heavy Billmen
    LB= Longbowmen
    LC= Light Cavalry (Hobilars)
    HC= Heavy Cavalry (English Knights)
    CO= Commanding Officer (General)

* Note: I play on VH/VH settings

Formation Effectivness in Battle:

Here's the deal: The enemy likes to center themselves on my Longbowmen.

The AI gets indecisive on what to do, so they try to strike in the gap between my Longbowmen and my Armored Swordsmen at an angle, so it commits my AS to battle. My DK's are still free, so they wheel around to the enemy's left flank and then proceed to stain the battlefield red. If the enemy tries to use any cavalry on my left flank, the HB's are there to check them. Or, if they don't send their cavalry, then the HB's are great for a flanking maneuver to their right side (just to hold them in place)

What you're getting here is a very fast developing envelopment maneuver, but the bulk of the encirclement is coming from your right flank. Once your HB's, AS's and DK's are committed... then let your HC units around to their rear and set them up for a series of charges. Move your LC's in position and have them hold (after all, they'll get slaughtered if your commit them to a pitched battle).

One-by-one, the enemy units will rout... use your CO and LC's to mop-up the field by collecting the prisoners.

Never lost a battle with this tactic... outnumbered or not.
    Last edited by Totalitarian; January 15, 2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Minor grammatical errors
    "I would rather be tied to the soil as another man's serf, even a poor man's, who hadn't much to live on himself, than be King of all these the dead and destroyed." - From the "Odyssey"

Totalitarian's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Your favorite unit formations and strategies in different situations

The Perfect Trap

Here's one for when you're fighting in the woods:

E= Enemy
    HI= Heavy Infantry
    HC= Heavy Cavlary
    LC= Light Cavalry
    MU= Missle Units
    G= General
    P= Peasants

-------------------------E------------------------
    ---------------------EEEEEEE---------------------
    -------------------EEEEEEEEEEE-------------------

LC-HC-HI---------------PPP-------------HI-HC-LC
    --------HI-----------------------------HI--------
    ---------HI---------------------------HI---------
    ----------HI-------------------------HI----------
    -----------HI-----------------------HI-----------
    ---MU--------------------------------------MU--
    -------------------------G-----------------------

First off, let's get the obvious stuff out of the way:

1. It's no secret that the only unit (in this setup) that cannot hide in a forest is your General/Captain.

2. Missile units are almost completely worthless in a densely forested area. So it's best to just turn off the "Fire at Will" command and keep them in a safe distance before your start the slaughter... I mean show.

Since you placed your General/Captain at a distance, the enemy might start to advance towards your general (depending on how the strength ratio is before the battle). Wait for the enemy to get almost in line with your HC's and your first set of HI's in the "V" formation. Then send out your peasants off to die by charging the enemy lines:

-------------------------E------------------------
    ---------------------EEEEEEE---------------------
    -------------------EEEEEEEEEEE-------------------
    LC-HC-HI---------------PPP-------------HI-HC-LC
    --------HI-----------------------------HI--------
    ---------HI---------------------------HI---------
    -----------HI-----------------------HI-----------
    ---MU--------------------------------------MU--
    -------------------------G-----------------------

The peasants won't take long to route, and when they do, the enemy start running down the "Funnel of Death" right after them:

LC-HC-HI---------------E---------------HI-HC-LC
    --------HI-----------EEEEEE-----------HI--------
    ---------HI-------EEEEEEEEEEE-------HI---------
    -----------HI----------PPP----------HI-----------
    ---MU-------------------------------------MU--
    ------------------------G-----------------------

Let loose your HI's and smash your opponet like a sandwich, and then place your HC and LC units in their rear:

--------------------LC-LC---------------------
    ----------------------------------------------
    ------------------HC----HC-------------------

------------------HI--E--HI----------------------
    ---------------HI--EEEEEE--HI-------------------
    ------------HI--EEEEEEEEEEE--HI----------------
    ----------------HI-HI----HI-HI-------------------
    ----------------------G-------------------------
    --MU-------------------------------------MU---
    ------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------ppp-----------------------

Charge your cavalry units if you want to, but it's pointless. The enemy will realize that they're completely enveloped and will route in no time. Since your cavalry is already in place... round up as much prisoners as you can and savor the day when it's all said and done!

If the enemy doesn't bite, then this setup will allow you to use any of the preset formations without wasting a lot of time getting into position.
    Last edited by Totalitarian; January 16, 2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Minor spelling errors
    "I would rather be tied to the soil as another man's serf, even a poor man's, who hadn't much to live on himself, than be King of all these the dead and destroyed." - From the "Odyssey"

Default Re: Your favorite unit formations and strategies in different situations

I usually build my armies around 5 units of artillery, ranging from balistas early in the game to canons later in the game. I also prefer four of five units of heavy cavalery in order to break the enemy flanks or rear. The rest of my army is a solid mix between pikemen, crossbowmen and swordmen, mainly for defensive and offensive use.

Step 1 preparations/overwhelming firepower

The cornerstone of my tactics is overwhelming firepower, mainly aimed at the commanding general (killing him makes an enemy army easier to break and rout), key units and at the weaker sections of the enemy line, in order to soften them up in order for part II of the plan, namely the main assault.

Step 2 Main Assault/Hammer and Anvil

When the enemy is dazed and confused I send my heavy troops to hold the enemy line at its place like an anvil. When that is achieved I send in my heavy cavalery against the enemy flank in order to them break and rout. When that's done, use the knights as a shockforce against the centre of the enemy army, them being the hammer

Step 3 Total breakthrough/annihilation

When the enemy suddenly breaks and start to rout that's the signal to completely annihilate the army and wipe them of the field. Concentrate on the enemy units who are already running in order to prevent aditional loss of soldiers.

Early in the game is use what I call the "Horse Buffer" fomration. You'll understand why when you see it.

-----*---*---*---*---*---*------
    ---------------------------------
    -------A---A---A---A---A--------
    ---HC---------G-------------HC---
    --------RRRR--------RRRR---------
    * = Spearmen (Levies or Sargents) in schiltrom formation
    A = Archers or CB militia NOT in skirmish mode
    HC = Heaviest cavalry available
    G = General....self explanitory
    R = Reserve infantry, mercanries or additional spear/light infantry (or heaviest available) to rush in after initial charge

Spearmen provide a buffer for the formation to absorbo the shock of the initial charge. Once engaged the enemy usually tries to encircle the spearmen, opening themselves up to point blank attack by archers or crossbowmen, preferablly corssbows as they deal more damage initially. Reserve units are called up as the engaged units start to falter and to fill holes in the lines. Any spear units not engaged break schiltrom and flank engaged enemy units. Heavy cavalary called up to one side or the other en-masse and rushes around and behind the front lines in a wide arc to take out enemy ranged units/artillery and to attack enemy infantry from the rear/mop up units that are routing.

Once the HC gets behind the front lines and starts taking out the ranged units a general rout usually ensues and the spearmen line advances in good order, in addition all reserve units are called forward and the general leads the final charge of the battle to seal the enemies coffin(s).

Works everytime.
    Last edited by TwoScoopsOfViking; January 22, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

----cossack musketeers (5 or 6)-------

Dvor or Berdiche Berdiche or Dvor

---Basilisk---Basilisk---Basilisk---Basilisk---Basilisk---

--------pike----------pike-----------pike------------pike------ General

Basilisk aim for horses and General, cossacks start veryfar from main army but retreat step by step. in case the Cavs attacks the dvors 'Horse arhcer" or Berdiche axemen go and take those out together with the general who does various things.

when the enemy is very close the basils go back a bit and the musketeers flank from a distance. The Berdic axeman and pikes assault the main enemy army.
    "He who controls the past controls the future.’ (George Orwell)

Laetus

When attacking a castle my formations are simple and the strategy is fairly similar. I always try to have the following units on hand when besieging a castle.
    2 X siege engines = S
    2 X generals = G
    2 X heavy cavalry = C
    6 X long range archery units (Gunpowder if available) = A
    4 X heavy infantry units (AP if possible) = H
    The rest with whatever is interesting (I always keep the last slots open because I never need the added strength and I like to contain costs.
    I build the following siege equipment for the ensuing dread
    8 X ladders = L
    2 X Rams = R

Initial placement of troops is as follows (keeping in mind all castles have two entrances, so attack from the right side or your troops will be doing a lot of walking for setup) (Also note all front line troops are placed right outside the range of defending towers. If they have cannon towers this will not work, you will suffer heavy losses!!)

{~}_______________________{~}
    HL | E |
    A | |
    HL | E E |
    G {_} |
    AR S | (Internal config and E |
    C {~} placement may vary) |
    HL | E |
    A | E |
    HL | E E E |
    {_}---------{_}---{_}----------{_}

HL A HL HL A HL
    S
    G AR C

After this placement, open with a bombardment of your siege engines on their gates (no need to destroy outer walls when you will be paying for them in a few minutes). Once the gates are down , some of the enemy units will move off the wall to protect the open gates. Either way, staring in the lower right hand corner and then lower left, have the heavy infantry with the ladders run (not walk) to the walls. This should pull the defending forces to their location. If not, continue and gain the upper hand. Once your troops reach the walls.

HL | |
    A | |
    HL | |
    G2 {_} |
    AR S | E (Internal config and E |
    C {~} placement may vary) |
    HL | |
    A | |
    HL | E E E E E |
    {_}-|-------{_}---{_}------|--{_}
    H H
    A HL HL A
    S
    G1 AR C

Full charge from the left with all troops and send G1 with his Cavalry into the lower gates, and G2 and his C into the right gates. This will produce one of three effects.
    1)Some of the enemy will immediately turn around and try to reinforce the right walls now in danger of ladder breach.
    2)The units will continue to reinforce the lower left.
    3)They will abandon the outer ring and run for the inner defenses.

H + |
    A | |
    H + |
    {_} G2 |
    AR S | E (Internal config and E |
    {~} C placement may vary) |
    H+ |
    A | E |
    H+ E E G1 E C E E |
    {_}-|--------{_}---{_}-----|--{_}
    H H
    A HL HL A
    S
    AR

Regardless of the effect the AI chooses, your troops will be in a position to cause maximum damage to the defending troops. As the enemy wall troops break, let your mounted forces capture them and have the heavy infantry they were engaging reinforce the other battles along the walls. During this whole exchange have your archers take up positions along the walls and rain fiery death on the defending ground units. If the enemy does manage to make it into their inner ring and lock the door behind them, setup again with the same configuration and use the rams to open the gates (the distance between the inner walls and the outer ring is too short and you will suffer heavy losses to your siege equipment from the towers). I have yet to have an enemy (AI or human) who can effectively counter this strategy without possessing superior units or a perfectly crafted castle (which I ran into last night). I always want to hear about the weaknesses in my ideas so please feel free to criticize and I shall clarify my strategy or submit to the greater strategic mind.

Goldenboy24's Avatar Foederatus

Hey everyone,

This is my formation on the open battle field defending.

a a a a a a a a

s s s s s s s s s s
    h h h h h
    h h
    lc lc
    h G hc

a= archers/missile unit
    s= spearmen
    h=heavy infantry
    lc= light cavalry
    hc= heavy cavalry
    g= general

When your archers get in range they will shoot the enemy from a far.If the enemy charges with cavalry the archers should run behing the heavy infantry shot from there. The cavalry will run into a wall of spears. During this try to sneak your light cavary and heavy infantry behind the enemy so that during hand to hand combat just attack from the flanks.Once the enemy engages in hand to hand use the heavy infantry on the right and left wings around to flank. Use the other heavy infantry as support
    It should look like this.

lc hc lc hc

h h e e e e e e e e h h
    h e e e e e e e e e e e e e e h
    s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s
    h h h
    a a a a a a a a a a

g

it seems that a lot of people are uisng the battle of carrhae from Rome: Total War

just like in that battle, i suggest you have a few regiments of light or heavy cavalry to counter-attack any light cavalry the enemy might have

IMO, it seems like the byzantines and the turks are the absolute DOMINATORS at this strategy
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

In open field, I love using a huge amount of cavalry, light or heavy, doesn't matter.

Usually start with what ever units I have (some archers and spearmen or whatever) in front of where I expect the enemy to deploy. My cavalry I put way off to either side of the small foot soldier army. Than as soon as the battle starts I try to flank the enemy as they're moving towards my archers and hit them around the same time that they charge my spearmen.

Looks something like ... this I hope.

---------------------------------------Enemy----------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    CCC-------------------------------------A-A-A--------------
    CCC-------------------------------------S-S-S--------------

C means Cavalry, A = Archers and S = Spearmen.

My general is either with the cavalry or (rarely) behind the spears and archers. I also some times put cavalry on both sides and flank the enemy to either end.

As for defending siege, I always use cavalry (when I have it) to sally forth and hit the battering ram and hopefully the catapults before they cause a breach. If I have the time I try and mess up any ladders or siege towers, though I focus on the battering ram. Actually ... I use this strategy when I don't have cavalry too ... Aside from that I try to hold the breaches, sometimes send cavalry out a side door to hit the attackers from behind and pray to god I have enough men.

What do you guys think? Retarded Strategy or brilliance?