Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 13/12/2020]

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 04/05/2019]

Apologies it has taken so long to get another update going. Writing a thesis plus a hefty decline in creativity during said period really did put a halt on the writing of this. It took me painstakingly long to write this one but I finally did it. Now let's try to keep the ball rolling shall we.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    This is a wonderful change of pace, Turkafinwe! The map, as usual, is great, and once again I must ask if this is your doing In this chapter especially I found myself referring to the map a lot because of the terms you used. But I must say I am getting more familiar with the world of middle earth (about as familiar as playing third age years ago can get me). Onward, and more of this new fellowship
    Thanks Swaeft! I am indeed experimenting with pacing (this whole AAR is an experimentation to be honest) so I'm glad you like it. Indeed, I have done some tweaking to the map to highlight the Great Roads. Good to hear you're learning more about Middle-Earth. That means I'm doing a good job here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    It sounds like Eldarion's ranger disguise is liberating for him, as he has left behind the worries of kingship and can focus instead on the needs of this small fellowship. I wonder if others will join them and what encounters they'l have on their journey.
    Thank you Alwyn! Like finishing your thesis and submitting it and you finally can leave it behind you. Although I'm done with my work, the work Eldarion leaves behind does need tending.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    As others have noted - The map is worth it all on it's own merit. A well done update. I really liked the Hobbits complaining to stop for a snack and to rest their feet. Just like in the original. A good touch.
    Thanks very much NorseThing! These hobbits really don't know what they signed up for now did they.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wandering Storyteller View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to comment on my thread.

I will do so from here
    Thanks The Wandering Storyteller! Not a problem.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 08/07/2019]

Recap
    A quick recap of the story thusfar. While Aragorn tries to break his way into Mordor, his son Eldarion has agreed to join Gandalf on the Quest to bring the Ring to Rivendell. Accompanying them are four stout hobbits who don't know the full extent of the dangers they are in. Eldarion has succesfully shaken off the responsbilities of being Prince-Regent and comfortably changed back into his Ranger manner. We pick up our story from the point of Eldarion's rendez-vous with Gandalf and the hobbits somewhere in the wilderness of the Northern Downs.

Book II, Chapter XIII: The Lone-Lands
    June 3023 T.A. In the wilderness of the Lone-Lands

The Prince-regent sped forwards after his companions, the old wizard and his four hobbits, the hint of the smile still lingering on his face. He knew not these lands well, having spend most of his childhood around the region where the Hoarwell and the Bruinen met and formed the Gwathló before he travelled the south-western parts of Eriador and Minhirriath in Gandalf's company. The young adult Eldarion had spent almost all of his time around the crossing of the Gwathló near Tharbad, rebuilding, and into Dunland, waging war. While the hills and valleys of the Northern Down were unfamiliar to him, he was still a ranger of the North and could navigate like no other human could. The course they had previously agreed upon would lead through the flatlands between the Northern Down and the Weather Hills. They would follow these hills a couple of kilometers south until almost the half-way point from which they would bound east, taking a slightly bended way towards the Last Birdge, the only bridge overspanning the Hoarwell. This bridge they needed to enter the Trollshaws in which Rivendell lay. The Last Bridge was still far away and firstly they had to cross the Lone-lands.

This country had earned its name in earnest for even animals were scarce and the largest plants were small bush thickets carrying sharp thorns on their gnarly branches. An unhospitable land that had been the theatre of war between Arthedain and Cardolan against Angmar and Rhudaur. Many crumbling hill-forts were scattered across the hills, built from a dark wood originating from the dense forests of Rhudaur. It was in one of those that Gandalf let them stay for the night seeking shelter in an open and sparse country.

Eriador

All had fallen silent and even Eldarion's jolly spirit had been dampened by the place. Gandalf had turned grim as he stood watch. The hobbits were shivering, not of cold but of fright. Nothing a good fire can't solve Eldarion thought. For this he went to Gandalf, asking if he could start a fire to raise their spirits as well as perhaps cooking a warm dinner for once. The old wizard turned his worried gaze towards the Dúnadan and then at his little friends. The sight of their sorry state softenend his heart and he granted Eldarion permission for a small fire, warranted it was concealed.

When the hobbit Sam saw what Eldarion was doing he swiftly took his frying pan from his pack and started preparing a dinner. This considerably improved the Little Folk's spirits. Eldarion had to hide his smile. What a little fire and hot food can do for a hobbit. he thought. And a man for that matter came as an afterthought when he bit in one of Sam's spicy sausages. Gandalf did not join their little party, keeping vigil, so Eldarion was left alone with his companions for the first time during their entire venture thusfar. He looked each hobbit in the eye and saw they wanted to ask him questions but were somewhat hesitant. He realised he would look a bit menacing to them: a tall dark-haired man with hard grey eyes wrapped up in a dirty cloak. If we are to travel together we should know one another and most importantly trust each other he thought. Time to make the first move

”You're cooking is remarkable Master … Gamgee is it?” A hobbit with brown hair and eyes stood up and awkwardly bowed, his legs spread far, ensuring he wouldn't fall flat on his face.

”Th.. Thank you ….” he stuttered and left an opening, not sure how to adress him. Eldarion had to do with him.

”Eldarion, my name is Eldarion. There is no royalty here in the wilderness .” the Prince-Regent put on his friendliest smile.

”You need not treat me any different than you would any other man, we're companions are we not?” They seemed to begin to soften towards him. The one he remembered to be Pippin was even courageous enough to speak.

”Do you know where we are? I don't like this place.” I looked round and saw the rotting beams overhead and the moldy patches on the walls and tried to imagine what it had been like, back when the fort had been operational. Of course Eldarion knew where they were but he could hardly tell them the truth about the place. Yes, it once was a fort built by evil men serving an even greater evil entity in their war to destroy my people hundreds of years ago Yes that would set the mood quite well, Eldarion imagined ironically.

”It is an old fort built long ago by the men of Rhudaur.” was what he eventually said. This did not fill their desire as to know where they exactly were.

”It's probably one of the safest places in the Lone-Lands even though it doesn't feel like it.” he added. That statement didn't instill much confidence in his companions. Eldarion decided to approach it from a different angle.

”Do you know why they call these the Lone-Lands?” he inquired. The hobbit shook their heads in a quizical sort of manner as if to say, No, but we'd love to know.

”Well, this area has always been thinly populated due to its rugged terrain and sparse wildlife.” and Eldarion was off. He taled of the years when Arda was dark and of Eriador before the arrival of the Númenóreans. He taled of how the Middlemen had lived in the darkness there for centuries while the Númenóreans lived in contentment on the Isle of Elenna without a thought of going back to Middle-Earth. Of course as Númenor grew prosperous they started taking interest in sailing and exploring Middle-Earth.

Númenor by Ted Nasmith

”Bathing in the Light of Aman the Men of Númenor grew more advanced than the Dark Lands of Middle-Earth. It was that Light they wanted to spread across Arda.” Eldarion took great pleasure in the telling of tales and the hobbits were more than attentive in their listening, often asking question that sidetracked the story for a while until it all flowed back together. Eldarion talked of the splendour of Númenor and its people, of their return to Middle-Earth and friendly relations with the native Middle-Men of Eriador, whom they had considered distant cousins. These interactions continued until the Doom of Númenor drew near, when the island of Elenna was sunk.

”Thus it was that Elendil formed the Kingdoms in Exile, with his sons Anárion and Isildur founding Gondor in the south and Elendil himself in the north, founding Arnor. Long did his kingdom prosper ere greed came back to divide us.” Greed had been the downfall of Númenor and greed had teared the Northern Kingdom into three parts whom even waged war amongst each other from time to time.

”The Lone-Lands had been their battleground as it was the terrain where the three kingdoms bordered each other.” The Dúnedain had long since fortified the region called the Weather Hills seeing their defensive potential and with war in Eriador increasing this fortification process only intensified. Splendid forts, havens of strength and safety, towering over the lonely stretches of land. Eldarion was about to continue his story with the coming of the Witch-King to Angmar, so immersed in his own tale he was, when Gandalf joined them.

”I think that particular part of the story will have to wait for another time don't you think.” his deep voice came. The Prince-Regent startled and looked upwards to his old mentor and apologetically grinned.

”You're quite right Gandalf.” The hobbits groaned, their reverie broken.

”But we want to know how it ends.” Merry piped.

”No buts Master Meriadoc, it's time we all get some rest. Tomorrow we're bound to have a hard day.” the wizard said. More groaning from the Little Folk but they complied and soon found themselves fast asleep without a care in the world. Content with the results Gandalf finally sat himself next to Eldarion lighting his pipe.

Downfall of Númenor by Ted Nasmith

”You did well today my boy.” he said taking the first few puffs from his pipe, blue smoke rising. Eldarion beamed. He always felt very gratified when Gandalf praised him, oh how he had missed the old man.

”I always did like to tell stories and to have such an attentive audience is a gift in its own right. Eldarion didn't know how long it had been since he had had such an undivided group of listeners. It must've been since the children had been young he decided. They do grow up so quickly he thought but when he looked at the sleeping hobbits another thought came rushing forward. Not older than a child they seem but far more intelligent yet without the loss of that childish enthusiasm. Truly a remarkable people. Eldarion felt he was growing rather fond of them.

”Make sure you return the favour. Given the chance they'll talk the ears off your head telling about their cousins thrice-removed on their mother's side. Family and heritage is everything to hobbits, the wizard chuckled, probably imagining Eldarion flabbergasted trying to follow the relations between them all. Eldarion joined the chuckling, the only sound breaking the silence apart from the snoring of the Little Folk.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 23, 2020 at 06:47 AM. Reason: minor changes/fixed spelling mistakes

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 08/07/2019]

I loved this one very much, Turk! You seem to be improving with each chapter, or maybe it's just my tastes and preferences As usual the map is really helpful and the writing flows nicely, but what I love more about this chapter is the pictures this time. Very evocative and makes my imagination run wild.

And aww....the hobbits are just adorable. Hopefully they survive this journey.

Another note: Thanks for sticking with this. Although it may have been awhile since the previous update, that is to be expected every now and then, and I'm glad you decided to stick with this with the same level of quality and attention to detail as before. Bravo!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Like the hobbits, I wanted to hear the end of the tale! It sounds like Eldarion and the hobbits are becoming friends. I hope that they and Galdalf will be sufficient to face the hazards ahead, or that they'll be joined by others. I agree with Swaeft!

Content Emeritus

I loved this one very much, Turk! You seem to be improving with each chapter, or maybe it's just my tastes and preferences As usual the map is really helpful and the writing flows nicely, but what I love more about this chapter is the pictures this time. Very evocative and makes my imagination run wild.

And aww....the hobbits are just adorable. Hopefully they survive this journey.

Another note: Thanks for sticking with this. Although it may have been awhile since the previous update, that is to be expected every now and then, and I'm glad you decided to stick with this with the same level of quality and attention to detail as before. Bravo!
    Thanks very much indeed Swaeft, really appreciate you sticking around! I wholeheartedly agree with you on the pictures, Ted Nasmith has done some amazing artwork for Tolkien's work. (I own a copy of the Silmarillion with Ted Nasmith's drawings in it, those you have seen are featured in there) I'm sure to use more of his and those of Alan Lee in upcoming chapters.

PS: I seem to have fallen in the same pit again of not writing regularly, real life can be a pain in the you know what. To earn a Kingdom is going nowhere and I will keep progressing the story, just not on regular intervals.

Like the hobbits, I wanted to hear the end of the tale! It sounds like Eldarion and the hobbits are becoming friends. I hope that they and Galdalf will be sufficient to face the hazards ahead, or that they'll be joined by others. I agree with Swaeft!
    Thanks for commenting Alwyn, as always I really appreciate it! I do hope they become friends otherwise this journey is going to get harder than it already is, maybe they'll learn the end of the story for themselves. First the Company needs to reach Rivendell, should they get there who knows what marvels happen in the Last Homely House East of the Sea. I hear they have a good record of helping those on their way to embark on a great quest.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 20/08/2019]

Map of Eriador
    Book II, Chapter XIV: The Last Bridge
    June 3023 T.A. The Last Bridge

The Company rose as soon as the first glimmering of the sun appeared on the eastern sky, the Misty Mountains looming at the horizon like a dark line. Eldarion was already awake, having done the final watch giving Gandalf a few hours of rest. The wizard was also up and seemed as energetic as ever and harried the hobbits to gather their things. One swift cold breakfast later they set out once more through the barren hills, eastbound in their usual set-up with Gandalf at the head, Eldarion at the rear and the four hobbits inbetween them.

Weather Hills by Alan Lee

Gandalf had made it clear he wanted to cross the Last Bridge before darkness fell and reach an old shelterplace that he knew of. This meant the Company had to cross more than thirty kilometers over rough terrain, with Gandalf as the only one having a horse. Thirty kilometers was not an insurmountable amount to overcome but still a hard course to follow. For a trained walker like Eldarion this was not a problem whatsoever but he feared the little hobbits wouldn't be up to it. To his surprise they made excellent ground despite the hobbits' small stature. They seemed to have found a certain cadence in their walking and their muscles had improved significantly over these couple of days of travelling. A new fire had been kindled in their hearts, one of adventure. Eldarion wondered if Gandalf had done something and never once thought that his storytelling of last night could have anything to do with it. Eldarion was still marvelling at the rapid change in behaviour of his companions when Gandalf beckoned him over.

They had now been walking for most of the day, going up and down and up and down over the endless brown hills, and the sun showed it was already past noon. Sam had already put his pack on the ground and from it he was distributing some food, mainly dried meats and fruits. Eldarion took a strip of deer, with a thank you directed at the hobbit, while he walked towards the wizard. He looked very troubled and distant.

“The time might come soon that I must leave you.” he said. Eldarion was taken by surprise by this. Gandalf saw the puzzled look on his friend's face.

“We are being followed. I thought we might shake them off by going through the Wilds but as we are nearing the Road again I can feel their presence growing." Eldarion's heart chilled. He knew of the ones Gandalf was speaking.

“But surely we are the safest if you stay?” Eldarion whispered, not wanting to alert the hobbits of this distressing news. Gandalf shook his head.

“If the Nine should come in full strength I won't be able to resist them all at once. One could slip past me and take Frodo.” the old man sighed, his face weathered with creases.

“There is only one solution. I must draw their attention and lead them away from the Company while you lead them to Rivendell.” Eldarion nodded. The wizard put a hand on Eldarion's shoulder and forced his former ward to look him in the eye.

“If I tell you to run, you run like the wind and you don't stop till you reach Elrond's house. Do you understand?” the grip on Eldarions shoulder increasing till it hurt. Eldarion showed him a reassuring smile.

“I understand.” he simply said and Gandalf released his grip and let out a relieving sigh after which he chuckled. He patted Eldarion on the back and turned towards the hobbits who were lunching away without a worry in the world.

Noon had passed and the shadows were lengthening towards the east as the Company reached the point on which they would rejoin with the Great East Road. The sun, hanging low and red on the western horizon created long looming shadows. Eldarion crested the last hill before the Road would come into view. With his hood up and mask donned the only thing you could see were one pair of grey eyes. Slowly, at a creeps pace, his head crept over the crest of the hill and spied onto the road. He did not move his head once vision had been established, only those grey eyes moved from right to left. To the right the road was empty, to the left loomed the bridge they needed to cross. All was silent but for the streaming of the Hoarwell over which the bridge spanned. As slowly as he had risen he ducked again. Once out of sight he returned to the Company to inform Gandalf.

“The Road is empty and the bridge secure.” he conveyed, removing his mask. Gandalf seemed not convinced, worries creased all over his face yet did not disagree with Eldarion. The old man must be sensing something I do not he thought.

“Time to make the crossing then.” Gandalf seemed to have made a decision. He turned towards the Little Folk.

“Now listen very carefully to me. Follow my lead, stay low, out of sight and most importantly be quiet.” He captured each hobbit with his gaze and they nodded anxiously, suddenly aware of the danger they were in. Gandalf turned to Eldarion.

“You know what to do.” he simply said before heading towards the Road. Eldarion followed suit and all remained silent while the Company took the crossing. As he neared the bridge Eldarion saw Gandalf bent over while the hobbits hurried over the crossing at the instructions of the wizard. He seemed to have something in his palm. It glistened green in the fading sunlight and Eldarion recognized it as a beryl, an Elf-Stone. How it had gotten there was a mystery to him and he turned to Gandalf to ask him. The wizard smiled and opened his mouth to answer the obvious question that was on Eldarions mind when a piercing shriek rent the air. Gandalf firmly pressed the rock in Eldarions hand after which he mounted his horse, drew his sword and started bounding west from whence the cry had come.

“RUN!” his commanding voice boomed on the wind. Eldarion did not hesitate and started running across the bridge. On the other side the four hobbits stood perplexed. Eldarion grabbed hold of two of them and beckoned them to follow him at all speed. Eldarion guided them swiftly to the dense forests on the other side of the Hoarwell, into the darkening Trollshaws.

Gandalf fights the Nazgûl on Weathertop by Ted Nasmith
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 23, 2020 at 06:54 AM. Reason: minor changes/Fixed some spelling mistakes

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 20/08/2019]

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Thanks very much indeed Swaeft, really appreciate you sticking around! I wholeheartedly agree with you on the pictures, Ted Nasmith has done some amazing artwork for Tolkien's work. (I own a copy of the Silmarillion with Ted Nasmith's drawings in it, those you have seen are featured in there) I'm sure to use more of his and those of Alan Lee in upcoming chapters.

PS: I seem to have fallen in the same pit again of not writing regularly, real life can be a pain in the you know what. To earn a Kingdom is going nowhere and I will keep progressing the story, just not on regular intervals.
    Come on man I enjoy the story! And it's cool you have a physical copy of the book, I'm a sucker for things like that (I have HALO comics )

With regards to your latest chapter, I like that you put Gandalf's words in bold. I very much love this description: "Noon had passed and the shadows were lengthening towards the east as the Company reached the point on which they would rejoin with the Great East Road. The sun, hanging low and red on the western horizon created long looming shadows."

I pray Gandalf survives...THEY SHALL NOT PASS!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

I'm enjoying this too! Like Swaeft, I'm wondering if Gandalf will make it - and whether Eldarion and his companions will encounter anyone in the dense forest.

Content Emeritus

Come on man I enjoy the story! And it's cool you have a physical copy of the book, I'm a sucker for things like that (I have HALO comics )

With regards to your latest chapter, I like that you put Gandalf's words in bold. I very much love this description: "Noon had passed and the shadows were lengthening towards the east as the Company reached the point on which they would rejoin with the Great East Road. The sun, hanging low and red on the western horizon created long looming shadows."

I pray Gandalf survives...THEY SHALL NOT PASS!
    Thanks very much Swaeft, as ever!

I'm enjoying this too! Like Swaeft, I'm wondering if Gandalf will make it - and whether Eldarion and his companions will encounter anyone in the dense forest.
    Thanks Alwyn! Let's find out in the next chapter shall we.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 12/10/2019]

Book II, Chapter XV: Flight to the Hidden Vale
    June 3023 T.A. - Trollshaws

Run, never stop running, not until you reach Elrond's House. Those had been Gandalf's words. It was just not possible, not possible. The Company had already had a rough day of walking and now they would have to traverse almost as many kilometers to reach Imladris, in the dark no less. It was just not possible. His mind raced while his legs did too. He would've stood with Gandalf to face the Nine were it not for the wizard's command to run. So he had run and was running still. Was it relief or disappointment that he felt as the dark trees flashed on either side. Disappointment that he could not have faced the enemy or relieved that he hadn't had to? Eldarion shook his head. He was not a coward and he feared no man but when he had heard that shriek his entire body had shook. It was as if that cry ordered you to throw down your arms and cower away in fear. It had taken all his strength to stay upright and keep moving. He didn't like leaving Gandalf behind to face the danger on his own but he had been entrusted with a task, to bring the hobbits safe to Rivendell.

From the back of the line he harried the hobbits to their limits. They were frightened and exhausted and to be frank he was also starting to feel the strain on his muscles. How long had they been speeding through this unknown and inhospitable land? Eldarion brought the Company to a halt and led them a couple of meters from the Road into the forest, he needed time to think what their next move would be. They couldn't keep the pace they were upholding now, it would kill them as sure as the Nazgûl would. The hobbits wanted to sit for awhile and rest their sore feet but Eldarion denied them this, knowing that if they were to cave in to their desire for rest they would never get back up.

For the first time he became aware of his surroundings since their flight. A mixture of dark oak, spruce and pine trees shielded them from the Road. The undergrowth consisted mostly of ferns and wild blue berry bushes, covering the forest ground. Mossy boulders the size of trolls were dotted all around, as if placed by giants in ancient times. Eldarion would've have enjoyed the beautiful landscape were it not for the predicament they were in.

The hobbits were all looking at him for guidance, and guidance he would have to give them soon. The early stars were shielded by the crown of the trees so he had no idea what time it was. Though it was dark it couldn't be too late, not any later than ten PM Eldarion guessed. Still he believed they should keep moving albeit at a slower pace. They had not near enough distance between them and the Foe.

“Let's get moving, it's still a long way to Rivendell.” Luckily the fear for the creatures hunting them was still fresh in their memory so none protested. Eldarion made two torches from dried grass he had gathered along their way through the Weather Hills. They wouldn't burn for too long but it was better than nothing. He gave one to Sam, who would be going at the front of the column and Eldarion took one for himself, at the back. The way to Imladris would be easy enough to follow for awhile, they just had to follow the road, as well as any danger would most likely come from the rear and Eldarion wanted to be there to greet the threat giving his little companions a chance to flee.

The Company returned to the Road, deserted and dark but for the flickering shadows produced from their makeshift torches. An atmosphere of fear followed where they went, the hobbits flinching by the mere creaking of the branches in the wind or the rustling of the undergrowth. Eldarion tried to ignore all of these noises for he feared only to hear two sounds, the clopping of hooves on cobblestone or the wailing screech of those riding the horses who brought forth the aforementioned noise.

They progressed through the somewhat flat terrain at a reasonable pace, the Company silent but for the crackling of their grass torches, and the forest surrounding them had fallen eerily silent. Tension was building up in Eldarion's chest, dread started to drip into his heart. He strained his ears when a deafening cry rent through the air. Startled Eldarion drew his sword, turned around and cried for his enemy to show himself, the hobbits cowering in fear behind him. His mind was cool and his body ready to strike. A small bird hopped from the undergrowth and cocked his head towards them in curiosity. The Company stared increduously at the tiny creature as it produced another piercing wail. From the north a muffled cry came as a response. The bird cast one last look at them before hopping happily to the bushes on the other side of the road, where it disappeared. Eldarion let go of his breath, suddenly aware he had been holding it since he had drawn his sword. He turned back round and was met by his companions' shocked faces. He shrugged producing a weak smile.

“Consider ourselves lucky it had another quarry than us.” he joked, a tiny smile tugging at the hobbits their mouths, the colour slowly returning to their drained faces in the light of the waning torches. Soon they would go out and they would be left in the dark and that was not a great prospect. They would have to make camp and brave the night. Then Eldarion heard something that really made his blood run cold, the gentle click clacking of hooves on cobblestone.

“Hide.” he hissed at the hobbits and they withdrew to the bushes to the south of the road. After leaving his companions well out of sight Eldarion drew up his hood and donned his mask and crept back towards the Road. He found himself a nice thick bush to hide in and waited for the riders to approach. The click-clacking became louder but to Eldarion's surprise it was coming from the east. Had the Nine gotten round them or had they simply prepared this ambush beforehand, herding them towards it with their attack on the bridge? Eldarion had not seen how many of the Enemy had ambushed them at the Last Bridge. Light sprang forth and Eldarion felt a comforting warmth wash over him as he saw a white rider hove into view. Still wary of any tricks he remained unmoved while the rider rode closer and closer. He reined his horse in right in front of the bush where Eldarion was hiding and dismounted.

It was a Elf and one of great stature, his golden hair flowing over his light grey cloak, a light captured behind his bright eyes. This definitely was one of Elrond's kin. Eldarion sprang from the bush and the Elf did not as much as blink at his sudden appearance. Eldarion called for the hobbits to come.

“Mae govannen.” Eldarion said in greeting to this noble and friendly face, placing his right hand on his heart.

“Mae govannen Prince of Arnor." the Elf said mimicking Eldarion's gesture. The Elf knew who he was but Eldarion didn't remember ever meeting him. Meanwhile the hobbits came rushing through the brush thicket, the light washing away their fears, and they greeted the Elf.

“I have been looking for your Company for three days now and by the look on your faces none to soon.” his clear voice comforting the soul.

“Begging your pardon but who are you?” Master Baggins asked. The Elf turned towards Frodo and showed him a smile that would reassure the most frightened child.

“Where are my manners, my name is Glorfindel and I'll be guiding you to Imladris.”
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 23, 2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: minor changes/Fixed some spelling mistakes

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 12/10/2019]

Right from the first line, your chapter hammers home the urgency of the Company's journey and their tiredness and tension as they watch for signs of their foes. (I wonder if putting speech in bold text is necessary - it's not a big issue either way). It seems that Eldarion has the right instincts to keep his companions safe, even if not every cry in the dark is a source of danger.

Content Emeritus

Right from the first line, your chapter hammers home the urgency of the Company's journey and their tiredness and tension as they watch for signs of their foes. (I wonder if putting speech in bold text is necessary - it's not a big issue either way). It seems that Eldarion has the right instincts to keep his companions safe, even if not every cry in the dark is a source of danger.
    Thanks Alwyn! Glad you keep enjoying it.

I'm glad you gave feedback concerning the bold text for speech. It was something I was experimenting with and I'm glad to see you give your opinion on it. (I use it for my RP in The Isles of Chaos Hotseat. Chapters there are much shorter so it's not so disruptive).

Content Emeritus

Book II, Chapter XVI: The Last Homely House

June 3023 T.A. - Rivendell

Night changed into day without a fuss, the hobbits got a well-earned rest. At dawn, Glorfindel woke the Company, now without fear in their hearts. The Elf still insisted on haste and caution as long as they had not crossed the borders of Imladris. Once across the river Bruinen they would be safe. Glorfindel seemed not to fear the Nazgûl for when he spoke of them he seemed confident and steadfast. When Frodo asked him why that was the Elf responded with: “I do not fear them for I see them for what they really are, mere spectres, human souls bound to Arda by dark powers, but with no power of their own.” It sounded unbelievable for the hobbits and Eldarion that someone could not fear those creatures, even Gandalf had spoken of them with a touch of fear, and it showed on their faces for Glorfindel added: “It's different for Elves than it is for the Second Kindred” he explained that Elves are bound to Arda not only by their bodies but by their fëa as well, their spirit, while humans where only bound to Arda by their hröa, their body. The fëar of humans whose body was destroyed went to the Halls of Waiting for a short time who, after Mandos' judgement, would go beyond the bounds of Arda. What that beyond was noone knew. In comparison Elves their spirit remained bound to Arda and after physical death it would dwell in the Halls of Waiting indefinitely until Mandos deemed you worthy of reembodiment if that was what you wished. Glorfindel's eyes lit up when mentioning what essentially was reincarnation for Eldarion and the hobbits, and he fell silent. Eldarion had listened as eagerly as his little companions for it was the first time he had had a conversation about death with an Elf. Of course he had learned about the Valar and the differences between Elves and Men and about the Gift of Illùvatar to Men or what some called the Curse of Men, mortality, and that what happens to Man's spirits was unknown. It was one thing to learn something from a dusty book or wise woman and another to talk with someone who clearly had experience and inside knowledge on the matter. How Glorfindel knew the things he knew, Eldarion knew not but the confidence and calmness with which he had said these things made Eldarion believe that it was all true and not some rhetoric taught to him. It was a very interesting subject but how it was relevant to Glorfindel's disposition towards the Nazgûl was pretty vague. It was Sam who caught onto it the fastest of the hobbits or perhaps his simple mind prevented him from delving any deeper into the subject of death.

“Begging your pardon, Mister Glorfindel, but what has that to do with those... things?” The Elf seemed to return to Arda from when he had fallen silent.

“Because of these factors Elves live within the physical and the spirit world simultaniously and therefore Elves see things clearly in both worlds. Since human souls are not bound to Arda they do not live in both worlds simultaniously and thus they cannot understand what the Nazgûl are. Human souls do not belong on Arda after death and the unnatural presence of them is the reason they spread that feeling of dread among mortals. Where you only see a black cloak I see the pale shrouds that are their spirits. I know they are powerless and can do me no real harm and therefore I do not fear them.” The hobbits looked at each other, probably not sure if they fully understood and to be fair nor did Eldarion. Maybe that was exactly part of the problem Glorfindel tried to explain the Prince thought. The thought saddened Eldarion's heart for he had a thrist for understanding things. There is so much we have learned and can learn from the First Kindred yet there are things we will never understand about them and vice versa.

“This does not mean I underestimate them.” he continued. “They are cunning and fear and subterfuge are their main weapons. I have seen the greatest among them and how his fearmongering was enough to destroy the Northern Kingdom.” Eldarion's head jolted, he suddenly remembered who this Elf was. This was THE Glorfindel that had led the armies of Lindon and Imladris in the Battle of Fornost in 1974 T.A. and crushed the Witch-King's army, sending him fleeing northward, essentially breaking the Iron Crown of Angmar. Moreover Glorfindel was most famed for a prophecy in which he prophecies that the Witch King will never be defeated by the hands of mortal men. It was said Glorfindel was the most powerful and oldest Elf still residing in Middle-Earth, save Círdan and Galadriel perhaps. Moreover Glorfindel had lived in Valinor, the land of the Valar, basking in the light of the Two Trees before departing for Middle-Earth. Eldarion was so overwhelmed by the flood of returning knowledge and the realisation he was walking next to a living legend that he continued his journey in complete awe and silence.

“But I have said too much already, let us talk about something else.” the Elf said cutting to a new subject, this one concerning the hobbits their lives and soon they were found laughing away at the odd shenanigans hobbits keep themselves busy with and the tense atmosphere dissipated. Although there was a light-hearted atmosphere Glorfindel still kept a good pace, still alert despite his involvement with the hobbits their conversation and he kept a firm watch of their surroundings.

The Trollshaws was a beautiful place in the daylight, the menacing aura of the night washed away by the summer sun beaming down, casting a green hue through the dense trees leaves. The air was fresh with wafts of pine resin and light to breathe in. In the company of Glorfindel Eldarion could relax more and for the first time since their flight from the Last Bridge he could enjoy being on the road again. The Elf had taken command of the party from the moment they had met and Eldarion didn't mind. He was surprised by that, had it been another man or elf things would not have gone so smoothly but Glorfindel had a reassuring, steadfast and natural ability to lead that it was difficult to imagine that things would go any different. He didn't need to impose himself or fight for control like two men who struggled for power would. It felt natural to fall in with the friendly Elf. Eldarion reflected that it was similar with Gandalf. The old man exudes authority and hidden power and the elf was no different.

Noon came and went and the Company had long since left the Road in search for the river Bruinen and the bounderies of Imladris. During lunch Glorfindel called Eldarion to help him navigate their route and to assess their current position and together they quickly established that they were close. If their calculations were correct they would reach Imladris well before nightfall. The hobbits soon found out that the Trollshaws consisted of many steep hills and valleys from which they had been mostly protected by the Road which followed a relative flat course. Glorfindel did not slow down much and soon the hobbits were puffing and breathing heavily from the constant going up and down. They would remember it as a harsh journey and when they were exhausted and their bare feet worn down and as the sun was setting they finally heard a most gratifiying sound, the sound of flowing water. Eldarion stopped them from rushing forward. Often it is that the most dangerous part of the journey is when the end is near. If he had to lay an ambush for his enemies he would do it here and these Ringwraiths were humans too or at least had been. It was a question how much was left of their humanity. Glorfindel shared Eldarion's concern. He would go into the clearing first making sure all was well, after which he would signal for Eldarion to come with the four hobbits. Glorfindel led his horse, Asfaloth by hand and walked steadily towards the crossing point. No sound but the gentle rippling of the river could be heard. Glorfindel put one foot in the water and whispererd something in Asfaloth's ear after which the horse crossed the river, disappearing around a corner while Glorfindel turned his face towards the Company and nodded. Eldarion motioned the hobbits to go before him and run straight towards Glorfindel and the crossing. The moment the hobbits entered the clearing and sped towards the river a defeaning cry rent the air. Five black riders sprang forth from the treeline, screaming in their inhuman voices. Eldarion spurred his comrades on and Glorfindel had already drawn his sword as they passed him to jump into the Bruinen. The water was icy cold, its source springing forth high in the Misty Moutains, and the shock of it nearly halted their advance. Meanwhile the Elf was holding off the Nazgûl, who it seemed were frightened of the water, for they did not come near it giving Glorfindel time to fight them one on one. Seeing that the Company was on the other side of the Bruinen Glorfindel started his retreat across and the Nazgûl did not pursue, their horses balking and refusing to enter the water. Glorfindel never ceased eyecontact during his retreat and seemed to be staring at the emptiness of one particular Ringwraith's hood. It was this one that marched his horse a little bit forward and started speaking in an icy voice.

“Give us the Halfling, Glorfindel!” he demanded. Glorfindel's warm laughter rang as a stark comparison to the wraith's voice.

“If you want him, you'll have to come and get him Witch but by Ulmo you'll not cross this river!” Glorfindel cried readying himself.

The Nazgûl drew their swords and forced their reluctant horses into the Bruinen. As soon as their black hooves touched the water the Company heard a rumbling roar coming from further upstream. The Ringwraiths' heads turned towards the noise but it was too late to flee the river. Before them a enrmous wave emerged in the form of galloping horses. It bashed into the Nazgûl and they were swept downstream, the cries of their horses as they were crushed on the river bottom filling the air. Glorfindel sheathed his sword and approached the Company.

“You are safe now.” he smiled.

“Come.” A little slope led the Company further into the lands of Imladris and just round the corner they found the valley in which Rivendell lay. In the distance they could see the secret holdout of Elrond Halfelven in all its glory and they felt content, a sense of safety and merriment overwhelming them. Glorfindel saw their weary smiles and their awe as they first laid eyes on the valley of Rivendell.

“Let me welcome you to the Last Homely House east of the Sea.” he said after which they began their descent into the valley
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 23, 2020 at 08:09 AM. Reason: minor changes/Fixed some spelling mistakes

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 10/11/2019]

Eldarion's awe-struck reaction to the realisation that this is 'the' Glorfindel is particularly good. Eldarion's feeling of reassurance at the pleasant surroundings makes an effective contrast to the tension of the times when our heroes are fleeing terrifying enemies - even though he sensibly remains wary (the line about the most dangerous part of a journey is nicely done).

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 10/11/2019]

Eldarion's awe-struck reaction to the realisation that this is 'the' Glorfindel is particularly good. Eldarion's feeling of reassurance at the pleasant surroundings makes an effective contrast to the tension of the times when our heroes are fleeing terrifying enemies - even though he sensibly remains wary (the line about the most dangerous part of a journey is nicely done).
    As always, many thanks Alwyn! I figured it would be realistic to have Eldarion marvel at the thought he met someone who's basically a living legend.
    Glad you liked it.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 24/11/2019]

Book II, Chapter XVII: The Fate of the Ring

July 3023 T.A. - Imladris

It took a while for the council to take form for Elrond would not start without Gandalf, who had not been present when the rest of the Company had arrived. This gave Eldarion and the hobbits time to explore Rivendell. The hobbits met up with a relative of theirs living in Imladris, Bilbo Baggins, and spent many hours with the old hobbit poring over maps and telling of their adventures. This left Eldarion mostly to his own devices and after gaining Elrond's permission to roam the surroundings of Imladris, so long he did not cross its borders, he did so on his own. For a couple of days he explored the mountainous region to the north and the deepest parts of the valley in the south before returning to Elrond's house. Rivendell wasn't a large settlement. You could best compare it to a large estate with Elrond's House as its centerpoint with some Elves living in the Last Homely House itself while others preferred to live in solitude in the valley. All in all Imladris' population was fairly small and mostly inhabited by Ñoldor Elves. Imladris was, in Elrond's words, a refuge and a place of learning and knowledge and peace, a last stronghold where the Elder Days still lived in Middle Earth.

Once returned from his roamings Eldarion started exploring Elrond's home itself: the Hall of Fire where on special occassions Elves could be found singing and reciting poetry and reminiscing the past, admiring the many tapestries depicting deeds from ancient past that were hung all around but the most important discovery the Prince made was Elrond's library, containing priceless scrolls and tomes on subjects like the history of Elves and Man going back to the First Age. While Eldarion waited for Gandalf to return he would spent countless hours in this library poring over old tomes, further extending his knowledge. A week flew by and the old wizard found his former ward fully immersed in the book he was studying.

“Elrond said I would find you here, said you hardly leave the place save for dinner.” Gandalf said slightly amused when Eldarion's head jerked up in surprise. He hadn't heard anyone enter but when he saw who it was he smiled. He made sure to remember on which page he was and closed the book before putting it back on the shelf.

“Has noone ever taught you it's rude to barge in unannounced? And when did you arrive anyway” Eldarion joked. Gandalf laughed heartily.

“A couple of hours ago.” the wizard replied. Eldarion could see Gandalf hadn't even had time to dust off his clothes yet. Eldarion wanted to ask him about the Nazgûl, how he had fared against them, where he had been but Gandalf, seeing the questions in the man's eyes, halted him raising his hand.

“Those things will have to be discussed some other time. For now Elrond wants to begin the Council. We assemble when the midday bell rings. I'll now be paying a visit to our little friends and then prepare myself for what is to come.” and with that Gandalf walked away leaving the Prince alone. Eldarion assessed that the bell wouldn't ring for at least two hours. He rejoined with his book and resumed his reading. It might be the last chance he had to do so.

Eldarion entered a room with the seats all facing Elrond who sat opposite of a couple of chairs in the form of a crescent moon. Of those already present Eldarion knew three of the four, Elrond, Glorfindel and Gandalf. There was one Elf, sitting on Elrond's right that he didn't know. During Eldarion's round of greetings Elrond introduced him as Erestor, an important advisor to Elrond. He seated himself next to Gandalf. Then the hobbits arrived and with them was the old Bilbo accompanying them. They too greeted all those present, though with less familiarity than Eldarion had save for Bilbo. Once they were seated Elrond rose and openend the Council.

“Strangers, friends and kin alike, welcome to this most important meeting. Each and everyone of you is here today because you are in some way bound to this errand. Now I would like to give Gandalf a chance to explain the situation a bit clearer for those that don't know the entire story.” Elrond said taking back his seat while the wizard rose leaning on his staff. Gandalf cleared his throat.

“It all began a long time ago with a hobbit of the Shire.” Gandalf began. Gandalf recited all that had befallen during the Quest for Erebor, the involvment of Bilbo Baggins and the finding of a magic ring in a cavern deep in the Misty Mountains.

“I let the matter slide and did not think this was any ring of importance though I did press caution into the young Bilbo, not to use it.” he said glancing at the old hobbit who merely shrugged.

He then spoke of the many years that passed that the ring lay, unknown to the world, in the Shire at Bag End. In the year of Aragorn's coronation as king of Arnor new information was brought by the Rohirrim. After the fall of Saruman, Rohan had taken command of Orthanc and had found precious documents concerning the Ring, amongst other things, and sent them North as a gift to the new king. These documents told that the Ring had been lost near the Gladden Fields. With new information Gandalf had resumed his travels in search for answers. He taled of his travels around Middle-Earth to find the creature called Gollum, the previous owner of the ring. Gandalf started to connect Bilbo's ring to the One Ring or he thought at least that it had to be investigated.

“So I found Gollum and after a long, uncomfortable conversation I finally got some answers.” Gollum confirmed that he had found the Ring in the Great River, near the Gladden Fields where he and his kin had dwelt.

“But I still did not know if this was the One.” For this information he went to Gondor where he searched for any account concerning the Ring. And he did find one such account. Now he had enough information to test if Bilbo's ring was indeed the One.

“And as it turned out it was.” Gandalf seated himself and Elrond beckoned Frodo to come forward and show them all the Ring. The hobbit stepped forward and took the ring from his pocket and placed it on a small table in the middle of the room. It was the same simple golden band Eldarion had seen in his home at Fornost and again he marvelled at the fact that something that looked so harmless could carry so much evil. They were all just staring at the small ring while Frodo returned to his seat next to Bilbo who put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. Erestor rose and turned his back to the ring, facing Elrond.

“What are we to do with this my Lord?” he asked. Eldarion rose as well.

“Destroy it if we can. Gandalf has impressed on me that if we are to get rid of Sauron entirely we need to destroy his source of power. The One Ring.” Eldarion said.

“However we don't know how to accomplish this and that's why we set out to take counsel with Elrond.” Elrond beckoned Eldarion to sit.

“Please sit.” Elrond said, turning to Erestor. “He is right Erestor it is the only real way.” Erestor seemed not happy with this.

“But Imladris and everything the Elves have worked for these thousands of years?” Erestor said.

“Will as surely disappear when Sauron remains in power.” Elrond replied, it being clear this had been a discussion the two had had before but Eldarion did not understand what they were so concerned about. How could the destruction of the One Ring have negative repurcussions for the Elves. Erestor turned from Elrond to Glorfindel.

“Could we perhaps not send it to the West?” he asked. Glorfindel's face stood unsure, a thing Eldarion had never thought possible.

“That would be an option if we knew for certain the ship would be allowed to enter Aman with the Ring, if it would survive the journey.” Glorfindel said. It was clear to Eldarion the Elves were discussing asking the aid of the Valar to deal with Sauron but weren't sure if they would intervene. Meanwhile Gandalf had fallen surprisingly silent, his face not showing any emotion. Eldarion was not sure what Gandalf thought of the idea. Eldarion rose again, interrupting the Elves their discussion.

“Grandfather, do you know a way to destroy it?” Eldarion asked. The Elves fell silent and Erestor returned to his seat.

“There is one way I'm positive about.” Elrond said.

“The ring must be thrust in the fires of Mount Doom. It is the place it was created so it must hold the key in destroying it. I can't think of any other way.” Erestor rose once more.

“I would call it folly and madness were it not for the wisdom Elrond possesses.” Erestor exclaimed. “To enter the Dark Lords domain is to walk wide-eyed to your own death.” Eldarion's voice rose in anger.

“My father and my countrymen are fighting Sauron's hordes at this very moment! You would call that folly or madness? I don't see how hiding and running away will help!”

“You are proud son of Aragorn and so is your father and you and your people are brave but that does not mean you will succeed.” Erestor replied.

“Besides the Elves have other things to consider than the fate of Men alone.” he added. Eldarion opened his mouth but Elrond decided to intercede.

“Both of you be quiet and seat yourselves.” which both did reluctantly. Elrond continued.

“I agree with Eldarion that the Ring should be destroyed. Sauron is a problem of Middle-Earth and thus by extension so is the Ring. It is we who must deal with it as best as we can. An attempt to destroy it must be taken, however perilous it will be.” A long silence fell in the room, the hobbits looking unsure to each other, Elrond and Gandalf each staring in the distance, seemingly lost in their own thoughts. Erestor looked angry and reverted his gaze from Eldarion while Glorfindel had a painful expression on his face. They all knew what needed to be done.

“I will carry it.” Eldarion heard himself say. The room seemed to be as surprised as he was and the silence was tense. Did he just say that? He looked at Gandalf and saw fear and uncertainty in the old man's eyes. Eldarion turned his gaze towards Elrond and a strange aura of confidence and pride took hold of him.

“Isildur is responsible for the survival of the Ring and by my lineage to him I do acknowledge my part in his failure to destroy it yet, I am not only of the blood of Númenor but also of that of the Eldar. Therefore I lay my claim on this thing, not to keep it nor to use it but to destroy it by throwing it in the fires of the Orodruin and by doing so clear Isildur's failure and shame on my family. I swear this to Eru! May he take me should I fail.” This was the oath Eldarion swore. Elrond and Gandalf made brief eyecontact and Eldarion thought he saw the faintest of nods before Elrond addressed him. They knew there was no going back now.

“So be it grandson. Erestor was right when he said you were both proud and brave and I must warn you for both of them but we will discuss the journey in the coming days.” Elrond kept his gaze on Eldarion for a couple of seconds, the silence setting in for a brief moment.

"This concludes our meeting. I'm sure we're all anxious to join the banquet after such a trying time. Come.” Elrond rose an so did everyone else. As the people left to join the prepared banquet Eldarion could hear Pippin say under his breath.

“I thought it would never end! I'm starving.” to which Merry nodded in agreement.

Eldarion chuckled. Not even the end of the world could make these little fellows forget about food.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 23, 2020 at 08:19 AM. Reason: minor changes/fixed spelling mistakes

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 24/11/2019]

I'm enjoying the way that Middle-earth events are working out differently - Aragorn has been crowned and Saruman has fallen, even before someone steps up in a council at Rivendell, volunteering to carry a terrible burden into danger. It's a nice detail that a descendent of Isildur is setting out to redeem the failure of his ancestor.
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 30, 2019 at 08:32 AM.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

So I've been absent a while, but man, three chapters to come back to? What a treat! I'm a teeny bit lost as to the goings-on at the moment, but I think I'll get it in due time. Fantastic writing as usual, always drawing the reader in, and quality descriptions as always I can really see all these being the pre LOTR movies timeline

Content Emeritus

I'm enjoying the way that Middle-earth events are working out differently - Aragorn has been crowned and Saruman has fallen, even before someone steps up in a council at Rivendell, volunteering to carry a terrible burden into danger. It's a nice detail that a descendent of Isildur is setting out to redeem the failure of his ancestor.
    Thanks Alwyn! I'm trying to explain the things that have happened in my campaign and have them make sense in the Middle-Earth universe, like I see it.

So I've been absent a while, but man, three chapters to come back to? What a treat! I'm a teeny bit lost as to the goings-on at the moment, but I think I'll get it in due time. Fantastic writing as usual, always drawing the reader in, and quality descriptions as always I can really see all these being the pre LOTR movies timeline
    Great to see you again Swaeft and thank you as ever! I do hope you will find out what is happening as you read it otherwise it must mean I have done something terribly wrong.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; December 16, 2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: *t

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 10/12/2019]

Book II, Chapter XVIII: The Way to Mordor
    August 3023 T.A. - Imladris

The following weeks Elrond informed himself on the coming and goings in his realm and their surroundings and it seemed there was no sign of the Enemy. It would be safe to start their journey and Eldarion wanted it to begin as soon as possible. He had to admit he had become anxious, waiting for the search parties to return. A private conversation he had had with Elrond and Gandalf had not done anything to alleviate the tension that had grown in him. They had both impressed the danger of, not the journey necessarily, but of the Ring itself. Elrond had repeated his warning that he should beware his pride and bravery for the Ring would try to exploit it, as it would exploit every emotion or ambition to bring about Eldarion's downfall. Gandalf said that it would test him like no other thing had ever tested him in life. They however had refrained from telling him of the dangers of the oath he had sworn. It would only make things worse they had concluded and they both held their silence.

While Elrond's people were gathering information a new meeting was arranged to establish who would be accompanying the Prince on his quest and what the best route to the Black Land would be. Eldarion was not surprised when Elrond told him he could not spare anyone to send on this quest and was delighted and relieved to hear when Gandalf told him he would be coming with him.

“You didn't think I'd let you face this alone now did you my boy?” he said. Eldarion bowed his head slightly, showing his gratitude.

“nor would these fellows.” Gandalf said pointing at someone behind him. Eldarion turned and saw the four hobbits standing there. Now he was surprised. He had thought the hobbits would be going home seeing as their part of the story was over.

“We would like to accompany you, if you will have us.” Frodo said with the other three nodding their enthusiastic agreement. Eldarion was not sure how to feel about this. He had grown fond of the hobbits and they were good company but on this perilous journey he feared they would only be a burden, being small and in need of protection. Eldarion turned his gaze to Gandalf who just stood there with an innocent smile on his face but it didn't fool him. Surely the wizard had something to do with this, but what purpose these little fellows would bear Eldarion knew not. He decided to make one last effort to dissuade them.

“Are you sure you want to go on this dangerous course while you could go back to the safety and comfort of the Shire?” he asked having lowered himself on one knee to put their faces on the same level. It was Sam who replied.

“We've talked long on this and although we miss our home, we feel our job is not done yet, if you get what I mean.” Eldarion saw the determination in each hobbit.

“Then gladly I accept your company.” the Prince said, a genuine smile on his face. Now that it was decided he felt a strange joy fall over him. They barely could contain their enthusiasm and soon were chatting among themselves while Gandalf put a hand on Eldarion's shoulder and nodded in approval. Elrond called for silence.

“Thus it is decided. I do wish to state something to this Company.” Everyone turned their gaze towards Elrond.

“None save the Ringbearer has to go further than they wish and may walk away from the Quest as they will. The bearer and the bearer alone has the obligation to try and destroy the Ring by throwing it in the fires of Doom.” Elrond left the silence hanging for a couple of seconds to make sure the message was imprinted in everyone's mind.

“Now let's discuss the way you'll be taking.” This was, as Eldarion found out, a point of great contention. Eldarion suggested they take the road directly south following the Misty Mountains on the western side till the Gap of Rohan and then traverse through Rohan towards Gondor and cross the Anduin there and enter Mordor through the Black Gate. Gandalf however supported another route entirely. Gandalf wanted to cross the Misty Mountains and travel south through the depopulated regions of the Vale of Anduin on the eastern side of the mountain range towards Lothlorién. How to go further from there he had not decided yet and said they had to assess the situation once that moment presented itself. The argument kept going back and forth, each citing pro's and con's for each route. Ultimately Eldarion suggested that if they were to cross the Misty Mountains, and with the goal to reach Lothlorien, why not by going through Khazad-Dûm. The hobbits seemed to like that idea. Choosing between passing through a inhabited underground kingdom instead of traversing a cold high mountain pass was not difficult. Elrond was very much against this and Gandalf seemed not too happy about it either. Elrond pressed once more the importance of the secrecy of the quest. It was clear the Elves only trusted their own kind and asked for extreme caution with everyone else and with Dwarves especially. Another point was brought up by Gandalf who said that they couldn't be sure the Dwarves of Khazad-Dûm would even grant them passage and if they did what the price would be. Longbeards they may be, the most trustworthy of all Dwarven Clans, they were still Dwarves and every service provided by them would need to be payed one way or another. Eldarion had not thought of that and started reexaming his option and the more he talked to Gandalf and Elrond about the option he came to agree they shouldn't take the road under the mountains. That still left the Company with two options: the western and eastern road. Eldarion, Merry and Pippin were in favour of the western, easier route while Frodo and Sam supported Gandalf in the more difficult eastern road. A silence descended on the room as neither side had anything more to say, Elrond did not intervene and the silence continued to press on each and one of their minds. An annoyed thought popped up in Eldarion's mind, I'm the bearer of the Ring, I should decide where we go! As soon as it hit him he realised how ridiculous that sounded. Gandalf was much older and wiser in these matters, why would he fight his wisdom in the first place he thought. There was merit in Gandalf's more difficult but safer way. He had followed Gandalf for so many years and never had the wizard failed to deliver. Why would he not trust his mentor now? This was just silly Eldarion concluded and he broke the silence. The Prince pledged his support for Gandalf's route and guidance. They would go over the Misty Mountains and take the High Pass, into the Vale of Anduin.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 23, 2020 at 08:25 AM. Reason: minor changes/fixed spelling mistakes