Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 13/12/2020]

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 05/08/2018]

Book I, Epilogue
    Spring 3006 TA: Northern Downs, Fornost Erain

People from all over Middle-Earth had come to see the coronation ceremony. Clanlord Gor and Herald Grain from the Ered Luin, Cirdan from Mithlond, and of course Elrond Halfelven and the twin sons Elladan en Elrohir had come from Imladris. Legolas from Mirkwood had come and even representatives of the collective of free cities under the Bree-land were present. From Rohan, Théoden had sent his nephew Éomer to attend and from Gondor, against his father's wishes the Steward Denehor, Faramir had come to greet the new King of Arnor. King Dáin had sent Glóin as his representative and with him had come Brand, grandson of Bard the Bowman, on behalf of his father King Bain of Dale. The King himself was too old to travel such a distance so he had send his son to pay his respects. Bilbo Baggins was there also congratulating his long time friend, the Dúnadan. Galadriel and Celeborn had come from Lorien to attend, as well as all the lords of the new Dúnedain kingdom of the North. Thousands of common Elves, Men and Dwarves and even Hobbits had also come to the great city of Fornost Erain. Truly a mighty sight to behold.

They were all gathered in- and outside the rebuilt House of Kings in Fornost Erain (meaning Northern Fortress of the Kings), the new capital of the reinstated Kingdom of Arnor. Aragorn had just received the sceptre of Annúminas, the artifact which gave the King of Arnor his right to rule, from Gandalf, who had coronated him in front of the jubilant crowd. The old wizard knew how long his friend had waited for this moment and he was very proud of him. He had emerged victorious against an ancient foe that had once crushed his ancestors. The Kingdom of Arnor was to be the beacon of hope for all the Free People's of Middle-Earth in their fight against Sauron. Aragorn knew he had won a great symbolic victory in the north but the real threat lay in the east. There the real battle for Middle-Earth would be fought and it would still take a couple of years before the North could challenge Sauron in force.

While the festivities commenced all around the king, he himself was contemplating about how he had won his crown. His troops had just secured Rhûdaur and they had begun their march on Carn Dûm. They had not left Rhûdaur proper when they saw Dúnedain banners to the north. It had been Araphor's force marching south again. Battered and weary they returned home but not slumping. They had marched upright in an orderly fashion, and they had had a steady tread in their steps. It was not by mere coincidence that Araphor had appeared in front of the King's forces. Araphor had been looking for him, to present him a gift. Aragorn had been furious with him when first he saw him but that all changed when Araphor handed over a bag. The rogue general had fallen to one knee adressing Aragorn, being the very first, as King rather than Chieftain. These were the words he had said.

“Majesty, I bring to you the ending of our suffering in the north.”

Aragorn had been dumbstruck when he had openend the bag. He had been greeted with the dead eyes of a man. Agandaûr, Araphor had said, slain by himself and Melion. Araphor had begged for forgiveness for his disobedience and said he would accept any punishment the king would deem fit to impose on him. Aragorn had done no such thing. He had hailed him and his men as the saviours of the North, heroes in their own right. The soldiers of Araphor had been given a pension that would last for the rest of their lives and were relieved from military duty if they so wished and retire to lands granted to them. Most of the older men took this opportunity while a lot of the young still wanted to serve their kingdom in military service. Though young they were, veteran they had become through their hardfought three year campaign. They had faced hardships most greybeards had not ever seen in their entire life.

The defeat of Agandaûr had spread quickly through the remaining occupied territories of Angmar. Many castles and towns were promptly abandoned and the Dúnedain could reclaim their ancient kingdom with ease. Only in the mountains of Angmar the Orcs still congregated. They were however leaderless and divided and were easy pickings for the Dwarves of Ered Luin. As by the treaty, Carn Dûm, Litash and Shedûn were rightfully theirs. After much disputing they reluctantly relinquished control over Ost Gelon. Thus the borders of the North were drawn anew.

Dark green = Northern Dúnedain

Now they were here, three years after the defeat of Angmar and he was king. His son Eldarion had received a crown befitting the heir to the Arnorian throne. Arwen, his wife was queen of Arnor and it was she who had given Gandalf the sceptre of Annúminas, the symbol of the Arnorian kingship. Elrond had brought it with him from Imladris together with the Elendilmir. The Elendilmir was of course a remake because the original had been lost in the Disaster of the Gladden Fields and the death of Isildur. With both artifacts in his possession he could officially lay claim to all of Arnor.

Of course he did not control the old borders of Arnor yet, though that would soon change. The Bree-landers had conquered a lot of territory in Cardolan from the Wildmen all the way across the Gwathló their furthest point south, Lond Angren. Now this loose band of free cities all pledged their allegiance to the King of Arnor as well as the mayor of the Shire. Aragorn decreed that the Shire should always have it's own autonomy and that no Man should enter there without the permission of the Hobbits. Bree would become the personal possession of the Crown. A royal procession was to be held where the royal family would travel across all of Arnor. This would strengthen their hold on the newly aquired regions, affirming their rule. Bringing Eldarion on this procession would be a risky move in the regions where large Wildmen populations were still present. He was known throughout Eriador as the Bane of the Wildmen which did not make him popular amongst them. Although he regretted his decision made at Dun Larach, it didn't change the way people saw him as well as his open display of disdain for them did not help to alleviate the tensions.

Dark green = Northern Dúnedain
    Light green = Bree-land

Now there had not been a King in Eriador for some 2000 years, taxes and bureacracy were a strange thing to its wide lands and it would take years before the administration would be on point. Not only administrative reforms were necessary, it was important that the military changed as well. The Dúnedain used to just train all the men to fight with bow and sword. Ambushes and subterfuge had been the key to succes for the Dúnedain in the North for centuries. No longer. Arnor would have professional standing armies funded by the nobles and the crown. These were one of the many military reforms that had to be implemented. War tactics had to change due to the change in troops. Where the Dúnedain had many Rangers and units specialized at hiding, Arnor would specialize in heavy infantry with a strong archer basis and heavy cavalry and artillery backing them up. New drills needed to be implemented and this they took mostly from old manuscripts from Númenor and tactics employed by Gondor. Arnor needed to become the greatest military power in Middle-Earth if it was to overcome the might of Mordor.

Admistrative changes came in the form of the feudal system with the rise of a new class, the nobility. The kingdom was divided into Chiefdoms (equivalent of Barons) at the lowest level, High Chiefdoms (equivalent of Counts) second to lowest (controlling a number of chiefdoms), Lordships (equivalent to Dukes) second to highest (controlling a number of High Chiefdoms) and then the Kingship itself. Minor nobles were granted chiefdoms and high chiefdoms, while the high nobility were granted the Lordships. Chieftains had obligations towards their respective High Chieftains and they had in their turn obligations to their respective Lord as the Lord had in his turn obligations towards the King. This was to be the new hierarchy that would ensure taxes and troops were provided to the crown on a regular basis. The Kingdom was also divided into three economic territories namely: Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhudaur. These territories were divided into different Lordships and so forth down the line. Each territory was assigned a governor who would always be appointed by the King. This was a purely economic division and the Governor had no direct power over the Lords of his territory.

One body of government was installed in Fornost called the Hûd Hirrim Fervain or in the common tongue Assembly of Northern Lords, shortly called the Hûd. This body consisted of the High nobles of the realm with some minor nobles with strategic positions in the Kingdom. The Mayor of Bree and the Shire as well as its Thain (military leader of the Shire) would always have a seat in the Hûd as well as the three Governors of Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhûdaur. This Hûd voted on laws, wars, diplomacy, external and internal trade policies and many more issues that arise from ruling a vast kingdom. The King would be seated at the head of the Hûd and would always have the right to veto. This was to be the new type of government in the Northern Kingdom of the Dúnedain. Arnor was to become the most advanced power in all of Middle-Earth.

Now the most important characters to receive Lordships and chiefdoms were the following.

• Halbarad was granted the Lordship of Northern Arthedain, ranging from Bar-i-Donyonach to the Bay of Forochel in the north and Angsûl in the east. (on map in yellow)
    • Hirvegil was granted the Lordship of Western Arthedain, ranging from Annúminas to Ost Gelon in the west and Fuirost to the north (on map in blue)
    • Araphor was granted the Lordship of Rhudaur, ranging from Ost Sûl east to Dol Brin (on map in orange)
    • Melion was granted the Lordship of the Angle (This is an odd one because it is a small patch of land but due to its large Dúnedain population King Elessar made it a Lordship) (on map pointed with white arrow)
    • Eldarion was granted the Lordship of Dúnedain-Cardolan, ranging in the east from Tharbad to Metraith in the west and to Argond in the south. (on map in red)
    • Nirven was granted the Lordship of Wildmen-Cardolan, ranging in the northwest from Dol Vorn to the south to Suduri. (on map in green)
    • Damrod was granted the Chiefdom of the Weather Hills (on map pointed with black arrow)

Lond Daer and Lond Angren were given the Free-city status as important trading hubs. They were also the furthest away from the capital and thus needed some amount of autonomy to keep them loyal to the kingdom. Another issue was that it was completely inhabited by a Wildmen populace thus to keep the peace they were granted this special status.

Fornost Erain and the Bree-land were the personal lands of the Crown, with Fornost as the administrative capital and Bree as the trade capital.

A High Court was also established in Fornost to deal with crime and enforced by a newly formed King's Constables (some kind of police force). The different Lordships had their own Lower Courts to deal with more local and less serious issues to alleviate the pressure on the High Court.

All these changes were to be implemented over the coming years. Once implemented they could start aiding the south of Middle-Earth in their struggle against Sauron.

There was still so much to do and the hard times were only beginning. Still today he would enjoy being king and rejoice in the fact at least a part of his dreams had come true.

Now to save the other part. The King thought.

Here ends the first book of To earn a Kingdom. Join me in the second one where our beloved heroes take on Mordor and where they try to save Middle-Earth from total destruction. It might take a couple of weeks before the next book starts. I'd like to thank everyone who has supported me throughout this endeavor so far and hope you continue in your support. Thank you and I hope to see you next time!

Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 18, 2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Change of Layout/minor changes/fixing spelling mistakes

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 05/08/2018]

This is an impressive epilogue for your first book! It's good that events in the first book are reflected here, such as the way that Eldarion is seen by the Wildmen because of what happened at Dun Larach. I enjoyed reading about the implications of the defeat of Angmar for northern nations as well as individuals. On to Mordor, and the salvation of Middle-Earth (I hope!).

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Truly well done, and a fitting end to the first book. We'll be here for the second one, no worries. One thing I noticed, and hopefully will be present, is the future relations between Eldarion and the wildmen population of the kingdom. Surely he has much to atone for if they are to support, nay, tolerate him. Well done, will rep as soon as I am able.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

An excellent and fitting end to a great AAR.
    You did write it very very fast which is impressive.
    On to middle earth then. It's not often that I like fantasy and when I do, it's very very good.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    This is an impressive epilogue for your first book! It's good that events in the first book are reflected here, such as the way that Eldarion is seen by the Wildmen because of what happened at Dun Larach. I enjoyed reading about the implications of the defeat of Angmar for northern nations as well as individuals. On to Mordor, and the salvation of Middle-Earth (I hope!).
    Thanks very much Alwyn! The war against Angmar is indeed over and all of the North rejoices. As you say on to Mordor and the salvation of Middle-Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    Truly well done, and a fitting end to the first book. We'll be here for the second one, no worries. One thing I noticed, and hopefully will be present, is the future relations between Eldarion and the wildmen population of the kingdom. Surely he has much to atone for if they are to support, nay, tolerate him. Well done, will rep as soon as I am able.
    And many thanks to you Darkan! I won't spoil too much about the next one but I will tell you this. The relations between Eldarion and the Wildmen will be present in the second book. The atrocities committed at Dun Larach will live in the memories of Wildmen for many generations to come.

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    An excellent and fitting end to a great AAR.
    You did write it very very fast which is impressive.
    On to middle earth then. It's not often that I like fantasy and when I do, it's very very good.
    And last but not least thanks to you, mad orc, for your support! You make me blush with such praise.

To end it, again, thanks to everyone who supported me and commented in this thread, not only to encourage me but also to give me advice, you guys are amazing and without you the tale would never have been the same. So thanks all of you!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Very nice ending there, I like how you wrapped it all up. It's good to see the loyal men of the Dunedain being rewarded for their service with lands and titles. I'm enjoying the trivia and how you slot in information that people who know little about the middle earth universe will easily figure out. Can't wait for book two, have a well deserved break!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Very nice ending there, I like how you wrapped it all up. It's good to see the loyal men of the Dunedain being rewarded for their service with lands and titles. I'm enjoying the trivia and how you slot in information that people who know little about the middle earth universe will easily figure out. Can't wait for book two, have a well deserved break!
    Thank you very much Swaeft! Loyalty, bravery and resourcefulness will always be rewarded in Arnor (with Aragorn as king that is, the rest of the future is unknown). I started to realise that not everyone might know as much about Middle-Earth as I do, especially about the forgotten kingdom of Arnor save but for its name. Shame I started realising it near the end of the story. Oops .

Thanks for the support!

Content Emeritus

Book II: Prologue

The Kingdom of Arnor had been flourishing for almost 20 years since the fall of Angmar. The Dúnedain and the other folk of Arnor had multiplied considerably and the once sparsely populated region of Eriador experienced a huge boom in its population. Villages and towns soon became overcrowded and this resulted in the rapid increasing of development of the Kingdom. These former towns grew to large hubs of civilisation in the North of Middle-Earth. Dúnedain culture however did not spread very far from its core regions.

Core regions of Dúnedain culture

In Minhiriath the Wildmen culture persisted as people from other descent were not welcome to settle as well as no Dúnedain would want to settle in a region so hostile towards them. Also the Dúnedain only married among themselves having superior qualities relative to those of “lesser” descent. They would not risk their longevity by intermingling with the local populace of Eriador, least of all with the Wildmen. Therefore the kingdom was internally divided by its different ethnic groups, those of Dúnedain, Middlemen (Breelanders and the men of Rhudaur) and Wildmen respectively. This divide resulted in each region recruiting its garrison from its local population. In the cities of Lond Daer and Lond Angren, entire armies of native Wildmen were recruited to protect the important trade hubs south of the Gwathló river. These armies were always under the command of a Dúnedain officer and his small retinue, showing the hierarchy and importance of ethnicity in the Kingdom. These cities lay on the frontier with the Confederation of Alcfud, a nation that was a shadow of its former self. This confederation once consisted of all the Enedwaithian tribes ranging in the north from the Baranduin (Brandywine river) all the way south to the Ered Nimrais (White mountains). With the rise of Arnor they had been thrown out of Minhiriath completely and from the former famous Númenórean port cities of Lond Daer and Lond Angren, south of the Gwathló (the Greyflood in Westron). War with them was not something King Elessar had in mind for he had no interest in making himself or his kingdom a foe to Man, no matter his ancestry.

Confederation of Alcfud before rise of Arnor

Confederation of Alcfud after rise of Arnor

As the Kingdom's population grew so did the royal family grow. King Elessar had become a grandfather multiple times and even great-grandfather, though his great-grandchildren were still very young at the time and play no major role in this story. Even though he only had one child, Eldarion had produced four children with his wife Elenien. At the end of the war with Angmar we left with the birth of his secondborn, a son named Cuven. In the following years Elenien birthed two more children, in 3005 another son called Arnion (which can be translated to royal or kingly son) and in 3007 a daughter called Digaethel. The firstborn, Aglardis, had bloomed into a beautiful women whose image was much like that of her mother. Long of stature, graceful and slim of waist. Lovely grey eyes which looked kindly upon the world and long locks of black hair that she usually wore in a braid. She had married a young Dúnadan named Iorlas and had produced three children with him, two girls and a boy. Baby Cuven had grown into a strong willed man. Dark of hair, grey of eye and with long legs, he was the spitting image of his grandfather Aragorn but was more of mind like his father. Eldarion had sent Cuven north, at the young age of six, to become the apprentice of Halbarad for that had been the tradition among the Dúnedain even before the reinstating of the Northern Kingdom, and Eldarion wanted to keep this tradition alive. From him Cuven learned much of war and tactics and developed a thrist for battle as well as all the skills a ranger needed in their many travels through the north of Arthedain. Halbarad taught the boy how to scout, hunt, read tracks and often took him far away from home to hunt the odd Orc raiding party. In essence he taught Cuven all that there was to know about the old lifestyle of the Dúnedain. Arnion however was different though he looked a great deal like his father yet he was more calm and more inclined to use words rather than his sword and was more tolerant towards the Wildmen. You could say he was more of mind like his grandfather Aragorn. Therefore Eldarion had sent him to Hirvegil to become his apprentice. Hirvegil would hone his skills in diplomacy as well as teach him some sense for battle which the boy seemed to lack. His education mostly took place within the city of Annúminas itself where he spent countless hours reading books and ancient texts in the great library Hirvegil had built when first he had come to rule Annúminas. Hirvegil prided himself how he had transformed a broken city into the greatest bastion of knowledge in the North, save Rivendell and Mithlond. Hirvegil taught Arnion of course the basic principles of ranger life but he furthered his education by teaching him about politics, governance, poetry, taxation, diplomacy and many other things a prince of the realm should need to know. Hirvegil basically taught him everything he knew about the new life the Dúnedain were leading. Because of this enormous difference in personality and further estrangements because of the differing ways of education, Cuven and Arnion didn't really get along that well, the one almost always opposing the other in arguments. The youngest, Digaethel, was an unruly fifteen-year-old living in the castle of Fornost trying her best to skip her studies and causing as much mayhem as she could, as any fifteen-year-old who thinks everyone has forgotten about would do.

Not only the direct royal family had grown, Halbarad of the North (who was a distant relative of Aragorn as well as he was married to Aragorn's cousin, the daughter of the daughter of Aragorn's grandfather Arador) his family had expanded considerably with his two sons and daughters all birthing four children each. The most important of these children were Arfandil, son of Nirven and Celephinndir, son of Damrod. A great love existed between the two brothers and therefore Arfandil was tutored by Damrod and Celephinndir by Nirven to further strengthen this familial bond. They could not compete with men like Halbarad, their father, or Hirvegil or Araphor in terms of knowledge and even though the brothers were young (only in their 40's) they had fought in the war with Angmar and thus had learned some things along the way concerning war, tactics and army organisation.

Feats of grandeur were also achieved in this period of relative peace. This time in history, later known to historians as the Blooming of Arnor, began with the rebuilding of Fornost and the House of Kings, progressed with the restoration of the Great bridge of Tharbad as well as the city itself and reached its pinnacle with the cleansing of the Barrow-Downs. In ancient times when the Witch-King had ruled Angmar and had waged war against Arnor, he had sent malevolent spirits to the Barrow-Downs. This was a place most sacred to Arnor, this was the place were the crypts of Arnor's royalty resided. Corrupted by the barrow-wights the crypts had been abandoned by the Dúnedain and had lived only in stories of the Breelanders meant to frighten children. Until the year 3018 that is. Aragorn, with the help of Gandalf the Grey, threw open its pits and had cast out the evil within. Thus the last remnant of Angmar's evil was cast out of the North.

Yet everything was not going as well as one might've hoped. In the early years of this restoration period, King Elessar and his administration had to put alot of energy into pacifying the Wildmen and Rhudaur territories. The Wildmen of Minhiriath had been openly hostile at the prospect of the King's son becoming their ruler as Lord of Cardolan. To alleviate tensions in his fledgeling kingdom King Elessar had split Cardolan into two Lordships. One with the predominantly Dúnedain populated regions put under the rule of Eldarion, Prince and Ranger-Captain of Arnor and the predominantly Wildmen populated regions under the rule of the more tolerant Nirven. This was an arrangement they could live with, for now at least. As for the Rhudaur territories a much harsher and directer approach had been employed. This was done because many of the men of Rhudaur had fought with Angmar against the Rangers of the North. The reason this strategy could be employed for Rhudaur and not for Minhiriath was the close proximity of the Dúnedain core regions to Rhudaur. Minhiriath was simply too far away to enforce its rule through martial strength. For years Dúnedain armies had occupied major settlements in the region to enforce Arnorian law and solidify its rule, sometimes with brute force. It wasn't until the year 3021 T.A when these armies finally retreated from Rhudaur which had more to do with necessity rather than any other reason. All armies were needed for the war against Mordor.

While the other Lords had a relative easy time developing their realm Araphor's time as Lord of Rhudaur consisted of rioting, a malcontent population and hard work trying to hold it all together. He began to believe the King had not rewarded him with a Lordship but rather had punished him by giving him the most unruly of provinces in Arnor. In the early years of his rule Araphor believed the Lordship of Rhudaur had been a curse in disguise. Luckily for him Melion, who was like a son to him, had helped him immensely with the governing of his territory. Melion himself did not have much work as Lord of the Angle. The place needed little governing as it was a small patch of land populated only by Dúnedain, in the middle of the Kingdom. Thus Melion had had much time left to help Araphor with his troubled provinces and together they had, over the years, restored some order in the region. Still a great divide had emerged within his small realm. The Loyalists (who where the smaller of the two) and the Dissidents. Men from both parties were recruited into the army as noone escaped conscription, though many tried as the King's Constables came to collect the young men of Rhudaur. Every able body was recruited to fight in the war with Mordor.

To be able to fight his war Arnor needed a way to bring their armies to the south. Thus in the year 3015 T.A, King Elessar ordered the construction of a grand fleet. For this he needed wood so he granted the lumber companies permission to fell trees in Minhiriath which caused a massive uproar in the region. In ages past Minhiriath had suffered massive deforestation at the hands of the Númenóreans and now their descendants would again chop down their trees for their fleets. Riots and protests arose all over Wildmen-Cardolan and the Wildmen leaders came up with a list of demands. King Elessar had to search for his timber somewhere else and they demanded that he leave the forests of Minhiriath alone. These were demands that he could not accept so the King travelled to Súduri, a prominent city in Wildmen-Cardolan to discuss terms with the chiefs there. After a couple days of discussing they had reached an agreement. King Elessar would downsize his fleet significantly and create an agency that would ensure the protection of Minhiriath's woods as well as regrowing that which had been felled. Now of course the agreement between the King and the chieftains was not the end of it. These issues had to be brought before the Hûd, the Assembly of Northern Lords. The agreement to which the Wildmen would agree to however caused outrage with some of the Lords within the Hûd. The leader of the party of those opposed to the agreement was the King's son, Eldarion, stating that “they should not be bullied around by some Wildmen who cannot adapt to change and interfered with business they should have no say in.” As well as saying “the Wildmen should remember their place in Arnorian society, below that of their Dúnedain rulers”. Chief among his party were Damrod and Cuven, Eldarion's eldest son. They believed that the King was giving too much concessions to the Wildmen. At the end of a fierce speech, Cuven had asked the Lords of the Hûd who ruled who exactly in this Kingdom. The jibe of the young prince was a bold one as it questioned the authority of the Hûd and more importantly that of the King. Most of the Lords were shocked at such a statement, including Eldarion. It was one thing to discuss on how a kingdom should be ruled but never were you to question the authority of ones King, this he made very clear to his firstborn son after they had left the meeting. Others, who opposed Eldarion's party in this matter, were led by Hirvegil and backed by many High nobles such as Araphor, Nirven and Arnion, Eldarion's second son. They argued that the Wildmen were a part of Arnorian society and the King should listen and serve all his subjects not just those of Númenórean descent. Of the great lords of the realm Halbarad was the only to not align himself with any party in this matter and stayed silent for most of the discussion. He agreed on many points with Eldarion about ruling the Kingdom but not in this. Though he did think the Dúnedain should be the first and formost citizens within the realm he did not believe the Men of other descent should be treated this poorly by their ruling class. Yet he did think the demands were a bit too much but with a bit of adjustments they maybe could've found a middle-ground. After several days of arguing, King Elessar had put the agreement to a vote. It had been accepted by a significant amount, much to Eldarions anger. The Wildmen had won this day.

The reduced fleet was completed in the year 3021 T.A and its purpose was to carry the Arnorians south, to the land of Mordor. The armies of Arnor however wouldn't be able to land on Gondorian soil, for the Steward Denethor II did not allow it. Unification of the two Dúnedain realms in any way was not to be allowed as long as Denethor ruled Gondor. That had been very clear in the talks with the Southern Line. Multiple emissaries had been sent to Gondor to discuss a joint fight against Sauron, yet Denthor would want nothing of it. Aragorn had wanted to forge a strong relation with his kin in the south but Denethor was too stubborn to even consider a meager military alliance between the two. Many nobles within Gondor had been disgruntled by the Steward's decision. There were many who would love to embrace the return of a king from the line of Elendil albeit from the branch of Isildur. They would have welcomed their brothers with open arms and merge their armies together to fight against Sauron. Alas by the foolishness of one this would not happen.

Aragorn also knew they would never be able to defeat Sauron without destroying the One Ring, Isildur's Bane. Over the years he had tried to find any sign of this artifact but to no avail. He did get some information regarding it from the Rohirrim. After the death of Saruman a few years prior, Isengard had been destroyed and the Kingdom of Rohan had occupied the tower of Orthanc. Inside they had found countless documents of research regarding the Ring. In this chest they had also found the original Elendilmir among other Arnorian artifacts as well as the Palantír of Orthanc. This chest they had brought to Fornost as a gift. King Theoden had truly shown himself a true friend to Arnor, to the annoyance of Denethor. He was of mind that these things should have come to Gondor. Aragorn had in his youth proven himself a true friend to the Rohirrim and now Théoden had returned him the favour. The documents were examined by both Aragorn and Gandalf. They stated that the Ring was rumoured to have been lost during the Disaster of the Gladden Fields where Isildur had died. Of course Saruman had gone looking for it and had found the real Elendilmir but not the Ring. This led Gandalf to investigate something he had left untouched for many a year. Bilbo's magic ring. Could this ring be the One Ring? Gandalf travelled far and wide to find any trace of the creature Gollum. After many years of searching he had finally found the abysmal fiend. After a long interrogation, which was very time consuming and wearying, Gandalf's suspicions were somewhat confirmed. Amidst many curses and spittle flying from his mouth through his clenched teeth, Gollum told Gandalf he had found the Ring in the Anduin river. What the ring did to Gollum must've meant it was one of the Great Rings but if it was the One, Gandalf couldn't say for sure. Therefore he travelled to Gondor to look at the annals of the last person to have had the ring before Gollum, Isildur. In the dark vaults of Minas Tirith he learned, from the accounts of the long deceased man, that Sauron's Ring had markings upon the band of the Ring which he stated was “a secret now that only fire could tell”. This would be the final test once he got back to the North.

While Gandalf journeyed back north, Aragorn encamped outside the port of Tharbad awaiting the arrival of the rest of his forces, ready to embark on his perilous journey to Mordor. There would be no further delays and soon they would be ready to sail south. Arnor's army was 22,000 men strong, its soldiers hailing from all over Eriador. Dúnedain, Breelander, Rhudaurian and Wildmen were all united under the stars and sceptre of Arnor ready to take the fight to Sauron. It wouldn't be long before the Armada set sail.

To Mordor and the salvation of Middle-Earth!

Author's note
    Thanks Alwyn for the inspiration on the last sentence and the general feel of this campaign against Mordor!

Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 18, 2020 at 10:55 AM. Reason: minor changes/fixed some spelling mistakes

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 08/09/2018]

I...I...I can see the pictures!!! I can SEE!!! Oh lord I don't know what you did but I can see all the pictures now. Had a great time revisiting the previous updates and looking through em. Very nice. I particularly loved the treaty of Thorin's Halls...did you make that one?

And yay book 2 has started! This seems like a sort of census update too, with the family trees and status updates and all, but by god are they amazing. Did you make these pictures yourself? The family tree photos look great! It is heartening to see Arnor rising stronger and perhaps one day to reclaim what is theirs. The external troubles seem to have been dealt with, now the internal troubles remain. It's good to see lively debate in the Hud (Housing and Urban Development lmao?) as long as it does not turn into irrational behaviour and extremism. It seems that civility and logic has won this debate, but Eldarion's faction looks likely to trouble Aragorn further in the future. Elitism will always be a problem and I hope that the Numenoreans can overcome this sense of entitlement. Perhaps the middle-class Breelanders can help bridge the gap between the wildmen and the Numenoreans?

Such a shame that Denethor is too close minded to welcome back his brothers from the north, but time can do that to a man and his lineage. The lore you have woven into the various paragraphs also help immensely for someone who is not so familiar with the Kingdom of Arnor.

I do hope you are sufficiently prepared for the fight against Mordor. A really enjoyable update with wonderful pictures, you've really outdone yourself this time. Bravo!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 08/09/2018]

I agree with Swaeft, book 2 has begun in fine style, with lovely family trees and maps, tensions left over from the previous warfare for the northern Dunedain realm, a new generation growing up (I hope that we'll see more of Cuven, Arnion and Digaethel. I'm wondering what kind of adults all three of them will become) and a major problem, the stubbornness of a stiff-necked Steward. I'm enjoying the way that you show us the development of the whole northern Dunedain kingdom, the external threats and challenges, the lives of resentiful lords and excited teenagers, as well as glimpses of the search for the One Ring. (Thanks for the kind comment - you deserve the credit for that line, as I was only reflecting back the rousing end of the first book.)
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 16, 2018 at 02:29 AM.

Content Emeritus

I...I...I can see the pictures!!! I can SEE!!! Oh lord I don't know what you did but I can see all the pictures now. Had a great time revisiting the previous updates and looking through em. Very nice. I particularly loved the treaty of Thorin's Halls...did you make that one?

And yay book 2 has started! This seems like a sort of census update too, with the family trees and status updates and all, but by god are they amazing. Did you make these pictures yourself? The family tree photos look great! It is heartening to see Arnor rising stronger and perhaps one day to reclaim what is theirs. The external troubles seem to have been dealt with, now the internal troubles remain. It's good to see lively debate in the Hud (Housing and Urban Development lmao?) as long as it does not turn into irrational behaviour and extremism. It seems that civility and logic has won this debate, but Eldarion's faction looks likely to trouble Aragorn further in the future. Elitism will always be a problem and I hope that the Numenoreans can overcome this sense of entitlement. Perhaps the middle-class Breelanders can help bridge the gap between the wildmen and the Numenoreans?

Such a shame that Denethor is too close minded to welcome back his brothers from the north, but time can do that to a man and his lineage. The lore you have woven into the various paragraphs also help immensely for someone who is not so familiar with the Kingdom of Arnor.

I do hope you are sufficiently prepared for the fight against Mordor. A really enjoyable update with wonderful pictures, you've really outdone yourself this time. Bravo!
    Hahahaha good to hear you can see the pictures and yes I did make most of the pictures myself, like the Treaty and the family trees. Superiority and elitism will always be a part of the world and no less in Middle-Earth as well as extremism. Yes Eldarion and Aragorn stand on opposite ends on some topics but this doesn't sour their relations like it does with Cuven and Arnion, as Eldarion respects his father and his decisions even though he disagrees with them. The Bree-landers could perhaps bridge the gap although they are few in number and have an important economic role in the Kingdom, being the crossroads of the Great North-South and East-West road, as well as there is no love between the Wildmen and the Breelanders whom they(the Breelanders that is), had conquered the Wildmen territories before the rise of Arnor. Only time will tell if the Dúnedain can overcome this problem.

Mordor better be prepared for the might of Arnor!

Thanks very much for your kind words Swaeft!

I agree with Swaeft, book 2 has begun in fine style, with lovely family trees and maps, tensions left over from the previous warfare for the northern Dunedain realm, a new generation growing up (I hope that we'll see more of Cuven, Arnion and Digaethel. I'm wondering what kind of adults all three of them will become) and a major problem, the stubbornness of a stiff-necked Steward. I'm enjoying the way that you show us the development of the whole northern Dunedain kingdom, the external threats and challenges, the lives of resentiful lords and excited teenagers, as well as glimpses of the search for the One Ring. (Thanks for the kind comment - you deserve the credit for that line, as I was only reflecting back the rousing end of the first book.)
    Many thanks Alwyn! Don't worry we'll see much of the new generation, meaning Cuven, Arnion, Digaethel, Celephinndir and Arfandil. (Aglardis will also appear but she is a bit between the old and new gen characters having appeared a couple of times in the previous book) I scrapped a lot of the other children from Halbarad's extensive family tree as to reduce the amount of characters I would have to report on. I already have many adding the old gen characters to the pile. I'm still figuring out how I'm going to manage so many characters although I have a rough idea already. The One Ring is also one of those difficult parts to incorporate into the story, how to deal with it. I'll figure something out in the end, I hope.

In Dutch (yeah we speak Dutch in Belgium, damn those frenchies ) we have a saying, ere wie ere toekomt, which translates to, Honour to whom deserves it, and I give it to you Alwyn. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; October 01, 2018 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Clarifying a statement, thanks for pointing it out Swaeft

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Wow I must say I am amazed with the work that you have done with the photos. What application do you use, if you don't mind me asking? Must have taken a lot of time and effort to make, which I admire. They really look great, can't stop emphasizing that! And for the Breelanders...with great money comes great responsibility...nah who am I kidding, though I didn't know that they were conquered by the wildmen before. That certainly makes things harder. Good to hear that Eldarion respects his father, wouldn't want a father-son divide now...that would be a pain in the ass to write about...

We are prepared for the might of Arnor...it is you who should fear us. What? Oh sorry, what I meant to say was, yes, I do hope Mordor is ready for the onslaught they are about to face from Turkafinwe's armies

Content Emeritus

Wow I must say I am amazed with the work that you have done with the photos. What application do you use, if you don't mind me asking? Must have taken a lot of time and effort to make, which I admire. They really look great, can't stop emphasizing that! And for the Breelanders...with great money comes great responsibility...nah who am I kidding, though I didn't know that they were conquered by the wildmen before. That certainly makes things harder. Good to hear that Eldarion respects his father, wouldn't want a father-son divide now...that would be a pain in the ass to write about...

We are prepared for the might of Arnor...it is you who should fear us. What? Oh sorry, what I meant to say was, yes, I do hope Mordor is ready for the onslaught they are about to face from Turkafinwe's armies
    I use a program called paint.net. The treaty especially took me some time with finding the right background to the right lettertype and such but seeing them praised so much makes it worthwhile. Sorry if my statement was a bit all over the place. What I wanted to say was that it was in fact the Breelanders who had conquered the Wildmen territories not the other way around, sorry for the confusion and have adjusted it forthwith. Anyway they don't like each other that's all we need to know really. And if I ever develop a character with daddy issues I sure know where to look for inspiration but one story with father-son issues is enough for this forum I fancy.

Are you now? Hehehehe perhaps we shall see a little bit of Swaeft appear in the dark and dank lands of Mordor. Who knows.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Ah don't worry, I'm a newb when it comes to middle earth lore so you don't need to apologize to me at least Trust me, the pictures were well worth the wait.

Oooh...that's interesting...I shall have to begin my journey at once...

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 19/10/2018]

Book II, Chapter I: The King goes South
    Spring 3022 T.A, Tharbad Port

Aragorn was overseeing the embarking of his troops with the commanders of the forces that would also be embarking the fleet at Tharbad. Those present were, Damrod the Fiery with newly trained Dúnedain from the Weather Hills, Melion the Kind also with new recruits from the rich lands of the Angle and Araphor the Saviour of the North with grimfaced men from the high- and lowlands of Rhudaur and of course King Elessar, Aragorn, with the experienced Rangers from the old days and some fresh-faced elite companies from Fornost. All in all not even half of the forces that would sail south. Others would join the fleet on their way following the Gwathló to the sea. They would all rendez-vous at the port of Lond Angren and from their begin the real journey.

The men of Rhudaur's arrival at Tharbad had been met with dirty glances from the Dúnedain forces that accompanied the king. Among Aragorn's men were those that had fought in the Angmarim war in the lands of Rhudaur and that resentment had not died in the last 20 years. Both had seperate camps, happy to mind their own business. The men of Rhudaur knew many of the Dúnedain didn't like them or even outright hated them. They were mostly equiped with huge pikes or long sturdy bows. A couple regiments, probably notable chiefs or noblemen, were equiped with a sword and large studded wooden shield. All wore the same brown leather armour with the swordsmen and archers also wearing chainmail underneath. Cavalry they did not have of their own so that role was given to the Cardolani and Dúnedain. Araphor's force was leaning towards 2500 men. He had brought more men than any of the other Lords present at Tharbad. Still the Rhudaurians were at a disadvantage. The two other Lords and the King himself had brought pure Dúnedain forces and together they outnumbered his men significantly. Thus a tension remained between the two groups but not one that was ready to unfold into a clash of arms. They were happy to just glare at one another and for the most part ignore each other. Not a great situation, the king assessed, but there was nothing he could do about it at this instant. Perhaps if they had fought together it would alleviate the tension between the two, he thought. Those were worries for another day, now to organize this grand force and make it ready to set sail.

The leader of the riverfleet, a thin, sinewy and old-looking Cardolani named Meldir, approached Aragorn.

“The wind is in the sails and we are ready to depart, my king.” he said in his soft voice.

“Excellent!” Aragorn replied.

“How long will it take before we reach Argond?” he inquired, turning his gaze towards the captain.

The old man looked to the sky and sniffed at the wind, or at least that is what Aragorn thought he was doing.

“If the wind stays in our favour, and I think it will, we'll arrive tomorrow evening.” is what he eventually said.

“And if not?” Aragorn bemusingly asked.

“Then it will take two days.” the man said, shrugging.

Aragorn stared across the Gwathló south for a moment until Meldir interrupted his train of thought

“At the worst we'll be on the open sea in little than over a week, my king.” he said, guessing Aragorn's source of concern.

The king smiled.

“Thanks Captain Meldir, I'm ready to depart. Take your position at the helm.” the king said turning away from the captain to his adjudant.

“Sound the horns. We sail within an hour's time. Those not on board will have to walk all the way to Mordor.”

“Yes, my king.” the adjudant replied signaling the hornblowers.

As the clear notes of brass horns blared across the river, Aragorn took his place on the stern of the ship. With the wind blowing through his long dark hair with a speck of grey here and there, he waited for another adventure to begin.

Spring 3022 T.A. Lond Angren

In retrospect, Aragorn had been worrying for nothing. A strong wind continuously blew from the north and before the end of the week they had reached the port of Lond Daer, at the mouths of the Gwathló entering the Belegaer, the Great Sea. On their way south, Hirvegil and Halbarad had both joined the party at Argond, and at Lond Daer the Breelander army under Celephinndir, son of Damrod, and his cousin Arfandil, son of Nirven awaited, already boarded on the great sea-vessels called the Palaran (Quenya* for Far-Wanderer). The Breelanders were nothing more than welltrained farmers. They were the least accustomed to fighting but under the guidance of the Dúnedain many young lads had joined and trained to fight the good fight, as they called it. Swords and axes were their primary weapons with long triangular shields as well as a couple regiments of bowmen. Their colours were a mish mash of green, brown and yellow. Most wore leather hauberks and round or bowlshaped helmets. They looked like a cheery bunch in comparison to the serene Dúnedain and the grim and dark Rhudaurians. Four days after they had departed Tharbad, Aragorn said farewell to Meldir and the river and embraced the sea.

The last to join them was Nirven and his army of Wildmen from Minhiriath at Lond Angren, the final stop before they sailed for Gondor. Likewise his son, Arfandil, commanded an army entirely consisting of Wildmen but his were from Enedwaith. Each almost 4000 men strong. Ill-equiped as they were they made up for in numbers and sheer ferocity, many of them wielding large two handed axes. For armour they wore fur coats or even just cloth jackets. Some of them wore no such thing and went to battle barechested, showing off their many intricate tattoos, wielding only a small wooden shield, javelins and a long knife or axe. They could not have looked more different from the heavily armoured Dúnedain who's colourscheme was black and white whereas the Wildmen's were brown and yellow.

None would have guessed they were all part of the same army where it not for the seven starred and white tree banner they all brandished. No man had commanded an army this diverse since the War of the Last Alliance and it was a mess to control all of them, each group wanting different things. The calm and organized Dúnedain wanting a place where they could rest and contemplate in peace, the fierce Rhudaurians huddling together and isolating themselves from the rest while they held their wake, their eyes forever shifting towards the Dúnedain encampments, the cheerful Breelanders mingling with the Dúnedain and bringing joy to the otherwise silent camps drinking ale, smoking pipeweed and playing music round the campfires and the Wildmen secluding themselves in a very unorganized fashion, their felt tents scattered around fires where often large groups sat singing in their guttural language, performing sacrifices to their gods and generally unnerving everyone with their strange traditions. They all endured their aggravations and annoyances for one another for one man. Aragorn, their king. It was the one thing most of them could agree upon, that Aragorn was a good, kind and just ruler. The Dúnedain's loyalty was unquestionable and were followed closely by the young Breelanders who adored him. The Wildmen respected him and though some of the men from Rhudaur loved him most did not but were too few to start any real trouble. It wasn't a perfect situation but it worked and that was the most important thing at this point.

With Nirven aboard they were finally ready to depart. From the bow of his flagship Aragorn looked north one last time to the kingdom, the home and the family he probably wouldn't see for many years. His hand raised to all he loved, a mighty wind arose from the north and caught the sails, finally driving him to his fate and that of Middle-Earth.

*Quenya is one of the Elvish languages in Tolkien's universe, together with the more commonly known Sindarin.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 18, 2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: minor changes/fixed some spelling mistakes

The future is uncertain, but what is clear is that it will bring more great tales of Aragorn and others!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 19/10/2018]

And our heroes forge onward! Great descriptions all round, I think the hostility between the Dunedain and the men of Rhudaur was encapsulated pretty nicely. Looks like Aragorn's leading the UN to war LOL. And a nice little pic to cap it off.

Mordor will not be vanquished so easily. We are waiting...

I just found this and I guess I'll be busy for the next few days. You're doing a great job.

Content Emeritus

The future is uncertain, but what is clear is that it will bring more great tales of Aragorn and others!
    As always, thank you Alwyn for the encouragement!

And our heroes forge onward! Great descriptions all round, I think the hostility between the Dunedain and the men of Rhudaur was encapsulated pretty nicely. Looks like Aragorn's leading the UN to war LOL. And a nice little pic to cap it off.

Mordor will not be vanquished so easily. We are waiting...
    Thanks very much Swaeft! Hahahaha Aragorn, ambassador for the UN, kindly asking Sauron to stop his malevolent rule

Quote Originally Posted by UK730 View Post
    I just found this and I guess I'll be busy for the next few days. You're doing a great job.
    Thanks UK730! Always nice to see new faces join in the fun. Luckily for you writing has been slow on this story for the past month so you have had enough time to catch up! Hope you continue to enjoy yourself here.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 17/11/2018]

Book II, Chapter II: The Journey
    January 3023 TA, Osgiliath

As the fleet crossed the Belegaer, the Dúnedain were met with resistance and bad luck. Three days, after what seemed like a blessed journey, the wind turned and blew steady in a northwestern direction. After twenty days instead of the normal six Aragorn finally rounded the Horn of Andrast, the westernmost point of Gondor and set course to the east. The men layed their eyes to the horizon north where, if they had had far-sight, could've seen the lush green hills of Pinnath Gelin. The rest of the journey went rather well with the only annoyance being the stubborn wind coming from the east and it wasn't until they caught sight of the cliffs of Belfalas that real troubles arose again. A late summer storm hit and scattered the fleet south- and westward. With his ships scattered Aragorn put the plan to work he had devised should such an eventuality happen. All ships were to sail for the nearest port, of which they knew, and lay in wait for messages. They were to rendez-vous at Dol Amroth and from there continue their journey together. It was far too dangerous to sail the ocean seperately as they would be a easy target for pirates. The Prince of Dol Amroth, Imrahil, had welcomed the Northern Dúnedain into his halls even though the Steward of Gondor had forbidden Arnorian troops to disembark on Gondorian soil. But Imrahil argued he had the power and autonomy to decide that for himself, this was after all Dor-en-Ernil - the Land of the Prince, and he would not sit idly by while his kinsmen suffered misfortune. Summer had gone and passed into autumn and still Aragorn waited for his ships to return. Some had already come and lay in anchor at the grand port of Dol Amroth. At the cusp of winter the Arnorian fleet was complete again with only a couple of ships lost and most only lightly damaged. After nearly half a year when they had left the haven of Lond Angren, near the mouths of the river Isen which flowed from Isengard all the way across southern Enedwaith, to the great sea, did Aragorn look upon the Ethir Anduin, the mouths of the Anduin. The lighter and smaller ships Aragorn had been forced to use, because of the Wildmen, would now come in very handy traversing up the Anduin all the way to the Harlond(not the Elven city in Lindon but the port of Minas Tirith with the same name, Harlond is Sindarin for South Haven) Landing on the western shore would have been the safer option if they could have. This was not the Land of the Prince and Denethor's stubborn policies did apply here. The men of Gondor lamentably watched their northern brothers land on enemy soil, on the Mordor held eastern bank. This meant the Men of the North had to act fast and secure a base of operation swiftly this far from their homeland.

Situation of Ithilien at the arrival of Arnor

King Elessar was the first to disembark and land on hostile ground. His forces took no rest and went straight east to secure one of the bridges spanning over the Morgulduin, leading into Ithilien, before making a provisional camp. Second to leave the ships was Halbarad, eager for battle as always, he made headway for Osgiliath. However Ithilien was rife with Orc battalions which needed to be dealt with first, before a siege could begin. While Halbarad had been the first to see the enemy, he was not the first to engage them in battle. That honour went to the King himself, completely trouncing a Uruk legion in the forests of Northern Ithilien. To say the Orcs were surprised to see an enemy emerge from their south was a slight understatement. To then be flanked by Halbarad's forces from the west was too much for them to bear and all coherency broke even among the disciplined Uruks. Their morale gone, they tried to flee but to no avail as the strong Dúnedain cavalry dominated the field, cutting down all before them. No Orc made it back to Barad-Dûr to tell the tale on how the Heir of Isildur had come to claim his destiny with cold fury in his eyes.

Aragorn's rangers open fire on the unsuspecting Orcs

Halbarad's forces join the battle

Halbarad marched west and laid siege to the city of Osgiliath, trapping the Orcs between him in the east and the Gondorians to the west who still held the western bank, while Aragorn pressed his advantage and continued north where he encountered another Mordor force. Smaller than the former but with the dreaded Olog-Hai among their ranks, great battle-Trolls in dark armour and armed with spiked clubs. Left to their own devices they would utterly destroy the battle lines and spread fear. The King led his cavalry archers personally to harras them but their bows were not strong enough to penetrate both the armour and the thick Troll skin to cause them any real harm. They did however anger them and prompt them into charging forwards towards the Arnorian battleline. Among them was a company of Steelbowmen specialised in bringing down Trolls and other heavily armoured foes but even for them it was difficult to kill the Olog-Hai. Only two of them had perished before they had joined the melee. The men of Arnor stood firm and hacked at the huge creatures with impertinence and an undying will. Ultimately the combined might of swords and lances, thrust gloriously by the Knights of Annúminas' their charge, was enough to bring Sauron's finest down. The battle went smoothly and as the last Olog-Hai fell so did the last Orc flee.

Aragorn leads his ranged cavalry to harass the enemy

Knights of Annúminas charge the Olog-Hai

The last of the leading generals to say the waters farewell was Hirvegil who marched his forces even further east all the way to the pass leading to the cursed city of Minas Morgul. On their way they met a not so small but not so large Orc warparty. The Dúnedain would have overrun them without a second glance where it not for the strange great beasts that had accompanied them. They were not something Hirvegil had ever seen nor had heard of. Probably one of the many horrible creatures living in the dark lands of Mordor, of which no mortal man knew. Trolls were frightening but Man knew this creature for a long time now and how to deal with it. These giant beasts however were outright terrifying as they seemed impervious to arrows as Hirvegil ordered all his rangers to focus them down. It only seemed to anger them and when they tore through his men they looked like bloodied demons, their tiny eyes red with rage. Nothing seemed to harm them as they stomped across the battlefield leaving red and pink pulps on the winter snow while they crushed flesh and bone. They were eventually brought down by Hirvegil's armourpiercing arrows and the swings of the mighty blades of the Blademasters but at a heavy price. Half of the Blademasters had paid the ultimate price for it. With the beasts destroyed the Orcs had lost heart and fled towards the Morgul Vale. Hirvegil had pursued them and made his camp on a hilltop overseeing the Vale, to bottle up the forces of Mordor inside it. He immediatly fortified his position to make sure no reinforcements would enter Ithilien anymore.

Hirvegil opens fire on the Great Beasts of Mordor

Blademasters battle the Beasts

Meanwhile Halbarad lost no time in resting too long and just two days after their battle in Ithilien he ordered the advance on Osgiliath. His army consisted half of Dúnedain troops and half of Rhudaurians. The Dúnadan pushed his Rhudaur pikemen forward to secure the battered gate while he ordered his archers to open fire on the Orcs inside the broken city, arrows flying over the remnants of the city walls. They were accompanied by flaming boulders as they lit up the sky. The same awful beasts Hirvegil had encountered were in the city as well. A poor decision it would soon turn out to be. Fire seemed to make the creatures go berserk, two of their kind had gone down with the boulders and the other three rampaged through the city, trampling Orcs left, right and center. In the narrow streets they had no place to hide and much of the Dúnedain's work was done for them. Halbarad, ever the fervent warrior, slung back his bow and took his battleaxe as he charged into the city to mop up the last of the enemy, before claiming victory. A battle which ended without his axe being bloodied was a lousy battle in his opinion. The Orcs that had survived the onslaught of the terrible beasts, arrows and flaming rocks were a pitiful bunch to behold, cowering in fear as Halbarad's retinue met them with steel in hand. It was almost shameful to kill them in such a sorry state, but then again the only good Orc was a dead Orc. None were left alive.

Halbarad advances on Osgiliath

Rampaging Beasts in Osgiliath

With Ithilien cleansed and Osgiliath secured, Arnor had gained its first victory over the Dark Lord and now possessed an important strategic position from which to strike out against Sauron.

Situation of Ithilien after the cleansing

A great victory, yes, but this was only the beginning.

Battle results

First battle of the Eastern Bank

First battle of the Eastern Bank results

Second battle of the Eastern Bank

Second battle of the Eastern Bank results

Hirvegil's advance

Hirvegil's advance results

Battle of Osgiliath

Battle of Osgiliath results
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 18, 2020 at 12:29 PM. Reason: minor changes/fixed some spelling mistakes/some formatting