Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 13/12/2020]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 26/01/2019]

It sounds like Melion is an independent-minded commander, I wonder if this trait will help him or get him into trouble (maybe both). The resentment between the Northern and Southern Kingdoms sounds like a potential source of disaster, especially considering the history of division causing the downfall of human kingdoms. I'm enjoying this!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 26/01/2019]

Like others have said - q good update. I also want to encourage more of these Author notes. The back story adds so much to the tale.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Another good update! The point about food and armies was brought across well, I think, and although its annoying to see Denethor continue to be somewhat hostile to the Dunedain, I'm sure that yarn will unravel itself in good time. This new general, Melion, seems rather inept if you don't mind me saying. Talrim's interaction with the scout (Malborn...there is a wood elf in Skyrim in the main questline named Malborn, lol) was pretty funny to read, and just as I was expecting that to be it, we have an Easter(ling) surprise on the cards! This is getting better and better, better get myself some popcorn.

P.S. Interesting backstory about the Kinstrife! So that's how the Umbarans came about, good to know.
    Thanks very much Swaeft! You are correct, Melion is rather unqualified for the job seeing as he has no experience in leading an army. I didn't remember the fact that Malborn is indeed a character in Skyrim until you said it, what a wonderful coincidence. I'm not sure what you mean by funny? Funny as in it was amusing or funny as in it was strange? It was as much as a surprise to you as it was to me. I thought I had cleared Ithilien of evil forces and then just out of nowhere *pop* a wild Easterling appears. It did scare me a little bit because I had just left Osgilliath completely undefended. I still don't know why they were hiding in my trees, so far from home. Weird fellas these Easterlings.

P.P.S. (here we go again ) Glad you like it, there is a lot of information about many a thing in Middle-Earth that isn't well known. It's nice to see it is well received!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    It sounds like Melion is an independent-minded commander, I wonder if this trait will help him or get him into trouble (maybe both). The resentment between the Northern and Southern Kingdoms sounds like a potential source of disaster, especially considering the history of division causing the downfall of human kingdoms. I'm enjoying this!
    Thank you, as ever, Alwyn! I would say it has a chance of helping him and is almost certain to get him into trouble, like being independent-minded in general does. At least that's my experience with it. It is indeed a troubling situation when peoples who are akin to one another and should be natural allies are divided by the decisions of a madman. Sauron must be laughing in his Dark Tower at this division.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Like others have said - q good update. I also want to encourage more of these Author notes. The back story adds so much to the tale.
    Thanks for stopping by Norsething! Very pleased to hear you like the Author notes. Seeing they are a succes, if I say so myself, I will keep adding them where it is appropriate. Really a win-win situation because I love talking about the lore of Middle-Earth.

Thanks again all of you!

Content Emeritus

Book II, Chapter VII: Easterlings
    April 3023 T.A. Ithilien

The Easterlings had camped in a clearing within the forests of Northern Ithilien. Men with a swarthy skin wearing colourful clothing did the everyday tasks of running a war-camp. Gathering food, wood and water, cooking, sharpening weapons, reinforcing armour and countless other things. There were also in golden armour. They were the infamous Dragon Legions, hailing from the lands on the southside of the Sea of Rhûn. The Daritai they called themselves and they had united all the clans of Rhûn under their dragon banner. What once had been a loose confederation of clans and families had been transformed into a strong nation united under one ruler, the Lôke-Khan. Most of the clans present were known to the men of Gondor. Members of the Balchoth, wearing white tunics and green turbans, Khandish clansmen in their brown leather (those who remained loyal to Sauron) and those of the Arulad in scaly armour, mostly horsemen. The Daritai worshipped a Dragon Cult and their most elite forces came directly from this cult. Fanatics wearing the golden armour of the Dragon Legions, wielding two curved swords. Where the legions had their strength in discipline and unity the Cult warriors relied on sheer fanaticism and personal skill. Trained from a young age to become fearsome warriors they were the bane of all who stood against them. These men could turn the outcome of a battle on their own, inspiring the men of Rhûn to fight on beyond their normal breaking point, and frightening the enemy with their red-eyed gaze. Knowing no fear they went into the parts of the line were the odds were most against them, screaming like demons in their charge. Never surrendering they took all who opposed them with them to the grave. Luckily none of these crazed Dragon-worshippers were present in this force.

Of this the Arnorians knew nothing except about the existence of the Balchoth and Khandish tribes from the histories of Gondor. The Daritai were a fairly new clan to the northwest of Middle-Earth, having only recently migrated from foreign lands beyond the Sea of Rhûn, and only rumours of the unification of Rhûn had reached Eriador. They did not know how the Dragon Legions had overrun the lands of Rhovanion, enslaving its populace, or how they had pillaged the vinyards of Dorwinion, ransacking the Vinter Court, or how they had set alight the river Running in their invasion of Dale, their golden armour shining in the sun like an unquenchable fire. Now all the east ranging from the East Bight of Mirkwood to far off lands beyond the Sea of Rhûn belonged to the Daritai and their united Rhûn. Only the men of Dale and the Dwarves of Erebor resisted the grasp of the Dragon's Claw, along the river Carnen. Whether it was a good thing the Dúnedain didn't know of their adversaries' fighting prowess is debatable. What was certain was this, they all could agree upon that they looked very menacing indeed.

Talrim's hopes for a surprise attack were quickly shattered as they came upon a organized line. The Easterlings had formed up in a clearing where their cavalry, of which they had plenty, could be used most effectively. How they had found out about the Arnorians advance, Melion did not know but here they were, ready for battle, shouting in their strange language things that were undoubtedly insults directed towards the Northerners. Their army was formed up in two battlelines, with the skirimishers, and light infantry in the first and the disciplined Dragon Legions in the second. On the left flank they placed all their heavy cataphract cavalry, the Lôke-Innas-Rim, with their commander present. Lastly the lighter cavalry and dreaded chariots were put on the right. If Talrim was taken aback by the enemy's readiness then he hid it well. He immediatly ordered the archers to form a line on the slope of the hill they stood on with in front of them a thick line of Arnorian heavy infantry. The two companies of horsearchers were placed opposite the cataphracts, not to deal much damage but to try and lure them away from the battlefield while the Dúnedain cavalry mopped up the lighter Rhûnic cavalry on the other side of the battlefield. The rangers were to fire on the enemy's light forces. Melion and his steelbowmen would focus their heavy arrows to bring down the chariots with the Blademasters held in reserve should the Easterlings break through. This was at least Talrim's plan though every commander knows you can't expect a battle to go your way. These suggestions he passed on to Melion who, lacking a better plan of his own, implemented them all.

Dark clouds had gathered during the Arnorian's march east and finally unleashed its lashing rain on the soldiers while the morning sun shone its bleak light on their faces, rising over the Ered Wethrin. The Rhûnic forces did not sit idly for long though they were the defender in this battle. After a short skirmishing phase which went in the favour of the Dúnedain, they sent forth their first wave of troops, the fast moving colourful pallet of various clansmen with in tow the heavily armoured troops advancing in good order behind them providing the second wave. Simultaniously they pushed both cavalry wings forward. Melion's bodyguard had much difficulty in dealing with the chariots. The horses towing the crafts wore armour on which the arrows, diminished in effectiveness by the heavy rain, ricocheted. In the center the melee had begun with the Arnorians swiftly gaining the upperhand against the light forces of Rhûn, who were no match for the plated warriors of the North. All seemed well when the chariots crashed into the Arnorian infantry on the left flank. The initial charge did a tremendous amount of damage, the heavy horses sending men, both friend and foe, flying. They were however quickly bogged down and slain. Melion, seeing that his arrows did nothing to stop the beasts, had sent for two companies of Blademasters to reinforce the left. Their timely arrival had prevented the wains from pushing through the lines and attack again from the rear. The right flank, where Talrim stood among the infantry, fared not much better in the fight for they had to contend with cataphract charges. The Rhûnnic commander cleverly ignored the harassment from the horsearchers, understanding they posed no real threat to him, and charged straight into the infantry line inflicting some casualties. They quickly withdrew and prepared for another charge while they were continually peppered with arrows. In general the battle was going well and the Arnorians pushed the weak enemy infantry after a short brawl. The clansmen retreated and made way for the Dragon Legions to enter the fray. Tightly packed, wielding halberds, or mace and shield they crashed with the sword and board Arnorians.

The grind went on with neither side gaining ground. The archers let loose of every arrow they had in their quivers to bring down the cataphracts and enemy ranged units, who constantly made casualties among the cloaked Dúnedain rangers. The turning of the battle came when the Arnorians won on their left flank with the Dúnedain cavalry sending the Arulad Dragonriders fleeing. It was at this moment that the battle had essentially been won, and Melion pressed his advantage. Seeing the enemy cavalry leave the field they turned their horses and charged the unprotected skirmisher line of the Easterlings. With them gone, the infantry began their orderly retreat with the Dúnedain close on their heels. Melion pursued them all the way back to their camp where most of them moved no further and performed their last stand. Arnor was victorious.

As he cleaned and sheathed his sword, Talrim, his helm cracked and blood dripping across his face, looked backward and saw his commander standing on the hill in the distance. What a pathetic excuse of a Lord, Melion's lieutenant thought. He should've stayed back in the Angle where he could grow fat on its riches while real men went into battle and protected the realm. Men like me, Talrim thought. Talrim had heard tales of Melion's bravery in the fight against Agandaûr but had difficulty believing them. He too had fought in the Angmar War, as a soldier in Aragorn's force. For his prowess in battle and skill in command he had risen to the rank of sergeant and during the occupation of Rhudaur and the suppressing of resistance in the region he was rewarded with the rank of staff officer to Araphor. When the call came to embark on the journey to Mordor he had joined immediately, having been a fighter for most of his time. Instead of staying with Araphor he was transferred to the household of Melion, a gift from Araphor to his longtime friend. The transfer came with a promotion to first lieutenant, second in command of their force. Talrim always fought alongside his men and they respected him for it. His weapon of preference was the spear, a strong ash shaft with on top a leaf shaped tip made from Westernisse Steel. Like all Dúnedain of the North he was also proficient in the bow as well as the sword, being taught in the art of fighting from a young age. Now in his sixties he was still a strong and virile man, befitting a man of Númenórean descent, as well as experienced. He resented to work for a weak and incompetent man like Melion yet it was his duty, something he valued highly. Talrim spat a mixture of blood, dirt and saliva on the ground as he gathered his gear. He grabbed his spear from where he had left him, its butt stuck in the ground, and signalled the men to stop ransaking the Easterling camp and prepare for the march back to their own.

Battle Results

Author's Note
    The only two clans that are canon are the Balchoth and the Khandish, both having invaded Gondor and its allies on important occassions. Both the Arulad and the Daritai are clans created by the DaC team to give flavour to the faction. As mentioned in this chapter, DaC's lore on Rhûn is that a dragon worshipping clan, the Daritai, came from the far east and settled on the south bank of the Sea of Rhûn. When commanded by the AI it will automatically gain most of its territories in the first turn auto-expansion. When the player plays as Rhûn they will start with only one region and will have only access to the Daritai units, which are very limited. In order to recruit units from the other clans you need to conquer them and hold their settlements. It is essential you do this if you want to use Rhûn's full army roster. When you have united all the Rhûnic lands you will gain access to the dreaded Suri'ut chariots. I have played a Rhûn campaign myself and I must say it has a rather challenging beginning but once you hit the mid-game you gain access to very powerful units and you won't have much trouble defeating your enemies, even the Dwarves of Erebor. You might lose a battle or two but your sheer numbers will win you the day. Nonetheless it is a fun faction to play as.

Now for the book lore. Not much is known about Rhûn, which literally means East, and its peoples as Tolkien's works focus on the western parts of the world. What is known is that it is home to a innumerable amount of clans with most of them under Sauron's sway. Many prominent figures in the Lord of the Rings are said to have gone east among which: Saruman and the two Blue Wizards, Aragorn and Éomer the former before and after the War of the Ring, the latter only after. Gandalf never went east as is told in the following sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Window on the West
    'Mithrandir we called him in elf-fashion,' said Faramir, 'and he was content. Many are my names in many countries, he said. Mithrandir among the Elves; Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus; in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.'
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 18, 2020 at 01:13 PM. Reason: minor changes/Fixed some spelling mistakes

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 08/02/2019]

A battle, great! What? It's not like I've been waiting for one...

Very good descriptions of the Easterlings, quite similar to how I imagine them to be, in fact. I must say even though I dislike them as a people, I do admire their armor, it looks really menacing and well-fashioned. Nothing will take the Dunedain away from the top spot in my heart, though. Your battle descriptions are pretty solid as well, and I daresay your attention to detail has improved. Little things like arrows ricocheting off armour and the second wave advancing behind the first make for an immersive battle. I wonder if Talrim will eventually take over control from Melion, though, the last paragraph seems particularly worrying.

About the battle screens: 202 kills by the Dunedain men-at-arms! Jeez! Good numbers all around, and I guess the battle was easier than the way you wrote it. I myself face that same problem in the Holy Land

The lore is an interesting read as always, please keep it up!

P.S. Great screenshots as well! In particular I love the one with the Halberd infantry marching.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 08/02/2019]

I agree, this was a great battle and your description of the formidable Dragon Legions shows what the Dunedain were up against. I'm concerned by Talrim's perception of Melion and wonder if this is a sign of a problem ahead.

Content Emeritus

Very good descriptions of the Easterlings, quite similar to how I imagine them to be, in fact. I must say even though I dislike them as a people, I do admire their armor, it looks really menacing and well-fashioned. Nothing will take the Dunedain away from the top spot in my heart, though. Your battle descriptions are pretty solid as well, and I daresay your attention to detail has improved. Little things like arrows ricocheting off armour and the second wave advancing behind the first make for an immersive battle. I wonder if Talrim will eventually take over control from Melion, though, the last paragraph seems particularly worrying.
    Thanks Swaeft! Glad to see you liked my descriptions in this one. I tried to focus this chapter on the battle and continue the slowing down of the pacing of this AAR, a trend for Book II I would say in contrast to the first one which simply flew by. The quicker pace worked perfectly for it but it's time to change a bit and enter uncharted territories. Accidents do happen quite often on the frontline.

About the battle screens: 202 kills by the Dunedain men-at-arms! Jeez! Good numbers all around, and I guess the battle was easier than the way you wrote it. I myself face that same problem in the Holy Land
    Yes the battle was easier than I wrote it though I must confess it was a bit spotty. The chariots had already charged me before I had time to order my archers to fire at them because micromanaging is difficult. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story is a nice proverb I think.

The lore is an interesting read as always, please keep it up!
    Will do!

P.S. Great screenshots as well! In particular I love the one with the Halberd infantry marching.
    Thank you! My preference goes to the other one, with the Dúnedain Men-at-Arms marching on the hill, the bleak sun shining on their face, but only by a small margin.

A battle, great! What? It's not like I've been waiting for one...
    P. Be careful what you wish for, before you know it you'll be drowned in battles S.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I agree, this was a great battle and your description of the formidable Dragon Legions shows what the Dunedain were up against. I'm concerned by Talrim's perception of Melion and wonder if this is a sign of a problem ahead.
    Thank you Alwyn! I think the Dragon Legions are one of the best looking and units of the mod and it really inspired me to describe their appearance as well as their achievements in this campaign. Hopefully we'll see more of them because after the thousandth Orc you'd want to see something else I'd imagine.

I was also surprised by the end statistics of the battle. I never thought such overwhelming numbers were possible. And there were no prisoners. They died on the field without breaking. Honor in defeat as well as in victory.

Content Emeritus

I was also surprised by the end statistics of the battle. I never thought such overwhelming numbers were possible. And there were no prisoners. They died on the field without breaking. Honor in defeat as well as in victory.
    Thanks Norsething! The army of Melion is full of powerful late game troops which outclass most of the Rhûnic forces as well as those present were not all of the best quality, the Dragon Legions are on par with the Dúnedain men-at-arms (my standard line infantry). DaC also introduces locked morale for certain units, meaning they will never rout. Locked morale is only given to a small amount of über elite units and some general's bodyguards which isn't always benificial. In my campaigns I lost many a general because he was the last man standing but wouldn't break. It's a fun dynamic and it's something you'll have to take into account when you play the game. In DaC battles generally last longer than in base Med II and I think it's a huge improvement, I've been playing this mod since its beginning and I absolutely love it.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 22/02/2019]

Book II, Chapter VIII: Dagorlad; the Battle Plain
    June 3023 T.A.

Dagorlad, the Battle-Plain, known for the famous War of the Last Alliance was again home to a large host though no Elves were present this time nor any of Durin's Folk. These peoples were preoccupied with their own problems at the moment. The Sindar and Silvan elves of Lothlórien and Mirkwood battled with the Orcs of Dol Guldur beneath the trees, unseen by the world's eyes. The Noldor had no strength left in Middle-Earth and most had already left these shores for the Uttermost West, while the Dwarves of the Longbeard clan fought valiantly in the north alongside the Men of Dale against the threat of Rhûn. Of the participants of the War of the Last alliance only Elendil's descendants were present this day. At this moment his direct descendant, through Isildur, held an important meeting with his commanders. Of these the primary were: Araphor, sitting left of Aragorn who sat at the head of the table; Halbarad, seated on the King's right; Melion, who sat left of Araphor, and Celephinndir, the firstborn son of Damrod, seated right of his grandfather, Halbarad. On his right his Uncle Nirven sat. It was on Celephinndir's exploits that Aragorn was inquiring about.

"The western reaches of Dagorlad have been secured, my liege." a still shaken Celphinndir said. He had returned a couple of days ago after his task to hunt down a large Orc party roaming the Dagorlad had been finished. Days of chasing them across the barren plain had led them to an abandoned outpost from the heydays of Gondor where the Orcs had taken shelter. Sauron's minions had fortified themselves inside and Celephinndir, young and brazen, had assaulted the walls to eliminate them as soon as possible. "I have heard reports that you had lost all the men of Bree in your assault of the stronghold?" the King asked, locking his inquisitive eyes on the young man's. Celephinndir's eyes shot to the King's and saw its steely gaze directed at him. When he answered his voice had a hint of annoyance but his face went a shade of red nonetheless. "Those must be false reports, my liege. I can tell you our casualties were divided equally among the men." the young noble said.

Silence.

'I do not favour the Dúnedain over the men of Bree when it comes to sending them into the heat of battle!' he added fiercely and he showed a large freshly stitched cut along his left arm, from wrist to elbow, to support his claim. This wound, still red and swollen, he said, he had received when he had fought a large Uruk during the battle. Nirven watched his nephew and saw the terror of what he had seen was still in Celephinndir's body and mind. Celephinndir and his generation had grown up in a relatively safe environment with only the odd Orc band raiding the lands of Rhudaur. War was something the youngsters thought of as something glorious and heroic when in fact it was far from it. The Orcs of the Misty Mountains, who sometimes raided Dúnedain lands, also were nothing compared to the strong Uruks from Mordor. A combination of the shattering reality of war and the strength of their enemies had shaken the young man to the core. War is a cruel mistress, he thought, as he looked at his nephew. Aragorn softened his gaze and smiled at the young man.

"I believe you Celephinndir, I did not mean to imply anything otherwise. There are always those who would try to spread disunity among us. How many casualties did we make?"

"Unfortunately a rather significant amount." Damrod's son replied, his defying demeanor replaced with a defeated one, his shoulders slumped. "The Uruks were strong but we could deal with them but they were also accompanied by the giant monsters, Hirvegil told us about." A shiver ran through his spine as he remembered their devestating charge, crushing man and Orc to a pulp. They left a pink trail in their wake, its horrendous smell invading one's nostrils and instilling fear in one's heart. Celephinndir had felt disgusted when he saw the helpless young men of Bree get trampled while they first valiantly charged and then tried to flee while he could do nothing to prevent it. He couldn't blame them, he had been safe on the wall while they saw their comrades get tossed around like rag dolls, and even he had felt like running at their sight. The Men of Bree had taken the brunt of the beasts' charge and perhaps this was the source of the rumours of the haughty Dúnedain and their disregard for those of “lesser” descent, sacrificing them instead of Dúnedain lives. This sentiment lived strongly among many of the Middlemen and Wildmen for some years now and though it was true that some Dúnedain thought themselves better and thus their lives more precious, most of them did not. If anything the majority of Dúnedain thought it their duty to protect the others and go were things were most dangerous. They had done this protective service in Eriador since the Kingdom of Arnor fell to the Witch-King in 1975 of the Third Age and would continue to do so after its reinstating. Protecting people was in their blood. "I think we might've lost about a quarter of our forces if not more, the severely wounded not counting." Celephinndir lowered his eyes, not wanting to meet anyone's gaze. If he had he would've seen the sympathy they beared for him rather than the scorn he feared. The silence was broken by Halbarad who placed his hand on his grandson's shoulder.

"You've performed admirably under difficult circumstances lad!" he said, voicing everyone's opinion in the room. Celephinndir raised his head and faced Halbarad who's grip strengthened. "You are both brave and inspiring, I've seen mightier men lead their forces against less terrifying creatures and lose them to fear which led to the death of all." On Celephinndir's face a weak smile appeared. "Whatever you think you did wrong, it is not true." he added releasing him with a pat on the shoulder. Aragorn nodded and affirmed what Halbarad had just said.

"Your grandfather is right. You've shown great potential and your actions saved us many lives." and with that Aragorn ended this part of the conversation. Halabarad and Nirven were whispering with Celephinndir as the King continued his council meeting. The King's brow furrowed as he turned his gaze to the other side of the table at Melion. Melion's belated arrival at the end of April had angered Aragorn and was only a bit softened by the fact Melion had dealt with a hidden threat which could've done a lot of damage if it had been left unchecked. The rogue easterling army, and how it had gotten there, was a mystery to all. Melion had after the batttle first marched towards Hirvegil's position to inform him on what had happenend. Damrod had been shocked when he had heard the news and remembering his fit of rage, after Hirvegil's outrageous statement of a threat to the west, he promptly went to apologise. A bit ashamed he had arrived at the great tower where Hirvegil lived. Hirvegil was very gracious about it and without a second thought forgave Damrod for his outburst but his concerned gaze still lingered to the west from time to time, his heart still not at ease. All was quiet still around the Rammas-dan-Morgul and thus after delivering his message, Melion had marched as he had been ordered to, to the Black Gate. When he had arrived Aragorn had been very displeased with him, immediately upon arrival summoning him to his tent to explain himself on his belatedness. Melion, still dirty from a day's march, had quickly explained that their ships had been blown off course quite considerably by the storms. He did avoid getting into detail on their seaward journey and quickly continued his story with their arrival at Osgiliath. “The army needed to restock on food and equipment, my Lord, before commencing on their journey. The ardeous journey across the Belegaer had taken its toll on the men when we reached the city and they were in no shape to march as by your order, Your Grace.” an apologetic Melion had said. The King's frowned face had remained grim and silent but Melion had not shown any concern, his face saddenend and apologetic. While he was rather incompetent in battle he excelled in the art of diplomacy. “Once we were recovered from this hardship we marched at all haste to your aid, my King, when alas we encountered a large party of Rhûnnic forces only a couple of kilometers east of Osgiliath. As your loyal subject I then took it upon myself to rid ourselves of these foes, so far in friendly territory.” Melion had paused, hiding a smirk. He had prepared this speech on the way north and it was very well received given the circumstances. Aragorn's frown hadn't lifted in the slightest but he had dismissed him without punishment after thanking him. Ever since, the King had been displeased with him and it showed, but Aragorn couldn't find a way to punish his slippery general for he obeyed every command given and remained within the rules. It was true that the defeat of the suddenly appeared Easterling army had prevented disaster and everyone knew it and were grateful but the way Melion had tried to weasel his way out of punishment, implicitly laying the blame at someone else's feet, was not something that gladdened the King.

"Now that our western borders are as safe as they can be we can start looking towards our objective." Aragorn said while he rose from his chair, towering over the rest of them; his back straight; wearing a black tabbard over his mail, depicting the seven stars of Elendil and the Sceptre of Annúminas wrought from mithril; his sword, Andúril, on his side; his tall winged helmet in front of him; he looked the spitting image of Elendil. "Sauron has not taken our challenge by encamping our armies before his front door. The time has come to bring the challenge beyond his door." Everyone had grown silent realising what this meant. Halbarad and Araphor showed a grim face, telling everyone they had suspected this to happen and were prepared for it. Nirven had a stoney expression, hiding his fear while his nephew Celephinndir's face visibly steeled itself for the coming doom. Melion's face had all but been drained from blood and it seemed like he was going to be sick. Aragorn looked each of them in the eyes before saying the words from which their was no return and would seal the fate of many.

"It's time we storm the Black Gate! The Siege of Mordor has begun!"

Author's Note
    I got the idea for the rumoured massacring of the Breemen from the game itself. I fought the battle manually and indeed lost almost all of my Bree regiments. The game however crashed while loading back to the campaign map (RIP). Frustrated I did not replay the battle and auto-resolved it with a better outcome. For that reason you can see so many dead Breemen lying on the battlefield in the screenshots and see the big losses I made during this battle in the results. I thought it would be a shame not to show you them and let my work fighting the battle manually go wasted.

Battle Results

Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 19, 2020 at 04:30 AM. Reason: minor changes/Fixed some spelling mistakes

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 22/02/2019]

More battles! Or rather, reports of battles. And of battles to come! I am very pleased.

Celephinndir (damn that name, had to triple check it) seems to me to be rather unconfident, which is a nice reflection of what you have said about his ilk having lived in a peaceful land. If I hadn't read your author's note I might have thought something more sinister was going on with the offing of the Breelanders. Also, quite funny again to see Melion incurring the wrath of, this time, Aragorn himself! I wonder how long before everyone starts realizing he's quite the bumbling fool. You fit the lore into the chapter well, and it flows rather seamlessly if I may say so. It doesn't feel like your characters are explaining something they should already know for our (the reader's) sake, so that's good.

All in all a nice update, glad to have read it

Also, sorry to hear about the crash, that happens to me too sometimes after fighting a massive battle in stainless steel and I know what a pain it is. It was a good idea to show the battle results screen nonetheless.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Fortunately, the crash does not affect the story. Using the stats from either the auto resolve or the battle before the crash is good use of material. Congratulations on moving forward. I know many a time with such a crash, I simply stopped playing the campaign.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

just found this, very nice AAR; I should re-start to play DaC, if only I could find the time
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Content Emeritus

Fortunately, the crash does not affect the story. Using the stats from either the auto resolve or the battle before the crash is good use of material. Congratulations on moving forward. I know many a time with such a crash, I simply stopped playing the campaign.
    Thank you NorseThing! Crashes can indeed demoralise someone to the point where they don't want to carry on. Fortunately DaC is a very stable mod and crashes don't occur very often. I would probably quit playing if after every battle the game crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    just found this, very nice AAR; I should re-start to play DaC, if only I could find the time
    Thank you very much Flinn! Glad to see you join the party! If there was a time to re-start playing it is now with the newly released Version 3 of DaC. (I can't wait to play it). I understand the problem of lack of time, I myself don't have much time to play, which has been a limiting factor for the progression of the story in the past. (and could be in the future) Anyway thanks for stopping by and for the rep. You honour me!

More battles! Or rather, reports of battles. And of battles to come! I am very pleased.
    Thank you Swaeft, glad to see you so enthusiastic for the bloodshed that is to come.

Celephinndir (damn that name, had to triple check it) seems to me to be rather unconfident, which is a nice reflection of what you have said about his ilk having lived in a peaceful land. If I hadn't read your author's note I might have thought something more sinister was going on with the offing of the Breelanders.
    It is quite a mouthful isn't it. Thank you, it only seemed logical that this young, inexperienced man would have no understanding of war and it's gruesome details having grown up in a relative peaceful environment. I know I would be shocked by the horrors of battle and war in the real world let alone against monsters like Orcs, trolls and whatnot. Then again it's scarier to find out the monster you're fighting is just a human being just like yourself.

Who says there isn't anything wicked and or sinister going on? (God that's a great emote)

Also, quite funny again to see Melion incurring the wrath of, this time, Aragorn himself! I wonder how long before everyone starts realizing he's quite the bumbling fool.
    Melion is a slippery fellow but who knows if he will get his comeuppance one day.

Also, sorry to hear about the crash, that happens to me too sometimes after fighting a massive battle in stainless steel and I know what a pain it is. It was a good idea to show the battle results screen nonetheless.
    There's nothing we can do about it, it's annoying and as long it doesn't happen too frequently or you come across a crash you can't work around it's workable.

You fit the lore into the chapter well, and it flows rather seamlessly if I may say so. It doesn't feel like your characters are explaining something they should already know for our (the reader's) sake, so that's good.

All in all a nice update, glad to have read it
    Thank you very much, hearing this makes me really happy!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Turka, it's the people like you, with your excellent AARs, that honour the site.

In all due honesty I'm waiting for the release of DCI:LA in order to restart to play ... long time ago I promised the good Ngugi that I would have made an AAR out of my campaign, but well time flies indeed, and it was quite a long time ago.. I really doubt I still have time today for that
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Turka, it's the people like you, with your excellent AARs, that honour the site.

In all due honesty I'm waiting for the release of DCI:LA in order to restart to play ... long time ago I promised the good Ngugi that I would have made an AAR out of my campaign, but well time flies indeed, and it was quite a long time ago.. I really doubt I still have time today for that
    Thanks very much Flinn!

I too can't wait to play DCI: LA, perhaps make an AAR out of it. (It has great potential for it) But let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. One AAR at a time, that's more than enough I would deem.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Who says there isn't anything wicked and or sinister going on? (God that's a great emote)
    ...you tease! Yeah whoever created that emote is a genius, that's my favourite by far. Look at those eyes!

Content Emeritus

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 08/03/2019]

Book II, Chapter IX: Rammas-dan-Morgul
    June 3023 T.A.

Hirvegil stood upon the top of his grand tower observing the peaceful landscape to the south. The dense forests of North Ithilien gave way to brown rolling hills. These were the hills of Emyn Arnen and it was the heart and soul of the land known as Ithilien. In ages past a group of prominent Númenórean nobles had lived on top of those hills and from them had come Húrin of Emyn Arnen, the founder of the House of Stewards. Before Húrin the office of Steward was given to an eldery respected man favoured and trusted by the King to function as the most trusted advisor to the King of Gondor, and rule in his stead when the King went to war. After Húrin's death, serving as Steward to King Minardil, it became traditional for the next Steward to be chosen from Húrin's descendants. When Steward Vorondil, a direct descendant of Húrin, took over, from his father Pelendur, as Steward, the position became hereditary and his son Mardil Voronwë became the first Ruling Steward after serving both King Eärnil II, who died of natural causes, and his son Eärnur as Steward, who eventually gave in to the Witch-King's taunts challenging him and rode into the Morgul Vale never to be seen again. With Eärnur gone and no heirs to the throne Mardil took up the leadership as Ruling Steward, until the King's return. Hirvegil turned his gaze west and saw the glint of the White Tower of Ecthelion in the morning sun. There still ruled the House of Húrin with Steward Denethor II as its head after so many years of hardship and decline. Gondor had known splendour under the Ruling Stewards from Húrin's line but those glorious days were long gone and Gondor was but a shadow of its former self. By the skin of their teeth they had fought off Sauron's hordes of Orcs and their many allies for many a year and it had taken its toll on the kingdom and it's ruling class. Hirvegil sighed at the folly and madness of Denethor II who sat prideful in his halls while when the Dúnedain had united they could've done wonderful things. Alas, the Arnorian thought after which he turned his gaze north. The wooded region of North Ithilien again gave way to a massive plain and a dark mountain range. There the rightful King stood defiantly against the Dark Lord, Hirvegil thought, the one who could unite all the Free Peoples against Sauron. He had received messages that King Elessar would soon start the assault on the Morannon and force his way into Mordor. Hirvegil's mind was troubled by this like a dark cloud looming overhead. In contemplation what this rise of worry could be he turned his gaze east where he saw the sky had grown dark. A broil of fume had been sent forth from Amon Amarth, the Mountain of Doom, to cover Ithilien in darkness. Hirvegil looked down and saw his camps were at full alert and he could hear horns on the northern wind answering one another. The enemy had come.

It was on the north side of the Rammas-dan-Morgul that the Orcs made their assault. Arfandil was responsible for the defence of the northern section and he was nervous but determined to drive the enemy back. He could hear horns coming from the south signaling Hirvegil had seen the Orc host as well and would be riding to his aid. It would take about two hours minimum for Hirvegil to reach his position, untill then he had to hold out. The Orcs were clever to try and force their way through at Arfandil's point. His army consisted mostly of Wildmen troops from Enedwaith, ill-equiped and lightly armoured. While he was arming himself, putting on his steel vambraces a scout arrived at his tent.

"M'lord, the Orcs are swarming across the plain." the scout said winded from his rapid journey. Arfandil fastened the last strap of his arm protecters before facing the scout, in his grey eyes a fire burned in compliance with his red hair. The scout was so taken aback by this he thought the wrath of the Gods themselves lived inside this man.

"Then let us be a great host and meet them without hesitation." the Dúnadan said, placing his round helmet on his head. All the fighting men were already rushing to the wall in case the Orcs began their assault immediatly. When Arfandil arrived, it seemed that worry had been unfounded and that the Orcs were content to jeer at the defenders. From the parapets Arfandil could see it was a great host of Orcs and hate burned in his heart for these wicked creatures. The standoff continued for a bit with neither side taking the initiative, it seemed as if the Orcs were waiting for something and indeed they had been. They first appeared as great shadows, slowly moving towards them. Large devices, too large to be operated by an orc or human. Then it hit Arfandil what the great shadows were. The machines were catapults not made for Man, but for Trolls.

Their walls were not reinforced enough to be able to withstand an assault like this. Arfandil ached to ride out and meet the Orcs on the field and crush them before they could do too much damage with their monstrous machines of war. But unlike his uncle Damrod, Arfandil had learned to counter his impetuousness with patience, a patience he had inherited from his father, Nirven. He was outnumbered by the Orcs and unlike Damrod or Hirvegil he did not have strong Dúnedain forces. Not to say the Wildmen weren't strong. They were ferocious in battle against the Orcs, their hate bitter and steadfast. The fact they were unarmoured and ill-equipped worked in their disadvantage. Scanning the field Arfandil could see many of the heavily armoured Uruks among the ranks of Mordor. He doubted many of the Wildmen had weapons that could easily slice through the Uruks' coat of mails. No he could not ride out and meet the enemy, not yet. He commanded someone to sound the signal of utmost urgency, three high short notes, to notify Hirvegil that speed was essential here. As the horn blared its notes of desperation into the dark sky the catapults started their fiery barrage. Boulders flew towards the Dúnedain's fortifications, some making contact with their target, in which case the wall trembled, to the horror of the troops on top of it, some flying overhead and exploding in sparks setting the camp behind them ablaze. Men rushed from the walls to put out the fires to prevent it from spreading and lay waste to the entire camp. Horns sounded and the Orcs began their assault, carrying makeshift ladders to climb the walls. Arfandil saw his disorganized men torn between saving their possessions and defending the wall. He quickly rallied his men, sending two companies back to deal with the fire while the rest was ushered back to the wall. His intuitive quick decisionmaking had probably saved them as the defenders only returned to the wall when the first Orc-head appeared over the parapets. With the heat of battle finally arrived the Wildmen's hearts were set ablaze and they threw themselves upon the Orcs. Arfandil ran across the wall aiding on the more dire sections, constantly encouraging his men to fight. It was not long before the enemy ceased their attack and pulled back, leaving their dead and dying comrades behind without remorse, for such is the Orc way. The young Dúnadan took a short time to regain his breath while he assessed the situation. The Orcs were retreating but had killed some of his men. The enemy catapults had made a couple of dents and cracks in the wall and one section looked like it could collapse at any moment. Arfandil quickly pulled his men from the unstable part of the wall and positioned them behind it, should the enemy try and break through it. He took a quick glance behind him and saw the fires were still burning among the tents but not spreading. They seemed to be under control. Very good, he thought bringing his mind back to the battle. The trolls were still targetting the damaged part of the wall and were preparing for the next volley when Arfandil saw a glint marking the arrival of something. Though the sky was pitch black, a single ray of sunlight had penetrated the fumes and had found the armour of none other than the Knights of Annúminas. Riding their heavily armoured horses, with their long hard lances in hand none could withstand their glorious charge. And glorious it was even under the gloom of this Shadow. The Trolls managed to fire of one more volley before the Knights plunged their lances into their throats.

One boulder flew over the defender's heads the other crashed into the weakened wall which finally collapsed. Orcs rushed over the rubble into the gap where they were met by the hardy fisherfolk of Enedwaith. Arfandil left the wall and led his retinue right into the heat of battle, his sword black with Orcish blood. He knew Hirvegil had arrived and the Orcs would have no way of escaping unless they broke through his defences. They had to hold the line only for a little bit longer. The fighting was hot, fierce and exhausting but the Orcs were ultimately driven back where they were hunted down by Hirvegil's fresh forces. Nearing the end of the battle, weary from fighting, Arfandil had slipped over a man's corpse. One of the retreating Orcs had seen him lying defenceless and thought himself quite the opportunist. Were it not for his vambraces he would've lost his hand to the savage Orcish blow. The Númenórean steel had absorbed most of the axe's blow but Arfandil knew his left underarm would be bruised if not broken. One of the Wildmen had slain the Orc and had helped him back on his feet. Arfandil had thanked the man and saw Hirvegil standing on the battlefield overlooking the slaughter of the fleeing Orcs. He sheathed his sword and walked towards his commander.

"Thank you for your timely arrival my Lord." he said inclining his head. Hirvegil turned to look at his compatriot and smiled.

"There's no need to stand on formalities, you may call me Hirvegil. My heart gladdens to see you unscathed my young friend." Arfandil smiled wryly, pain shooting from his arm to his shoulder, the adrenaline disappearing from his body. "I saw you go down from the wall to join the fierce fighting at the breach and feared you might be overwhelmed, but I can see now that you've performed admirably." Hirvegil said waving at the corpses of the Orcs. Arfandil inclined his head once more and thanked his commander. Hirvegil eyed the battlefield for any problems temporarly forgetting about the exhausted Dúnadan next to him. It was Arfandil himself that broke him from his reverie.

"If you would excuse me my L- I mean Hirvegil" he smiled, "but I must see to my men and start cleaning up the mess these rude Orcs have inflicted upon us." Hirvegil's kind eyes returned back to the young Dúnadan. "Very well," he chuckled at Arfandil's sense of humour, "I'll leave a couple of companies to help with the cleansing. For now I shall take my leave, I too have other business to attend to." he said pointing at the fleeing Orcs. "I invite you to my quarters tomorrow at noon so we may discuss the battle in full. Take care of yourself Arfandil." and with that Hirvegil left and began to organize his troops. Arfandil returned to his camp where he helped his men with piling up the Orcs' corpses and burning them. It was midday when they started burying their own dead digging a multitude of graves within the forests of Ithilien in the fashion of the Wildmen, scattered and stones adorning each individual grave, their deeds engraved upon it. The low sad voices of the Wildmen rising in song for their fallen comrades could be heard throughout the night but Arfandil took no heed of it for when night came his arm ached terribly and he felt so exhausted that, upon falling on his bed, he immediatly fell in a dreamless sleep.

Author's note
    A little history on the last Kings of Gondor. By the time Eärnur, the last, came to power the Royal House of Gondor had already been decimated by war and disease. To understand Eärnur's story we must go back in time to the reign of King Ondoher. During his reign, Gondor was attacked from both the South and the East in the year 1944 T.A (Third Age). A two-pronged attack from the Haradrim and the Wainriders (a tribe of Easterlings). Ondoher split his army in two with himself and his firstborn son Artamir in command of the northern army and Eärnil, a distant relative to the King and father to Eärnur, in command of the southern army. Ondoher's other son, Faramir, was kept safe in Minas Anor to act as regent, as was custom for the second in line to inherit to stay behind should disaster happen. That way a undisputed heir was kept safe. Ondoher rode out to meet the Wainriders on the field of Dagorlad but had made a bad assessment on how fast the enemy could move. He, his son Artamir and his entire vanguard were completely taken unawares and were butchered. Minohtar, the nephew of Ondoher tried to organize a orderly retreat to minimize casualties when disaster struck. Faramir had been found dead among the Éothéod allies of Gondor riding with them into battle, not wanting to be left behind. Its leader brought the body of Faramir to Minohtar who was soon overwhelmed as well and killed. Eärnil however had won a tremendous victory over the Haradrim near the Poros river in Southern Ithilien and rushed north after hearing of the disaster that had occured. Marching through Ithilien he gathered the scattered forces of the Northern Army and assaulted the feasting Easterlings, who thought all Gondor's forces were defeated and celebrated the coming destruction of its kingdom. Eärnil won another great victory and most of the Wainriders died during the slaughter or drowned in the Dead Marches in their retreat.

Some important details to note here are the following. Prior to this engagement, in 1936 of the Third Age, Ondoher and Araphant, King of Arthedain (what was left of Arnor, the Angmar War was reaching its end at this point in time) had made a pact and strengthened the bonds between the Northern en Southern Dúnedain kingdoms. This was sealed with the marriage of Fíriel, daughter of Ondoher, and Arvedui, son of Araphant and Prince of Arthedain in 1940 T.A. When Ondoher and his close relatives died, Arvedui tried to stake his claim to the throne of Gondor. One, because he was a direct descendant of Isildur, the Last High King of both Arnor and Gondor, stating that Isildur never gave up his royal claim to the Kingdom. Second, because according to Númenórean law the crown should go to his wife Fíriel her being the last living child of Ondoher. The Council of Gondor, led by Steward Pelendur denied these claims and instead crowned the victorious general Eärnil their King, him being from the line of Anárion and a local hero. Thus Eärnil became King of Gondor in 1945 T.A. and after his death his son Eärnur. Eärnil proved to be a wise and good King and when he received a message from Arvedui in 1973 T.A., then King of Arthedain, that Angmar was about to launch its final assault against him, he sent his son Eärnur North but too late. In 1974 T.A. the Witch-King took Fornost and Arvedui fled north into the cold lands of Forochel where he drowned and with him died the last king of Arnor. His son Aranarth became the first Chieftain of the Dúnedain. Eärnur arrived in Mithlond in 1975 T.A and together with Círdan, with forces from Lindon, and Glorfindel, with forces from Rivendell, they defeated the Witch-King at Fornost. Eärnur wanted to fight him personally but his horse would not comply, afeared of the Witch-King's dread aura. The Witch-King mocked and jeered at Eärnur for his supposed cowardness but soon fled before the might of Glorfindel. Eärnur wanted to pursue but Glorfindel halted him and said these prophetic words.

"Do not pursue him! He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall."
    ― Glorfindel
    Eärnur held a particalur grudge towards the leader of the Nazgûl and this was his downfall. Upon his coronation in 2043 T.A. the Witch-King challenged him to a duel, reminding him of his shameful display in the North, and were it not for the counsel of his Steward Mardil he would've accepted. Seven years later the Witch-King renewed his challenge and Eärnur in his hate could not be swayed again. Before he left he placed his crown on his father's lap in the Houses of the Dead. Eärnur rode to Minas Morgul and was never seen again. None know what became of him, if he really did fight the Witch-King, if he was captured tortured and killed or faced an even worser fate. Eärnur left no heir to the throne and rather than risk another civil war Mardil became the first Ruling Steward until the King returned, who eventually did. Aragorn, sixteenth Chieftain of the Dúnedain of the North, direct descendant of Isildur and descendant from Anárion through Fíriel's marriage to Arvedui, would receive Eärnur's crown from Faramir almost a thousand years after Eärnur's disappearance, and become King Aragorn II, Elessar, of the Reunited Kingdom.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; March 19, 2020 at 04:49 AM. Reason: minor changes/Fixed some spelling mistakes

Default Re: To earn a Kingdom: A Northern Dúnedain Narrative - Divide and Conquer V2.1 [UPDATE - 08/03/2019]

I just do not like Orcs and this simply confirms my bias. A very good tale all on it's own. A great update to the 2nd book of your AAR.

That certainly is a glorious charge, and a timely one! I wonder if we'll see more of Arfandil.