Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR) [Updated December 28th]

Default Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR) [Updated December 28th]

Old Gods' Last Stronghold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoverPhoto.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	366122

Ahoy, all members! While my username might suggest some hint towards me being a flat earther, I can assure you that I am not. Vaccinated too against multiple viruses and diseases probably, since everyone is talking about it too. With that introduction out of the way, left me humbly make my return to the TWCenter forums with my new AAR set in medieval pagan state of Lithuania, proud state to honor their gods instead of succumbing to Christian one. I haven't written stories for quite some time now (although lot of scientific stuff, including my master's thesis), so I thought, why not to give it a go and make a return for it. Any sort of feedback is much appreciated

I have been the fan of the TW series since I got to know Rome TW, but M2TW became my favourite game. And its great mods, like SS and TA are both phenonmenal achievements. I still enjoy playing these mods, when work kills and I need some relaxation, while keeping brain active. With that being said, lets go!

Campaign settings:

• Faction: Lithuania
    • Start year: 1100
    • Turns: 6 months per turn
    • Difficulty: Hard/Hard
    • Manage all settlements: On
    • Battle time limit: Off
    • Trade resource values are doubled
    • Population growth due to trade is halved

Last edited by EarthFlatter; December 28, 2021 at 08:27 AM.

Default Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR) [Updated December 1st]

Prologue – The gods are watching

June 1100.

Emergent Lithuanian state and her people, who strongly believe in the old gods, just as did Scandinavians before or as do others in anywhere else in the world. But Lithuania is unique. Surrounded by Christians (both Roman Catholics and Eastern orthodox), the young pagan state seems to be at the three-way crossroads – either choose one of the Christian factions or stay true to their pagan ways and potentially die trying. If they do not choose themselves, it will be chosen for them – as the holy man, who Catholics know as the pope, sees them as heathen and need to be converted into Christianity. With the cost of blood, if the situation requires. But Lithuanian Grand Duke Butigeidis, now an old man, says no to Christianity and is a strong supporter of the old ways.

Name:	Vilnius.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	366130

This is Vilnius. Our only bastion, my people’s only hope to survive. The dreams I had as a young man to rule the vast kingdom, an empire, are now up to my only son and grandson to carry them on. But Vilnius is a proud castle, the stronghold of our famous mounted archers, something which westerns are strangers to, but something we got from the east. One of the last settlements, where all pagans can come to in peace, without being labeled as heathen by others and ready to be executed by just denouncing „the only God“. This is Vilnius, a proud home for us all and the birthplace of the greater Lithuanian state.

Name:	Algimantas.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	366131

This is my son and future Grand Duke, Algimantas. A hopeful commander, ready to carry his duty as the next leader of Lithuania and make my dreams a reality. His army is capable to show the world that we are the force reckon with and no man will bring us some weird cross, which supposedly is the holiest of them all. We have our ways, our beliefs. Algimantis will see this through, once I pass away. I am sure of it. Man in his prime – ready to conquer and give his wisdom to his son and for the future generations of great Mindaugas’ family.

Name:	Jovridas.jpg 
Views:	75 
ID:	366132

Name:	Margiris.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	366133

These are my trusty servants – Jovridas and Margiris. Jovridas are my eyes and ears both inside and out of Vilnius, providing me necessary information about potential enemies, where they might strike us, or where we should put pressure on ourselves next, to expand and succeed. I just hope he does not turn against me while serving.

Margiris is my priest, overseeing the pagan rituals and providing the people their religious needs, however, he faces a daunting task – to prevent Christianity takeover, as all our neighbors are all Christians, which for my people seem only inevitability that we should convert to. But I and Margiris both say „NAY!“ The Pope is not my god or my holy man. We have GODS and they protect us.

Name:	Butigeidis.jpg 
Views:	69 
ID:	366134

And this is me, Butigeidis, the Grand Duke and now 62-year old man, who is in his twilight years, but I do feel that I still have a few good years left and can do a bit of fighting still, all these rebel towns nearby – Hrodna, Mensk, Riga, Reval. They shall all be Lithuania one day. Maybe I will see the day, where old gods smile upon us, once the Baltics are united. I just hope that Lithuania does not die with me. The gods are watching.

Indeed, the gods are watching and seeing, how their neighbors of Poland, Duchy of Kyiv, and Novgorod all eye to take on weak Lithuania. Or at least that is what surrounding Christian states are thinking. Lithuania should and will prove all of them wrong. You shall see soon enough.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR)

Welcome to TWC, this is a great start!

I hope that the old gods will help Lithuania's heroes to claim those rebel towns - and that Prince Algimantas will make the Grand Duke proud.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

A most excellent beginning! Welcome, and please go on, I'm looking forward to this.

Icon1 Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR) [Updated on 6th December]

Episode 1 – A new emergence

July 1101.

Name:	EP1_01_Pagan68.jpg 
Views:	62 
ID:	366189

Paganism in Lithuania has been fragile religion and Margiris alone is not very convincing in his mission to make the people believe that in one day proud pagan state will be the great force to reckon with. But people are smarter than this. The expansion will not go unnoticed by the Pope in Rome, who then surely would consider calling the Crusade against Lithuania and its people. While believing to be a holy man amongst mortals, he is also somewhat corrupt, when it comes to spilling blood. Putting words and arrows into other Catholics is a great sin, but to others, it is completely fine. As they are lesser beings. However, Butigeidis insists on expanding, as it is their only chance to survive amongst potential enemies. Yet, he has a plan. Partially already in progress, in the winter Vilnius finished preparing new lands for farming, winters are harsh in the north, they’ll need all the food, they can get.

Name:	EP1_02_FirstDevOp.jpg 
Views:	62 
ID:	366188

July 25th, 1101, Butigeidis’ Journal

I ordered my son Algimantas to besiege the town of Mensk, week’s march east of Vilnius, while I take my forces to siege Hrodna, which is west from Vilnius. My spy has told me that both are independent and owned by rebel clan, so I decided to make a quick move and Launch two invasions at once, but we prepared for the long haul, rather than make an offensive towards their walls. Let us starve them out and see, how desperate they are. But we need these towns, as they provide an extra source of economy, as current reports show deep deficit and our coffers are emptying fast. But I have a plan. Reportedly neighbors are trying to strike a trading deal. I gave officials orders to sell these deals, not just give them for free. That should provide relief long enough before Mensk and Hrodna are taken.

The year 1101 turned 1102 and Vilnius’ constructors finished their lumber camp, which helps with future constructions to become more efficient. But also, as winter ended, the snow melted, Hrodna’s rebels ran out of food and in last desperation sallied out to meet Butigeidis’ army. While fairly equal in manpower, Grand Duke’s forces had cavalry archers on his side to rain swift death upon rebel’s garrison.

Name:	EP1_03_SiegeOfHrodna.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	366187

June 30, 1102, Butigeidis' Journal

Almost two years now of besieging this cursed town, but they are stubborn and out of food. And yet, they want to fight. Fine, they shall have one!

„Everyone! To that high ground behind you!“, I ordered

„WHUUU!,“ Everyone shouted. With courage to do their duty to her state. To serve their leader.

„Archers, when you see the opportunity, release the rain of death upon them! Lure them into a trap, they’ll surely take notice! Split them and I’ll take care of them!“

Name:	EP1_04_Skirmish.jpg 
Views:	64 
ID:	366186

And it worked. Rebels captain ordered two of his infantry units to chase down my cavalry archers, but little did he think that they’ll be shut down before they even reach these horses. And much to their surprise…

„CHARGE!!“

Name:	EP1_05_KingsCharge.jpg 
Views:	65 
ID:	366185

I ordered my bodyguard to charge into enemies battalion from the side, they routed immediately. And archers could continue pouring more sharp rain upon enemies, while my spearmen bravely held against enemies arrows on their own. Soon after, they surrendered and Hrodna was ours. They were a little match. Outfought by my excellent cavalry archers.

Name:	EP1_06_HrodnaWin.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	970.1 KB 
ID:	366190

Algimantas’ Chronicle, August 1, 1102

Rebels of Mensk surrendered the town, they knew very well, apart from their Hrodna counterparts, that fighting against superior force is in va
    in and leads only to their deaths. Our efforts were also noticed by the council, who decided to donate us 2000 gold pieces for our success. This sum comes in handy for the future. Of course, some of it goes to the soldiers as a reward for their service. As an heir to the throne, I hope that my father will be pleased with my success. Though I have to send out scouts. There are rumors that now we are bordering with Novgorod and they have quite a bit of force near the border. That rumor has to be either confirmed or rejected. If needs be, I’ll lead the scouts myself.

Name:	EP1_07_MenskSurren_der.jpg 
Views:	68 
ID:	366191

Soon after, the Grand Duke announced his degree, which said the following:

Grand Duke’s Degree No XVII

By the order of Butigeidis, the Grand Duke of Lithuania,
    the following shall be declared:

1) Price of trade rights – 1500 gold pieces

2) Map information – 150 gold pieces per province

If there is potential for the Alliance, diplomats have the authority to

reduce before mentioned prices up to 50%.
    Furthermore, selling map information to neighbors is strongly
    disallowed, to prevent giving the enemy potential intel.

Signed by – Butigeidis, the Grand Duke

Another year passed and 1103 had arrived. With that also third-in-line, Rimdaugas came of age. He finished his studies and is now ready to serve his country. Young hopeful man, who one day leads this great pagan state and surely understands that struggle for land, power, and right to keep their beliefs will cause lots of wars, but Lithuania stands strong against all, who dare to threaten them. Rimdaugas knows this.

Name:	EP1_10_RimdaugasMarriage.jpg 
Views:	68 
ID:	366194

Soon after, Rimdaugas also married, but during the wedding, disturbing news arrived from Hrodna…
    Last edited by EarthFlatter; December 11, 2021 at 05:51 PM.

Artifex

An excellent start, long live Lithuania! They really are one of the most stylish factions in SS.

Before taking a screenshot, try to un-select the unit in view to get rid of the green markings, it does a lot for the immersion. Not always easy to make time for in the middle of a hectic battle, I know... Since the story is partly told from a first person perspective, how about playing the battles with a generals camera, for a more personal perspective? It works well enough in the field so long as there aren't any steep mountains.

Maybe it would be useful to put the chapters in spoilers? As they pile up the pages are going to be pretty long to scroll through to reach the latest.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    An excellent start, long live Lithuania! They really are one of the most stylish factions in SS.

Before taking a screenshot, try to un-select the unit in view to get rid of the green markings, it does a lot for the immersion. Not always easy to make time for in the middle of a hectic battle, I know... Since the story is partly told from a first person perspective, how about playing the battles with a generals camera, for a more personal perspective? It works well enough in the field so long as there aren't any steep mountains.

Maybe it would be useful to put the chapters in spoilers? As they pile up the pages are going to be pretty long to scroll through to reach the latest.

First of all, thank you for the kind words and useful feedback. I will take it into consideration. When it comes to chapters, then my idea is as plenty of AARs do have - hyperlink the chapters in first post, though I can't edit my posts yet, because I recall that I need to make at least 25 posts in the forums to get the edit ability here. It seems that the rule still stands today.

Very nice start! I agree with Maltacus, Lithuania is a very aesthetic faction! (Just look at that coat of arms!)
    Lithuania is always in a very interesting position - if I remember correctly they aren't necessarily endangered by their neighbours in early-game but mid game can get a bit rougher if one doesn't prepare properly. Enemies eventually pile-up. (or maybe I'm just bad at diplomacy)

A small hint if you want to have some cinematic screenshots for battles: Save their replay, then take the screenshots when you watch them again. That way you only have the map as a UI element, giving you more space. Though your pictures are perfectly fine, its a nice way to show how you army is doing during the battle!

Good chapter! It sounds like the decisive commanders and cavalry archers will enable Lithuania to prevail against their enemies. I'm intrigued about the news from Hrodna - maybe another is rebellion being planned, or perhaps another faction is plotting an attack on Lithuania?

Default Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR)

Episode 2 – Rebellion, Diplomacy & Youth

May 22, 1103

While Rimdaugas had his wedding party going on for the third day, one of the villagers is running to Vilnius, visibly tired and hungry, but the guards do not care.

„Guards, let me in, I have urgent news from Hrodna!“,
    says the villager, visibly in panic.

„Why should you be let in?! You are just a peasant!“,
    answers one of the guards aggressively.

„But Hrodna is rebelling and are mustering forces against the liege’s rule!“,
    responds the villager quickly.

„Get the lord! Quick!“,
    and one of the guards is running like they would do it for their own lives. But that could not be an overstatement. While new conquests have stabilized Lithuania’s economy, then internal turmoil still stands. Paganism is not well-received, new territories still tend to hold anger against their new rulers, and Butigeidis himself is old, which does raise the question if he can fight against the rebels before it becomes a full-scale revolution.

Name:	EP2_12_HrodnaRebels.jpg 
Views:	53 
ID:	366228

June 10, 1104

Rebellion in Hrodna is growing and it has come to a point when rebels managed to raise a small army against Butigeidis’ rule. Grand Duke ignored the rebellion in the first place and thought it would die down eventually. His hopes were on the fact that Hrodna is now Lithuania and will stay that way. But the hope backfired Butigeidis and the rebelling army is just a day’s march away from the town itself.

„Jonas, get the men together near the gates! We are marching against the rebels!“

„Yes, my Duke!“,
    replied Jonas. He was Grand Duke’s quartermaster, in charge of gathering the army under Butigeidis’ command, if the need arises. He was the 36-year old man, a very capable fighter himself, and gladly fought the battles alongside the Duke. He also commands one of the spearmen battalions and has the respect of his men. While he is popular, but he is also very loyal to the Grand Duke.

June 11, 1104, Butigeidis’ Journal

Damned rebels, but also damn me hoping for the best. Nothing changed in Hrodna since the takeover, even with me residing in this accursed town for the last two years in the hopes of the people seeing me as their leader. But not all see that. Some self-proclaimed general raised forces against my rule and now I take the small garrison I have kept with me in Hrodna. Hopefully, this force is enough to quell the rebellion, as I am writing these words. Speaking of words – their camp is just a few kilometers east of here. I plan to march tomorrow towards their camp and dispose of them on the battlefield. May the gods be with us.

Name:	EP2_13_RebelsRun.jpg 
Size:	694.8 KB 
ID:	366229

They ran. They just ran after a short fight, though I did lose a few good men, some even from my bodyguard, as some axemen decided to untie themselves from our spears and side charge us instead surprisingly. But clear, swift victory and rebellion crushed.

Indeed, the Grand Duke swiftly got rid of the rebellious knaves and gave them good lesson from now on, if someone does not like Lithuania's rule in their province or in general in Lithuania. To prevent that, Rimdaugas was tasked improve capital's military capabilities in order to at least lessen the chance of rebels gathering men and making army out of woodsmen. Just to prevent needless death in their own populace, as good men could be drafted into Lithuanian army itself.

Name:	EP2_14_VilniusGarrison.jpg 
Views:	57 
ID:	366230

Rimdaugas’ Chronicle, June 15, 1104

I’m just a teenager, but already I overlook the developments in our proud capital, Vilnius. The new garrison just got finished a few days ago and it definitely will increase our military capabilities for the future, as we are surrounded by multiple enemies. We need all the technologies, we can get our hands on and increase our capacity for infantry training, as it is our backbone.
    With that being said and our new facility completed, I will now move to meet my father somewhere on the way to Mensk, not in the town itself, but roughly halfway there, so I could get back faster and start the Northern expansion plan. It's time for me to receive my heir crown, to confirm my status as third-in-line for the throne. I am ready for it.

Name:	EP2_15_ThirdInLine.jpg 
Views:	54 
ID:	366231

Four days later, on June 19th, Rimdaugas met his father and heir to the throne, Algimantis. And on that very day, on the border between Vilnius and Mensk provinces, Rimdaugas got the heir crown to confirm him as third-in-line for the Lithuanian throne. No fancy rituals or festivals, as times were dire. Algimantis had to keep guard on the eastern border and scout out potential Novgorodian activities, while Rimdaugas hurried back to Vilnius to see, how its improved barracks was performing. And prepare its already garrisoned army to march north, towards Riga, another rebel clan held town. Strategically important too, as capturing it would give access to the seas.

Name:	EP2_17_NovgorodTrade.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	729.4 KB 
ID:	366232

But out of nowhere, the Novgorodian princess appeared at the gates in Hrodna and requested Grand Duke’s audience. She offered a trade agreement between the states, but Butigeidis in his mind knew, that this agreement will not last for a very long time, even if he does not see this himself. But he agreed as it would give the economical means to improve Lithuania’s capabilities even further and win time. In times of peace, one has to prepare for war. The world is watching.

Name:	EP2_18_RimdaugasKid.jpg 
ID:	366227

Rimdaugas’ Chronicle, December 15th, 1104

My wife just gave birth to a sweet little daughter, Milda. While not eligible for the throne, she still is a very good addition to our royal family. She will have her important duties in the future, diplomatically, and if needed, in an also seductive way. Men are always weak for beautiful princesses.
    However, I can’t stay here for long to see my daughter grow. My mission now is to take Riga and give our proud state access to the seas, what she so much needs. This is what I must do, to preserve us and one day take over the dukehood of Lithuania.

Name:	EP2_19_ExpeditionToRiga.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	366233

Three days later, Rimdaugas left Vilnius with his detachment. While not a massive army, it still is (at least to scouting reports) strong enough to take on Riga’s garrison forces. As matter of fact, most of it was suddenly found on the Lithuanian northern border. Rimdaugas seized his chance to hasten his troops to catch them, as he had a couple of battalions of famous Lithuanian horse archers with him, who are suited more for open battles than sieges. He knew that knocking that force out in the open would mean swift conquest of Riga…

Last edited by EarthFlatter; December 11, 2021 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    Very nice start! I agree with Maltacus, Lithuania is a very aesthetic faction! (Just look at that coat of arms!)
    Lithuania is always in a very interesting position - if I remember correctly they aren't necessarily endangered by their neighbours in early-game but mid game can get a bit rougher if one doesn't prepare properly. Enemies eventually pile-up. (or maybe I'm just bad at diplomacy)

A small hint if you want to have some cinematic screenshots for battles: Save their replay, then take the screenshots when you watch them again. That way you only have the map as a UI element, giving you more space. Though your pictures are perfectly fine, its a nice way to show how you army is doing during the battle!

Thank you for the feedback, although it might take couple of episodes to go into effect, as I am writing in advance at this point But new stories are coming soon and hopefully better!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good chapter! It sounds like the decisive commanders and cavalry archers will enable Lithuania to prevail against their enemies. I'm intrigued about the news from Hrodna - maybe another is rebellion being planned, or perhaps another faction is plotting an attack on Lithuania?
    Or ambush in the forests...who knows?

Default Re: Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR) [Updated December 11th]

Good update, I like the way that you include journal entries (providing the immediacy of first-person narration). A trade agreement, even if it's temporary, and an attack to secure a sea-port, sound like good strategic moves for Lithuania.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR) [Updated December 11th]

Allow me to also welcome you back to TWC! A pagan Lithuania is a fan favourite since time immemorial. It's been a long time since I played SS myself but it calls to me many great memories.

It looks like the new state of Lithuania is facing some opposition from the conquered peoples. Let's hope Rimdaugas' campaign for Riga is succesful. It would be a shame for him to die just after becoming a father.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Allow me to also welcome you back to TWC! A pagan Lithuania is a fan favourite since time immemorial. It's been a long time since I played SS myself but it calls to me many great memories.

It looks like the new state of Lithuania is facing some opposition from the conquered peoples. Let's hope Rimdaugas' campaign for Riga is succesful. It would be a shame for him to die just after becoming a father.
    Let's wait and see, if he is successful But indeed, Lithuania's paganism is not liked at all, to be fair.

Episode 3 – To the north

Spring 1105.

Name:	EP03_Dievas.jpg 
Views:	32 
ID:	366268

Vilnius finally finished its first temple, dedicated to Dievas, their supreme god, above of them all. A fit one to choose for Lithuania’s capital and its people. It will give the strength and belief in the people that they can stand against those Christians surrounding them. However, the situation with new conquests is still dire. Mensk is predominantly orthodox and its people take their new pagan leaders with distinctive anger and rebellious-like attitude. New conquests need temples and soon. Not for only Lithuania’s sake, but also the people, as religious strife can destroy entire empires when left unattended. New temples would also allow increasing the number of priests in the state.

Name:	EP03_OldDuke.jpg 
Views:	32 
ID:	366269

April 29, 1105, Butigeidis’ Journal

The bones of a 67-year old man are heavy and weak. These are the bones of Grand Duke of Lithuania, Butigeidis. The man, who I used to be, but now I feel that I am just an old man, who can barely lift the weight of his sword. The very same weapon used to defend my home from external enemies, the same weapon used to protect our beliefs and truths. It seems that my time starts to run out, as I can’t carry out my duties as a general on the battlefield. My descendants will have to live up to my dreams and hopes and give their children a better place. A better Lithuania, what they inherited.

But I can be happy with the progress. New territories, towns, riches – this is what Lithuania needs, wants, and has to have to cement its place in this world as a power to consider amongst our neighbors and everyone else. Including that man in Rome, who deems himself god-like. Maybe for Catholics, but not here. We have no man-gods, only gods we believe in. Our gods did not have to be raised from the dead to be believed in. Our gods are gods for their deeds. We will carry their legacy on. Amongst them, my family and my people.

Throughout the entire year, Rimdaugas chased Riga’s rebel forces across Lithuania’s northern border. One day they were there, another day somewhere else, but always managed to escape from Rimdaugas somehow and he grew frustrated. But suddenly, on December 12th, 1105…

„Rebel forces are just hour’s march west from our camp, my lord!“, said the scout, who found the enemy nearby.

„Prepare the forces, we march! Prepare for the fight we hoped for!!“, Rimdaugas replied and soon after gave his officers the orders to assemble the battalions to move against the rebels to the field, which now is known as the site of „Battle of the Latvian Plains“. Rebels had no idea of their proximity to Rimdaugas’ forces until it was too late. They had no escape anymore, they had to fight. Against overwhelming odds.

Name:	EP03_LatvianPlains.jpg 
Views:	31 
ID:	366270

As Rimdaugas had locked in Riga’s rebel forces and had also high ground, it was his chance to prove to his father and grandfather that he is a capable commander. He had devised an idea, how to provoke rebels into offensive action.

„Cavalry archers, move forward and fire at will!“

Rimdaugas’ gamble was successful. Rebels decided to charge towards his forces foolishly enough not to see in their berserk actions that they are fighting against an overwhelmingly superior enemy. But it did not stop the rebel captain. He went on with the charge, even if near-certain death was breathing down his neck.

Name:	EP03_Plains03.jpg 
Views:	29 
ID:	366271

But Rimdaugas enjoyed the sight. Rebels recklessly approaching he said:

„Look at these fools! They are reckless and disorganized! Hold the line and kill them all!“

Before rebels even reached Lithuanian infantry lines, a substantial part of their forces was pinned down by mounted archers, leaving them even weaker.

„Hold, hold, HOOOOLD! We are stronger than them, we are Lithuania!“,
    said Rimdaugas to his forces.

Name:	EP03_Plains04.jpg 
Views:	30 
ID:	366272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EP03_Plains05.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1,009.3 KB 
ID:	366273

As rebels clashed into Lithuanian lines, it felt like a brick wall. Charge not too much of an effect and defensive spearmen did quick numbers against rebels. This was especially apparent regarding units charging towards cavalry archers. As they were charged towards to, raining arrows to care of the business before rebels even got near archers.
    Outfought, outgunned, and seeing their captains death on the battlefield, rebels broke and started running, escaping for their very own lives. Easy victory for Rimdaugas, decisive defeat for Riga’s rebels, leaving the town’s gates wide open to march in from.

Name:	EP03_Plains06.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	888.1 KB 
ID:	366274

„Look at these peasants! Barely fighters, but willing to throw their lives away. MEN, STAND DOWN! Let them run off, they won’t return any time soon!“, said Rimdaugas.

He was right. At least temporarily, but rebels for the moment scattered. Yet, Rimdaugas has proven that he can lead. Or can he, these wins came against incoherent rebel forces, and in the eyes of the people, Rimdaugas is still unproven, but it can be changed. Although he had few thoughts about this.

Rimdaugas’ Chronicle, April 29th, 1105

Damned rebels were cunning, damned rebels! Cowards I say, COWARDS! But they do not live for long and luck turned against them. Thanks to my scouts we got them and destroyed them, leaving Riga wide open to take. But the effort to catch that shadowing force in the first place was too much, so I decided to give my troops a little rest before advancing to Riga.

But what of me? Am I prepared enough to take the reigns in the future, am I ready for my grandfather’s and father’s legacy? My grandfather is already old and sick in Hrodna, my father is busy in the eastern provinces and I was left in charge of the northern parts of Lithuania. But my fights have been against the rebels only, and small detachments. What if one day I have to face a formidable force coming across the sea, east or south? Am I ready to command hordes of Lithuanian brave soldiers, who are ready to die protecting their beliefs and convictions? Am I ready to lead them all as one, both the armies and the people? These are the questions for grown men, not for young teenagers like me. Yet, here I am thinking about it, as father’s only son and third-in-line for the throne, which now is more or less cemented, as I got the heir crown to solidify my claim to the throne. By the time I ascend, I hope I am strong enough to lead Lithuanian people to even greater glory. To lead our people as one, protecting our gods from so-called „the rightful one“. This or death at best. Worse case is forced conversion or slavery, butchery, and heretic trials against us. Anyway, I rest a bit. Tomorrow we march for Riga.

Rimdaugas had cast doubts about his abilities to lead, command and conquer. But he knew he had to overcome them. His father and grandfather are his inspirations and continue to do so, as they are strong men with deep convictions that Lithuania will be a great power in the future.

If already the writer here mentioned Butigeidis, then it has been gone under the radar that a few years ago the Grand Duke managed to partially secure his western flank by allying with Poland. He did have his doubts due to obvious religious differences, but another option was to fight wars on two fronts, risking the collapse of Lithuania altogether. Yes, no major wars yet, but Grand Duke knew that peace with Novgorod will not last. The question is, will he see that peace breaking apart?

Default Re: Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR) [Updated December 18th]

Episode 4 – The shores of the Baltic Sea

Early Summer, 1106.

After the decisive win against Zemgalian rebels in the battle of the Latvian plains, Rimdaugas advanced his few battalions towards Riga at a pretense that the town had left behind a very small garrison of militia spears. He was right. His scouts confirmed that Riga only had one battalion of makeshift militia spearmen inside and Rimdaugas seized the chance to besiege the town. However, he had no artillery with his forces, therefore they had to prepare for the long siege and divide the tasks – building rams, gathering supplies from surrounding areas, and setting watches to catch potential surprise night attacks. Or potentially starve out the garrison, though Rimdaugas had no intentions of doing so, he was convinced that his forces were overwhelming enough to assault Riga and win the siege.

Name:	EP04_01_SiegeofRiga.jpg 
Views:	20 
ID:	366307

Rimdaugas’ Chronicle, June 12th, 1106

Riga, there you are. While the small and village-like town, then it does possess a lot of potential to become a bustling city and strategic location for Lithuania. It does provide access to the seas, which we need. Yet, that will attract the attention of the Danes across the sea, who see us as heathens and do not hesitate to draw swords against us. But that is not the concern for now. At this moment we need to expand, gather strength and consolidate our position in the region. Father’s massive diplomatic win, and surprising to be fair, was the alliance with Poland, who themselves are Catholics, but this secures our western flank for the time being and helps us to concentrate our attention to east and south, while not overstretching front lines.

But now to the task at hand – to take Riga by force. We need to stay here longer and prepare our forces to be ready for the assault. Two battalions construct battering rams, one battalion gathers supplies to sustain the siege and one battalion keeps night watch to prevent sally out during darkness. We are not going to exhaust them and my men but take offensive action as soon as rams are ready to batter down the gates and take control of the town. I ordered my quartermaster Jaugaila to oversee and be in charge of these operations, he will report directly to me if everything is set to go ahead. Hopefully, this win gives me some credit in front of the Grand Duke and the people, as I am set to lead them in the future.

Name:	EP04_02_Riga01.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	874.4 KB 
ID:	366308

After some setbacks – mainly hunger and small disease, Rimdaugas’ forces were ready to strike in late November. Although Rimdaugas ordered to build two rams, in case one should break down, then there was no need for it in reality, as the only unit inside the walls took their stand in the center square. Nevertheless, Rimdaugas lined up both rams, just in case. The plan was to ram down the gates, then send mounted archers close to spearmen, shoot them down. These deadly ranged units were accompanied by Rimdaugas himself to provide melee combat if it became necessary. And axemen, who operate the rams, were to position themselves in front of the broken gate.

Name:	EP04_03_Riga02.jpg 
Size:	933.0 KB 
ID:	366309

BATTERING RAM, FORWARD! DESTROY THE GATES!,
    ordered Rimdaugas. The assault had begun. As soon as rams started to bring the gates down he shouted: „Cavalry archers, to the walls!!“, and Rimdaugas joined the mounted archers’ marching orders himself to the walls. As rams are quite slow to breach, Rimdaugas had few moments to think by himself: „Should send the archers in front of the square and let them shoot to provoke the garrison moving out of there? I think so. That should work just fine.“

Name:	EP04_04_Riga03.jpg 
ID:	366310

As soon as he finished his thought, gates were br
    eached, and cavalry archers with Rimdaugas’ bodyguard breezed through, just stopping at the base of the center square hill. Soon after, he ordered his archers to ascend, while staying at the base of the hill, while ram unit made their way through the gates themselves to block it off, as the shooting provocating might make the last stand to take rash action engaging the axemen instead of escaping.

Name:	EP04_06_Riga05.jpg 
Size:	961.9 KB 
ID:	366311

Archers rained death upon brave rebels, but the latter was not too much of a match, but they still tried to chase them down, as Rimdaugas had hoped for. But instead of waiting any longer, he gave the rebels a way to rashly move against axemen, who before broke the gates. And his gamble was successful.

Name:	EP04_08_Riga07.jpg 
Size:	922.1 KB 
ID:	366312

Once rebels engaged the axemen at the gates, Rimdaugas trapped them and charged from behind, breaking them. As expected, his win was complete with very minimal losses. Riga was brought under Lithuania’s rule with swift assault.
    „Messengers! Send word of our victory across Lithuania. Tell all of the people that our proud state has gained access to the seas, where bigger riches await us! Make sure Grand Duke hears this first!“, said Rimdaugas. „Yes, my lord!“, replied one of the messengers as they went on their way to spread the word of Rimdaugas’ success in Riga. Lithuania had a fourth province under its rule.

Name:	EP04_10_FourthInLine.jpg 
ID:	366313

Lithuania’s new territory was blessed with relative peace. To add more joy to the proud state, Rimdaugas’ wife gave birth to his second child, a son. His name would be Narimantas and he also is now in line for the throne, as being the eldest son of Rimdaugas. Although it was not as flowers, suns and blue skies, as initially nobles thought it to be.

Name:	EP04_09_PolishNovgorod.jpg 
Views:	18 
ID:	366314

As spy Jovridas made his way towards Novgorodian lands to keep a close eye on their forces and movements, he noticed the Polish diplomat entering the town of Polotsk. Poland, allies of Lithuania at this point still possessed the upper hand, in case the war would break loose. So did Novgorod, but Lithuania saw them as enemies rather sooner than later, as their way to expansion covers Lithuanian lands themselves.

Jovridas’ Reports, April 20th, 1107

I have seen our „dear“ allies representative entering Polotsk, which today is Novgorodian town. As my Grand Duke tasked me to keep watch for their forces, movements and potentially uncover their plans of expansions, mainly trying to answer the question of if and when they might attempt to invade our precious lands and people. However, seeing a Polish diplomat entering into Polotsk requires me to find out more. Most importantly trying to figure out, if they are trying to form a secret alliance and force us to fight against both of these Christian nations at the same time. That would be extremely stressful on our resources and capabilities. I have to send a message to the Grand Duke immediately and warn him about this. And keep continuing my mission of uncovering Novgorod’s plans. Probably sooner than later, otherwise there is a chance to surprise us, putting us at a very difficult position.

Regardless of Jovridas’ worrying sights and reports prepared for the aging Butigeidis, 1107 was relatively peaceful in Lithuania. No major events happened – Rimdaugas was Riga, overseeing his new conquest and looking around, what could be done in the future, to develop this small town into a bustling trading coastal city and becoming a major port to host future naval forces.

Name:	EP04_11_Temples.jpg 
Size:	1,018.9 KB 
ID:	366315

The only notable event was the completion of temples in Mensk and Hrodna, dedicated to Giltine and Perkunas, respectively. These small temples should start providing morale boosts for the civilian populace of Lithuania and help the ruling family to keep true to their pagan gods.

Algimantas’ Chronicle, July 21st, 1107

Lithuania is starting to thrive, but my father’s health is starting to fail. As much as I would like to see him witness further expansion of our proud state, it is soon time to face the reality – the Grand Duke is dying. His age, sickness, and being barely able to command, it's soon me, who has to take over the throne and see my homeland grow, its people thrive, and eliminate our enemies and threats. Both internal and external. It is I, who has to carry the legacy, give the lessons to my son, Rimdaugas, third-in-line for the throne and keep the stability. While we have been successful in bringing new territories under our control, but when this expansion crosses the critical point, when others will see us as a threat and eliminate us? Poland is now our ally, but I do not expect this to hold very long, as they see us as heathens, peasants, and sinful, as we do not bow to their God, as they name him.

A bigger threat lies to our east – the Novgorod Republic. Though there are still a few rebels provinces up for grabs, these provinces are not endless and sooner or later we start taking each other's lives. I presume it is going to happen rather sooner, as they also see us as heathens and want to expand their seafront further. But we are on their way and we shall stay on their way. These Novgorodians shall not take one inch of our precious land. If needs be, we fill it with their blood. And later their lands too. This is our sacred duty as rulers of Lithuania, to preserve us, our beliefs, and the legends of our gods. FOR THE GODS! FOR LITHUANIA!

Unlike 1107, the next year would be everything else, but not peaceful.

Name:	EP04_12_MenskRebels.jpg 
ID:	366316

Mensk had an uprising insurgence, potentially to be supported by neighboring rebel provinces and in a surprising turn of events, Rimdaugas instead decided to march his forces in early spring of 1108 towards castle Twangste, not Reval. Who knows, what is his reasoning behind this, but Reval was put on hold in Lithuania’s expansionist plans, and potentially give casus belli to the Danes instead. But time will tell, what these events will spiral to…

Default Re: Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR) [Updated December 28th]

Ahoy, fellow readers and writes! Sorry for the bit longer delay, but as usual it was (and sort of still is) holiday season Hope you had nice Christmas and will enjoy these last few days of 2021!

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: Old Gods' Last Stronghold (Lithuania SS6.4 AAR) [Updated December 28th]

Firstly, a belated Merry Christmas to yourself, and a coming happy New Year!

Secondly, a splendid progression and I'm invested to see how events do play out, oh yes...

One thing I will say is that the term 'battalion' takes me out of things somewhat, and is probably just a personal gripe, but 'modern' military terms... eh, just rub me the wrong way.

All-in-all, please write more.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A belated Merry Christmas and, hopefully, a Happy New Year from me as well!

Steady progress indeed. Lithuania grows but the vultures are on the doorstep. With the Grand Duke soon to die, who knows what chaos the land will be plunged into?
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; December 29, 2021 at 02:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast