Page 80 of 82 FirstFirst ... 305570717273747576777879808182 LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1622

Thread: Free Speech in the UK

Default Re: Free Speech in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    @Ludicus They literally met in 2012 https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politi...ndraising/amp/
    An excellent source, with the best possible photo and video quality.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    @Ludicus They literally met in 2012 https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politi...ndraising/amp/
    Even Rabin knew well the intricacies of politics- enemy/terrorist today, tomorrow's friend... Are all Muslims potential terrorists, Aexodus? do you agree with H.H? your silence speaks volumes.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Raed Salah is someone Corbyn has defended in a Morning Star article, among other things. That’s what we mean by connections to anti semites.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

You said that all Muslims are potential terrorists, without exception. That's pretty offensive for our Muslim residents.
    Depends on how seriously they take it. I'm sorry, but if you believe in what Quran says is true, then you are condoning violence against specific groups.
    As for them being offended - good. Being offended is good for the person that is offended. Makes people think.

Another advert banned by the jobsworth clowns at the regulator.

Blog Entries

Lol what? They banned it because there were no women? Come on.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

That's what you get from taking feminist-, gender- and PC-crap seriously... Massive and unbothered moronity...

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    That's what you get from taking feminist-, gender- and PC-crap seriously... Massive and unbothered moronity...

- A
    Absolutely. What we need is a return to the 'good old days' when women were second class citizens and confined to the kitchen, where LGBTQ+ people were routinely beaten and persecuted, and when casual racism ruled the roost... </sarcasm>

Because allowing commercials which target a male audience is the moral equivalent of sending women back to the kitchen?
    Last edited by Cope; January 31, 2020 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Because allowing commercials which target a male audience is the moral equivalent of sending women back to the kitchen?
    No. That's not what I said at all. Congratulations for missing the point in a truly spectacular way. Bravo. Really...

I was satirically inferring that if the OP gets his wish and "feminist-, gender- and PC-crap" he hates so much is removed from society then that is what would happen. Rolling back a century or more of feminism will only see women returned to being second class citizens. Something I'm sure far-right incels salivate over...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    No. That's not what I said at all. Congratulations for missing the point in a truly spectacular way. Bravo. Really...

I was satirically inferring that if the OP gets his wish and "feminist-, gender- and PC-crap" he hates so much is removed from society then that is what would happen. Rolling back a century or more of feminism will only see women returned to being second class citizens. Something I'm sure far-right incels salivate over...
    Settle down.

We're discussing the English advertising regulator having banned a computer commercial for only featuring men. There's no reason to go Julie Bindel on us.

Settle down.

We're discussing the English advertising regulator having banned a computer commercial for only featuring men. There's no reason to go Julie Bindel on us.
    While I'm sure you meant it as a slur (what is about white male conservatives that means they have to hate feminists?), I actually wish there were more people like Julie Bindel. Her tireless campaigning against sexual violence is very admirable and a step in the right direction.

Nevertheless, the point I'm trying to make is that acting upon boring, tabloid-style tropes like "PC gone mad", "Gender crap" & "femiNAZIS" will only end up in people being persecuted. Look, making society equal doesn't mean that you lose any rights. No-one is coming to your home to force you to wear a dress or kiss another man. It just means that other people now get to have the same rights and place in society that white males have enjoyed since the dawn of time. If it means that punching downwards is now frowned upon, then Boo ing Hoo...

Will people get everything right all the time? No. Of course not. Banning that advert might be a wrong decision, but I'd rather live in a society where we care about the feelings of others than airing horrible 70's style casual bigotry.
    Last edited by TheLeft; January 31, 2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling

While I'm sure you meant it as a slur (what is about white male conservatives that means they have to hate feminists?), I actually wish there were more people like Julie Bindel. Her tireless campaigning against sexual violence is very admirable and a step in the right direction.

Nevertheless, the point I'm trying to make is that acting upon boring, tabloid-style tropes like "PC gone mad", "Gender crap" & "femiNAZIS" will only end up in people being persecuted. Look, making society equal doesn't mean that you lose any rights. No-one is coming to your home to force you to wear a dress or kiss another man. It just means that other people now get to have the same rights and place in society that white males have enjoyed since the dawn of time. If it means that punching downwards is now frowned upon, then Boo ing Hoo...

Will people get everything right all the time? No. Of course not. Banning that advert might be a wrong decision, but I'd rather live in a society where we care about the feelings of others than airing horrible 70's style casual bigotry.
    Well at least we got there in the end.

Well at least we got there in the end.
    Amusing that actually caring about the feelings of other people sends conservatives into a frothing rage...

Don't worry I'm sure someone, somewhere has a copy of the "Black and White Minstrel Show" on VHS you can borrow, and you can all wistfully long to live in the past along with all the other conservatives...

Himster's Avatar Praeses

It just means that other people now get to have the same rights and place in society that white males have enjoyed since the dawn of time. If it means that punching downwards is now frowned upon, then Boo ing Hoo...
    "Frowned upon"?
    That's an interesting choice of words. Things that are frowned upon are like putting one's elbows on the dinner table or wearing white socks with a dark suit. What is being talked about here are people losing their jobs, being censored, being black-listed, getting fined and getting arrested for making jokes/comments/statements that don't conform to the orthodoxy of those in power. A slightly different from being frowned upon.

I'd rather live in a society where people have the chance to act politely without such heavy handed coercion.
    If the higher echelons of society is determined to force people to act in a certain way in lieu of acting authentically they will fail by definition and will, infact, create a movement determined to act in the opposite way, thus ruining all of the hard won progress that was bloodily paid for over the last several generations. Even if they succeed, which they won't, it will be a hollow victory, people will act out their designs like fear-fuelled automatons rather than beings with genuine a desire to do good.

No matter how lofty the ends may be, these means are unjustifiable, whatever the fruits of these labours might be, they are all poisoned now. It doesn't matter if you're right-wing, a leftist, a liberal, a libertarian, a conservative or an anarchist.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

"Frowned upon"?
    That's an interesting choice of words. Things that are frowned upon are like putting one's elbows on the dinner table or wearing white socks with a dark suit. What is being talked about here are people losing their jobs, being censored, being black-listed, getting fined and getting arrested for making jokes/comments/statements that don't conform to the orthodoxy of those in power. A slightly different from being frowned upon.
    Apologies, I was using a classic English understatement. Probably didn't translate well on the internet.

But nevertheless, as I said earlier Boo *** Hoo. Racist and sexist jokes are now deemed to be out of line. Cry me a river. You just have to try not to victimise others for your own personal kicks. It'll be tricky, but I think you can probably manage it.

I'd rather live in a society where people have the chance to act politely without such heavy handed coercion.
    If the higher echelons of society is determined to force people to act in a certain way in lieu of acting authentically they will fail by definition and will, infact, create a movement determined to act in the opposite way, thus ruining all of the hard won progress that was bloodily paid for over the last several generations. Even if they succeed, which they won't, it will be a hollow victory, people will act out their designs like fear-fuelled automatons rather than beings with genuine a desire to do good.

No matter how lofty the ends may be, these means are unjustifiable, whatever the fruits of these labours might be, they are all poisoned now. It doesn't matter if you're right-wing, a leftist, a liberal, a libertarian, a conservative or an anarchist.
    So we should abandon all attempts at creating a fair and equal society because a few bigots many disagree with the idea? That's daft. Some people need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Some people were against banning slavery and giving women the vote, but it was done and now we don't look back. This is exactly the same thing. If the idea of gay people getting married or Trans Rights sends some people into a temper tantrum, then tough titties...

Himster's Avatar Praeses

But nevertheless, as I said earlier Boo *** Hoo. Racist and sexist jokes are now deemed to be out of line. Cry me a river.
    You do understand that when you cross the line into the realm of legislating thought crime, you can't come back from that?

You just have to try not to victimise others for your own personal kicks. It'll be tricky, but I think you can probably manage it.
    It's the nature of a human group to have the "other" and that "other" will be laughed at. This has always been the case and always will be.
    No amount of artifice or legislation can truly overcome nature, it can obfuscate it and in some sense corrupt it.

When you've had your fun with all of your witch hunts and your two minutes hate, yelling at Goldstein and so on... what goes around, comes around: The mechanisms of prosecuting those who deviate from the orthodox thought will remain, but those in power will change and the mouse will chase the cat. All of those former allies that you hunted and drove into the arms of right wing ideologies will now hunt you, energised by righteous vengeance. Then you'll hunt them and round and round it'll go.

So we should abandon all attempts at creating a fair and equal society because a few bigots many disagree with the idea?
    No, we should create a fair and equal society. Political correctness, at best, retards that process and at worse is the primary phenomenon fuelling its reversal.
    Eliminating/taming political correctness is essential if we are to achieve a lasting fair and equal society.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

In regards to post:1988, 1990, 1992, 1994 and 1996... I think, I will just repeat what I already said previously - as (I think) it applies in full to mentioned posts as well. So without further ado - my full response to it all is (yet again)...

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post

In the world of lefties and PC-nuts... Of course it is! Totally so! Yup...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; February 01, 2020 at 04:00 AM. Reason: details!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft
    I can assure you, the OP also wants an equal and free society. Freedom of speech for everyone is an important part of an equal society.

Do you think sexist langauge violates people’s fundamental human rights?

A. You just have to try not to victimise others for your own personal kicks. It'll be tricky, but I think you can probably manage it.
    So, others should try not to do exactly what you are doing. I take it that it is too tricky for you to manage...