Page 50 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2540414243444546474849505152535455565758596075 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1622

Thread: Free Speech in the UK

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Free Speech in the UK

Gulf monarchies have better ties with the American government than UK government

Probably, but nature of ties is different. The American ties to Gulf are of purely pragmatic geopolitical nature, where US stations its troops on their land, and in exchange looks the other way when inbred "kings" fund terrorist groups that fly planes into buildings.
    You don't see American politicians allowing Saudi-sponsored imams preach violence or pocket politicians criminalizing criticism of Islam like it is in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Rowan Atkinson is a comedian Boris Johnson is not. As a comedian you must have free pass to satyrise whoever you want and be judged by the public. But Boris could be the next prime minister. Its not the same thing.
    What should happen to Boris Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    What should happen to Boris Johnson?
    He should be condemned for his rhetoric

He should be condemned for his rhetoric
    Are you condemning him?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it’s real Islamophobic to write an entire newpaper piece opposing a Burka ban.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Are you condemning him?
    I am not member of the UK conservative party but i am glad that Theresa May denounced what Boris Johnson said. Rhetoric that wants to divide UK society among sectarian lines should not exist on politics

I am not member of the UK conservative party but i am glad that Theresa May denounced what Boris Johnson said.
    I did not ask what party you were a member of. I asked if you condemned him.

Quote Originally Posted by Papay
    As a comedian you must have free pass to satyrise whoever you want and be judged by the public.
    Are you saying that comedians should have more extensive rights to free speech than other people?

I did not ask what party you were a member of. I asked if you condemned him.

I am against of what he said. So someone could say that I "condemned" him. Irrelevant either way since I am not even British

Are you saying that comedians should have more extensive rights to free speech than other people?
    A comedian cannot be taken seriously(what he says is for laughs). A politician though is a public figure that what he says must be taken seriously

I am against of what he said. So someone could say that I "condemned" him. Irrelevant either way since I am not even British
    I did not ask what "someone" could say. I asked if you condemn him.

A comedian cannot be taken seriously(what he says is for laughs). A politician though is a public figure that what he says must be taken seriously
    Disputable. Also not an answer. I asked if you are saying that a comedian should have more extensive rights to free speech than other people.

Both of these questions are very simple and straightforward.

Blog Entries

Well not really. Anyone living in the UK knows not to take Boris that seriously. But I’d like to know how joking that burqas, a tool to repress women, look like letterboxes really divides the UK along sectarian lines.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

In reality it doesn't because the vast majority of the population simply do not care about people who wear burkas. Even within the muslim population its a rarity.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...acts-factcheck

So rare that we have no reliable figures for the UK population but in France out of approx 2 million muslims, 2k wore a burka or niqab. So something like 0.1% of the muslim population. In the UK assuming the figures are the same, you get approx 0.0044% of the population. So rare it makes transgenders seem common.

Note he wasn't arguing against the headscarf or general covering but of complete and total coverage going far beyond what Islam requires.

Blog Entries

53% of the country thinks he shouldn’t face disciplinary action by the party, it would be interesting to know how that figure breaks down by party. And there’s actually a number of Muslims who have come out in support of him.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

About free speech in UK I found this video by Rowan Atkinson about Reform of Section 5 of Public Order Act (in my opinion the perfect Fascist Law):

This should be appreciated by those who remember the Count Dankula travesty from some months back.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-activist.html

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Warning to UK users, what follows may trigger in you such emotions as to possibly damage your eternal soul.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    UK police arrest six men over burning of Grenfell Tower effigy

London police arrested six men over a video showing a cardboard model of Grenfell Tower being burned - an act condemned by bereaved families and survivors of the apartment-block blaze that killed 71 people.

British police arrested six men after a video was posted on the internet showing men laughing and mocking the deadly Grenfell Tower blaze.

They were released on Tuesday, but remain under investigation, according to a police statement.

Or if you find that your soul isn't eternally damaged and you might have even chuckled for a second, for god's sake don't tell anyone, you might be arrested too.
    Last edited by Big War Bird; November 07, 2018 at 11:33 AM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    Warning to UK users, what follows may trigger in you such emotions as to possibly damage your eternal soul.

Or if you find that your soul isn't eternally damaged and you might have even chuckled for a second, for god's sake don't tell anyone, you might be arrested too.
    They where not arrested for burning an effigy of the tower, they where arrested for the racist braying while they burned it.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Why would I chuckle at people making fun a fire that killed what 70 people injured many others swept away the possessions of so many. Sharing on line seems to trend into hate speech given their comments. On balance I not sure any great suppression of free speech. Some people are just to stupid to keep what at best is repulsively poor taste to themselves. In any case the arrest was based on the intent of sharing, not the act had remained private.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    They where not arrested for burning an effigy of the tower, they where arrested for the racist braying while they burned it.
    "Racism" seems to be a very tired buzzword especially when it is being liberally applied to things thta have nothing to do with concept of race. Did the video contain direct calls for immediate violent action? I don't think so. Then it should fall under free speech.
    But yeah, something must be done about British government which is goose-stepping towards Orwellian authoritarianism at an alarming pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    Why on earth would anyone laugh at a bunch of racist scumbags mocking the tragic deaths of 71 people? Qs someone has already mentioned, they were arrested for their yelling racist troll comments.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 09, 2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Personal.