Thread: Playing RP, bad idea ?

Default Playing RP, bad idea ?

So I started a campaign (first campaign with DEI) with Rome with the idea to play RP (to be a bit historical), meaning don't expand at all cost all the time (except if I have a general with 3 of ambition or it seems necessary for the survival of Rome). For instance, to end the war with Epirus I sacked the city instead of capturing it. Because of that, I had a very slow expansion. I waited 10 years after I took Italia to take Sicily. Now I'm in -251 (turn 100+) and I still don't have any other territory (to be honest there was another campaign in Greece, but it failed because it wasn't really the smartest thing to do, but I still did it for RP reasons, and the AI made a lot of really stupid decisions to me, it was really strange). I made an defensive alliance with an another faction and I just discovered that they expanded a hell lot ( https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers...sans-titre.png ).

So now I'm wondering if it was a bad idea to play RP and if I'm too way behind the other factions ?

Senktris's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Playing RP, bad idea ?

RP isn't a "bad idea", in my opinion it has just been a mistake to wait for THAT long - I mean, look at the other empires and then at yours. This is going to be real fun to turn around... you might want to take this as a challenge!

It`s perfectly fine.

I always like to RP at least a little bit.
    And yes, that DOES cost me campaigns from time to time...

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Not a bad idea at all, I reckon. The only mistake you've made was to neglect to have a good overview of the situation around you and, as a result, you let other factions expand too much.

If I were to RP in my campaign I would normally stick to my territories, but then at the same time I would also actively use the diplomacy and a vast network of spies to control other factions around me, and should they grow too powerful I would then engage in some preventive campaigns against them, just to drive them back to where they came from.
    Last edited by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~; March 18, 2018 at 03:23 AM.

Pretty much as seleukos said above. Campaigns are more fun if you rp at least some of the time but certain faction in DeI can expand quite strongly (Basileon Oddryssos always) and then if you have good relations with some faction its tough to turn to betray them as the later in campaign it is usually difficult to build good relations again. If you can get military access and make sure some baggage trains are in your armies marching to the far borders of Massilia or going into Anatolia might be possible but you definitely need to see more of what is going on in the map to know where to try for.

The fog of war in TW on campaign map is a bit weird- Romans might not know some tribe in upper Germany attacking another tribe but they would certainly know of Thracians or any Mediterranean state expanding rapidly. Send spies or get some trade partners to see more of the map, that is totally realistic as most of the time Mediterranean states had a good idea what others were doing even pretty far away if they traded with high volume into the Mediterranean or bordered states that did.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Not a bad idea at all, I reckon. The only mistake you've made was to neglect to have a good overview of the situation around you and, as a result, you let other factions expand too much.

If I were to RP in my campaign I would normally stick to my territories, but then at the same time I would also actively use the diplomacy and a vast network of spies to control other factions around me, and should they grow too powerful I would then engage in some preventive campaigns against them, just to drive them back to where they came from.
    Yeap. Good points indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Pretty much as seleukos said above. Campaigns are more fun if you rp at least some of the time but certain faction in DeI can expand quite strongly (Basileon Oddryssos always).
    Thracian dogs...they're doing it all the time.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 18, 2018 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Yeap. Good points indeed.

Thracian dogs...they're doing it all the time.

Thats racist "+ 1 Sin"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyso3 View Post
    Thats racist "+ 1 Sin"
    Guilty concerning the Thracians.

Play how you want. The Romans are a super strong faction and you Latium is huge money maker. The only concern with playing RP with the current settings is that tech and building/growth will be insane for the year you are in. You should consider getting the more turns per year and slower building/research time if you want to play the long game.

Anyways you can still easily beat the barbarians with your legions. I almost never need a full stack fighting stacks, unless its a greek faction or maybe carthage.

Centenarius

Some of the excellent submods available really add to the RP experience, in particular Cultural Tension, Peace Treaty Script, Historical Reform Dates (be patient!), True Legions for True Romans and others. Give some of them a try to get the perfect mix for your RP play style.
    Last edited by Fluke; March 19, 2018 at 11:09 AM.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Guilty concerning the Thracians.
    Easy now. Or my avatar will ride you down, uppity Hellene.

Role playing is always the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Easy now. Or my avatar will ride you down, uppity Hellene.

Role playing is always the way to go.
    Don't role-play me buddy. I was playing Ultima before I could walk.