Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making unit cards with MilkShape3D and GIMP 2

Icon5 Making unit cards with MilkShape3D and GIMP 2

I've recently decided to start a project dear to my heart: to redo the unit cards of EBII (not that I dislike the current ones, but more because of an obsession for uniformity and polishing close to OCD). Here are some of the cards I've made for the Carthaginian roster:
    They're quite dark I agree, but I don't know if it's possible to bring some lightning with MilkShape 3D so if someone knows how to correct this, it would be much appreciated. However, the main reason of the thread is to learn how to combine mounted units. I didn't try yet, but I suspect some subtleties so advice and tips are more than welcome! One last thing, I've a problem with archer units: the middle of the bowtring remains in the initial position when I move the joints. Does anyone have an idea regarding this issue?

Default Re: Making unit cards with MilkShape3D and GIMP 2

They look pretty good. Just beware of this particular task - the last person who set themselves the job of overhauling them burned himself out.

I don't know much about the mechanics of doing it, but Genghis Skhan and Kull have done a lot with it recently.

PS: I will correct the position of the arm of the Libyan Swordsman so it matches the one of the Caetrati.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    They look pretty good. Just beware of this particular task - the last person who set themselves the job of overhauling them burned himself out.

I don't know much about the mechanics of doing it, but Genghis Skhan and Kull have done a lot with it recently.
    I realize it's a pretty tedious task, but fortunately, if I have no artistic talent whatsoever, I'm very resilient at repetitive tasks so it should be fine.

Do you mean they're working on new unit cards currently?

Sneak peek of the Koinon Hellenon overhaul:

Are you planning to do a full set of cards for each faction? Or just one card per unit (based on the most likely faction or something)?

It's the sheer volume required to do every combination of unit and faction that was the killer when someone attempted it last time. No one is working on new cards right now, besides getting something in place for the new units.

In the end, I'd like to make a full set of cards by faction, but I'll start by replacing all the current ones. I'm already saving several versions of each unit I make. I'd also like to have one colour code by faction to emphasize the difference between them, but I don't know if the variety textures will allow it.

Added some thureos and thracian units to KH. Note that the picture doesn't reflect my actual progression because there are lots of combinations for other factions that aren't shown here.

However, I'm still struggling with archer units and mounted ones.

These unit cards are beautiful. I really like the uniformity in stance.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Green is the color for Epeiros:

I couldn't find a good pose for the phalangitai (the sarissa messes with the view) that's why they're not here.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Nice work there, keep it up! +rep
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

I also have an uniformity obssession lol and they look great I would make use of them for sure I think unit cards should always have a natural rest stance like those, even archers, I don't get why everyone makes archers firing lol (even CA)
    Last edited by MagusCaligula; March 21, 2018 at 06:10 PM.

Tiro

Another obsessed for uniformity ( toon sizes, positions, etc) here. You got a pretty dam good job there mister. Keep them comming. Quintus if were you ( one EB Team member) i would prolly be baiting him to finish the work and add him to Team, or at least to ask him permission to add as many cards as he wants to do to next release.

Regards:

melvidh

PD: Umhh just a detail... could you please move the number of amount of mens a little bit so the 1xx of the hundred isnt on the spear handle?
    Last edited by melvidh; March 24, 2018 at 02:28 PM.

Sorry I didn't make any updates recently but I was too absorbed by the reading of Serge Lancel's Hannibal and overdosing on a new game, but it's finished now. =)

Quote Originally Posted by melvidh View Post
    PD: Umhh just a detail... could you please move the number of amount of mens a little bit so the 1xx of the hundred isnt on the spear handle?
    Actually, the "1" is somehow a marker for me. Besides, if I move the spear to the left, it will be weirdly too close to the border and if I move it to the right, I'm afraid there won't be much of the shields to see anymore. I could change the position of the arm but I'd need to find new markers then. However, if other people feel like you, I could make the effort.

Back to work with the Seleucids:

With an alternative for the Hypaspistai:

Quote Originally Posted by Assurancetourix View Post
    Back to work with the Seleucids:

With an alternative for the Hypaspistai:

Hot. I prefer the first option. Looks more "Seleucid".

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Amazing work! I really like your UI cards.

I prefer the second option. It adds more variety for Seleukid UI cards. Also I think itīs hard to tell what looked more “Seleukid” in 272 BC for Hypaspistai

Back to work after a week in Colorado. Here are some new cards for the Nabateans:

Keep up the great work, unit cards are often disregarded but I believe they add a lot to immersion. It was the first thing I disliked in Rome II when I've seen first images...

Made some progress with the Lougiones:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast