Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: New Campaign pack for R2! :)

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default New Campaign pack for R2! :)

Hope Welsch Dragon won´t mind, but new toy demands new thread.

According to new blog post - what the teams are working on - Spring 2018 - https://www.totalwar.com/blog/wttwo-03-18

HISTORICAL NEW CONTENT TEAM – CAMPAIGN NEXT:

With the successful release of Desert Kingdoms and Empire Divided, ROME II has come a long way, but there’s more action and free content to come yet. One big win has been the reduction of players who have problems with mods crashing their game, by creating roll back builds for those who want to use older mods, and the new mod filter for those that want to play new content without forgetting old mods may still be enabled and might cause issues.

We’ve also looked at all of the fan feedback from Empire Divided through to Desert Kingdoms and feel we have a good understanding of things we need to address in the next content release for ROME II. We plan to line this up with the next campaign pack that we feel will be a fresh take on campaign packs for ROME II as well as a very exciting feature for the Free-LC that will release alongside it.
    So we can expect new FLC (family tree?) new fixes AND new Campaign pack. I have already stated a few times I would love to see either Alexander´s new adventures or Diadochi wars! My old post: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15529472

I hope to finally get little shifted campaign map. Hopefully expansion into Central Asia/India so the center of gravity for map is not around Rome What I hope for is down with some info feel free to correct me or expand. I have in mind two scenarios, either Alexander is not dying so young and second is screw it and let´s fight over his divided empire..

But slapping Alexanders´s name on a game is good move for selling it. Let´s face it,
    an average person probably knows him. And it could be done right. Just expand map more into the east to India, Central Asia and allow him not to die so soon. He was probably lucky to die before an bigger problems could arise....internal struggles. And question is, what would happen if Carthage of Rome were quicker to develop or if Alexander decided to go west...

If the conflict is similar to Warht of Sparta then yes, it will be linear. But if they add Like Carthage/Rome to the west, some more central Asia and India then there will be plenty of enemies all around :-)

Or switch game into Diadochi wars. Many factions, many conflicts.. 322-275 BC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Diadochi

We can even have Rome in western part with Second Samnite War (326-304 BC.), Third Samnite War (298-290 BC.), Gauls/Etruscans (285-282 BC.),Pyrrhic War (280-275 BC.) ...and we have even Carthage around as the next
    Roman war is First Punic War ;-) For me it is one of best possible TW settings. Lot options...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

PS: I honestly hope for as many fixes and improvements as possible so our dear @eXistenZ is finally happy. And please this is no joke or attacking really wish him to be happy with R2 again!
    Last edited by Daruwind; March 17, 2018 at 02:26 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: New Campaign pack for R2! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Hope Welsch Dragon won´t mind, but new toy demands new thread.
    No problem. I meant to do one, but got sidetracked.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Good news, indeed
    I was afraid that Rome II would follow the same fate that Empire Total War did, i.e., a game with good potential forgotten in my game library because of bugs and bad design decisions. So, I'm glad that CA is still updating Rome II. This game has the potential to become one of the best games ever made and I will buy the new DCL's to support this cause.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

A new campaign sounds interesting.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Really good news. More bug fixes and free content.

Not only a new campaign but a fresh take on a campaign pack

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

Family tree and raze mechanic???

Aye, and while I'm hoping it is the diadoch wars, i think with what CA is developing right now **cough cough** thrones of Britannia **cough cough* i think it'll be more centred around the conquest of Britain or the Boudicca's revolt!

But that's just a theory....
    A GAME- okay i'll stop now.

HAH, a german dream come true. Burning down London even as Boudicca.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I want to see Bronze Age Campaign.

I hope this campaign pack adds new music like they did with the TK for WII.

And new battle MAPS! I WANT MORE! SIEGE MAPS MORE!

I also expect family tree to come as part of this 'new exciting' FLC.

I would prefer a population mechanic like POR II instead of a family tree as FLC.

Can't wait to here more.

Alexander or succesors!! In the official forums there's a lot of people asking for it aswell, we would do good if we go there and make our voiced be heared guys. I certainly went since Patch 18 and started being more active all around the different threads. CA even replied to me and fixed a bug I pin pointed at certain point with patch 18.

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

We already have population mechanics with mods, we can’t get a family tree with them though that’s some CA has to do

I, Claudius's Avatar Foederatus

My vote is for one of the following 3:

1st choice- Mithradatic wars...young Pompeii, Spartacus, Sulla and of course The Poison King himself.
    2nd place- Trajan vs Dacia
    3rd-The German wars

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Most people's predictions have been wrong, regarding DLCs.

Very few saw Empire Divided happening.

CA should just stop the marketing suspense rubbish and just announce what they'll be releasing as soon as they know, so then we can learn if we have time to finish a campaign before their latest DLC and *sic* 'patch' wrecks our game.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Arrrgh! View Post

CA should just stop the marketing suspense rubbish and just announce what they'll be releasing as soon as they know...
    I agree - it'd also give the community more time to prepare new or existing mods for them.
    Last edited by Benjin; March 16, 2018 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Typo
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Unless I am missing something, 1st Punic War seems almost identical with the original start of the game (272 B.C.). Diadochi also don't look very probable. Not many are aware of the existence of Perdiccas, Craterus and Peucestas. It would be much more profitable to use the same map for an Alexander campaign, whose protagonist is universally famous. This is why Alexander is the strongest candidate, in my opinion, although that was my guess for Empire Divided as well, and I failed spectacularly. I think it depends on how many resources CA is willing to dedicate to the campaign. I suspect that CA preferred the 3rd century crisis, because it required much less work, being based on an almost exact copy of Imperator Augustus' map and only needing some small additions for the unit rosters. On the contrary, when CA decided to rush an Alexander campaign for Rome I, the result was probably the most laughable TW game released, where the main antagonist was usually practically unbeatable (it was impossible to conquer the last Persian province in India). I hope CA takes its time, if their project is that ambitious. Still, I would be really surprised if Claudius and Trajan in Dacia are chosen. Essentially, Boudicca is completely unknown, an quite justifiably so, to be honest, to everyone outside the British Isles.

CA should just stop the marketing suspense rubbish and just announce what they'll be releasing as soon as they know, so then we can learn if we have time to finish a campaign before their latest DLC and *sic* 'patch' wrecks our game
    I so agree with this, especially the teaser stuff. It's such a hackneyed waste of time and resources.

Here's a request for the next patch: a toggle for unit fading. It's kind of dropped off the radar as an issue on various forums, but it's probably the one major gripe I have left with R2. The scale-able UI has made the unit cards tolerable, and the addition of guard mode and various other patches have made it a pretty solid game now. Just the unit fading is still annoying.

edit: case in point

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Theramines; March 16, 2018 at 08:48 PM.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Arrrgh! View Post

CA should just stop the marketing suspense rubbish and just announce what they'll be releasing as soon as they know, so then we can learn if we have time to finish a campaign before their latest DLC and *sic* 'patch' wrecks our game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    I agree - it'd also give the community more time to prepare new or existing mods for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post

I so agree with this, especially the teaser stuff. It's such a hackneyed waste of time and resources.
    I agree that solid information is often better than vague statements. Though I'd also say vague statements is better than nothing, and it does lead to speculating, which can be a lot of fun and gets a buzz going about a game or update.

But in this case I don't even think it's really about a marketing decision to tease people. I think it's really just a case of doing a piece about what all the teams are working on, but some of those teams (Historical New Content aka CA Sofia, and Fantasy Team,) not being in a position to say much yet. So I figure it went something like this:

Grace: "Hey CA Sofia, what are you guys doing?"

CA Sofia: "Well we're working on a great new campaign and patch for Rome 2, but we're not quite ready to start talking about it publically yet."

Grace: "Okay, well I'm putting together a new 'What The Teams Are Working On' Blog post, so what can we tell them?"

CA Sofia: "Well we're happy with the way the mod filter is helping people to sort out mod related problems, so we can talk a bit about that. We also want people to know we've listening to their feedback and so we have some idea what changes they'd like us to make. Oh and we've got some ideas how to make this campaign different to the other ones in Rome 2, but we can't say more because it's not all finalised, made and tested yet. Will that do?"

Grace: "Sure. It's more than the Fantasy Team gave me anyway. "

(My apologies to Grace and CA Sofia for the terrible impressions. )

I'd also say that another reason they are vague sometimes and don't announce what they know they are doing as soon as they know it is it's too big a risk. Any comment made by CA is taken as a rock solid guarantee by some, but things in life are by no means certain. You only have to look at the problems they're having with Mortal Empires and Norsca over on the Warhammer side to see that unexpected problems do happen, and things can sometimes go horribly wrong.

Let's say this week they had announced an Alexander campaign with Legendary Lords style heroic characters, and, I don't know, an army painter free update, and a release date of 1st August. But we're still probably talking 4 solid months of development time between now and then (final month being testing and minor bug fixes.) Things may not go as planned. What if in development and testing they discover the army painter causes serious crashes, and is basically unworkable? What if they decide that the Legendary Lords really don't fit after all? What if the focus shifts to a broader scope than just Alexander? What if they have to delay release till September? etc. Lots of things can and will happen in the intervening months.

But because they announced the specifics so early they've basically locked into decisions that may have proven to be totally wrong for this update during development and testing. Or they'll end up taking a hit in unhappy fans and bad PR if they have to change things, which in the long run hurts everyone CA and players alike.

Long story short, CA tells us when they're ready to tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    Here's a request for the next patch: a toggle for unit fading. It's kind of dropped off the radar as an issue on various forums, but it's probably the one major gripe I have left with R2. The scale-able UI has made the unit cards tolerable, and the addition of guard mode and various other patches have made it a pretty solid game now. Just the unit fading is still annoying.

edit: case in point
    Oh god yes. Unit fading is to me a fix for an issue that's worse than the issue it's supposed to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Unless I am missing something, 1st Punic War seems almost identical with the original start of the game (272 B.C.). Diadochi also don't look very probable. Not many are aware of the existence of Perdiccas, Craterus and Peucestas. It would be much more profitable to use the same map for an Alexander campaign, whose protagonist is universally famous. This is why Alexander is the strongest candidate, in my opinion, although that was my guess for Empire Divided as well, and I failed spectacularly. I think it depends on how many resources CA is willing to dedicate to the campaign. I suspect that CA preferred the 3rd century crisis, because it required much less work, being based on an almost exact copy of Imperator Augustus' map and only needing some small additions for the unit rosters. On the contrary, when CA decided to rush an Alexander campaign for Rome I, the result was probably the most laughable TW game released, where the main antagonist was usually practically unbeatable (it was impossible to conquer the last Persian province in India). I hope CA takes its time, if their project is that ambitious. Still, I would be really surprised if Claudius and Trajan in Dacia are chosen. Essentially, Boudicca is completely unknown, an quite justifiably so, to be honest, to everyone outside the British Isles.
    Between Grand Campaign and Hannibal at the Gates I think Punic Wars have rather been done, unless there's some big difference to the 1st Punic War that makes it different enough to warrant specific coverage. I agree Diadochi War isn't that well known, though I think having it as a late game development of an Alexander focused campaign might work. Rome 1's Alexander is probably the worst Total War I've played in my view, and even Brian Blessed narrating couldn't keep my interest. As for Boudicca, fair enough. Every country has it's legends and historical greats, most of which don't tend to cross the national or cultural divide. So while many could tell you of King Arthur, and I'm familiar with Britain's legends (being British,) I couldn't name one for many countries.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    Between Grand Campaign and Hannibal at the Gates I think Punic Wars have rather been done, unless there's some big difference to the 1st Punic War that makes it different enough to warrant specific coverage. I agree Diadochi War isn't that well known, though I think having it as a late game development of an Alexander focused campaign might work. Rome 1's Alexander is probably the worst Total War I've played in my view, and even Brian Blessed narrating couldn't keep my interest. As for Boudicca, fair enough. Every country has it's legends and historical greats, most of which don't tend to cross the national or cultural divide. So while many could tell you of King Arthur, and I'm familiar with Britain's legends (being British,) I couldn't name one for many countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    You are both completely right that an average Americano (bad joke intended sorry guys ) knows maybe Rome, Sparta, Alexander and that´s it. Little better Americano knows may be Cleopatra, Hannibal and Augustus. But then again, we all would probably bet that the Alexander DLC would be already made for Rome 2 a long time ago. It´s so big name to be hardly missed. And yet again, we are still waiting. I honestly think his story could be easily made even into Napoleon/Attila/Saga game but campaign pack for Rome 2 is good for me as well. :-) But in case CA is keeping Alexander for standalone game, Diadochi wars would be viable in my mind.

1st. Punic war is like end of my time frame for my scenario above/beginning of Grand Campaign. But then it is not sure Italy/Carthage would be in. They could be like Ind at the edge of known world for Alexander/successors. Or CA could quite easily cut it off map completely. I would love to keep them but in both cases the map would be shifted to the east. Losing Iberia even Italy/Carthage while extending to the Central Asia and Ind. Honestly that would be one of biggest positives for me. New proper map different from ones in Attila/GC/Augustus campaign. :-)

Looking back at ED and DK it seems these projects were tests to see if return is viable option. Looks like it was success enough so now I´m hoping for little more ambitious campaign. :-) I personally doubt Boudica as the ToB will be released shortly. Having two concurrent project on the same isles? But there are many stories that could be told and many battles to be fought so why not..
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast