Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

Default Re: How To Add In Your Own Music To M2TW

This may be a stupid question but with the main folder method - what is 'io.file first command' ? What is it and where do i find it? Sorry if its a dumb question!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Hi I was going to help out a friend adding a song to his Third age Total war sub mod.
    Thing is the TATW dev seems to have packed the songs instead of leaving them in the sound/music folder.
    Do I have to extract the music files from the pack and then add them to Sound/music or is there a way of doing it without unpacking it.
    Also I would be grateful if someone would be kind enough to direct me to an unpacker (if that is needed).

Thanks.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

The RTW idk extractor I believe still works on M2TW files. You also shouldn't need to extract the sound files, but should just need to change the appropriate file(s) and place the new song in the location you say it will be found in.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    Hi I was going to help out a friend adding a song to his Third age Total war sub mod.
    Thing is the TATW dev seems to have packed the songs instead of leaving them in the sound/music folder.
    Do I have to extract the music files from the pack and then add them to Sound/music or is there a way of doing it without unpacking it.
    Also I would be grateful if someone would be kind enough to direct me to an unpacker (if that is needed).

Thanks.
    Squid is right, the idx extractor of Vercingetorix works with M2K.
    But for TA:TW you've to unpack the files.
    Download the extractor and download the official sound text files for Medieval II not the Kingdom ones!
    Extract all the sound files into your third_age\data folder without overriting anything!
    Make a backup of your .idx and .dat files in your third_age\data\sounds folder.
    Extract the .idx file you want to edit, f.e. music.idx.
    It will be extracted to third_age\data\sounds\data\sounds\music.
    Copy the music folder to your third_age\data\sounds\ folder, so that it looks like: third_age\data\sounds\music.
    Edit your sound files as intended (do a backup first).
    Place the *.mp3 files in the third_age\data\sounds\music folder.
    Delete the music.idx, music.dat, events.idx and events.dat files in your third_age\data\sounds\ folder.
    Start the game.
    If you've done all the coding and the placing of the *.mp3 files right, that's about it.
    Last edited by Aikanár; April 14, 2010 at 05:02 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

i,ve tried implementing Mongol Invasion invasion music into a mod but it doesn't seem to playing for the specific faction.

Hi everyone,

This is an excellent tutorial, but I'm running into problems. I've made a music mod for TATW 2.1 and while the new music works flawlessly, there is now absolutely no speech in the game and a great deal of the other audio is also missing. On examination of the .dat using WordPad I noticed that it is substantially shorter and smaller after the game rebuilds it than it was originally.

I have only edited the descr_sounds_music.txt - I have touched no other file, except the music and events.idx/dat files, which I simply deleted according to the tutorial instructions.

Is there a way to use new music and retain the voices?

@Ilsamir Lord
    You need to put all the 39 sound files before u regenerate events.dat file.
    Make sure u do that also to revert back reinstall TATW is the only option but save the descr_sounds_music.txt file before doing so.
    Also TATW might be using various other pre-edited sound files of their own so make sure u them for events regeneration.
    Good Luck!

Ishan - Thanks for the fast reply, but I'm not quite sure what you mean... Do you mean I need to unpack the other sound packs as well? If so, I think I will need something other than the IDX extractor, because that doesn't recognise events.idx or .dat as a sounds archive...

Could you give me a simple step by step break-down?

Sorry for being so dense!

1. Download the def vanilla sounds files it's 39 in total.
    2. Then check which snd files already exists in the TATW data folder.{optional}
    3. Copy all the 39 files in the data folder of TATW and don't replace the files that already exist.
    4. After that makes the changes or simply copy the descr_sounds_music.txt in which u have made the changes.
    5. Delete the events.dat and events.idx files and start the game.
    6. They will be regenerated and there u go.

Brilliant! Thank you so much! All working perfectly now!

Frederich Barbarossa's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Edinburgh, Scotland (From Kendall, Florida and proud!)

this didnt work. All I hear is the normal m2tw music
    His highness, ţeţurn I, Keng of Savomyr!

p.m.me FB and I will walk you through it

Capricornius's Avatar Civis

IF THE SOUND EXTRACTION PROCESS GLITCHES (i.e. The .bat file appears to "sucessfully complete" but no data folder appears and it looks like nothing happened) take Music.dat and Music.idx, place them in a new folder (that you just made) along with the xidx.exe and extract_sounds.bat and run it again.

Your new data folder shall appear and from then on just place the Music folder in your mod/data/sounds folder.

For Vista users you will typically get the message XXXX-has stopped working and needs to close bla bla bla. So if you get this message just do the process above

When the enemy advances, withdraw; when he stops, harass; when he tires, strike; when he retreats, pursue. ~ Mao Zedong

Quote Originally Posted by Capricornius View Post
    IF THE SOUND EXTRACTION PROCESS GLITCHES (i.e. The .bat file appears to "sucessfully complete" but no data folder appears and it looks like nothing happened) take Music.dat and Music.idx, place them in a new folder (that you just made) along with the xidx.exe and extract_sounds.bat and run it again.

Your new data folder shall appear and from then on just place the Music folder in your mod/data/sounds folder.

For Vista users you will typically get the message XXXX-has stopped working and needs to close bla bla bla. So if you get this message just do the process above
    Yes it happens solely due to the reason of lack of admin rights and that pesky UAC feature in OS.

UAC is a mixed blessing

Anyways I'm a bit confused on the sound files step.

I downloaded the CA sound files

Then I extracted them to a new folder

Then I copied all 39 files to the Third_Age/data folder

I get the message "Do you: Want to overrite, dont move, or move and rename?"

I clicked move and rename

All 39 files are renamed with a (2) after each file name

Is that what is supposed to happen? Am I doing this right? :\
    When the enemy advances, withdraw; when he stops, harass; when he tires, strike; when he retreats, pursue. ~ Mao Zedong

UAC is a mixed blessing

Anyways I'm a bit confused on the sound files step.

I downloaded the CA sound files

Then I extracted them to a new folder

Then I copied all 39 files to the Third_Age/data folder

I get the message "Do you: Want to overrite, dont move, or move and rename?"

I clicked move and rename

All 39 files are renamed with a (2) after each file name

Is that what is supposed to happen? Am I doing this right? :\
    Well have to say that made me chuckle a bit.

If u are getting a overwrite option that means that your mod(TATW..)already has those files so no need to overwrite them it will screwup the changes the mod team have done.
    If u want to make changes then edit the sound files that already exists in the data folder of TATW.

Do u get it what i'm trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Well have to say that made me chuckle a bit.

If u are getting a overwrite option that means that your mod(TATW..)already has those files so no need to overwrite them it will screwup the changes the mod team have done.
    If u want to make changes then edit the sound files that already exists in the data folder of TATW.

Do u get it what i'm trying to say?
    Yes I understand now

Thanks

Yes I understand now

Thanks
    Good and have fun bro.

Is adding music save-game compatible?

Because my Rhun campaign is well-established