Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: [Release]KCC (Kostic Chronology Costumes) - included in the SSHIP 098

Default Re: [Release]KCC (Kostic Chronology Costumes)

Hi kostic! A request for next version, currently i am playing as Hungary in a campaign and for hungarian/polish unit roster i saw some (ugly) vainilla models, is possible that you can improve them with better units models?
    The units are:
    -Spear militia( hungarian and polish) have vainilla models, maybe should have better models with more "eastern/slavic type or culture, different respect french or italian spear militias.

-Saxons, these models have vainilla models amd have unhistorical halberds( s. XII)

-magyar cavalry, vainilla models

-magyar nobles, have the same model as "aldari horse archer" units

-slavic levy archers, have vainilla models, same case as hungarian/polish spear militia, should have more "eastern europe" unit model.

-Forest archers, same vainilla model as slavic levy archer but with shield in the back...

So when you have time, if is possible improve these ugly vainilla models please.

For the rest, how go your work in units?
    Last edited by j.a.luna; June 24, 2021 at 07:29 PM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Thank you for this inventory. I note on my list.

Currently I am more in the testing and playing stage when I have the time.
    I'm trying to correct the Qipchaq princesses and various little things, but with the arrival of summer, I am less often on my PC.

About military history of Poland, during medieval times.

j.a.luna has posted some nice videos on polish armor before. They are generally fine and are a good way to see how armor looked in Europe in general throughout ages. It shows some plausible gear for Poland, but the problem is that it shows gear with style and technology from different regions. For example, 14th century english and french armor had a prominent arm and leg harness, while german armor, for example, was completely different in style and in comparison, had very little arm protection except for mail. Poland, for the most part followed the german style of armor in the west, while eastern part had significant part of rusyn population, so it also used more eastern armor as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RZDO2xmMwU This is one of the better of those videos, because at this time, most of the catholic european militaries follow the norman style of gear. Even the orthodox side of europe looked surprisingly similar.
    As i've said, these videos have a problem of giving polish military wrong armor, but this particular video is good and let me explain why. I don't know any sources of commoners, but polish seals from east or west principalities show exactly what is depicted in the video. Norman gear was standart in Poland for nobles and it went further through the same route that pretty much the whole europe did in 13th century, which meant more face protection and smaller shields like heater replacing bigger kite shields. Here.

Remember that this is all about 13th century. The problem is that polish art does show warriors that often. Its very hard to find something that shows 12th century military of Poland, but we can assume that it was norman-like, just like it is depicted in the start of 1200s. Later i will do a quick review of some things that are completely made up in polish roster, when i have the time.

Right, here is the stuff that seems out of place in Poland's roster. I have seen these models before somewhere, are they original to SSHIP? Some of the things are ridiculous, like this visored barbute.
    If anyone is interested on why this is wrong, check this video out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb1csnUeebo . If not interested, or not able to understand english that well, here is tl;dr: Barbutes did not have visors, the only examples of them we have is a result of modern museum collectors tampering with a barbute and a sole bascinet visor. Since they did not have a bascinet to attach the visor to, they drilled out the holes in the barbute and put the visor on it. Kinda funny, because the visor is the only example of know of such shape that survived and it dates to about second half of 14th century, but the barbute is from 15th century. Its strange how the visor is not even similar to even the fake example.
    A comparison between the game version and a couple of photos of famours fake visored barbute. The shape of the helmet itself is different and the visor does not protect the eyes and higher. Still, the visor does not belong on this helmet, so the comparison is just for fun.

Other stuff in Poland's roster is not that well shaped. This style of models always has something wrong to it, but units like feudal knights look much better. Here are some of the example of units of this style and their quirks.
    Strange choice of arm protection. The unit itself resembles mostly 13th century, where mail chausses or hose are common. There is no such vambrace with riveted steel plate on the outside and lamellar gauntlet that we can attribute to 13th century Poland.

Same unit has these helmets, which look like early slavic, because of that wavy connection between helmet's segments. Why does it have nasal so large? There are 0 helmets like this with that nasal and certainly not in 13th century Poland.
    Other cav unit has a slightly better version of this helmet.

This great helm looks misshapen, if its trying to be late 14th, early 15th century great helm. Here is an example of a real one. Forehead is more sloped to deflect blows, top of the head is more rounded for glancing as well.

Back to older models, that were in Poland's units originally in SS 6.4.
    No proof that polish militias wore armor like this. Even the helmets and padded coifs like that are not native to Poland. If they wore any metal armor, it would be mail hauberk or a coif. Vanilla SS 6.4 used these models for pretty much all slavic nations' militias, yet Poland is more western. I know exactly where this style comes from and what inspired these models.
    Fresco in Boyana church, Bulgaria. Usual byzantine style art.

Ah, i traced those polish models back to mods like baltic: total war or lithuania mod. The point is, the ugly vanilla models are not the main problem in Poland's roster. The majority of units are ugly, they were made many years ago and without much thought.

@AlberdoBalsam : It would be nice to spoil your images.To do this, switch to advanced mode, select the image and click on the excalamation point.
    This allows the page to reload more easily when browsing the forum.

Yes, Kostic, it will be done, just not at this moment. Certainly i will try to make new posts like you said. Can i somehow edit old posts? Also, don't you want to join Medieval Kingdoms 1212 ad discord server? They might give you some info, because they did a lot of research and could help you. I have seen some links to their mod as sources here, but in truth, those links are outdated and the models are updated, more historically accurate.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Is this compatible with the most recent patch for SSHIP?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    Is this compatible with the most recent patch for SSHIP?
    KCC is included in 098

Hi kostic! Are you still continue improving your units for next versions of sship? For example that you said some time ago as Almogavars/spanish/ Andalusian/ Almoravids troops for an Iberian campaign. Or maybe another non improved units in middle east or eastern europe...
    What are your plans for a near future about your great units?

In my opinion i love see your improving units in the campaign, for example in my abbasid campaign with a "unique touch" for each faction in their ropes!
    Also i would like that you could improve the persian units and maybe make "new historical units and new unit rosters" for current sship. For example regional troops for Iran and Irak with persian troops( also mercenaries), their famous persian spearmen(infantry) and persian archers in the abbasid armies and persian heavy cavalry( kataprhacts) , also maybe for selyuks for "differentiate the rosters more with respect to the fatimies, rum selyuks and zengids".
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

@kostic
    Will you change the texture of the Muslim Faction Leader on the game map? They are still in the old vanilla texture. (I'm playing on version 0.98.)

I think Kostic is working hard on western troops. Aside from that, "muslim" factions were and are always a problem in Medieval 2 and its mods, they are mostly the same and many things look copy-pasted. Its not only faction leaders that are wrong, but entire rosters are made up by looking into Osprey books, which are highly missleading. I don't think anyone could "fix" this problem, it just requires a lot of work and studying the source material.

One example from SSHIP. I am using 0.97 version.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    These here are helmets for the general's bodyguard you start with. One of them on the right has a sliding nasal, which is started being used in 14th century, but really shines in 15th. Game starts in 12th century, sliding nasals have no place then.

Take something like this. It cannot exist before 14th century just because of the sliding nasal.
    This is how helmets with face-covering aventail would have looked like before 14th century. No sliding nasal. This one goes way back to sassanid times.
    These here are late 15th century turkmen on the left with sliding nasals. 14th century Il-Khanate with no nasal and with solid nasals in the right.

Now about the other helmet, shown on the left in my original image.
    These are various illustrations from Osprey books, which i said are missleading.
    This is a reproduction of original helmet, which is from national museum of Hungary. As you can see, it does not fully resemble those, which are shown in Osprey, but that is not the main issue. The problem is, its a late 13th, early 14th century helmet, left in Hungary after the second mongol invasion in 1280s, or brought in my maybe cuman, maybe tatar mercenaries. Its decorations may be indication of Il-Khanate origin. This helmet really has no place for any faction in 12th century, yet it is worn by general's bodyguards and various officers in units.

Here is another example from Olen Kolodets burial. 14th century golden horde helmet.

Here is also helmet from Ploskii. Also 14th century golden horde helmet.

P.S. This is related a bit to one topic.
    This is mongol helmet found in Yesenovo. It either is missing a brim or had none. The problem is, many people are attributing this to byzantines. I know, right? Well, its not byzantine, its mongol and it has similar contruction like Ploskii helm. https://www.levantia.com.au/helms.html This article is what popularized the opinion that Yesenovo helm is byzantine. Itsmostly incorrect, do not use it as a source for anything.

In the end, i would say that factions like abbasids have more than their generals that are incorrect.
    These are Abna Heavy Spearmen and they wear mail and plate armor right at the start of campaign. Mail and plate armor is from 15th century and onwards (although it can be rarely seen in late 14th century on some dubious findings). As you can see, fixing muslim rosters is hard and almost impossible task. Kostic is already working too hard.

Thank you for all these details.
    I wish I could spend more time correcting all these anachronisms, because my first motivation was to create a believable atmosphere for the 12th century.
    Yes, there is still a lot to do with Muslim factions on several points. My contribution has started - I hope - to make them look prettier, but this is only the first step.

Other factions pay attention because anachronisms need to be corrected everywhere! I gave myself a list of units to review to set a goal. This list is not at all exhaustive but you have to start somewhere !

- Almoghavars
    - Black guard ug2
    - contaratoi ug2
    - Dismounted druzhina
    - Dismounted Knights Hospitaller ug1 ug2
    - Druzhina
    - Forest archers
    - General Qipchaq
    - Knights Hospitaller ug1 ug2
    - Lettish crossbowmen (Hanseatic League)
    - Magyar cavalry
    - Magyar nobles
    - Persian archers
    - Rus bodyguard/Serbs bodyguard
    - Slav levies
    - Slavic levy archers
    - Slavic spearmen
    - Spear militia (EE_spear_militia)
    - Templar heavy spearmen
    - Transilvanian peasants
    - Vlach archers ug1

- Changing the horses of the eastern bodyguards(Rus-Kiev-Lithuania-Serbia)
    - Change the square shields of the Italian militias
    - Chude militia (turn javelins into spearmen)
    - Remove fixed visor helmets for the first level of knights

I hope to always be motivated to get to work on SSHIP because besides, I have other priorities in real life. I haven't forgotten j.a.luna's requests, I just haven't had time to deal with them yet.

Here are some images of the Baltic crossbowmen Jurand of Cracow will use as Hanseatic crossbowmen:
    As you can see, I am offering a unit card as well as the picture for the information.

Hanseatic crossbowmen

Hanseatic crossbowmen_ug1

Fights melee
    Last edited by kostic; October 10, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

Well done kostic! Now baltic crossbowmen appearance is more hanseatic hehe and all the job (picture and information) is complete!
    If you need help for iberian units and its information picture i can do it!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Here is my proposal for the Saxons, or those named transilvanian peasants in the EDU.
    I modified the EDU a bit to have an Ug1 model and also because I added a shield and a spear instead of the halberds.

Saxons (old Transilvanian peasants)

Saxons_ug1

Battle
    Last edited by kostic; October 17, 2021 at 01:29 PM.

Yes kostic! Now saxons units looks more realistic than they had halberds... The only thing is that in their description put "effective against armour" and they have only spears
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    Yes kostic! Now saxons units looks more realistic than they had halberds... The only thing is that in their description put "effective against armour" and they have only spears
    Indeed, some descriptions need to be changed. Maybe Macaras will even want to rectify the unit's skills ?

Now, new slav levies :

Slav levies

Slav levies_ug1

I also made a different color version for the hungarians as well as their ui images.
    I mainly relied on Russian militia units to carry out these Slav levies.

little by little the ugly vanilla unit models are being eliminated and creating more realistic and historically correct units ...
    These slav levies it is true that they are similar to the Rus militia but it is normal that they were similar as they are of the same cultural type.
    The EE spear militia of the Poles and Hungarians should also have a "Slavic" or more oriental touch than their western counterparts.
    For the other Slavic units like Slavic Spearmen / Mercenaries or Slavic Levy Archers you could also use similar models but change more their type of armament and armor.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,