Thread: Unit Banners

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Default Unit Banners

I am a little worried about unit banners.

Back when Rome II came out I complainedvehemently about the unit banners and their inability to distinguish between infantry and cavalry. CA thought they are OK because they never changed them and that is the biggest reason why I have not played Rome II post patches.

If CA decides to make somethingartistically relevant to the period I am OK with that. However!

MAKE SURE WE CAN INTUPRIT THE UNITS BYLOOKING AT THE UNIT BANNERS!

Attila unit cards are excellent!
    Last edited by JackDionne; March 04, 2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Had to change to banners.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Unit Cards

I personally haven't had any problem with the Rome 2 unit cards, I find the "simple" cards easy to understand. I see they may be confusing to some people, could you please point out what exactly here you mix up?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Default Re: Unit Banners

Rome 2's unit cards were just bad and were unnecessarily difficult to get used to as well as being generally ugly and unappealing. Having only two colors and extremely similar poses next to each other further hindered the ability to tell them apart which made it all annoying. They were not even historically accurate since that type of artwork was only common to the Greeks back in the 5th century BC, not to the Romans, Carthaginians, and Hellenistic Kingdoms in the third century BC. They should have done the style more in line with artwork like this instead.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Better Anatomy and more color would have made it not only more appealing but more useful in telling the units apart.

Hopefully they are going to follow more in Shogun 2's style for 3k by incorporating color and better anatomy to give the UI good style and function.

I think you're talking about unit cards, not unit banners. Banners are the flags that are carried by the units ingame (or electronic ghost banners float over the unit's heads for the player's convenience).

I personally also disliked Rome 2's Greek-pottery art for everyone unit cards because it was ugly IMO and hard to tell the difference between some units.

It was easy to tell between units of different categories/weapon types (eg. spear vs swords), but the main problem was it is difficult to tell between different units within the same category.

For example, if you had 5-6 different types of hoplites or spearmen, or elite melee cavalry vs other types or regular melee cavalry, then you had a hard time separating the different levels of spearmen or melee cavalry and telling which unit was elite.

I am not a fan of Attila's 3D unit models (as I prefer the 2D portrayals in RTW1/MTW2/Warhammer/etc), but I still think they're better than Rome 2's unit cards.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

He typed unit cards first, and then changed to banners after I posted my reply But yeah, I can agree with the banners not being recognizable
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman