Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: White Stone, Black Stone

Default Re: White Stone, Black Stone

I bet Sen is gonna be overjoyed by that money.
    Well technically it's blood money.
    Good chapters.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Thanks mad orc. I mean, its kind of all blood money though. I'll drop by your aar soon, I have a comment to post but lifes been busy of late

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Chapter 6: Another Battle
    I spent much of the next few months on horseback patrolling our boundary with the Imagawa, and much of the rest patrolling our borders with the Satake to the north and the Uesegi to the north-west. Every night I fell asleep exhausted, whether it was in my own bed or at the barracks or simply under the stars, out in the field. I loved it.

Our patrols often took us by the ruins of our border castles which the Imagawa had efficiently razed. The first time we had gazed on these once-proud fortresses, Hiraoka had shaken his head grimly, and a similarly resigned look had etched itself on Mifune-sama's face as well. In short, no-one knew better than us scouts that despite our victory our defenses had been severely weakened; no doubt the Imagawa would come again.

So we trained ceaselessly and sharpened our spears. Hiraoka received another promotion and we celebrated with desperate abandon, and all too soon the wait was over. The Imagawa came again.

Sen wore one of her new kimonos to see me off, and I stopped by Maeda the spear-captain's house on my way to the stables. He commanded a company of fifty spearmen in battle, and his house was much closer to the castle, as befit his rank. I had gotten permission to visit for this day previously, and his daughter Kana, youngest of his three, presented me with a poem for good luck at the gate to the veranda. Then, with a furtive , a shy kiss before she dated back to the house. With the coming of this second invasion normal social conventions hadn't slipped away entirely, but they had certainly relaxed. When... or if, we sent the Imagawa passing again, perhaps I would propose to her.

The march out was actually easier than the last time, and we joked nervously about this oddity. Perhaps it was because we had now seen battle, perhaps it was because we'd already beaten the Imagawa before. Must of the men present had been at that fight as well and our numbers were about the same as for the previous battle, for it takes time to raise new companies of soldiers. No doubt that was a large part of why the Imagawa had taken nearly a year to challenge us again.

We slowed as we approached a familiar series of hills. "Well, I'd say this looks good," Hiraoka chuckled. "We'll best them on the same ground as last time! "

Our battle plan, however, was not the same as last time. That would invite disaster, although it was similar. Our regiments of gunners would press the center again, hoping to devastate the center of the Imagawa infantry once again. This time, however, the cavalry would be on the left and more infantry on the right. We would take some steeper hills to take the enemy unawares for the ground was near wholly unsuited for horsemen - on our side at least. That would protect our advance and leave us free to attack, and the Imagawa horse could not compare to us. If they had brought their Takeda allies, then we would have needed to worry.

Still, Ota Tomotoki was a careful general and had us at the right of the deployment, a clever move that no doubt fooled the enemy scouts we saw galloping south. Then we trotted over to the left to ascend the hill. We encountered no foes, as was expected. "This time," Goda said, "I'll be the one who comes home with a fancy kabuto as a prize'"

I didn't hear Yukiyama"s response over my own laughter, but then we broke through the treeline. I howled with delight to see the enemy infantry scrambling in confusion at the crest of their hill; surely we would bowl them over and then crash into the cavalry, light cavalry by the look of them, that were behind them. Surely they were out of place, tarrying in their deployment to be downhill and behind the infantry they ought to be supporting? I didn't even bother to grab my yumi, instead readying my grip on my tachi as we raced up the incline

Crack! Crack! Crack!

A thunderous cacophony and I was thrown to the earth by a thousand biting fists.

Last edited by waveman; May 07, 2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Atrocious spelling

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The detail about social conventions being relaxed but not destroyed is a nice touch. It sounds like the battle is not turning out as expected despite the general's careful planning. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The end of that chapter sounds ominously as if we brought swords to a gunfight...

I hope I'm mistaken, or that's going to turn out to be a costly mistake.

This is great, waveman. Your characters are wonderful, as always!

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Chapter 7: the Cost of Defeat

I awoke.

I faded back into this reality of pain. Hell was... a small room and a ragged futon?

I turned on my side and nearly vomited from the agony of it, but there within my sight was bowl of cabbage soup. I nearly passed out reaching for it, and my trembling left arm - my right was bound? - spilled a few precious drops as I brought it to my lips. It was cold and clammy and one of the best things I had ever eaten. Hunger sated, I slipped back into unconsciousness.

I awoke to whispers. I heard soft footsteps and suddenly what light I perceive through my closed eyelids dimmed. I forced my left eye open a hair.

I saw a darkness, the hint of shapes, my body felt as though it was ablaze. Clarity slowly came to me and I saw that I was in a sick ward in what appeared to be a temple. A silhouette moved toward me, and I lapsed back into unconsciousness.

When next I woke there was a young monk trending to me. "Ah good," he smiled, "you're awake." I smiled weakly and promptly fell asleep.

This sort of patter continued for a few weeks until I was able to cling to consciousness, and then able to walk for longer periods of time. I learned of the great defeat the Ota had suffered at the hands of the Imagawa, but also that some of the army and most of the generals had escaped. My heart soared! Then I learned that the Imagawa had, of course, pursued them and now lay siege to the stronghold of Tsuchiura-jo. I was despondent. As soon as I was able, I said my farewells to that quiet house of contemplation to make my way home.

The walk to Tsuchiura-jo was agonizingly slow. The monks had provided me with some food and a few copper coins for the journey; the Ota had long been patrons of their secluded temple. The roads were crowded with clusters of people. Some were fleeing the conflict, some headed toward it, but all traveled in groups so as to avoid the lawlessness that invariably follows conflict. Some days into the journey my group dropped to the ground at the roadside. I stood still, confused, until a farmer pulled me down by my sleeve. "Imagawa officer coming," he muttered. "He'll see no difference between a ronin like you and a peasant like me."

I was about to dismiss his warning when I saw them: a troop of perhaps forty mounted men followed by a hundred or so foot soldiers and the usual porters and so on. But the horsemen were what caught the eye: to a man they were mounted on some of the finest horses that I'd ever seen, each one black as a moonless night, with bells on their harnesses and golden streamers flying from their mains and tales. Their riders sat atop ornate saddle cloths and saddles, their clothes or armor brilliantly colored, scabbards bedecked with pearl and gold inlays. Then I heard what they were saying:

"It's a shame about the Ota, really," a young man in the middle was saying to a companion. "Fierce fighters -"
    "Smart, too," the companion added.

"Quite," the first agreed. "What I would give to have them on our side, guard our norrthern flank."
    "Best fighters since the Izu-no-Hojo? I'd take them," the companion agreed.
    "Now, the problem..." and they were too far to be heard over the sounds of marching horses and men. But I knew what I needed to do.

I leaped up, hastily pulling my sheathed sword from my sash and casting it to the dirt, and ran towards the procession. As the guards whirled to face me I threw myself to the ground, perpetrating myself before them. "Please," implored them, "request an audience with your master! I have knowledge that could be very valuable to him...wha??" My speech ended with a confused yelp as three Imagawa guards grabbed me.

"What's all this then?" The voice, though inquisitive, had an unmistakable air of command. I cut through the guards' dismissal of me to shout that I served the Ota, earning myself a blow from a guard and an appraisal from the man who had ridden back to our roadside scuffle. "And you are?" he asked.

"Iwamoto Kennosuke, your lordship," I answered, pressing my forehead to the dirt. The man snorted - somehow even that was elegant - and bade my captors release me. "Look at him kneel," the mounted Lord chuckled, gesturing at me. The gods must have favored me for it was the man I had heard speaking earlier, a lean man with dark, clever eyes and an immaculate topknot. "The man can't even hold any weight on his right arm," he told them. Then, to me: "Come then, Iwamoto, and let us speak, but be sure not to waste my time."

We retired a short distance from the road, and a pavilion along with tea - tea! - was set up; the guards set up a perimeter less the handful that accompanied this Lord and his two companions. "I apologize for my rudeness Iwamoto, for I have not yet introduced myself," the Lord began once we were all seated. "I am Iwagawa Ujizane," he continued, smiling at my obvious surprise, "son of Imagawa Yoshitomo. This is Aso Kazutoyo," Ujizane introduced a man who appeared around thirty, "one of my most trusted advisors. Tell me, what is this news you have for me?"

"I can get messages, a message, a trusted message to the Ota," I managed to stammer.

At Ujizane-tono's raised brow I explained my situation, my initial despair upon waking, the hope I regained and the way it was crushed once I learned of the siege of Tsuchiura-jo. When I finished, the young lord leaned to his advisor and they conversed quietly for a moment, and as they talked I could see the excitement building throughout Ujizane's entire body.

"So, you could persuade your Lord to negotiate with my father? With assurances, of course; I know his reputation against those who have fought us." Yoshimoto had often been merciless to those who opposed him. I hesitated, then nodded vigorously. "Yes, yes this could work," Ujizane murmured to himself, rubbing his forehead. "A general, high ranking but not the clan head... The Wakatono will be visiting -" a strangulated cough escaped one of the Lord's companions but Ujizane silenced him with a dismissive waive of his hand - "It is common knowledge! If the heir of Takeda Shingen leaves Kai with five hundred horse then of course everyone who could care will know! With him there... yes. It is settled." He made eye contact with me. "If Yoshimoto guarantees your clan's safety with important winesses that should be assurance enough to negotiate." He paused as if waiting for me to disagree, and when I did not he nodded briskly. Azo-san, see to the arrangements. Tozawa, get a man you trust to accompany Iwamoto-san here." With that he left to speak to an important-looking samurai, likely the captain of the guard.

Then the advisor leapt up and walked briskly to the guards while I was questioned about my rank and credentials. He returned shortly with another bushi who was instructed to sit to the side and behind Ujizane's companions.

Ujizane himself returned for a moment and then departed, and again I bowed low to him. His advisor then barked a series of instructions to me: "This is Yokota Kiyokuni, he will accompany you. You are to take a message he will carry to your master detailing the terms of his surrender and terms of a vassal contract. Takeda Yoshinobu will be visiting us in one week; as the son of our closest ally any treaty he bears witness to is nigh unbreakable by Lord Imagawa, especially since the young lord harbors a strong disliking for Yoshimoto. Return to the siege camp as soon as possible and be sure to do so in the daytime lest some sentry shoot you in the night."

Last edited by waveman; May 07, 2019 at 02:26 PM.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Chapter 8: Fever

If the walking portion of my journey home was painfully boring, the ride under the Imagawa banner was excruciating. Every stride of the house jarred my mangled body and by the time we made it through the Imagawa siege camp my reluctant companion was helping me stay mounted; as we approached the castle walls he dismounted and walked beside me to ensure I stayed horsed even as I screwed my eyes shut and gritted my teeth against the pain.

We had been quiet for most of our time together, but now he talked. So many questions he had!

Where were you born? Not far from here.

No, really, where? Small village up the river.

River, eh? Must be nice. It was, plague killed most of it.

Ah, sad, but such is life. Shikataganai.

Indeed, and so you came here? Grunt of affirmation.

Just like that? You just walked here? Aunt was married to a general, high up.
    Ah, so connections. Sort of, he died in the first battle.

I was there, were you? Of course.

Where? I served under Sessai Taigen. Ah, I remember that unit, good cohesion

Where were you? Like a rock you were.

What flank were you? Right. Horse.

My congratulations, my cousin fought your unit then. Good for him.

Said you lot fought like tigers. Yours as well, we just caught them unprepared.

Unprepared? Hill between.

I'm sorry? I don't understand. There was a hill between us, we got to the top, saw your men and reacted faster.

And then attacked our flank? Mostly just threatened.

But the cavalry was said to be decisive in our defeat? We made as if to attack, drew men from the center.

Ah, I see. Grunt.

He chuckled. Another grunt.

I admire your determination. Thank you.

You were wounded at the second battle? Yes.

How, if you don't mind me asking. Guns.

Ah. You weren't in the... Cavalry charge? Yes.

A pity, so brave. Didn't think there'd be guns.

I imagine not, we copied some of your tactics. I see.

Make sure you remember my name. I will.

I'm serious, if the negotiations go well I could use a man like you. Uh-huh.

What is my name? Yokota Kiyokuni.

Good, well, here we are. Of course we're here.

No I mean at the gate. Me too.

But your eyes are closed? That's how long the walk is.

You remember that? Yes.

Impressive. Do you want to call out to the guards? Not really.

I mean before they shoot us. It's tempting not to but it would be counterproductive, no?

Between the two of us (mostly him, I just reassured the guards) we managed to explain the situation, and then I again lost my fight to remain conscious. The negotiations, as it turned out, went well and we were incorporated into the Imagawa clan and obligated to send monies and fighting men to them. Yoshimoto was frustrated, but both Sessai Taigen and Ujizane-sama were pleased. Lord Ota was ordered to guard the north while the Imagawa gathered their strength for some new endeavor to the south.

Last edited by waveman; November 16, 2018 at 08:20 PM.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Well! So, I've been gone a while (again), but here's my next couple of updates, along with some in-game background. I originally planned to write this AAR about Imagawa Ujizane since, surprise, I'm actually playing as the Imagawa! But I was really impressed when the AI managed to defeat my invasion of the Ota lands (one province, two protectorates), dealing me a setback the delayed my other plans for a full year, 12 turns. Out of that came this story. We'll continue on with Iwamoto Kennosuke and the dealings with being conquered.

Now that that bombshell has been dropped, maps and such should be easier to put up without spoilers.
    Last edited by waveman; November 19, 2018 at 02:18 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123