Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: SWO-RD : Steph's Warhammer Overhaul - Recruitment Diversity

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SWO-RD : Steph's Warhammer Overhaul - Recruitment Diversity

One dukedom per province would definitively add to the flair and diversity, in addition to reinforcing the pompous nobility-ridden country that Bretonnia is. I'd certainly enjoy it, and it'd mean seeing even more of your designs, so I'm all for
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quesiton, what do you think about stat differences between different regions within the Empire (and for other races as well)? For example, Reikland is much wealthier than say... Averland. So it would make more sense that Reikland's provincial troops are more expensive but more armored and better trained than Averland's, and vice versa. Special units as well, like the Nordland Seahawks, Teutogen Guard, etc?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I introduce some small variations for Empire troops, like Hochland have better accuracy, or Ostland better leadership.

I could make a more thorough pass on that, but since the units are all different, this is technically easy to do. The hardest part would be to compile a list of lore friendly changes, and that would not break balance too much

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I introduce some small variations for Empire troops, like Hochland have better accuracy, or Ostland better leadership.

I could make a more thorough pass on that, but since the units are all different, this is technically easy to do. The hardest part would be to compile a list of lore friendly changes, and that would not break balance too much
    I'd be willing to help.

Patrician Artifex

You're wlecome to propose a list of possible changes. Just keep balance in mind: I'm OK with minor changes to improve immersion and variety, but the units should remain in their league. I mean, a bonus for a swordman from a province should not make it better than greatsword from another province.

Patrician Artifex

To make it easier to navigate the screenshots, I have split this thread in several parts. I'll keep this one for general accouncement and discussions about gameplay changes.

For the Screenshots related to units, they are now in separate thread, one for each races, and I'll post new screenshots directly there.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a good idea
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Patrician Artifex

I didn't post new screens recently because I'mm quite buys with a rework on the way I handle areas of recruitment. I tried several solutions, some are working better than others , so the last two weeks, were one step forward, one step backward... I hope to stabilize it this week to resume with the icons for Bretonnia.

Aim is to release Bretonnia just after next DLC, I won't release something midseptmeber just to update it two weeks later.

Patrician Artifex

These are the changes I'm working on: give each bretionnian region its own faction at start.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm also trying to change the smaller regions, and have one-region provinces for all of them. But no success so far, this crashes the game...

Patrician Artifex

Witht he new DLC announced for 11th of September, sooner than expected (I thought ti woyuld be end September), I don't have too wait too long to update SWO-RD to it, even if I finish Bretonnia in a week or two like I hope.

However, with significant changes to the Empire, I'll have to update the Empire. And maybe also the Wood Elves, since it seems they have new region within the Empire, and maybe a new faction to go with it.

With the mulitplication of regions in the Empire, I may also have to drop the region specific units, except for the major cities, and onlly keep regional units.

I'll see when we get the new updated map of the Empire before deciding.

And obviously, the archers and hunters, with more or less placeholder graphics, will be redone with the new graphics.

And last, I'll have to see what the new provincial units tied to the elector count mechanism actually are and see how to use this.

Lots of possible work, so I don't think the Bretonnia update will be released very soon,due to the need to update Empire as well.

Patrician Artifex

I have almost finished Bretonnia. I just have a few icons to do for the Rebels and Rogue armies, and then finalize the garrison.

However, seing the patch notes and additional information from CA about modding support, SWO-RD will not be updated very soon.

1) There may be some broken script or tables, that I'll have to fix.
    2) There will be a WE update, since I'll have to add Laurelorn faction. This means new heraldic units!
    3) I will of course have to update the Empire.
    4) With new scripting options, I will make an important change to the recruitment mechanism.

Due to all these changes, the next update will not integrate additional gameplay mechanism. I was thinking about a "religion and corruption overhaul" but this will be in an update later.

Planned changes for the empire
    - Add the new general (new icons)
    - Replace my archers and huntsmen with the new one
    - Add the new wagons, with faction colour.
    - See how the Elector Counts specific units work, and how it will interact with SWO-RD.
    - I will keep my version of the Knights of Morr and Everlasting knights, with some updates to use some of the assets coming from the mod
    - I will also keep my version of the Carroburg Greatswords.

The big question, still undecided but your feedback is welcome.
    - I made region specific units. Like infantry with heraldry for Grunburg, Eilhart, etc.
    - CA has added some regions in the last DLC, and now 12 more regions for the Empire.
    - I wonder if I should
    1) Add new units and heraldry for these new regions (maybe difficult)
    2) Get rid of the region specific units, and maybe use their shields to have more variety for the province specific units instead.
    - I will however keep some region specific units, but only for the most important cities (Altdorg, Nuln, Talabheim, Middenheim, Averheim at least, maybe other provincial capitales).

Planned changes for the recruitment system
    - Duplicated buildings for each province are gone. There is now only one barracks buildable in every region. This barracks grant the generic units, and also all the heraldic units.
    - Heraldic units will be limited to a specific region via a resource system.
    - Some very region specific units, like the Swordmasters of Hoeth, will be linked to a landmarks, with a unit capacity linked to the level of the said landmark.
    - Monsters, Cannon, Tanks, will have a unit capacity linked to the levels of the building allowing their recruitment. For exemple, the capacity of Star Dragons will be +1 for every tier 5 dragon building.
    - For basic units non-monsters units (infantry, cavalry), there will be a kind of manpower mechanism, working with script.
    -- At the beginning of each turn, the script will check your settlements and some buildings to compute the "manpower" for this turn. This will affect the unit capacity.
    -- Each settlement will contribute to a global manpower, a provincial manpower, and sometimes a regional manpower.

Here is an example for the Empire (numerical values are just for exemple)
    - Each settlement level in Altdorf will gives +5 core units(spearmen, swordmen, crossbowmen), +2 special units (greatswords, outriders), +1 rare units (demigryph). Altdorf will contributes to the global manpower, the Reikland provincial manpower, and the Altdorf regional manpower.
    - Each settlement level in Grunburg, will give the same +5, +2, +1, but contribute to the global manpower, the Reikland provincial manpower, but no regional manpower.
    - Each settlement level outside of the Empire will give the same +5, +2, +1, but only to the global manpower.

So, if you control Altdorf (level 3), Grunburg (level 2), Carroburg (level 2), and Artois + Gisoreux (each level 1), and nothing else, you would have:
    From Altdorf:
    - Global: 15 core, 6 special, 3 rare
    - Reikland: 15 core, 6 special, 3 rare
    - Altdorf: 15 core, 6 special, 3 rare
    From Grunburg:
    - Global: 10 core, 4 special, 2 rare
    - Reikland: 10 core, 4 special, 2 rare
    From Carroburg:
    - Global: 10 core, 4 special, 2 rare
    - Middenland: 10 core, 4 special, 2 rare
    From Artois:
    - Global: 5 core, 3 special, 1 rare
    From Gisoreux:
    - Global: 5 core, 3 special, 1 rare

Total:
    - Global: 45 core, 20 special, 9 rare
    - Reikland: 25 core, 10 special, 5 rare
    - Middenland: 10 core, 4 special, 2 rare
    - Altdorf: 15 core, 6 special, 3 rare

So you have 25 Reikland spearmen, 25 crossbowmen, 10 greatswords or 10 halberdiers.
    To have a bigger army, you'll need to recruit generic unit (up to 45 additional spearmen).

Want a bigger army? Upgrade your settlements, or capture new one.

This will also limit doomstack, due to the global limits to special or rare units. And even force some spreading of chaff units: number of spearmen and swordmen are limited, so to have many armies, you'll need to have spearmen and swordmen.

The system maybe refined with some additional parameters, like factoring corruption or public order. Having too many corruption or too low public order can reduce the unit capacity

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    The big question, still undecided but your feedback is welcome.
    - I made region specific units. Like infantry with heraldry for Grunburg, Eilhart, etc.
    - CA has added some regions in the last DLC, and now 12 more regions for the Empire.
    - I wonder if I should
    1) Add new units and heraldry for these new regions (maybe difficult)
    2) Get rid of the region specific units, and maybe use their shields to have more variety for the province specific units instead.
    I'd go with number two, most of the minor settlements aren't very big to begin with. Having a mix of them in the provincial troops seems nice.

Patrician Artifex

I have managed to setup a few scripts that will be very useful for the next update of the mod, with a full dynamic manpower system.

I'll tell more about this later.

In the meantime, I have started updating the units to use the latest assets from CA.

See Empire thread for more details.

Patrician Artifex

Quick update: I have finished adapting the Empire infantry units to the latest DLC. Switching to cavalry.

Patrician Artifex

Some progress report.

Done;
    - All the icons and texture for Empire update and Bretonnia are done.
    - All the tables are updated
    - AOR mechanismm and script to add in the UI the icons of units which are not recruitable in a region.
    - New units added to the script to limit units in each army according to weight. But there is a twist from DrunkFlamingo's Table top mechanism. It is now linked to the rank of the lord.

What's left in the TODO list before release
    - Add Laurelorn heraldic units.
    - Script to manage the dynamic manpower / unit capacity

About unit capacity in an army
    - You can have as many core units as you want in each army
    - Special and rare units are limited. Each of them as a "weight". For exemple rare 1 for a Phoenix, rare 2 for a Moon Dragon, but rare 3 for a Star Dragon.
    - An army as a global capacity. Originally it was 10 special and 5 rares. It means that for HE, you can have only 1 Star Dragon, + 1 Moon Dragon, or 1 Star + 2 Phoenix, or 2 Moon + 1 Phoenix, or 5 Phoenix
    - Now, I made it related to the rank

Lord rank : special limit - rare limit
    - 1-4: 6 and 2
    - 5-8: 7 and 3
    - 9-12: 8 and 4
    - 13-16: 9 and 5
    - 17-20: 10 and 6
    - 21-25: 12 and 7
    - 26-35 14 and 8
    - 35: 16 and 9

This means that a lowest level HE lord cannot recruit black dragon (only one moon dragon, and no other rare units. But at highest level, they can have 2 star dragons + 1 moon dragon.
    Last edited by Steph; November 17, 2019 at 08:56 AM.

Patrician Artifex

The script for dynamic Manpower System is almost finished.

Here are the unit capacities for the generic units at game start for Reikland faction

Patrician Artifex

Do you think I should keep it like that, with for exemple Archers, Handgunners and Crossbowmen that could have different caps, or group them together?

In temrs of manpower, I consider that the settlement contribution is more or less the same, but for training and equipment thehy don't come with the same level of the barracks.

So I have something like +2 cap / settlement level, and +3 / barracks level fro crossbowmen, starting level 2, but +2 for handgunners starting level 3. So the end results are possibly individual capacity for each units. But it gives many lines in the tooltip.

I could simpliy a bit by considering that in terms of manpower and capacity, I could have the same limits for spearmen/swordmen/pikemen, crossbowmen/archers/handgunners, greatsword/halberdiers... Even if they are made available at different levels for the recruitment building, lower level could contribute the same.

So when you have a level 2 barracks, it contributes to the handgunners capacity the same as for crossbowmen, even if you can't recruit it yet. Or maybe you could via another barracks in the same region.

So would do you prefer? Individual limits, with more flexibility but more lines, or grouped limits, less flexibility but lighter UI?

Patrician Artifex

Update: reworked a bit the script to group together some units.
    For example the melee state troops (spearmen, swordsmen, pikemen), or the missile state troops (archers, crossbowmen, handgunners) have the same capacity.
    Some units, like militia, huntsmen or knights keep their own capacity.

First screen show the capacity for generic units, second the capacity for the units from Reikland province, and the extra units specific to Altdorf.

Patrician Artifex

Dynamic manpower system applied to Bretonnia. Starting capacities, with generic units, Couronne Heraldic Units, and L'Anguille Heraldic Units

I hope I can to the script for the Elven races tommorrow, and the update of SWO-RD will be almost ready for release!

Patrician Artifex

A bit more complicated than expected, but the Dynamic Manpower System is in place for the High Elves
    They are quite special. Where the other faction can recruit almost every type of unit everywhere, with heraldic variants, High Elves can only recruit the standard troops (and their elite version) in every region, and with heraldic variants in Ulthuan.
    But the strangest Elite units of the HE, like the Swordmasters, White Lions, Phoenix Guards, or even the Lothern Sea Guards and Ellyrian Reavers, can only be recruited in a specific province, with the proper landmarks, and in limited number.
    This means that the HE players will have a strong incentive to unify Ulthuan if he wants to get access to the full might of the HE.
    And it should help limit the AI over expansion.
    Note: Gate Guards are not managed with DMS, but directly as an effect from the Gate settlement.