Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: SWO-RD : Steph's Warhammer Overhaul - Recruitment Diversity

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: SWO-RD : Steph's Warhammer Overhaul - Recruitment Diversity

After testing, I've found a few bugs with the slots which lead to a game crash when trying to recruit a hero. I hope it's now corrected.

I have also modified a bit the building. In any region in Ulthuan you can have barracks and stable up to level 4, and can recruit elite generic units (like Sentinel spearmen).

Out of Ulthuan, you are limited to level 3 barracks/stable, and can recruit elite units.

Patrician Artifex

Beta version published on Steam at last!!!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1456177922

Great , will be sure to check it out !

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

Patrician Artifex

Warning: when trying the campaign today, I noticed that the game can often crash when loading a battle instead of using autoresolve. I'm not sure if it is because of a specific faulty units, or another issue

Patrician Artifex

I did more tests... and it's really puzzling.
    If I try in custom battle to have a full army A with my modded units, and put in army B some empire troops for exemple, everything is fine. So when I tested them individually like that, all my units were working.
    But if I try a custom battle with only one lord and one modded unit on each side (so a minimal test, with minimal potential conflict) the game crashes when loading the battle.

I have no idea why yet...

And it seems the same happens in the campaign: if you try a battle HE vs DE, it should work. But one HE faction against another: game crashes when trying to fight the battle.

You'd have to use auto resolve then until I manage to find the real cause of the crash and how to solve it.

Patrician Artifex

I think I nailed the bug. Apparently, using the standard_bearer slots to give 5 bodyguards to the officer doesn't work well. A battle starts OK if you have units with this slot in only one side, but it crashes if both sides have units with this slot.

Prelimary tests shows that using only officer and musician slots, so with 3 bodyguards instead of 5, solve the issue. I'm doing more tests to confirm.

Now, I want to open a discussion.

Some poeple prefer staying closer to the lore, and avoid extra units such as Swordmen, Pikemen, Pegasi maidens...

I could adapt the mod to have a core pack with all the units ready inside, but only the standard units would be recruitable.

And then make one or more optional pack to activate the extra units (i.e. add them to garrison list, and to the building_level_units junction table).

But before doing this I'd like your feedback, about what should be optional, what should be in the core.

Candidates for optional

- Swordmen
    - Pikemen
    - Unicorn maiden
    - Pegasi maiden
    - Griffon riders
    - Spear Sisters, Bow Sisters, Spear Maiden and Bow maiden: extra female units available in any Ulthuan province (I didn't want to lose the work on texture I did before CA release Q&C DLC)
    - Elite female units in Avelorn (one with dual swords, one with two handed lance)
    - Elite version of the units (sentinels, hawkeyes, high helms...)
    - Generic version of elite units (ex: axemen vs White Lions). If I make them optional, it means some units can be recruited in only one region (ie White Lions only in Chrace, Swordmasters only in Saphery, Dragon Princes only in Caledor), and not at all outside!

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

Damn Steph, that's some life's work you have there

Patrician Artifex

I have started work on the WE.

Concepts
    - They can still recruit most of there units in Athel Loren regions only.
    - They will however be able to recruit basic spearmen /archer from colonies to help with public order.
    - Units will still cost Amber, but maybe a little less since they will also be capped
    - Units will have different uniforms depending in what Athel Loren region they are recruited.
    - Units will have a normal and elite version (ex: eternal guard, eternal warden).
    - I'd like the WE to look more wild than the others, and with less uniformed colours. So each unit will feature some colour variations for more randomness

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

DELETE

I was in half sleeping responding to way old part about chromatic colours and my jokes were not as funny as should be! Anyway great wrok Steph!!
    Last edited by Daruwind; September 10, 2018 at 02:30 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Patrician Artifex

What deviation? All the heraldic symbols are from the Lore

Patrician Artifex

For High Elves, regional recruitment was obvious: each kingdomhas it's own region.

For Wood Elves it's different: they have 12 realms, but only 4 regions (+ oak of ages) on the map.

So I group them, 3 realms in each region (technically, it should a be little different, but I had to compromise to keep some balance.

- Talsyn region : Talsyn + Atylwyth + Cavaroc
    - Torgovann regio: : Torgovann + Anmyr + Modryn
    - Argwylon region: Argwylon + Arranoc + Tirsyth
    - Wydrioth region: Wydrioth + Fyr Darric + Cythral

So each regions allows recruiting units from each realm, with their own colors. And some have bonus: Fyr Darric has many shrine of Loec, and gives sligthly better wardancers. Rangers from Cythral (the Wildwood) are a bit stronger.

Spearmen exists in 4 versions (shield/no shield, and Eternal Guards, or elite Eternal Wardens). Each with colour + heraldry on cape or shield (see screenshots above), for a total of 4x12 = 48 different units.

Archers are a bit different. There are 3 versions in the game (normal arrows, fire arrows, poison arrows), but making the 3 versions x 2 (Glade Guards + elite Lord's Bowmen) x 12 realms is really too many units.

So I did things a little differently.

I split the arrows depending on the realm.

For example, in Talsyn region, Talsyn' Glade Guards have normal arrows. Atylwyth' have poison arrows, and Cavaroc' fire arrows. Deepwood Scouts from Aytwyth and Cavaroc are regular arrow, but Talsyn' have magical arrows.

This way each region has all the possible type of units, and also different uniform colours.

Woah! This looks awesome! Just have 2 questions for ya; Do you have a set release date for this? And will you be more uniform mods for other factions?

Patrician Artifex

High Elves and Dark Elves have already been released. I hope to finish the Wood Elves end October.

Then I have to rework High Elves a little to optimize the size of the pack and the effect, probably rework a little the lords and heros.

I also plan to come back to Dark Elves at some point to add more heraldic units.

But the big next faction will probably be The Empire.

Ultimatily, I plan to do every faction in the game. But some will be less detailed.

Patrician Artifex

Recent work on the icons

Common things for all icons

- They have a background linked to race. WE are light green

- They have a frame showing their origin:
    -- golden for lords and heros,
    -- bronze for units unique to a region (exemple Swordsmasters only in Saphery),
    -- silver for heraldic units,
    -- green for units only in Athel Loren,
    -- brown for generic units recruitable anywhere,
    - red for RoR

- They have on the bottom left a small icon (diamond): green for core units, blue for special, red for rare. Later I will ude DrunkFlamingo's mechanism to limit the number of rare/special units that can go in an army.
    - and at bottom right, a small flag if they are recruitable in a specific region. For WE, I've done units for each of the 12 realms. And so each Athel Loren region allows recruiting units from 3 different realms? Here you can see some Atylwyth, Cavarroc and Talsyn

- You can see more units category icons (in this exemple, spearmen with shield, or wild rider with shield)
    - Archer category icon have a green halo for poisoned weapon, and red halo fire weapo, and blue for magical weapon (visible in screen above)
    - The icon is silver for regular unit, or golden for elite units. Elite units are twice smaller than regular units

I'm also redoing the lord and heros icon to show part of the body, and not only the head. And I'm making different units for each lore of Magic

Patrician Artifex

Full Wood Elves rosters!

See here for details

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Steph; December 30, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

Cannot find proper words!

Patrician Artifex

Do you like the new style for the lord and heros? It's quite different from CA that shows only the head.

No problem at all!The style is very much in line with unit cards. Everything is very detailed and clear especially with all the colourful mini icons and markings, it is probably more suitable to have lords not just as a head. I think CA is using head detail just to ease the fingind of your lord in army/battle but for me it is no problem. Lord is always in the very left

Actually now I´m curious to see all other lords and heores in that style as well. But from this example. It is working approach, very good!

EDIT: need to spread more rep around

Patrician Artifex

Wood Elves are almost finished. All texture done. I'm considering adding new agents (Shadow Dancers, Spellweavers, maybe Glade Captain or Legendary Lord / Heros such as the Twilight Sisters or Naieth, etc). But since I have never added an agnt so far (except variation for the Spellsingers, but they already existed), I think it may be a little of work, and I don't want to delay the other factions too much.
    So maybe I'll first focus on this kind of work for every faction, and later if I'm still around make a big Lpord and Hero update with new stuff.. And we'll see at tis time if CA added new legendary lord or not.

But since the DLC will be released soon, I will not work on the table for finalize the WE immediately: I'll do that after the DLC, and solve compatibility issues at the same time.

In the meantime, I plan to rework a bit the HE. Icons have alredy been upgrrade to the new standard

But I want to change the rigimodel to wsmodel. For WE, it reduced the size by more than half, and allows more options for effect. If I do the same with HE, I hope to considerably reduce the size of the pack, and maybe allow more effects.
    And I want to give their mages different graphics depending on the lore of magic, and do the icon in the new style for every lord and hero.

Maybe add a few more variation for the generals on the map.

Superbe.