Thread: SWO-RD : Steph's Warhammer Overhaul - Recruitment Diversity

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: SWO-RD : Steph's Warhammer Overhaul - Recruitment Diversity

For the future updates of the mod, I will try to add each time
    - a new race, "SWO-RD" processed, with regional recruitment, heraldic units, officers, lore specific graphics, etc.
    - a new gameplay feature.

The next update (hopefully this month) will include the finalized Dark Ekves, and a visibility overhaul.

This is what I plan to do (all numerical values are subject to change):

The view distance is the distance at which you can spot a standard unit in the open (no forest to hide, no hill or obstacle to block LOS, the line of sight)

The default view distance unit will vary with each unit. Mostly using the race as a base:
    - Hgh Elves: 750 m, Wood Elves, 700m, Dark Elves 650m.
    - Human: 600 m
    - Beastmen, Goblins : 550m
    - Dwarves, Ors, Lizardmen: 500 m
    - Skaven : 450
    - Undead, : 400m

For reference "battle realism" uses a view distance of 600m.

For monsters, I'll do that case to case. Some can see very far, like an Eagle (probably 1500), some may be almost blind and require spotters (Kharybdys at 300m)

This default view distance will then be adjusted based on different parameters

- Cavalry : +50 (they are higher and can spot ennemy more easily)
    - Archers: +50 (let's suppose archer usually have a better sight)
    - Specialized spotter : +150 (unit such ad deepwood scouts, shades...)
    - Unit with large helmet: -100 (view sight reduced), -50 with small helmet.

Maybe I can also have the view distance increased a little with the experience of the units (I need to check if this work).

The idea is that you cannot see the ennemy from very far, and will need scouts to find him, and cover the whole battlefield.

The parameters above are combined to give a final view distance. Great Eagles, or WE Hawk Riders can see up to 1500m, and can spot ennemy untius from across the battlefield.
    Dragons also have a good view distance. Then you have waywatchers, deep scouts, mages...
    On the other hands, Cygor barely see up to their range, undead (except the carrions or their lord) have a poor view distance, and very heavy cavalry with large helmet don't see very far.

As said, this is the view distance for a "standard" unit.

But this will be adjsuted by a coefficient. 1.0 means the unit is visible at this distance (i.e. 600m for a human spotter, 700m for Elves). 0.5 means it is visible at half the distance (300m for men, 350 foe Elves), 2 it is visibvle at twice the distance (1200m for men, 1400m for Elves).
    Base game uses
    - 0.5 for Dryads/Treemen (they do look like trees)
    - 0.7 for Camelon Skink
    - 0.8 for Goblins and small Skavens

And that's it..

In SWO-RD, the system will be a bit more complex.

The base will be the size of the unit
    - Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs: 1.1
    - Human, Undead, Ungor, etc : 1.0
    - Dwarves: 0.9
    - Skink: 0.8
    - Skaven, Goblin : 0.7

- Monsters: depends on the size. Bat may be 0.3, Dragon and Giant 3 (so more or less always visible).

Then, additional parameters will be taken into account
    - Mounted units : +0.2 depending, but even more for large mount (a dragon could be 3)
    - Units with shining armor / bright colours / tall helmet: +0.2
    - Units with "camouflage" (like Camaelon Skink, Wood Elves): -0.2 to -0.5

A foot WE archer may have 0.7 at the end while an HE aromored archer may have 1.5, and a glittering silver helm 2.0

Beside this global effect, each unit will laso have a specific "spot tree" distance which determine how far it can spot an ennemy unit hidden in a forest. Vanilla value is 60 and 160 for some lzardmen.

I plan to adjust this to have more variety:
    - wood elves archers will see better in forest than others
    - Human knight with big armor won't be so good
    - Hawk, Eagle, etc will see farther
    - Same as Dryads, Treemen, they will have an even better view
    - Some creatures of the Forest, like Beastmen, will also have a better view.

And last, it is possible to adjust the minimal distance: the distance at which a unit can ALWAYS detect over units, even if not in sight (exemple: behind a hill or a forest)
    By defautl, CA used 40, except for a very few units like Chaos Lord with lore of Shadow.

I plan to change this a little for a few units, for exemple
    - Mages maybe able to see a little farther, thanks their magical senses
    - Some units like Wolves or wardgos could have this increase to make them good 'hunters".

Let me know what you think of all these ideas!
    Last edited by Steph; January 23, 2019 at 07:25 AM.