Thread: How can we get more new players to give RTW a try ?.

Default How can we get more new players to give RTW a try ?.

HI ALL
    I have been playing RTW since it first came out, and i still think its a great game ,BUT its approaching thirteen and a half years old now ,i am sure you would agree very old for a computer game ,and on a very good night we might see 40 to 50 players in the lobby ,but normally players only number into the twenties or below ,those that have played RTW in the past will remember the lobbies being full every night ,and loads of games up either being played or waiting for players to join ,so due to the age of RTW there has been a steep decline in people playing RTW over the last few years.
    I have played all the total war game except Warhammer ,and have found RTW seems to have a special ingredient ,i find that RTW with its thirteen and a half year old graphics might not look that good ,but the game play which really makes a game is really good ,so i think if we could just encourage people to give RTW a chance they may well experience how good a game it still is ,and maybe start to like it and play it, like we all did ,we still have great 3v3 and 4v4 large battles on RTW ,mostly on Fridays and Saturdays now ,but even on some of those two popular nights its some times difficult to get the numbers to play ,sometimes we get veterans returning who might have had a break form RTW for several years ,thats always nice to see.

So i just wondered if any one would have any suggestions on how we could encourage new players to give RTW a chance ?.
    Last edited by spart_commander; February 27, 2018 at 04:44 AM.

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: How can we get more new players to give RTW a try ?.

Try to persuade CA to give us a remastered version of the game .But i dont think they will do it.

HI CRAZY
    Lol no i don't think they will !! ,its just we were talking about this on RTW the other night ,and saying what a great game it still is ,but not knowing how to encourage new players to give it a try ,so i thought i would ask here just to see if any one might have some ideas on how we can get new players onto RTW ,i encourage RTW players to have RTW Utube battle channels so that maybe people who are looking for that style of game might kind of bump into them, and see what a great game it still is ,thanks for you interest and reply.

Hi spart.
    Rtw is one of my favorites.I will always hope for a remaster or at least a patch or something.Most new players when they see the graphics they will be discouraged and not play it.

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

I think you may be missing a fairly big demographic. Im not sure on the stats, but i would think the majority who are still playing RTW like myself only play single player. If you could convince people like me to go play multi, you could bump the numbers.
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

HI ULTRA 123
    We mostly play RTW Multiplayer on Friday and Saturday evening/nights ,last Friday there were 50 in the multiplayer lobby ,Saturday there was about 35 ,we play 31k battles ,and are often still playing RTW at 2am (UK time) ,we still have really great battles ,if you fancy a couple of Multiplayer battles please come onto Multiplayer Fridays and Saturdays ,my RTW name is _SPARTAN_COMMANDER_ ,and im a part of the Brotherhood clan ,thought to be the oldest long lasting clan on RTW , been going since Jan,2005 ,you would be welcome to join our battles ,just to see what you think.

The BH have our own YouTube channel with 375 Multiplayer battles ,ALL with commentary ,and mostly 4v4 large battles ,please have a look and see what you think here is a link to our latest Multiplayer battle that i only put on yesterday ,i hope you like it.

I still play it... but just single player... maybe I'll try the multiplayer

HI ROBY
    We still have great multiplayer battles ,if you fancy a game ,you will find most people are on Fridays and Saturdays ,even though the game is about fourteen and a half years old ,its still a great game ,so give multiplayer a chance and see what you think ,we usually play large 3v3s or 4v4s battles ,hope to see you on RTW Multi this weekend.

Hi spart_commander,

So this is my opinion. I played my fair bit of MP some years ago and got some experience, so I'm not a random noob. Not that I'm someone you may know, I used to play mostly 1v1 CWB and still I wasn't in a clan or generally that much invested in building a reputation or whatnot.

Below you find the 3 main reasons why I stopped playing RTW online and started looking for something else (with RTW mods). I ended up playing Europa Barbarorum online, which solved the 3 problems, and never looked back since then.

1) Balance. Mostly it's the same factions that keep popping up in every battle at equal budget, and in order to make some factions playable (not to be confused with strong) you need to introduce money differences between the players, which is of course inserting a level of arbitrariness in the matchup.

2) Lack of variety. If you exclude a couple of factions, most rosters have only a handful of units. This leads to most factions having to rely on an incomplete roster, heavily lacking in some areas (cavalry/heavy infantry/archers/whatever) and thus forcing said factions to rely on gimmicky mechanics in order to win. Furthermore, something you see quite often is some factions spamming the same 3-4 units 99% of the battles you fight. I personally like to have different options when building an army, in order to be flexible and adaptable to different situations.
    Also the fact that there are 4 Roman factions, coupled with the great strength and flexibility of the Roman roster, makes a lot of battles feel repetitive because of the overwhelming presence of Romans.

3) Lack of tactical depth. Low defence, low morale and high unit speed (especially cavalry, we all know how badly this game is dominated by cavalry) usually mean that a lot of tactical manoeuvring is impossible and battles are over waaay to fast (IMHO, of course).
    When I watched your last MP video, I saw the duration of the recorded game is 946k frames, or whatever the numbers in the top right corner are. For a 4v4. In my mindset, 964k is nothing: in Europa Barbarorum 964k is more or less the standard length of a 1v1, and because of that you have more time to think and act tactically.
    This may be one of the biggest turnoffs for newcomers: micro skills come with time, and more experienced players with superior micro usually roll over newer players regardless of the tactic and the approach, just by sheer micro speed. Speed is important, don't get me wrong, but it shouldn't be everything.

As a side note, another turnoff may be the toxicity of some players. I often met trashtalkers who constantly whined on everything and yelled at newer players when they did something wrong. I didn't care that much at the time and I still don't, but this may be frustrating for someone who just started playing. That's why I always tried to act friendly and offer suggestions/help when meeting an inexperienced player.

Something that I'd like to see is some advertisement: if tournaments are hosted, let the crowd know! If expert from HoS or CoH clans are fighting for the Cup of Nations, let the crowd know! Here on TWC you can do as much advertisement as you want. Twitch streams may do something as well: if a third player (possibly someone who knows what he's doing) observes the game and comments on stuff, we may get quality commentaries on quality games.
    Anyway, those were my two cents. Good luck for your efforts, I really wish you the best! I sincerely enjoy your commentary, you have a good knowledge of the game and you give the right amount of information on units, mechanics and tactics. Keep up the good work.

HI MEPHISTON
    Thanks very much for taking the time to put all your thoughts about this subject here ,very interesting read ,its great to get peoples opinions on this subject ,im really glad you enjoy our BH YouTube Multiplayer RTW battle videos ,and im glad you enjoy my commentary (lol im always a bit worried people think im a farmer ,with my country accent !!) .once again thanks very much for your comments,

Serious question: How can anyone possibly enjoy this game?

The AI is so unbelievably broken and I had this issue from when it was released. If a neighbour is bordering you they pretty much automatically declare war so the game feels no more deep than a map colouring exercise. Has someone managed to mod it so that diplomacy actually exists in this game? Because if not, where is the enjoyment to be had?

HI USERXYZ
    Yes the A.I is not very good ,BUT we play Multiplayer rather than campaign ,we find the enjoyment in large 3v3 or 4v4 multiplayer battles ,i'm not sure if you have given the Multiplayer a try ? ,but thats where we find the fun and enjoyment there ,yes the game is nearly 15 years old ,but if you ever have had a look at our Brotherhood YouTube channel we have 384 Multiplayer battles , we find people enjoy watching them and we now have over 67.000 total views ,not bad for such an old game ,if ever you fancy a Multiplayer game we mostly play Friday and Saturday evening/nights ,thanks for your comments.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by userxyz View Post
    The AI is so unbelievably broken and I had this issue from when it was released. If a neighbour is bordering you they pretty much automatically declare war so the game feels no more deep than a map colouring exercise. Has someone managed to mod it so that diplomacy actually exists in this game? Because if not, where is the enjoyment to be had?
    FATW does have a good diplomacy, imo.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

LOL ! Have you ever tried a mod ? Have you ever tried roleplaying with a mod ? Try it and then we speak . Even in vanilla, roleplaying is awesome and gives new life to the game .

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I really enjoy RTW. Why?

It is simple, becasue RTW has a historical depth in-game and I'm not referring to historical accuracy. No, what I mean is what makes RTW equal to what depth Morrowind has in-game despite for being over 15 year old game and people still release mods, which I think attracts people to mod RTW today.

That is why I always came back to play RTW when the mood strikes and the same thing applies for MTW. Especially, the Viking Invasion in MTW and the Barbarian Invasion in RTW.

You need to keep in mind that the game engine CA used for RTW was simple and didn't had much features back then such advanced AI diplomacy that NTW had, not even ETW had that kind of diplomacy.

Also, using a simple game engine often generates a lots of bugs in which CA more or less ignored to fix.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

Simple really, we didn't have any other games like this one at the time. Europa Universalis was not famous yet back then. We only had Medieval 1 and Shogun 1 to play if not Rome. Roleplaying and setting various personal goals is what made RTW fun for alot of us.

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Why bother? CA ed up so much after Medieval 2 - with the exception of Shogun 2 - that people either give up on the series or just go back from time to time. The game's old of course, but the CA that created it is no more. Neither has the new CA ever surpassed the engine of Medieval 2 - which was the best of all TW games. TW just ended years ago.

Remasterd? By CA?... Rome 2 was .... It's just good that no one can take away the old games.

The game has died many years ago I'm afraid, the final nail in the coffin was the Gamespy closure, which made a lot of people leave. Yes, the multiplayer servers ended up coming back again but it never was the same. I was very active in multiplayer between 2010-2014, but I haven't played in years.

Hoplite of Illis is right, the game will not be remastered. They're focusing on a different audience now. The newer games are not really my cup of tea, I haven't really played any newer title since the mess that's called "Rome II" got released.

Quote Originally Posted by mephiston View Post
    Hi spart_commander,

So this is my opinion. I played my fair bit of MP some years ago and got some experience, so I'm not a random noob. Not that I'm someone you may know, I used to play mostly 1v1 CWB and still I wasn't in a clan or generally that much invested in building a reputation or whatnot.

Below you find the 3 main reasons why I stopped playing RTW online and started looking for something else (with RTW mods). I ended up playing Europa Barbarorum online, which solved the 3 problems, and never looked back since then.

1) Balance. Mostly it's the same factions that keep popping up in every battle at equal budget, and in order to make some factions playable (not to be confused with strong) you need to introduce money differences between the players, which is of course inserting a level of arbitrariness in the matchup.

2) Lack of variety. If you exclude a couple of factions, most rosters have only a handful of units. This leads to most factions having to rely on an incomplete roster, heavily lacking in some areas (cavalry/heavy infantry/archers/whatever) and thus forcing said factions to rely on gimmicky mechanics in order to win. Furthermore, something you see quite often is some factions spamming the same 3-4 units 99% of the battles you fight. I personally like to have different options when building an army, in order to be flexible and adaptable to different situations.
    Also the fact that there are 4 Roman factions, coupled with the great strength and flexibility of the Roman roster, makes a lot of battles feel repetitive because of the overwhelming presence of Romans.

3) Lack of tactical depth. Low defence, low morale and high unit speed (especially cavalry, we all know how badly this game is dominated by cavalry) usually mean that a lot of tactical manoeuvring is impossible and battles are over waaay to fast (IMHO, of course).
    When I watched your last MP video, I saw the duration of the recorded game is 946k frames, or whatever the numbers in the top right corner are. For a 4v4. In my mindset, 964k is nothing: in Europa Barbarorum 964k is more or less the standard length of a 1v1, and because of that you have more time to think and act tactically.
    This may be one of the biggest turnoffs for newcomers: micro skills come with time, and more experienced players with superior micro usually roll over newer players regardless of the tactic and the approach, just by sheer micro speed. Speed is important, don't get me wrong, but it shouldn't be everything.

As a side note, another turnoff may be the toxicity of some players. I often met trashtalkers who constantly whined on everything and yelled at newer players when they did something wrong. I didn't care that much at the time and I still don't, but this may be frustrating for someone who just started playing. That's why I always tried to act friendly and offer suggestions/help when meeting an inexperienced player.

Something that I'd like to see is some advertisement: if tournaments are hosted, let the crowd know! If expert from HoS or CoH clans are fighting for the Cup of Nations, let the crowd know! Here on TWC you can do as much advertisement as you want. Twitch streams may do something as well: if a third player (possibly someone who knows what he's doing) observes the game and comments on stuff, we may get quality commentaries on quality games.
    Anyway, those were my two cents. Good luck for your efforts, I really wish you the best! I sincerely enjoy your commentary, you have a good knowledge of the game and you give the right amount of information on units, mechanics and tactics. Keep up the good work.
    this is likely a dead thread, but i will reply anyway. When i played Rome 1 multiplayer WAY back in the day, i attempted to make a sort of fan-made patch so that battles could be more complex and so that utterly overwhelmed factions (such as the gauls) would be closer in strength to the other factions. it fell flat on its face, in part due to my immaturity and lack of experience as a teen and in part due to the community unwilling to change. I gave up on it, and then i suggested a new ruleset, where the low tier factions would be allowed to use more money etc. the community was not welcoming towards that either.

idk how old you are, but i am assuming you are at least a millennial, so my age or older. whether we like it or not, WE are the adults now. we should be capable of changing a game, through minimods or rule changes so it can be more entertaining for us.