Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baktria and India?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Baktria and India?

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I'm on the EB team so that's not news to me. Anyway, it was a little annoying to the historians to see exact replicas (units) that were their concepted idea and not be credited or recognized in any way. In fact some of these replicas were ideas that only they had about very obscure periods of time and places (which allowed them to identify and know their work was copied).
    So you're saying that those units were actually made up in the first place and not based on actual historical source created by EB and copied by CA ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    So you're saying that those units were actually made up in the first place and not based on actual historical source created by EB and copied by CA ?
    Basically they did excavations in certain places I can't remember all the details, with a team from some university (Oxford?) I genuinely can't remember which one is the Oxford one anymore. One of them is a professor there, the others are mainly finished their phd or phd students from various universities.

Anyway, long story short, yes CA copied EB.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Basically they did excavations in certain places I can't remember all the details, with a team from some university (Oxford?) I genuinely can't remember which one is the Oxford one anymore. One of them is a professor there, the others are mainly finished their phd or phd students from various universities.

Anyway, long story short, yes CA copied EB.
    I'm having trouble following what you're trying to get at.

You're saying a team from Oxford did some excavations that uncovered some of the evidence off which these units are based -> Therefore CA copied EB?

I don't think that's the point you're trying to make, but that's what it sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    I'm having trouble following what you're trying to get at.

You're saying a team from Oxford did some excavations that uncovered some of the evidence off which these units are based -> Therefore CA copied EB?

I don't think that's the point you're trying to make, but that's what it sounds like.
    Yeah only their findings weren't published at the time or something along those lines, so the only way they'd have been able to draw the same conclusions is if they used the same work from EB.

The point is really simple, CA copied EB for RTW2 hence the unit variety since they didn't have to concept much themselves.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Do you mean, that people who worked on EB were also part of the archaeological team from Oxford?

Rumor has it that Oxford is only a submod of EB.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Do you mean, that people who worked on EB were also part of the archaeological team from Oxford?
    I actually made the effort to go back 5 years ago through a forum time travel machine to find this part of a post from one of them because I was tired of running off of my memory.

So I found out today, scanning the Rome II forum at TWcenter, that CA had several commented-out units in the original RII, apparently so that they could give them as "new" units with future DLC. Among them are EB's Gallothracians and Komatai Epilektoi, two units I conceived entirely on my own from archaeological research in Bulgaria, and had never been featured in an Osprey or something like that, but boom, CA has 'em ready for Rome II!
    He was on an archaeological team doing excavations there for his university (he was a professor or PHD student at the time, I'm fuzzy on when he became a prof).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    Rumor has it that Oxford is only a submod of EB.
    That's true, britain is technically a subdivision of barbarians within europe and by extension oxford! After all, it's the little island beeeeside europe.
    Last edited by Frunk; March 03, 2018 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Posts merged.
    The AI Workshop Creator

I actually made the effort to go back 5 years ago through a forum time travel machine to find this part of a post from one of them because I was tired of running off of my memory.
    He was on an archaeological team doing excavations there for his university (he was a professor or PHD student at the time, I'm fuzzy on when he became a prof).
    So they were units that weren't in the game? The only references I can find to these are in EB and DEI.

Is there anything that actually made it into the game that can be pointed to as lifted directly from EB?

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    So they were units that weren't in the game? The only references I can find to these are in EB and DEI.

Is there anything that actually made it into the game that can be pointed to as lifted directly from EB?
    Have you played Rome 2 before?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gizj_qKnbFY
    The AI Workshop Creator

Have you played Rome 2 before?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gizj_qKnbFY
    Ah forgot about those. Haven't played in a while. Got confused by the "commented out" bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Back in the day CA announced that they have a historian helping them out with the upcoming title i.e. 3K, so that's a gleam of hope.
    Do you know who it is? If it's Dr. Rafe de Crespigny (he's retired as a professor now, so he might have more time) then that's a relief. If it's someone like CJ Peers, then any hope there is worth a fart in the wind.
    "The only thing I'm afraid of is fear." Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Interesting! Thanks for that. +rep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12