Thread: The One Thing That Needs Fixing...

Default The One Thing That Needs Fixing...

I love the original Medieval's interesting campaign map game play dynamics, and despite the low tech graphics, the battles are still fun...

But there in lies the problem... while the game will tell you if your commanding general has died, it won't let you know if any of the generals from your other units have died. This really pisses me off when I think I've done well in a battle, only to find that my faction heir died in the fighting (while my faction leader was commanding), or when that high arccum (sp?) general bites it and I don't know...

It's this seemingly tiny problem that stops me from playing the original Medieval. I wish there were some way I could know if one of my more important people has died. A seperate unit model like in Rome and Medieval 2, and a specail flag above the general's head... something!

Does anyone else have this same problem? Is there some way to fix it?

Default Re: The One Thing That Needs Fixing...

All you can do is check the generals of those important units by right clicking on the units themselves in the Review Panel on the campaign map.

Unless you run the Green Generals command line (not used by the game by default, you need to create a shortcut and edit the command line of that shortcut), though, non-Royal generals only die in name and appearance, but their loyalty, piety, dread, command, acumen and both vices and virtues remain the same.

This counts for generals who are not Heirs or the King. People of Royal Blood are just fine as long as they're no longer Heirs to the throne.

You have two sets of generals - Royal and non-Royal. Royal usually have the Royal Knights/Ghulam Bodyguards/Chivalric Knights/etc as their unit. The non-Royal are more like noblemen and the lower classes who become your vassals when you give them titles and offices, and they are basically the heads of the units you train, such as Spearmen, Archers, Royal Knights (you can train them, but they won't be heirs or of Royal Blood - they're more like the high-up noblemen, but not quite royalty), etc. Any named character who is not the king or an heir can get a title or office if you want to assign them an available one. This element works fine, more or less. No arbitrary Generals/Captains system. Separate units for those with positions of power aren't really necessary.

I guess you're real frustration is with not properly being informed on the battlemap of deaths, and I can understand that. Just check the leaders of each individual unit after the battle to be sure, that's the only thing I can really say. Other than that, don't send certain generals (such as those with high acumen and who run provinces) into battle.

Also, pay very close attention on the campaign map to the little symbols by the units. They tell you command stars, valour, whether or not they are the king or heirs, etc. The little scrolls by the units tell you who is in possession of a title or office.

PS: You do get informed of people in positions of power dying of old age, also. But without the Green Generals command line being run, it's just in name and appearance. They will still have the same vices and virtues, command, etc. I wouldn't worry therefore if you don't run the command. All you need worry about is the king and current heirs in this case (they can die altogether).
    Last edited by Kaidonni; January 13, 2007 at 05:00 PM.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

You can check which important figures are leading which units in the battle view by pressing F2 (one or two times). You can find that unit and try and protect it from battle, maybe use it as reserves. That's what I do sometimes.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

cegorach's Avatar Artifex

You mean F1, I think F2 is for screenshots...
    Enemy of 'illiberal democracies', member of the B.A.L.T.S.
    VISIT Pike and Musket forums VISIT the amazing site about PLC
    under the patronage of the mighty ASTERIX

Right, sorry. I just kind of push at random and seen to hit it.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

What is Green Generals?

Anyway, you know what I think would be great? If Medieval I's campaign map (in all is Risk style glory) were to be mated with the graphics and battle mechanics of Rome or Medieval II (preferabely Rome since Medieval II has more serious battle bugs).

Still, I tihnk I may have indeed overreacted a bit. It's just that I'm used to my generals being close to the last ones to die in thier units, which is not the case in Med I...

Quote Originally Posted by Arquebus View Post
    What is Green Generals?
    A command line switch: -green_generals

Add it to the end of your desktop shortcut, and when your generals pass away they will be replaced with inferior replacements, instead of the same general effectively living for ever, and changing names every 50 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    A command line switch: -green_generals

Add it to the end of your desktop shortcut, and when your generals pass away they will be replaced with inferior replacements, instead of the same general effectively living for ever, and changing names every 50 years or so.
    Nice, I never knew that! Thanks a lot. It's really unrealistic how basically the same general can live for 400 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgaroctonus View Post
    Nice, I never knew that! Thanks a lot. It's really unrealistic how basically the same general can live for 400 years.
    It also has a balancing effect in that it eventually rids you of those Byzantine 9 star jedi princes, whom under normal circumstances, when they fall out of the line of succession, become regular generals and never go away.