Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD FAQ Thread

Default Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD FAQ Thread

So this is a thread that is overdue. There are many common questions we get as a team and many we have answered multiple times. We hope this thread will lessen that a bit for modders and fans alike.

Q. How come ___ faction doesn't have ___ unit? Or has ____ equipment?

A. We put a lot of research into our faction rosters. We try to balance realism, accuracy and artistic license. Often times the more popular or biased perspective simply isn't grounded in fact. Obviously if someone makes a compelling argument we take it into consideration but it's still our call at the end of the day.

Q. I often see guys with plate armor and there's all this talk about "tiers." I thought this mod was set in 1212 AD?

A. The starting year for the campaign mode is 1212 AD. However in the interest of making mid and late game interesting we have 3 tiers and each tier represents a certain century. Tier 1 = (1200 - 1300), Tier 2 = (1300 - 1400), Tier 3 = (1400 - 1500)

Q. How does that work for factions that didn't survive the 1200s like Toulouse or the Latin Empire?

A. It's been tricky but in general we try and keep the equipment accurate to aforementioned tiers with plausible and grounded looks for what the faction would look like. Also we tend to change the look to fit a later faction that was in the region. The Almohads reflect this approach well for example.

Q. Are there going to be custom cities, custom ships, trebuchets etc?

A. Yes we will have all of those in due time. It's a matter of manpower and time.

Q. Are you guys making a campaign mode?

A. Yes, we do have a campaign mode in the works. As of me typing this we've made a ton of progress and despite the relative lack of previews we are hard at work behind the scenes.

Q. I don't get it. 1220 AD has a campaign mode and custom cities already? If it's such a lengthy thing to put together, how come that mod got it done much quicker? Don't you work with the guys from that?

A. First off we parted ways in terms of collaboration months ago. He has permission to use our stuff for his mod but otherwise he does his own thing. Second despite how nice those screenshots look, 1220 AD is actually rather buggy with it's cities. This is not slander either. I've played sieges where the siege towers can't reach the wall or buildings are just bugged. He took modded buildings and called them vanilla names, regardless of how functional it is.

Q. But what about other mods that have a campaign mode like 1295 or others?

A. Those mods are ultimately glorified texture swaps. In terms of gameplay they are just like Attila or AoC. It's simply not the same as what we are doing. Our campaign mode for example will have custom building trees and faction traits. Diplomacy more reflective of the timeframe and that's just for the alpha! Basically our gameplay experience will be deeper.

Q. Do you have any estimate on when the campaign mode will be ready?

A. We still don't have a solid answer at this time. Once we go into alpha testing we'll try to give an estimate.

Q. What about some kind of a release to tide us over?

A. I originally made a promise not to have yet another version without a campaign mode but if there's enough of a demand for something else even if there's no campaign mode then we will consider it. Good news is since CA adjusted the pack file limit we are finally able to upload all the pack files to the workshop directly for the first time! That will help everyone out immensely. We are considering putting out an updated release that will also double as the trial run for the mod being workshop only. If we decide on that it will be around April before ToB comes out. Stay tuned on that.

Q. If we do get an update in April. Will that delay the campaign mode even further?

A. We have different members working on different things. As a result the campaign work is unaffected by this plan.

Q. What ever happened to the weekly videos you used to do?

A. I honestly got burnt out by September. I do plan to do some more at some point but I don't know when at this time.

I'll add to this post as things progress. I hope that clears some stuff up.
    Last edited by warman222; March 04, 2018 at 05:55 PM.

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD FAQ Thread

Great stuff! You got my vote on a pre-release before the campaign .

Quote Originally Posted by Filips Augustus View Post
    Seconded, another release even without campaign would be awesome!

claymore833's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Knight2708 View Post
    Seconded, another release even without campaign would be awesome!
    Thirded.
    The Pike & Musket mod is active again in 2016, check the PMTW Sub Forum now!

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Question: In the future ,when Thrones of Britannia comes out ,will you use some of the siege maps + the buildings for the siege battles just like you did for some of the Warhammer buildings (that look kinda over the top for a historical total war game/mod.Expecialy the 20 meters high ,but 1x1 meters long and wide tower/house)?From What I saw some of the updated civilian buildings are updated to look a bit more medieval and dont have germanic pagan symbols around the roofs.

We're likely going to texture the fortifications and city structures differently to cut time corners. Depends if the team recruits somebody focused entirely on producing city assets.

frostgod's Avatar Laetus

Literally never post but have been following this mod since the unit packs on Rome II. Excellent work by the whole team and by far my most played mod. Another custom battle release would be great on steam.

What about your Monthly Videos?

I am hoping to see some videos too but i am guessing the guys are busy at work.

How terrible it must be to face us; the sons of the wolf and the bear! Even now fear works in the bowels of our foes! I do not fight with a cool head today, I admit it. My eyes see only a red mist. I do not want them to run from battle, I want their heads on our pikes by evening! We go now to our bloody business!

My two cents, I'd rather you keep at the campaign instead of another pre-release. The finished product interests me far more than more refined custom battles.

Quote Originally Posted by mw51630 View Post
    My two cents, I'd rather you keep at the campaign instead of another pre-release. The finished product interests me far more than more refined custom battles.
    They're not worked on by the same members of the team. Some people are working on unit implementation and balancing, whereas I'm doing the bulk of the campaign foundations, with support from finix in the 2D department.

The idea of releasing a custom battle update is twofold :
    1) It gives us the ability to get large scale feedback on changes to combat values
    2) It gives people some new stuff to play with

What releasing a custom battle update does NOT do is delay the release of the campaign. To finish building up the alpha build of the campaign, I need those unit tables anyway. The only thing you get for getting campaign in the next patch is more time without new content. I'm certain that we'll be able to give out information about the campaign design and progress at around the time we would hypothetically release a custom battle patch. The new changes CA made to the mod manager also allows us to update more regularly since we are no longer limited in the size of the files.

Quote Originally Posted by zsimmortal View Post
    They're not worked on by the same members of the team. Some people are working on unit implementation and balancing, whereas I'm doing the bulk of the campaign foundations, with support from finix in the 2D department.

1) It gives us the ability to get large scale feedback on changes to combat values

What releasing a custom battle update does NOT do is delay the release of the campaign. To finish building up the alpha build of the campaign, I need those unit tables anyway. The only thing you get for getting campaign in the next patch is more time without new content. I'm certain that we'll be able to give out information about the campaign design and progress at around the time we would hypothetically release a custom battle patch. The new changes CA made to the mod manager also allows us to update more regularly since we are no longer limited in the size of the files.
    Well then there really seems to be no reason not to have a custom battle release next. Personally, I absolutely cant wait to try out all the new changes, units and factions and it will be really refreshing to get access to all the new content, especially since its been quite a while since the last release and so much has been added since then.

frostgod's Avatar Laetus

Releasing a complete custom battle version, would to my imagine, compile all of the units that different people are working on and would in fact finish the unit side of the mod yes? I think that would only help the campaign as the unit implementation for the factions is all there for whoever is working on said faction.

LEG-IV's Avatar Foederatus

I hope the campaign will be released this century...

xMaTx's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Filips Augustus View Post
    Fourthed. Also thanks for the update, it is allways nice to hear what the teams plans to do and how it is going so far. I just hope that medieval 3 total war doesn't come earlier than this mod

Blak's Avatar Libertus

pre release before campaign please !
    others be like:
    I be like:

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

Yes, I would like pre-release before the campaign too

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

definetly pre-release

Quote Originally Posted by zsimmortal View Post

Then i would very much like a new custom release as well. Just a question, will you condense some of the factions then? Like at the beginning when the earldoms were in the English roster, and possibly making the German factions under the Empire etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliverkahn View Post
    Then i would very much like a new custom release as well. Just a question, will you condense some of the factions then? Like at the beginning when the earldoms were in the English roster, and possibly making the German factions under the Empire etc?
    Why do you want to merge the independent factions under the Empires or Kingdoms. This merging of small factions would kill their uniqueness and variety of factions within, for example, the HRE.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast