Thread: ETW reinstall not working?

Default ETW reinstall not working?

Sorry to ask but I’m a complete newb. I stupidly installed a mod which I now regret (because I didn’t back up the original files). Now I want to revert to the original ETW. I uninstalled the game on Steam and then reinstalled (downloaded) it again. But now it won’t run at all? It just doesn’t do anything - when I double click on the game it briefly says ‘running’ but that disappears and the game doesn’t start.

I’ve no idea what to try next? Any suggestions of help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Default Re: ETW reinstall not working?

Quote Originally Posted by Dendroaspis View Post
    Sorry to ask but I’m a complete newb. I stupidly installed a mod which I now regret (because I didn’t back up the original files). Now I want to revert to the original ETW. I uninstalled the game on Steam and then reinstalled (downloaded) it again. But now it won’t run at all? It just doesn’t do anything - when I double click on the game it briefly says ‘running’ but that disappears and the game doesn’t start.

Thanks in advance.

Jake
    Hey Jake, try a simple 'verify integrity of game cache' on Steam. 9/10 that should sort any issues you have with loading up the game. If it doesn't however, you may need to delve a little deeper. It may be a registry issue, and if that's the case, you might need to have a look at clearing your registry from all associations with Empire Total War. Even if you uninstall a program, you'll often find that the registry will still hold values relating to that program after the installation which can cause issues on a 'fresh' install.

Did you use a mod manager to load it at all? If you didn't, and placed the mod directly in the game directory, navigate there and see if the .PACK is still in the installation folder, and just delete it.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Dendroaspis View Post

Thanks in advance.

Jake
    Welcome to TWC, Denroaspis!

First, what mod did you installed and second have you deleted the script folder, located in - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Delete the script folder (I bolded in blue) then reinstall ETW and only launch it before installing any mod, just to see if it's working. Also, feel free to come back ask for our help, should you need more help.

Quote Originally Posted by Izsx View Post
    Did you use a mod manager to load it at all? If you didn't, and placed the mod directly in the game directory, navigate there and see if the .PACK is still in the installation folder, and just delete it.
    To my knowledge a mod manager for ETW doesn't exist, expect for the PackFile Manager (PFM) of course, but I wouldn't consider PFM a mod manager.

Most mods are mod foldered, which means that all vanilla files will be intact and that's the purpose for mods to be mod foldered.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Welcome to TWC, Denroaspis!

First, what mod did you installed and second have you deleted the script folder, located in - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Delete the script folder (I bolded in blue) then reinstall ETW and only launch it before installing any mod, just to see if it's working. Also, feel free to come back ask for our help, should you need more help.

To my knowledge a mod manager for ETW doesn't exist, expect for the PackFile Manager (PFM) of course, but I wouldn't consider PFM a mod manager.

Most mods are mod foldered, which means that all vanilla files will be intact and that's the purpose for mods to be mod foldered.
    Thanks for the responses guys! I’ll try them shortly and see if they work for me. Really appreciate everyone’s help.

Jake
    Last edited by lolIsuck; February 14, 2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: double post merged

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post

Hey Leonardo, there is indeed a mod manager out there! It's LtChamber's mod manager, and can be found here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...download-link)

It's nothing hugely complex, but it's fantastic for keeping track of your installed mods, turning mods on and off, etc.