Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what factions in Warhammer 3?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: what factions in Warhammer 3?

This would be the perfect map for WH3 IMO

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Why yes, that'd be a very nice map, Steph.

I do hope we get more than Darklands, Mountains of Mourn and the Chaos Wastes because that'd be one visually depressing map. It'd be a map consisting almost entirely of industrial wasteland, mountains and Chaos wasteland with only the southern part of the map having some more variety.

Patrician Artifex

And the map "only" increase the size of the ME map playable area by 50% eastward, and 20% southward (actually less, it"s more shifting lustria/southlands to put more or it).
    It should be possible to absord with some optimizations.

I found recently very great map on reddit and TW forum. This would be great final state for ME2.0 :-) I love especially all old crazy locations as "south pole continent", sunked lands etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...imes_werent_a/
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And this thread where is nice globus projection
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...nal-map#latest
    Warning, 50mb gif
    https://imgur.com/a/bdEY3Sn
    Last edited by Daruwind; November 12, 2019 at 10:02 AM.

Patrician Artifex

That is indeed a VERY nice map.
    - Lustria and Southlands are avaialable completly, with possibility of circumnavigation
    - More regions in Bretonnia, Estalia and Tilea make these areas more interesting.
    - Sunken lands and Isles of Lustria: Amazons confirmed
    - Cathay, Nippon, Ind are in, makes for some interesting new races beside Chaos and Ogres

I think there could be a few changes to make it even better:
    - There are 50 regions for Empire (including Sylvania). And around 50 for Darklands, and 50 for the mountain of Mourn. I think it may be too much. so the size of the added part could be reduced by maybe 20 to 25% (so with 35-40 regions instead of 50, I think it's more than sufficient).
    - Add a few travel points to move from the east side of the map and reappear on the west side a few turns later.
    - Quenelles is too big and could be split in 2, same for Bastonne (and this would make 3 region provinces). Same for Averheim.

I think the northern steppes, inhabited by the Norsca's cousins of the Kurgan and Hung tribes with some added hobgoblins probably warrant a reduction of the number of settlements/provinces more than the ones you suggest but I largely agree with that Steph. I do like this map and hope it's the one we see something like this (although I doubt it) but the overall number of regions added in the east can be scaled down a fair bit. I don't think the Empire will see a decrease in the number of settlements though and I doubt people would want that given that the Empire is the most popular faction.

Patrician Artifex

I'm not sure how polar regions. I also think they may have too many settlements, espacially in the North East.
    But that also depends on the race planned by CA for Game 3. If they have an heavy focus on Chaos, may be they need more room to play.

Same for South Pole. Maybe it can completly removed. Maybe it should be kept to have Chaos invasion from the South, more direct threat for the Lizardmen than if they only come from the North.

I would kept all those strange regions (and i know it is ridiculously big map but what the heck ). Reason is simple, more complex map logic. The best campaign map up to date for me is Empire, because it is so large, so many continents. Even ME in my eyes is suffering from issue that all oceans are more likely ponds. In my eyes you can change that with enough islands, stuff like south pole with chaos..because such features simple divide map into smaller subsections. Like having Lustria and Southlands be actual continents with water around them and with a few islands you have actual reason to go around and settle those islands as your forward base.

I always like Empire for this ability to start distant land exploration in multiple directions. Like Britain. You can go Gibraltar, France...or head into N. America frontier/13colonies, Carribean islands, S America or even went into India.

Patrician Artifex

You can keep the map shape, but reduce the number of regions. Do we really need 40 regions North of the Great Bastions? 20 should be sufficient.

The best would be... a map editor! Where we could define region borders, add or remove regions, and reassign them to provicnes.

I don't mind if coastlines, mountains, forests, etc are fixed and not editable.

For those not knowing, Games Workshop decided to ..."reboot" Old World Fantasy. Basically saying Old World is now to Age of Sigmar what is 30K to 40K.

Older post with announcement:
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/...new-warhammer/

But reason why I´m writing this. I expected it would take some time before we will know anything and yet we just got "new" map for Old World.
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-1/

Beautiful new map.

You can compare with old one.
    -Albion is moved at first glance.
    -Estalia, Tilea, Border Princes seem to be more massive landmass now

This is interesting for a few reason. Looks like GW might tackle a few things and it can actually influence TW Wh to some degree. Basically if they already have some ideas what will change...let´s say Araby, it would be easy reason to tell CA not to do Araby because it will change in some time. Especially if you read the first article it sounds like the idea is not completely new so I won´t be surprised if things were influenced both ways.

On second page, there is short video featuring 4 Coat of Arms.
    -Marienburg
    -Reikland
    -Middenheim
    -and looks like Wood Elves somewhere around River Stir, north of Stirland.

Last edited by Daruwind; February 06, 2020 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    On second page, there is short video featuring 4 Coat of Arms.
    -Marienburg
    -Reikland
    -Middenheim
    -and looks like Wood Elves somewhere around River Stir, north of Stirland.
    I'd say it's more likely to be Talabecland than Wood Elves, indicating that it is a map of the Age of Three Emperors (https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/...Three_Emperors).
    There were an Emperor in Talabecland, Reikland, Marienburg, plus an ancient pretender in Middenland.

Actually that would make perfect sense! Tree heraldy...

EDIT: so it really looks liek the map is like 500 years back from current "TW presence". Could GW go back in history, except that would remove a lot things...Imperial Magic Colleges, Chaos Hellcannon, low gunpowder, no Vampire Vargheists at least what I put together with internet help.

The map is work in progress, lower part and many cities are not on it. Basically the area with Coats seems done while rest not.

So I´m little confuse here. GW splitting timeline/making chaos in past? Endtimes 2.0 all over?
    Last edited by Daruwind; February 06, 2020 at 05:30 PM.

I think the Southern Realms don't look that much bigger than in older maps, it's just that in the games the entire Old World apart from the Empire has been shrunken. Bretonnia is at two Dukedoms per province (half of them not represented in game) instead of a province per Dukedom. Estalia and Tilea are only single provinces, the Border Princes two. The Vaults are supposed to be a cluster of Dwarves, Skaven and some Orcs yet the area is far too tame.

Patrician Artifex

I hope CA does an update of the map, a least for the mega map with game 3:

Empire:
    - Hochland : Brass keep start with Chaos, add a region to the West (Krudenwald)
    - Nordland : move Norden to Nordland (i.e. add a region East of Nordland, named Norden) --> 3 regions in Nordland
    - Ostland: rename Norden to Salkaten
    - Averland: one more region to the West (Legenfeld of Streissen)
    - Stirland: one more region to the East (Siegfriedhof)

Bretonnia:
    - Promote the current minor region to a major settlement, so each dukedom is at the same level (while is Artois bigger than Gisoreux for exemple, they should be same level)
    - Split each region in two, to keep the current one as major settlement, and add a new minor region

--> Each dukedom is its own province, with two regions in each. CA already has the Wood Elves campaign for Warhammer I to get the region names...

Estalia/Tilea:
    - Something similar: at least double the number of region/provinces and add minor factions.

Chaos Dwarves and Ogres

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I hope CA does an update of the map, a least for the mega map with game 3:

Empire:
    - Hochland : Brass keep start with Chaos, add a region to the West (Krudenwald)
    - Nordland : move Norden to Nordland (i.e. add a region East of Nordland, named Norden) --> 3 regions in Nordland
    - Ostland: rename Norden to Salkaten
    - Averland: one more region to the West (Legenfeld of Streissen)
    - Stirland: one more region to the East (Siegfriedhof)

Bretonnia:
    - Promote the current minor region to a major settlement, so each dukedom is at the same level (while is Artois bigger than Gisoreux for exemple, they should be same level)
    - Split each region in two, to keep the current one as major settlement, and add a new minor region

--> Each dukedom is its own province, with two regions in each. CA already has the Wood Elves campaign for Warhammer I to get the region names...

Estalia/Tilea:
    - Something similar: at least double the number of region/provinces and add minor factions.
    Some good suggestions here. I gave it a shot with the new map, which obviously doesn't entirely match the current Warhammer map. Some Bretonnian Dukedoms are pretty hard to make into a decent standalone province as they lack either towns or space to put them but I tried anyway.

Each Dukedom has been made its own province, most with 2 regions but some with 3. Tilea, Estalia and the land of the Border Princes have all had territories added. I made the minor settlements for Tilea bigger as they're all supposed to be city states (apart from Monte Castello) and representing them with a mere minor settlement would be a bit of a disservice. The Vaults has been split in three, to add some more enemies to the region.
    I've colour-coded the settlements after which race owns it, the colours are as follows:
    Bretonnia (dark blue)
    Dwarfs (teal)
    Greenskins (light green)
    Undead (purple)
    Skaven (yellow)
    Estalia (orange)
    Tilea (white)
    Border Princes (beige)
    Wood Elves (dark green)
    Empire (red)
    Beastmen spawn locations (brown)
    Undecided (grey)

I tried to represent the fact that the Bretonnian forests are supposed to be unpleasant places crawling with beastmen and undead. I also tried to up the Greenskin threat a bit as well as adding some more Skaven around the Old World. As I said before, it is really hard to find a decent minor settlement for quite a few of these.
    - I gave Tancred Castle to the Orcs instead of Louen to serve as a speedbump for him.
    - Gisoreux only has Castle Desfleuve which is right between it and Fort Bergbres which doesn't really work so I guess the best thing to do is put a minor settlement in the forest.
    - Montfort and Parravon are both very narrow and don't have very many options either but some can be found. For Parravon I picked the Blood Keep which I presume is technically supposed to be on the other side of the mountains in Wissenland but I liked the idea.
    - I picked The Humble Chapel as minor settlement for Bastonne and gave it to the Undead as the forest of Chalons supposedly has quite the Undead precense.
    - Quenelles doesn't really have any useful minor settlement options I could find despite being massive so I just kinda did something. I gave one settlement to the Orcs from Massif Orcal and haven't decided on the other, could be Orcs, Undead, ruined or just simply Bretonnian.
    - Black Chasm has been added to the Massif Orcal province to add some Skaven presence to the area.
    - The southern part of Mousillon is under Undead control, while the northern part is in the hands of the Lyonesse.

Estalia and Tilea somewhat lack enemies within their regions, they mostly just war with themselves. Estalia got done in by Skaven in the End Times so more of them would be good, I gave them the southern settlement in the Abrasko Mountains to represent Spineport, home of Clan Skurvy. They could possibly also get or expand into the mountainous part of Estalia. In the very very unlikely event of Araby being added they might throw some of them across the sea. They could also just add some random enemy in minor settlements in Estalia, that's less the case in Tilea as its "minor settlements" are all supposed to be incredibly rich and powerful city states so danger has to come from eachother or outside. With the added regions in the Vaults there are quite a few enemies there at least and Sartosa and Skavenblight also pose quite a significant threat so all in all it might work.

I split The Vaults in three. The western province contains the Skaven lairs of Putrid Stump and Foul Peak as well as the Dwarf hold of Karak Eksfilaz. The eastern one contains Belegar's start region of Karak Izor and to mirror his current start I gave the two minor settlements (Karak KaferKammaz and another, perhaps Kazad Elgazund?) to the Orcs. The southern one, which also goes into the Apuccini Mountains, has another Skaven lair in Fester Spike, the Dwarf hold of Karak Grom and another Orc settlement, perhaps the current Zarakzil. All in all I hope these added settlements would help in stemming the Ordertide a bit.

For the Border Princes I mostly just added some settlements to split up that ridiculously big area. The most noteworthy change would be the addition of two forest goblin settlements near Karaz-a-Karak.

Patrician Artifex

That's an interesting work you did there.

From http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow.html

Some cities in Quenelles
    - Brusse, Laguiller south near the border with Carcassonne
    - Gien, Chinon near massif Orcal
    - Montlac near the border with Parravon

Enough to make it 3 or even 4 regions.

And I think the part you gave to the GS is actually in Parravon, not Quenelles
    You could give it Parravon instead, with Chambonnay.

If only CA would give us a working map editor... Without going as far as being able to changes landmass, mountains, rivers or forests, I'd be so happy to have the possibiliity to safely add regions and adjust borders.

I will try to post my vision for the map of this area this week-end, maybe in a different thread, it seems we are wandering off topic here.
    Last edited by Steph; February 08, 2020 at 02:04 AM.

Well It is partly my mistake. I tried to keep discussion about map in one thread. :-) Like this is clearly "new" version of map but at the first moment I was thinking if and how this could potentially influence Wh3 or vice versa. (New Old World map? Because WH3 is taking enough time to flesh newly even campaign map) Because one thing is that GW allowed to have CA quite free hand ....(Norsca, Vampire Coast etc) and second is getting approval in case GW is comming back. GW will of course visit money printing Empire and popular factions but they probably msut have framework. What to do with Araby for example etc.

We can probably start new thread with solely discussing this new map and keeping this one for Wh3 map. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    That's an interesting work you did there.

From http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow.html

Some cities in Quenelles
    - Brusse, Laguiller south near the border with Carcassonne
    - Gien, Chinon near massif Orcal
    - Montlac near the border with Parravon

Enough to make it 3 or even 4 regions.

And I think the part you gave to the GS is actually in Parravon, not Quenelles
    You could give it Parravon instead, with Chambonnay.

If only CA would give us a working map editor... Without going as far as being able to changes landmass, mountains, rivers or forests, I'd be so happy to have the possibiliity to safely add regions and adjust borders.

I will try to post my vision for the map of this area this week-end, maybe in a different thread, it seems we are wandering off topic here.
    I used that map as well as some Warhammer wikis, I don't have any direct lore sources though so I don't know how lore-accurate everything is. That Gitzmansgallery map is really nice but I don't know how accurate it is so I tried to not rely on it too much. The only town apart from Quenelles mentioned on the Duchy's wiki for example is Viefin, which isn't on that map. I went with that one and Cuileux, which was an old dukedom in western Quenelles. For Montfort I went with Garban Hold, an orc stronghold somewhere in the duchy. The only ones where I did go with the Gitzman map were Hautmont for Gisoreux, which I moved from what I guess is Couronne's territory to Gisoreux's and the regions of the Border Princes as well as the locations of all the settlements in the Vaults.

As for the Quenelles-Parravon border, it seems to be the river according to the maps I've found so that area should be part of Quenelles.
    I've updated the map with the settlement names and some slight changes. I also removed one of the Beastmen spawn points as apparently that area of the forest of Chalons has very few Beastmen. Courtesy of the Skaven of Black Chasm I assume.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast