Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should humans be considered honorary birds?

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Should humans be considered honorary birds?

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Kiwi's are often called honorary mammals, because of many of their features have more in common with mammals than their fellow birds - the reliance on smell rather than sight, rather poor eyesight, flightless, the almost fur like quality of their feathers, nocturnal.
    I'm no more a fan of New Zealanders than the average person, but this is surely going too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    So platypuses are honorary birds as well as reptiles?
    No, platypuses are not bipedal, they don't rely on their eyesight, they don't have color vision, nor are they particular vocal, and as far as I know, their hearing is not in the same range.

Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    No, platypuses are not bipedal, they don't rely on their eyesight, they don't have color vision, nor are they particular vocal, and as far as I know, their hearing is not in the same range.
    Errm, the only thing which is correct here is that they're not bipedal. A platypus has reptilian color vision the same sort as is found in birds. Odds are it sees in full color detail, it has fewer cone cells than most mammals but that doesn't necessarily mean it's eyes are bad, they're definitely evolved to see in shallow water however despite the fact modern platypus close their eyes when diving. Platypus are vocal they coo like pigeons. Platypus have hearing similar to that of most mammals and hear sounds in the human range quite well but are also adapted to hear much higher pitches which is similar to birds. Their bills are an example of convergent evolution and share many traits with duck bills. Platypus have surprisingly strong sense of smells. They lay eggs, build nests of twigs and sticks, they emit an oily substance which waterproofs their fur. Etc Etc. Frankly they have traits of all of the animals and if you're vague enough you might as well compare them to fish. This is why statements like "honorary" are nothing more than vague simplifications with no meaning.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Variations on a theme: https://www.wired.com/2007/09/birds-honorary/

I am pretty certain a careful search will retrieve earlier and better 'honorary' articles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12