Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

Yup, that's what will make it 'complex'.

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Ok, so I only just now realized that I've been modding all my mods with reduced brightness settings for I don't know how many years now, which of course affects the brightness of every aspect of the visuals used (UI, textures, menus). Not a huge deal. Once I've released the mod I'd recommend people playing the with similar reduced brightness settings as I'm doing at the moment. It was a bit of a "Doh!" moment for me.

Development is in a bit of a lull. I'm working on and off on the building icons and UI elements inbetween other stuff that I'm doing. It's a bit boring and it's going slowly but I've settled with imperfect and good enough building icons right now that do the job for now.
    Last edited by Razor; November 20, 2019 at 01:14 PM.

I don't have much experience with icons and design, so I can't help you out there, If you need any help with scripts or edb files, I'll be happy to help.

Btw, are you planning to implement some sort of imperial court rank system? It would be a great addition to the game (even if not now, maybe at a later stage). The ranks could be represented as a trait, which gives the daimyo more legitimacy (a new stat instead of authority/piety). Higher legitimacy would increase relations with other factions/ cause enemy troops to lose morale (as they were fighting the legitimate government). These ranks could go hand in hand with the faction system mentioned earlier. These are just some of my thoughts.

An imperial court rank system would indeed be a nice feature to have. It don't suppose it would be that difficult. Perhaps it could be tied to Papal missions, like in vanilla M2TW where players are asked to for example build a church in a certain region? Overall relations with the imperial court should also be taken into account for that matter. Tieing it to the faction score is also a possibility. All great ideas.

And effects could be improved authority and piety? I mean those are features that would describe the legitimacy of a daimyo's power after all.

It's all a matter of how to implement this feature. I'd most probably not implement something like that in the first release, but I'd definitely want that to be included in a later update.
    Last edited by Razor; November 22, 2019 at 08:36 AM.

Maybe it would be bettter to represent the imperial court system with a mix of ancillaries and traits, especially since you can have unique ancillaries that would allow you to limit how many Generals can get certain positions.

Are you working on the buildings?

Well, personally I'm not too fond of an overly complicated system of ancillaries and traits. It's something that I need to look into, however everything will be taken into consideration.

And yes, I'm working on the buildings, mostly the building icons. I'm trying to do one building tree section a day, but it's very tedious.

Indeed, it is a tedious job. Remember to write something on all the building lines in the export_buildings, if not it crashes.

Blog Entries

Don't forget the 'name' line in there, eg {buildingtree_name}Summary Name of building tree

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Indeed, it is a tedious job. Remember to write something on all the building lines in the export_buildings, if not it crashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Don't forget the 'name' line in there, eg {buildingtree_name}Summary Name of building tree
    Yep, done all that already.

Just a quick update. I'm still working on the building cards, but I've also modified the campaign map. Something that always bothered me about the map was the lack various smaller/minor mountain passes in Shinano and Kai regions. The Takeda clan was comfortably tucked into the mountains and only had a few passes to work with. Not anymore. I've added multiple passes around Takato, mount Fuji, the Tenryu river as well as the approach to Nagashino as happened prior to the actual battle of Nagashino.
    I've also took on the effort on modifying the UI. It's still a work in progress and some elements may be temporary, but I feel it's coming together quite nicely.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0165.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	360191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0168.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	320.2 KB 
ID:	360189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0166.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	308.1 KB 
ID:	360190

Also, in one of my testplays I had a battle on a lovely map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0162.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	360188

Cheers!
    Last edited by Razor; December 12, 2019 at 09:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Nice pic, only mount Fuji missing

Great to see you're still going with this

Can't wait to see more. About the unit cards, are those just place holder or you plan on keeping them? Same question about the clan colors. I see that at least all the major clans you showed by now have the same scheme as in shogun 2, and most of the minor ones it seems too. Not that it's bad or anything, I like the clans from S2, but it would be cool to see something new, and maybe a bit more historical

Keep it up man. The map looks great!
    Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Shogun 2 Mod

Nice pic, only mount Fuji missing
    Indeed. I've got to try out the area around mount Fuji someday in the battle editor. Surely there must be a big mountain somewhere in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Collateral_dmg View Post
    Great to see you're still going with this

Can't wait to see more. About the unit cards, are those just place holder or you plan on keeping them? Same question about the clan colors. I see that at least all the major clans you showed by now have the same scheme as in shogun 2, and most of the minor ones it seems too. Not that it's bad or anything, I like the clans from S2, but it would be cool to see something new, and maybe a bit more historical

Keep it up man. The map looks great!
    I'm moving onwards slowly but surely.

The unit cards are intended to be placeholders. I'm going to change them once I've finished my very own unit models, which will take a while. For now both the unit cards and the current mdels do their job pretty decently.

As far as the faction colors are concerned, they are a mix of faction colors used in Shogun 2 and the RTW mod Ran no Jidai as well as Nobunaga's Ambition. The faction colors are all matched to one another more or less to prevent too similar colors sitting next to one another. Forget about historical colors, because you'd get too many identical color schemes which would make it hard to distinguish one faction from another. I've decided to use colors that work with a few nods to Shogun 2, Ran no Jidai and Nobunaga's Ambition. However there will still be a few new colors as well.

Thanks for the heads up!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Indeed. I've got to try out the area around mount Fuji someday in the battle editor. Surely there must be a big mountain somewhere in the background.
    It's a pity that the 'volcano\settlement in the battle background' mechanic like in RTW doesn't work anymore.

AntonisTheGreek's Avatar Senator

It's a pity that the 'volcano\settlement in the battle background' mechanic like in RTW doesn't work anymore.
    Could we make a custom tile to circumvent this limitation?

It is indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by AntonisTheGreek View Post
    Could we make a custom tile to circumvent this limitation?
    I'm not sure. As far as I know you can only place ambient stuff on the battlefield itself, not outside of it, which is where the settlements and the volcanoes in the background would be located. I'm not sure if it's possible to circumvent this by moving the actual meshes of the models far away from the central pivot, so that when you place the ambient model on the battlemap, it would actually appear far away in the background. However: 1) it's a lot of hassle, 2) it probably won't look too great because it probably won't blend in very well with the landscape beyond the battlemap borders, 3) I'm not even sure if it will render properly. Truth is, I don't know of anyone who has tried this before.

According to leo.civil.uefs in this post there doesn't seem to be a limit on the amount of custom tiles that you can include in the mod. I wouldn't be surprised if there actually is one, but most likely no mod has ever reached that limit yet (I think).
    Last edited by Razor; January 18, 2020 at 03:40 PM.

All of a sudden we find ourselves to be well into 2020! So, what's the news for this mod?
    Well, I've been diving into AI, scripting and learning traits lately. It's not too difficult to understand, but it is big and overwhelming considering what you can potentially do with it. But, as always, development is progressing steadily.

First, the AI. As we all know, the AI can appear to be a bit random at times and doesn't behave how it should behave within the context of the Sengoku era. Usually factions only have one AI profile that they will stick to throughout the whole campaign that determines their decision-making and priorities concerning defending, diplomacy and invading enemy provinces. Although this can do its job in a more freeform empire-building campaign, it will show its limitations when the campaign is set in a more specific setting, such as in the Sengoku era where the AI sometimes needs more focus. One profile that fits all, can have undesired effects in certain situations for some factions. At the moment I'm working out different campaign AI profiles for all the factions in order to let their AI behave more appropriately to their situation during different stages of the campaign.

I plan to make every faction go through several stages, some of them unique to their situation. This is the general idea:

1) There's a start profile where factions will consolidate their power in a region or province and prioritize going after rebels.
    2) When that's established and they've conquered specific regions, a script will change the AI profile of that faction and the AI profile will switch to an AI that will prioritize going after direct rival factions as is defined in their AI profile.
    3) If direct rival factions have been taken out, then the AI will switch to a more standard AI profile aimed at expansion.
    4) When around 20 or more regions have been conquered the AI will start to disregard the authority of the Ashikaga Shogunate/Imperial Court and will directly challenge it by conquering Kyoto if it neighbors it and keeping it for itself. If Kyoto is conquered and isn't returned to the Ashikaga Shogunate, then after a number of turns a number of factions (if still alive) will seek to declare war on the faction owning Kyoto and liberate Kyoto and reinstall the Ashikaga Shogunate. Think of the Asai clan, Asakura clan, Miyoshi clan and the Ikko-ikki.

For example, the Shimazu will focus on attacking rebel territory first, until they conquer Shibushi and Kimotsuki. Then the Shimazu will switch to an AI focusing on war with the Ito clan. After the Ito are finished, the Otomo will become the next priority target. After Kyushu is conquered it will probably push further into Honshu to achieve the victory conditions.

Another example is the Oda. The Oda start with Owari already united, but they will on the brink of war with the Tokugawa and the Imagawa while the relationship with the Saito is also a bit strained. The Oda will likely try to achieve an alliance with the Saito in order for them to deal with the Imagawa and Tokugawa. When the threat of the Imagawa and the Tokgawa is dealt with (through either conquest or peace), the Oda will turn their focus to the Saito clan in Mino province. When the Saito clan is conquered the Oda will expand and ultimately conquer Kyoto (or die trying).

Another example is the Takeda. The Takeda will start as allies with the Imagawa and will try to seek an alliance with the Hojo (and vice versa) in order for the three to focus on expansion elsewhere (Imagawa versus Oda, the Hojo versus the Uesugi and eastward regions). The Takeda will focus on invading rebel territory and the Uesugi, until the regions that make up Shinano province are conquered. Then they will try to seek peace and turn on the Imagawa and maybe the Hojo as well. If that's settled, The Takeda will try to focus on the Tokugawa and then the Oda and then the Saito (if they're all still alive). Then they will expand and ultimately conquer Kyoto (or die trying).

After this phase has passed (and the Ashikaga Shogunate isn't reinstalled) the next phase will start: the endgame. If the AI faction has consolidated its possession of Kyoto and the Ikko-ikki stronghold at Ishiyama Honganji/Osaka is captured and the faction leader dies, there will be a chance that a new faction (the Toyotomi clan?), will spawn in Osaka that will take over control of the AI faction that controls Kyoto. The Toyotomi clan will focus on conquest and making vassals in an effort to unite Japan.

If the Toyotomi faction leader dies, the bulk of the Toyotomi realm will be taken over by the next most powerful faction using scripts. Etc. Etc. Until one faction can claim victory, for which you have to own 100 regions including Kyoto, Osaka and Edo and possibly a few other regions.

Of course, the risk of using scripted AI is that the campaign might become too scripted and too predictable. Although I kind of agree with the argument in general, one cannot deny the fact that factions behave in a specific way depending on their surroundings and start with certain preferences and show some determintstic behaviour from the start to some extent. At the same time, there's still enough randomization going on to offer different outcomes in different playthroughs.

As for the endgame I want to prevent a situation where there are only a few massive factions stuck in an ugly grind to achieve their victory conditions. Using scripts like the Kalmar Union-script and Barons' Alliance-script will hopefully ease the issue and make the campaign more dynamic.

Anyway, I must stress that this is the basic idea behind it. The challenge is to actually implement this in a way that actually works.

As for the traits, I've been testing the waters with traits and adjusting triggers. Rebel named characters in castles and settlements will have an immovable trait that makes them immovable, while brigand armies and pirates that spawn on the map won't be affected by this trait.
    I've also implemented a few hidden traits of my own that give a number of famous characters unique names as the campaign progresses by using epithets. Yoshishge Otomo, will in the course of the campaign (if he's still alive) take on the name of Yoshishige "Sorin" Otomo. Harunobu Takeda, will take on the name Harunobu "Shingen" Takeda. Kagetora Nagao, will change his name to Kagetora "Kenshin" Nagao and ultimately Kagetora "Kenshin" Uesugi once a certain number of regions have been conquered and the Uesugi clan has been reconsolidated. Motoyasu Matsudaira will change his name to Motoyasu "Ieyasu" Tokugawa, and the Saito faction leader will have the unique name Toshimasa "Dosan" Saito.
    I plan to keep most of the M2TW traits intact for now and add a few of my own, since it appears that the whole trait system as used in vanilla M2TW is bugged and would need to be totally reworked in order to make it work correctly. I did remove the triggers of quite a number of vanilla M2TW traits, so they won't fire and characters will not gain them.
    Ancillaries will receive a similar treatment, but haven't been touched yet.

I've also been working on the campaign map. Lots of new passes and approaches have been added, especially in provinces that connect Shinano, Mikawa and Mino province and also Shikoku island.
    Also, permanent forts have been added, that act as smaller castles. I initially planned to include only a handful, but quite a few more have been added and even more will be added still. It won't be nearly as much as in the Dominion of the Sword mod, which has the map littered with permanent forts. Most regions won't have permanent forts, but some may have up to 2 or 3. I still allow forts to be built on the map, but I've set the cost to 15000, so the AI and most of all, players can't spam the map with permanent forts.

That's all for now.
    Last edited by Razor; January 30, 2020 at 10:04 PM.

Great!!! Keep up the great work. Could you upload some pics?

Sure I can. I'll post a number of pics showing a number of clans and their start positions as of now with the permanent preplaced forts that I mentioned. I plan to let the Hojo clan have the best fortification network for defending their territory, which is what they were famous for and allowed them to withstand several invasions from the Uesugi clan and the Takeda clan, until they were finally defeated by Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1590, who had by that point most of Japan under his control.

I've turned the Ikko-ikki stronghold of Ishiyama Honganji into pretty much a fortress with all three river crossings guarded by forts. As you know, one doesn't simply walk into Mord... I mean Ishiyama Honganji . Another Ikko-ikki stronghold at Nagashima is turned into a proper island with forts guarding the side entry points. If you conquer one of the forts you can cross over to the island. Historically, you had to take a boat to get from one side to the other side (bypassing the island of Nagashima itself). It was possible to cross the wide, but shallow river at certain places but portraying it ingame with just river crossings had an undesired effect on the AI, where the Oda or Tokugawa or Imagawa were simply crossing the river, moving across Ikko-ikki territory and laying siege to the rebel settlements that lay farther ahead if they had no other enemies around. Turning Nagashima into an island largely fixes this issue and makes it harder to conquer Nagashima as a whole.

Still, everything is work in progress and therefore subject to change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Takeda.jpg   Shimazu.jpg   Oda and Nagashima island.jpg   Miyoshi and Ishiyama Honganji.jpg   Imagawa.jpg  

Mori.jpg  
    Last edited by Razor; January 28, 2020 at 08:08 PM.

The map keeps looking better and better. Those building icons also look good. Thanks for your great work. I can't wait to play this, Shogun 2 and Sphere of Influence can only scratch my itch for so long .

I don't mean to impose, but could you please show us the map around Shikoku (and those beautiful mountain passes around Tosa) ?