Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Default Re: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Hey Swagger, Long time no see indeed. Time flies...

Yeah it's a curse that many mods suffer from. Although I still prefer the feel of the RTW/M2TW engine than the modern warscape engine, which is what got me going again.

I still have the Shizoku no Senso mod on my HD from back then. To be frank, I can't use a whole lot, but if I find something that I can use, I will.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by and showing your support!
    You're most welcome.

Any chance you can upload it to me? (I can't find it anymore hehe xD)

Anyway, i forgot to add, there's obviously stuff that's not of my autorship, cedric37's [exquisite] artwork comes to mind, so you'll need their permission more than mine.

All the best!
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

No problem. I'll message cedric37 when necessary.

Cybermat47's Avatar Libertus

Can’t wait to see how this turns out!

Razzor great job! masterpiece! really looking forward

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I believe that the Date should have a neighbour to contest against them.

Ok, here are a few of a battle between the Oda clan and the Shimazu clan. As you can see I've created a new sashimono model and replaced the old ones used by the units from the Imjin War mod. The nobori isn't quite present as such yet, however you could consider the unit flags to be the nobori.
    This look awesome mate! I'll keep a close eye on your WIP. Meanwhile, I don't know if you ever heard of the mod Rise of the Three Kingdoms, but those guys could help you for sure making your mod awesome. They have a system of missions that is very awesome, events make the game so much more interesting. Anyway, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
    Can’t wait to see how this turns out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darhan View Post
    Razzor great job! masterpiece! really looking forward
    Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnat View Post
    I believe that the Date should have a neighbour to contest against them.
    The Date have the Ashina and the Mogami to contend with as well as the Satake a little bit further to the south and the Nanbu to the very north of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by FoggyFogFiggy View Post
    This look awesome mate! I'll keep a close eye on your WIP. Meanwhile, I don't know if you ever heard of the mod Rise of the Three Kingdoms, but those guys could help you for sure making your mod awesome. They have a system of missions that is very awesome, events make the game so much more interesting. Anyway, good luck!
    Thanks, and yes, I have heard of RoTK. I have even played it for a tiny little bit. I always look around left and right and see if other mods have ideas that I like. Personally I'm not too fond of having missions as I prefer to have more of an open sandbox game experience and having missions feels like the game is forcing me to do something. However, I am thinking of implementing a few missions to point the player to Kalmar Union-esque events for certain factions, like the Mori taking over the Ouchi clan.

Updated the first post. Real life is taking up quite some time. I still work on this mod whenever I can.

So here's a few updates:

- I've started populating the campaign map with historical characters and what not. I've nearly finished just Kyushu, so there's a lot that needs to be done. But: big things have small beginnings.

- During testing a number of clans tend to die out rather quickly when they start losing territory and family members. The fact that I had 12 turns per year implemented resulted in children taking forever to come of age, while at the same time there are more turns and therefore more opportunities for factions to lose their precious family members. To solve this issue I'm thinking of using 6 or 4 turns per year.

- Startdate is now 1549. This tiny change is more convenient for history's sake and alliances and the overall situation on the map while still being able to have a few major characters (Oda Nobunaga) pre-placed on the campaign map when you start a campaign.

- I felt a bit unhappy with the Shoni clan being a faction and having the Ryuzoji there too. The Shoni were on their way out for a long time in this period and Northern Kyushu felt too crowded when I put the Ryuzoji clan on the map together with the Shoni clan and when I set the Ryuzoji as an emergent faction chances were that the faction slot would be wasted because they would never really emerge to begin with (unless scripted, which would kind of negate having the Shoni clan as a faction to begin with). The solution was to simply delete the Shoni clan as a faction and have them represented as rebels/a minor faction. In its stead I've added the Ito clan so that the Shimazu have a faction to contend with early on in the South. The Ito were also the main rivals of the Shimazu in this period in Southern Kyushu and the Shimazu only managed to overcome them as late as the 1570s, which together with winning a decisive victory over the Otomo opened up the opportunity to conquer almost all of Kyushu in the 1580s before they were beaten back by Toyotomi Hideyoshi.

- to accomodate the Ito clan, I've deleted a few regions in the southern Kinai area and added regions in Southern Kyushu. Aya is replaced by Sadowara (the main base of the Ito clan) and I've added Miyakono separate from Obi, which is now a smaller coastal region. I've also added Sashiki (also on Kyushu) and Hirai (Kanto region).

- I'm working on reverting back the Pope faction to the Shogunate. Using the Pope faction solely for the Emperor that's doing nothing and having no real impact on the game felt like a wasted potential of the pope mechanics that M2TW has to offer. There may be a few quirks that I may run into when testing, but at some point I (and we) have to accept that this is a game and there's no way to represent everything with 100% accuracy in M2TW.

- The previous point opens up an extra faction slot that I was going to use for the Hosokawa, but now I'm leaning towards the Ikko-ikki of the Hongan-ji again. Having settlements like Nagashima and Osaka being occupied by rebels causes normal factions like the Oda and the Miyoshi to attack these settlements very early on (which is what factions do in M2TW: prioritizing attacking rebels above normal factions), which has a negative effect on their expansion.

- I've added the Kono clan back into the mod. It's mostly a measure to prevent the Mori and Ouchi from doing naval invasions on Shikoku trying to conquer rebel provinces (which in M2TW the AI prioritizes over attacking normal factions) spreadjng its forces too thin. Thinking about it, the presence of the Kono clan does make the gameplay for the Chosokabe clan a bit more interesting, although I have to tone down the Kono a bit as they in turn tend to invade the rebel provinces on Chugoku. Oh well, that requires some delicate balancing and testing I guess.

- Oh yeah, I've finally made a logo for this mod! It was long overdue. The logo is a mix of Shogun TW and Shogun 2 TW styles. I hope you all like it.

Still all is work in progress and subject to change.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Razor; July 13, 2019 at 10:18 PM.

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Is there a way that a custom battle version is avaiable?
    I would love to make a cinematic for the mod!

Hi there folks,

A bit of an update:

- The map is almost fully populated. I only need to do the eastern part of the map.

- There have been a few modifications of the map (provinces, settlement names and locations, adjustments of Osaka area with altered rivers and settlement locations, adjustments to lake Biwa and lake Kasumigaura to make them look more accurate for the Sengoku period, pathways through mountains, general river adjustments etc.).

- I've added a number of forts to the map that represent smaller castles and fortified temples. For example Shigisan was first a castle in Kawachi province, but due to alterations in that region has become a fort in Tsutsui domain guarding (though, not blocking) the passage from Tsutsui domain into Kawachi province, which is a more accurate representation. Enryakuji is also added as a fort blocking the passage in the mountains between Kyoto domain and Sakamoto domain, so if you want to get through, you'd have to actually attack the temple Oda Nobunaga-style. Negoro is added, etc. etc. At some point I would like to distinguish between forts and fortified temples and have separate models for the campaign map as well as in battle.

- I've added a few scripts to push the campaign in a certain direction and make a number of events happen that would otherwise never happen if you let the game play itself:
    1) The Oda will inherit the Saito clan if certain conditions are met.
    2) The Mori will inherit the Ouchi clan if certain conditions are met as well
    3) The Tokugawa will inherit the Imagawa if certain conditions are met
    4) The Tokugawa faction AI starts frozen and only becomes active when the faction leader of the Imagawa (Yoshimoto Imagawa) dies, which marked the start of the independence of the Tokugawa from the Imagawa in reality.
    5) Ishiyama Honganji/Osaka has a garrison script to represent supporters of the Jodo Shinshu sect gathering at the temple to protect it from the attackers. If Ishiyama Honganji/Osaka falls, then the Ikko-ikki faction will disband.

- I've changed the style of the logo. Although I quite liked the red and gold coloring, it didn't quite feel "Sengoku" enough to me. I feel that the new style fits better.

A few pics to please the eye:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sengoku - Total War .jpg   5.jpg   4.jpg   3.jpg   2.jpg  

1.jpg  
    Last edited by Razor; August 23, 2019 at 07:21 PM.

Also, here's a nice comparison shot of a very old version of the map and the new map:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I can see that you have put the farmlands texture in the map. DO you know how they work? In Medieval 2 Vanilla, when you build farms, the region would get covered with farms, do you know how to do that in the game? And like make it specific for some regions?

Yes, I know how they work. The farm texture will show up on tiles that are painted with low/medium/high fertility color once farms have been built. As for specific regions, pretty much all regions have at least some of these tiles present, but some areas have a lot more than others.

Yes, I know how they work. The farm texture will show up on tiles that are painted with low/medium/high fertility color once farms have been built. As for specific regions, pretty much all regions have at least some of these tiles present, but some areas have a lot more than others.
    Thanks Razor!

You're welcome.

With your permission, I would like to make a comprehensively detailed version of the map that has relevant and necessary data such as road placement and terrain types.

Sure, do as you like. Thing is, though, that the map is already pretty much finished. All that is left to do is fine-tuning here and there when needed.
    I also have some info on roads from old Japanese maps: http://japanmaps.davidrumsey.com/lun...&mi=3&trs=1937

But new and extra info and input is always welcome.

Okay then.
    So can you share the map_regions.png?
    The one here is in jpg which has lossy compression.

Ok, I might as well post a small update on what I've been doing and what's on my mind.

1) I've decided to rename the papal states as the Imperial Court again, with the Emperor as the "Pope". The Ashikaga Shogunate is now represented as a rebel subfaction with a named character, Yoshiteru Ashikaga, governing Kyoto, while I've moved the "Pope faction" to an isolated island that can't be invaded. I've decided to do this because my tests showed that factions (most notably the Miyoshi clan and the Oda clan) when they expand towards Kyoto were outright reluctant to attack Kyoto, because it was owned by the "Pope faction". The campaign stalled at that point and didn't quite progress as I would have liked to see; it went totally against the goal of the campaign and how clans would have acted during the Sengoku era (i.e. take Kyoto and unite Japan).

In addition I will add a script changing the faction symbol of the Imperial Court to the faction symbol of the faction owning Kyoto, so if the Miyoshi clan conquers Kyoto, the Imperial Court faction symbol will have the Miyoshi clan faction symbol. To simulate that the Ashikaga Shogunate is in control of the Imperial Court at the start of the game, the faction symbol of the Imperial Court will have the Ashikaga Shogunate symbol.

The College of Cardinals will represent the Court and the Cardinals will be renamed to Court Nobles which you can recruit in Kyoto to gain influence in the Imperial Court itself. "Piety" will be renamed to "Etiquette".

2) I've added several new mountain passes and closed a few after more careful study of the terrain using Google Maps and looking at old road maps and reading information on certain passes and rivers (like the wild Tenryu river).

3) Tokugawa AI is frozen until the Imagawa faction leader dies or when it gets directly attacked. The latter part is important as the faction would do nothing when it was under siege and the attacker would win by starving out the settlement. That wasn't what I had in mind.

4) Factions will get a garrison script for their core territory. It kind of breaks the immersion when you see for example the Hojo clan lose Nirayama or Odawara to the Imagawa clan just like that, while the Hojo actually built a whole fort system around Odawara to defend against incursions and sieges on their capital.

5) Some time ago I had been working on the building roster, but I haven't really looked at it again. After reading some information, I've come to realize that the dojo system (sword dojo, spear dojo, archery dojo) wasn't really existant in the Sengoku era as we know it from the Edo period onwards, so I must rework how units are being recruited. I do intend on implementing the different dojo buildings as guilds that give XP bonuses to units and allow the recruitment of a kensei/hero unit of the respective unit type.

6) I really really can't wait to begin working on the units and more specifically, the 3D models. Right now I have modified the units from the Imjin War mod, but if I really want to put my own stamp on it it would be through making my very own units. At the same time I know this can (and probably will) be a huge time sink, so I'd rather have the campaign part (buildings, traits, UI) complete before I start working on that.

7) Does anyone know how to create custom settlements? That would be lovely! As of now I only have the M2TW settlements with a possibility of implementing the Imjin War custom settlements (but without permission that's a bit of a no no for me). What would be epic is when someone pops up and is able to create new settlements that fit the Sengoku era, i.e. castles with multiple rings of walls and moats etc.

Information/input on buildings, a list of natural disasters, possible ideas for traits, game mechanics, plain pictures etc., everything is welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Arima View Post
    Okay then.
    So can you share the map_regions.png?
    The one here is in jpg which has lossy compression.
    Sure, here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_regions.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	359471