Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Default Re: Sengoku: Total War (a Shogun mod for M2TW)

I'm working on the stratmap models now and I've come to realize that the differences between a flatland castle and a hilltop castle is perhaps not as clear-cut as I would like it to be as there are lots of variations in-between. I had a similar problem when I was working on the campaign map: how determine mountains from hills, and hills from forests on Google Earth. There don't seem to be clear boundaries. Anyway, pretty much all castles were hilltop castles (where a 'castle' was sometimes little more than an elaborate shed/barn on a hill with a palisade and ditch around it) so for now I'll be doing just the hilltop castles with the big Azuchi/Osaka/Edo-style castles as the highest tier.

I also cut down the size of units in half. Ashigaru units will have 100 men, Samurai will have 50 men and specialized units like Nodachi will have 25 men. I'm aware of the fact that some people may not like this and nothing is set in stone, but it makes battles (especially siege battles) much more flexible and it also helps preventing somewhat odd AI behaviour, that likes to put units like pikemen and arquebusiers into square block formations. Whatever the unit size, the AI will always reform the unit formation of the pike units to either 16 or 20 men wide when they are about to attack. so if your pike unit has 200 men and is in a 5 men deep formation it's 40 men wide. But when the AI attacks with its pikemen it will reform its units from 5 deep, 40 wide to 10 deep, 20 wide causing gaps in the front line. By decreasing the unit size the pike unit is already 20 men wide and the unit won't reform their formation as much, maintaining the front line.

Also, would this armour still fit the Sengoku period? It's armour that was already starting to get outdated at the time, but it's still based on Mori Motonari's armour and I thought that this armour setup would fit high-ranking samurai like family members within a faction quite nicely:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samurai_general 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	351051

Any thoughts?

I've finished the stratmap model for generic family members. I felt that a jinbaori was necessary for the higher tier samurai commanders. Adding the jinbaori over the armour and making it look right was a bit of a challenge. Over time I will include more texture variations, probably with some faction colors to help distinguish the armies from one another. And a posing shot just for fun:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samurai_general 4 posing.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	351100

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

This type of armour could be fine why not. Lamellar type was more traditional and plate was more like modern (at the time) invention mostly influenced by the introduction of gunpowder, and both were used, so its really up to you i guess. Unless there are any historians around here who can shed more light on this matter.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

OMG
    I've been waiting for a mod like this for such a long time! Ran no Jidai was just an excellent mod and this I suspect will be just a great!
    I'm curious, will we be seeing any Western Units, perhaps as recruitable mercenaries for Christian factions? I don't know how historically accuarate the presence of such units would be, but it would sure be a cool little benefit (besides the technology bonus) for Christian factions.

Im no expert or historian but i dont think there should be ANY western factions or units included, only Japanese. The westerners didnt participate in the wars directly, they were only merchants and missionaries, no?

Well, westerners did participate in a small number of siege battles in which they supported allied daimyos with artillery fire from their ships. Don't worry, I won't be including western factions. However, I will probably include a few western units as mercenaries (Most definitely ships, arquebusiers, cannons and ships) that can only be recruited by a christian triggered by a christian trait. I may even make a distinction between the catholic Spanish and Portuguese on the one hand and the protestant Dutch on the other hand.

I'm not sure if I should make it possible for whole factions to switch religions, because that would kind of break the whole daimyo-shogun/emperor structure because the shogun (and indirectly the emperor) is actually the pope in M2TW. On the other hand, if a faction would turn completely christian it would be expelled from Kyoto and become a target for a military campaign. It does offer an interesting 'what if'- scenario, but I'm not sure if I should take that path...

Both Portuguese and Dutch eh? Now it'll be like the old Shogun 1 instead of Shogun 2

Domesticus

Hi Razor!

How are you doing with the changes?

Some news?

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    Hi Razor!

How are you doing with the changes?

Some news?
    No real news yet. I'm taking a little break, because I've been working on it for a few months non-stop. All factions and most of the units have been implemented, but as of now the campaign is mental as the AI is constantly switching alliances, declaring war and making peace etc. Keeping track of all the diplomatic stances is pretty hard to do. Playing as the Imagawa I've seen the Oda take over Mino Province, but then getting obliterated by the Azai, and I myself was taking a beating by the Hojo, Takeda and Matsudaira. It was quite a campaign, but I got overwhelmed by the odds. I've seen several vassals too. There were also quite a number of excommunications and crusades, but I need to modify crusading armies as they wither away after a few turns, rendering crusades moot. It's a bit unbalanced as of yet, but it's playable and I think this is a good moment to take a break and continue working on it in a few weeks when I'm all charged up again.
    Last edited by Razor; October 29, 2018 at 05:10 PM.

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

I don't know why I didn't discover this sooner! Love all the screenshots you've shown us so far, and I hope you end up taking your time to release your best work. Great job!

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    No real news yet. I'm taking a little break, because I've been working on it for a few months non-stop. All factions and most of the units have been implemented, but as of now the campaign is mental as the AI is constantly switching alliances, declaring war and making peace etc. Keeping track of all the diplomatic stances is pretty hard to do. Playing as the Imagawa I've seen the Oda take over Mino Province, but then getting obliterated by the Azai, and I mysalf was taking a beating by the Hojo, Takeda and Matsudaira. It was quite a campaign, but I got overwhelmed by the odds. I've seen several vassals too. There were also quite a number of excommunications and crusades, but I need to modify crusading armies as they wither away after a few turns, rendering crusades moot. It's a bit unbalanced as of yet, but it's playable and I think this is a good moment to take a break and continue working on it in a few weeks when I'm all charged up again.

Can you create a strap for the helmet (Jingasa) of the ashigaru?

Domesticus

Hello!

I have made changes to an ashigaru unit of the Oda clan.

I apologize for the quality of the images.

If you need my material, just ask!

https://upload.forumfree.net/i/ff924..._44_30_49_.png

https://upload.forumfree.net/i/ff924..._43_34_81_.png

Last edited by Crociato78; May 20, 2018 at 04:16 PM.

Any news Razor?

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

I am waiting for this i would like to see how did you replaced the Pope with the shogunate it is very complicated method , its better to use culture based system than a religion one bec the heretics problem you can just make Noble and rebellions which will represent the authority of the leader more Authority less rebellions and vice versa.
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

Back to work with you, we need this mod!
    I kid, I kid
    Hope you're well and I'm looking forward to see more from this mod!

Domesticus

I was hoping for an alpha or beta version to come out!

Loving what I am seeing so far!

How is it going this project? I'm very interested about it.

Hi all, I'm back on it. Sorry for the long break. It lasted a bit longer than I anticipated and in the meantime I've moved to a new and bigger house with my girlfriend a few weeks ago, so there are a lot of things happening in real life.

As far as the mod is concerned:

1) I've edited crusades so that the crusading army doesn't start losing any units when it takes too long to reach the crusade target.
    2) I've opened up a few choke points so that armies can actually move around the map and cross rivers and don't get stuck because the path is blocked by a settlement from another faction. It gets a bit tricky if the AI has armies standing at the choke points, still blocking the path of crusading armies.
    3) I'm working on a building roster, which is coming together quite nicely.
    4) I'm planning to use the guild system for establishing specific martial art schools (kenjutsu, sojutsu, kyujutsu, bajutsu, ninjutsu). Factions can build basic dojo buildings (from which units get recruited) and if a certain amount of points have been accumulated the faction has the option to establish a specific martial art school giving bonuses to specific units depending on the type of school. Basically famous schools like Jigen-ryu and Koga-ryu etc. are all incorporated in the general formats of Kenjutsu and Ninjutsu schools. Just as with guilds you can have just one school per region. The school can be upgraded to famous school (one per faction) and legendary schools (one per game) by accumulating "guild points" just like guilds in M2TW.

So here are a few things that have kept me busy lately. Time to get things going.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Any news Razor?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.E View Post
    I am waiting for this i would like to see how did you replaced the Pope with the shogunate it is very complicated method , its better to use culture based system than a religion one bec the heretics problem you can just make Noble and rebellions which will represent the authority of the leader more Authority less rebellions and vice versa.
    That's also an option. I just chose to do it by using religions instead.

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    Back to work with you, we need this mod!
    I kid, I kid
    Hope you're well and I'm looking forward to see more from this mod!
    I'm well. I'm just busy trying to live a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    I was hoping for an alpha or beta version to come out!
    Yeah I understand. I know I've pinned down a date earlier, but that's not working for me. Have some patience and give it some time and something will eventually pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by sorinel1991 View Post
    Loving what I am seeing so far!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by prince-93 View Post
    How is it going this project? I'm very interested about it.
    It's progressing...

Wonderful!